is a 2009 drama film directed by Kirk Jones. Against his physician's advice, Frank Goode (Robert De Niro
) travels to New York, Chicago, Denver, and Las Vegas to visit each of his four grown children, David (Austin Lysy), Amy (Kate Beckinsale
), Robert (Sam Rockwell
), and Rosie (Drew Barrymore
). In each case, his visit appears to be untimely, and he is quickly shunted from one sibling to another, all of whom seem to be hiding things from him.
This film provides examples of:
- A Storm Is Coming: It even has a name - Alice. When the plane passes the storm, Frank collapses and gets the truth revealed.
- Blatant Lies: The movie is full with these.
- Cool Big Sis: Amy to her siblings, with shades of being the Team Mom.
- Family Disunion: The children make up excuses to avoid the family gathering.
- Gilligan Cut: The physician tries to talk Frank out of the idea of traveling the country and wants him to spend more time in the garden. Cut to Frank packing his suitcase.
- When Frank leaves to visit Robert, he makes Amy promise not to tell him he's coming. The next scene, we hear Amy on the telephone with Robert, talking about what they're going to do about Frank's visit.
- Irony: DeNiro's character worked with telephone wires, but he had communication problems with his family.
- Also, while he couldn't get truthful news from his own kids, he would get more than he wanted from pure strangers on buses and trains.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The trailers and ads make this out to be some kind of quirky, funny little indie film. Something the whole family can enjoy while in reality it was a sad drama.
- Photo Montage: Photos Frank took during his travels are shown during the end credits.
- Title Drop: The last line of the film.