Nightmare Alley is a 1947 Film Noir directed by Edmund Goulding, based on the novel of the same name by William Lyndsey Gresham.Stanton Carlisle (Tyrone Power) joins a seedy carnival as the assistant to Mademoiselle Zeena (Joan Blondell). Her alcoholic husband and her had a great, convincing system at "telling fortunes", until some misfortune caused them to come to the seedy carnival and work. Zeena hasn't told anyone their ingenious code. Stanton wants to know it and tries to seduce her, but she stays faithful to her husband. Stanton eventually gets his way and learns the code. He gets greedy and after living the great life for awhile it all comes crashing down on him.
Tropes used by the film:
- Accidental Murder: Stanton hands Pete a bottle of wood alcohol, having mistaken it for the bottle of moonshine he acquired earlier. Pete proceeds to drink himself to death.
- The Alcoholic: Pete, and then Stanton later on.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: A discussed inverted example. Stanton points to Zeena that her believe that Tarot is genuine seems weird considering that she is in the bushiness of selling illusions and hokey tales for cash.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Stanton, when dealing with cops and customers.
- Bittersweet Ending: Stanton's life ends up in shambles after he gets outplayed by Lilith, and he ends up becoming an alcoholic shell of his former self, to the point of becoming the geek of a new carnival (essentially the lowest tier performer out there). However, at the end, Molly finds him and gains some recognition from him, with the implication that they'll at least end up together and stick together out of love. Then again, given how this is destined to mirror Zeena and Pete's relationship from the beginning of the film, it could very well edge toward a Downer Ending.
- Break the Cutie: A bit of this with Molly
- Con Man
- Crappy Carnival
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Stanton, when dealing with fellow carnies and Molly.
- Laser-Guided Karma
- Out-Gambitted: Stanton finds out that Lilith has tricked him by swapping his money for 1-dollar bills, but when he confronts her about it and tries blackmailing her with the fact that she was an accomplice to his con, she tells him that not only is her knowledge of his involvement in Pete's death much worse than anything he has on her, she will also testify that he is mentally disturbed if he should try anything, making it crystal clear to him that would it be a bad idea for him to go the police.
- Phony Psychic
- Psycho Psychologist: Lilith Ritter is an amoral psychologist who uses confidential information on her clients to con them out of money, and does not hesitate to ruin her ally Stanton.
- Rape as Backstory: At least in the source novel, which reveals that Lilith was gang-raped as a teenager, suggesting that this is a major factor in her coldness and detachment.
- Took a Level in Kindness: After the rug is pulled out from under him, Stanton comes off as humbled from his experiences. At the very least, he acts a lot more caring toward Molly.
- Shotgun Wedding
- Woman Scorned