Film: Fireworks Wednesday
A 2006 Iranian film directed by Asghar Farhadi.A young bride-to-be, Rouhi, takes a temporary job as a maid on Fireworks Wednesday, a Persian fesival celebrating the New Year. The couple she is working for, Morteza and Mojdeh, are having serious trouble with their marriage as Mojdeh accuses Morteza of cheating on her with their neighbour, Simin, who has opened a beauty parlour nearby.
This film contains examples of:
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Simin.
- Bittersweet Ending: Rouhi and her fiance are happy, but Mojdeh and Morteza seem to have a Downer Ending (although it really isn't clear where they will go from there.)
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Mojdeh listens at walls and spies on her husband at work, hoping to catch him in flagrante delicto. She never catches him, but she is Properly Paranoid.
- Domestic Abuse: Morteza hits Mojdeh publicly when she spies on him at work. He gets called out on this repeatedly.
- Properly Paranoid: Mojdeh.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Although most of the things that make Mojdeh suspicious have an innocent explanation (the buzzer actually is broken, Morteza really is going to work), she is still correct.
- Twist Ending: Despite the fact that the film goes out of it's way to make it seem that Mojdeh is crazy (and she arguably is), she turns out to be right.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Morteza's boss gives him a serious talking-to after he hits his wife.
- Your Cheating Heart: Mojdeh accuses Morteza of this. She's right.