Mildred: Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?
Johnny: Whadda you got?The Wild One is a 1953 film starring Marlon Brando. While not his first film, it was one of the first to play off of his counter culture image and his portrayal as biker gang leader Johnny Strabler has been referenced and parodied in the decades since. The story involves a biker gang riding into a quiet town of "squares" and causing tension between the locals.Cool as Ice is a remake of this. Yeah.
- Badass Biker: Probably the most iconic portrayal.
- Evil Is Hammy: See the entry for Large Ham, below.
- The Fifties
- Gay Bravado: Chino makes some comments ("Johnny, I love ya!") that could be interpreted as this.
- Jive Turkey: All of the bikers.
- Large Ham: Lee Marvin as Chino, especially when compared to the relatively stoic Johnny. Apparently, this was in part due to Method Acting; Lee Marvin was actually drunk on the set for scenes where his character was (pretty much all of them).
- Menace Decay: From a modern point of view, Johnny's gang might come off as less "scary outlaw bikers" and more "typical obnoxious teenagers".
- Nice Hat: Johnny wears one.
- Perpetual Frowner: Johnny.
- Pop-Cultural Osmosis: This is one of those movies where you're more likely to see a parody before the real thing.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Chief Bleeker doesn't want to charge the bikers for a simple accident. In fact all of the police officers in the film seem reasonable, looking for a peaceful solution and trying to get the gang to leave rather than cause any riots.
- Ripped from the Headlines: The story is loosely based off of the events of the 1947 Hollister Riot.
- Shout-Out: Mutt Williams in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a reference to Johnny in looks, not so much in attitude.
- Teens Are Monsters
- Totally Radical: The bikers totally fit in this trope. One of the best example would be this "Dig the Rebop?" scene.
- Troubled, but Cute: Johnny.
- Uptight Loves Wild: There is some mutual affection between the Wild Johnny and the Uptight Kathie.