Funny: Mother of Learning
- In Chapter 5, during Zorian's second loop, he is sitting in class trying to figure out how to send an anonymous warning about the coming invasion when Benisek looks over his shoulder and reads what he is writing. Two days later, after Benisek has convinced the entire class Zorian has a secret crush on someone, Neolu (another classmate) gives him a list of books to look for. Books on how to send messages and gifts that couldn't be identified to their sender.
Apparently if you call such advice Forbidden Love: Mysteries of Scarlet Letters Revealed and phrase it as relationship advice you can get straight past the usual censorship such topics would normally be subjected to.
- In Chapter 6, Byrn tries to help Zorian with his research question.
"The academy library-"
"First thing I tried," Zorian sighed. "I'm not stupid, you know?"
The boy rolled his eyes at him. "Did you search for the books yourself or did you ask the librarian to help you? Mother works as a librarian, and they have these special divination spells that let them find things in minutes that would take you decades if you search by title and skimming alone."
Zorian opened his mouth before closing it. Ask the librarian for help, huh? Okay, maybe he is stupid.
- In Chapter 8, when Zach Noveda comes up with a theory to explain why Zorian is behaving differently than he did in prior reverts, the latter's reaction is priceless.
- In Chapter 11, Zorian (remembering what he was told about his being standoffish and unapproachable) decides to be nicer to his classmates, starting by answering Akoja's question about where he was yesterday instead of blowing her off. He then calls her arrogant almost immediately afterwards.
Well, so much for being nice to Akoja! She stomped off soon after that, shooting him a nasty glare.
Resolving to be more understanding towards people was hard.
- After one too many repetitions of "Good Morning, Zorian!" from his sister, Zorian lies very still, just long enough for her to start getting worried — then he screams as loud as he can into her face.
- In Chapter 17, after being told he is an empath, Zorian tries to get a second opinion from Imaya Kuroshka. She asks him a series of questions about his ability to detect moods, which culminates in him alluding to the 'pressure' that makes him so uncomfortable in crowds.
Imaya: That's... an interesting problem. Tell me, is the pressure constant or does it varies according to some criteria?
Zorian: It varies. The more people there are in a crowd and the more densely they're packed the stronger it is. It's also stronger if the crowd is...
[Zorian pauses as realization dawns]
Imaya: Yes? If the crowd is what?
Zorian: ...emotionally charged for some reason.
- Chapter 22: Zorian is assigned a Motor Mouth giant spider teacher.
Zorian: Does she come with an off button?