Film / Flirting with Disaster
Flirting with Disaster
is a 1996 comedy directed by David O. Russell
and starring Ben Stiller
, Patricia Arquette, and Téa Leoni
. It is the story of one man's quest to find his biological parents in hopes that this will cure his neuroses and help him decide on a name for his newborn son. Naturally, Hilarity Ensues
This film contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Mel's adoptive parents, psychologically.
- Bourgeois Bohemian: Mel's biological parents, played by Alan Alda and Lily Tomlin.
- Gene Hunting: The basic premise of the movie - Mel goes searching for his biological parents.
- Intoxication Ensues: After Mel finally meets his LSD-manufacturing biological parents, his newly-acquainted resentful brother doses his dinner with the stuff, but it gets eaten by a Federal agent who is along for the trip (as it were).
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Mel's biological parents turn out to be old hippies who passionately argue that taking LSD shouldn't be a felony (as well they would, as they're manufacturing it.)
- Parental Abandonment: Mel is tormented by the fear that there was some very good reason why his biological parents gave him up for adoption.
- Priceless Ming Vase: Valerie Swaney has a priceless collection of glass animals. Naturally, Mel accidentally destroys it.
- The Unpronounceable: The name "Schlichting". Everyone outside of that family seems to have difficulty pronouncing it.