Johnny Gaddaar (Hindi: जॉनी गद्दार), (translates to Johnny the Traitor) is a 2007 Indian neo-noir thriller film written and directed by Sriram Raghavan.In need of the following Wiki Magic Love:
This film provides examples of:
- A Father to His Men: Seshadri, the veteran smuggler and head of the gang, to the point that even Shardul, the Token Evil Teammate vows to avenge his death.
- Born Lucky: Vikram, the "gaddaar". He makes multiple mistakes which reveal his actions to the members of his gang, but gets the drop on them each time through sheer luck. This is until the very end, when the Winds of Destiny, Change.
- Heads or Tails: Subverted. Vikram tosses a coin, deciding he will proceed with his plan if it comes up heads. It comes up tails on three tosses. He proceeds anyway. In light of what happens, serves as either Screw Destiny or as Tempting Fate.
- Line-of-Sight Name: When Vikram has to register at a hotel, he enters his name as Johnny, seeing "Johnny Mera Naam" playing on the counter television. When the clerk asks for a last name, he says "Ji?" (I beg your pardon), which the clerk mistakes for "G" and enters as an initial. Counts as a sort of Title Drop.
- MacGuffin: We never find out what contraband the gang was pooling money to buy, only that their code for it is "French furniture". The plot is driven by the theft of the pooled money.
- Shout-Out: Several:
- The film is an acknowledged homage to the films of Chetan Anand and the novels of James Hadley Chase. Vikram is seen reading Chase and comes up with the name Johnny G while watching Johnny Mera Naam, directed by Chetan Anand.
- Multiple characters are seen watching Parwaana, which gives Vikram his idea. The similarity of his actions to those of the villain in Parwaana is even lampshaded by another character
- The red credits amidst black and white footage are a shout out to Sin City
- Winds of Destiny, Change: Vikram is mistaken for someone else and shot. Ironically, the shooter mistakes him for whom she (erroneously) assumed was the culprit, when it was Vikram all along.