Twist is a 2003 Canadian indie film loosely based on Oliver Twist.In present-day Toronto, Dodge works as a male prostitute along with a few other boys in their late teens for Fagin. Fagin provides shelter as long as the boys work, but is constantly hounded by Bill Sikes for the money the boys bring in. Sikes' pregnant girlfriend, Nancy, works as a waitress in a cafe and is sympathetic toward the boys.Dodge discovers Oliver, a gorgeous young man with nowhere to live, and brings him into his world of hustling and drug abuse.It is not a feel-good movie.
Twist includes examples of the following tropes:
- Band of Brothels: Bill Sikes oversees Fagin's boys.
- Big Fun: Fagin. Although YMMV on whether he's this or a Fat Bastard.
- Break the Cutie: Oliver and Dodge.
- Brother-Brother Incest: What causes Dodge to completely lose it.
- Cast Full of Gay: Attack the rear, indeed...
- Darker and Edgier
- Death by Adaptation: Dodge.
- Depraved Homosexual: Dodge loses it at the end.
- Downer Ending
- Fat Bastard: Although YMMV on whether he's this or Big Fun.
- Gaydar: Dodge arguably has it.
- The Ghost: Bill Sikes.
- Greasy Spoon: Nancy works at one.
- Local Hangout: The Three Cripples.
- Must Have Nicotine: Dodge is rarely seen without a cigarette.
- My Secret Pregnancy: Possibly Nancy, as her pregnancy is never mentioned by any of the other characters and she appears to only be in the first trimester.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Dodge kills Bill as revenge for killing Nancy.
- Plucky Girl: Betsy, and to a lesser extent, Nancy.
- Pretty Boy: Oliver, and how!
- Promoted to Love Interest: Oliver and Dodge for each other.
- Rape as Drama / Rape Discretion Shot
- Recycled In Space: Oliver Twist in Toronto with aged-up characters that work as hustlers.
- Red Light District: Of course.
- Streetwalker: Dodge, Charley, Oliver, and the other boys.
- Wife-Basher Basher: Dodge kills Bill after Bill kills Nancy and her unborn child.