is a Prison Break
drama film set in a British prison and revolving around Frank Perry
, one of the oldest inmates who has long since given up hope. When he finds out his beloved daughter has become a drug addict and is near death following an overdose, he decides he’s to break free. He formulates a plan to escape, and the twin narratives of planning the escape and the actual escape are played simultaneously.
The film was very well-received despite limited release, and it finally gives the incredible Brian Cox
a starring role. The rest of the cast consists mostly of that guys
, including Damien Lewis, Joseph Fiennes, Dominic Cooper
, Liam Cunningham
and Steven Mackintosh
The Escapist provides examples of the following:
- The Alcatraz: A very creepy, very bizarre seemingly underground prison.
- Ax-Crazy: Tony. Lenny Drake borders on this at times.
- Dying Dream: Although it’s debatable. Frank clearly dies, but it’s implied that the escape was real and at the very least Lacey escaped.
- Ironic Echo: “You have one thing going for you, Frank. You’re too old to die young.”
- Trauma Conga Line: Lacey. Imagine that first you’re forced to parade naked to your cell while hundreds of convicts leer at you, and then you’re stalked by the untouchable brother of the prison kingpin, and the guards actually herd you into an area to be raped by the aforementioned brother. And then imagine that after all of this you wake up in your cell later on only to find said rapist on top of you about to do it again. You then snap and and kill him and as a result become a near-catatonic suicidal mess.