Literature / Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls
Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls
is a series of children's books by Meg Cabot
about a 9-year-old fourth grader named Allie Finkle. Allie keeps a book of personal rules to live by in order to get through the tough situations life brings, as well as just personal pet peeves of hers ("Never eat anything red."). The first two books in the series focus on her settling into her new home and school after she's moved.
Provides Examples Of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Joey Fields to Allie.
- Age-Appropriate Angst: Allie's biggest problems involve her parents moving into a fixer-upper, and being friends with a Spoiled Brat.
- Alpha Bitch: Cheyenne. Missy may also count.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Kevin and Mark.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Missy.
- The Bully: Rosemary in the second book.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin': Allie breaks a promise to attend Twirltacular so that she can attend Brittany Hauser's birthday party at Glitterati when invited. Brittany proceeds to bully her for most of the party, to the point that Allie fakes sick and leaves when she hears that Brittany is going to draw all over her face when she's asleep.
- Cute Kitten: Mewsie!
- Five-Man Band:
- Girl Posse: Cheyenne, Marianne, and Dominique.
- Heel–Face Turn: Rosemary, who threatened to beat up Allie in the second book but eventually joined her group of friends.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Allie gives up her opportunity to switch with another teammate during a field trip to help a boy who gets bullies.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Mary Kay gets her way by crying a lot. Allie lampshades it in the first book.
- Jerkass: Cheyenne.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Rosemary.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Brittany spends most of her birthday bullying Allie and trying to make her miserable. When Allie fakes sick and leaves, Brittany's pranks with the girls lead to them and her mother getting kicked out of the Hilton hotel and banned for life from all Hiltons.
- Manipulative Bitch: Cheyenne.
- Moment of Weakness: Allie gets invited to Brittany Hauser's birthday part the same day she promised to go to Twirltacular to support Erica's sister, Missy, who is competing. Allie at first refuses, until she learns that the party is at Glitterati, a makeover salon. She regrets making that decision.
- Ordinary Elementary School Student
- Real Life Writes the Plot: When Allie is cast as an evil queen in the school play, she bases the character off Cheyenne and Missy so she can better portray her.
- Rich Bitch: Brittany.
- Spoiled Brat: Cheyenne and Brittany.
- Token Good Teammate: Courtney is the only member of Brittany's Girl Posse who is nice to Allie, and warns her about Brittany's pranks.
- Tomboy: Rosemary
- Ungrateful Bastard: During a field trip, Mary Kay gets stung by a bee. Everyone runs away when Caroline says that bees will come and swarm. Only Allie stays and helps Mary Kay get to the office, missing part of an exhibit she wanted to see, encourages Mary Kay to stay, and lies about the sting not looking so bad. Of course, when Mary Kay looks in a mirror, she goes back on the brief camaraderie that she rekindled with Allie and starts crying again.
- We Used to Be Friends: Allie used to be friends with Mary Kay, a Spoiled Brat, until the latter made fun of her for keeping a list of rules and turned her into a pariah.