Funny / The Secret History
In the Novel:
- Bunny's essay on John Donne.
And as we leave Donne and Walton on the shores of Metahemeralism, we wave a fond farewell to those famous chums of yore.
- The frequent spot-on liberal arts school satire.
- Every single scene involving the owner of Redeemed Repairs.
- The scene where Richard and Judy Poovey are doing cocaine in the car park. Actually, any scene involving Judy Poovey.
- When, due to their extraordinarily formal appearance, the Six Student Clique are mistaken for Mormons by a waitress at a diner.
- A grumpy and sleep-deprived Francis losing his rag with Henry.
"I don't want a goddamn doughnut!"
- All Bunny's friends being coerced into staying at the Corcorans' house before the funeral, and the absolute ordeal that ensues.
- Camilla has to bunk with Marion:
"Oh, you don't have it so bad," she said. "Last night I had to sleep with Marion."
Francis's eyes widened with admiration and horror. "Oh, really? Oh, I say. That's awful," he said in a hushed, respectful voice.
- Mr Corcoran telling a wildly misremembered story about talking Henry out of buying an aeroplane.
- Charles insisting that he take a mangy feral cat to Francis's house. Not only does it rough both Francis and Richard up considerably, it then has an attack of diarrhoea in Francis's car.
- "Asparagus is in season."