"Who would have thought that a movie that admittedly is about a killer bed is actually some kind of exploitation art film?"In 1972, some guy named George Barry got a camera and some film.What happened was Death Bed: The Bed That Eats.An incredibly cheesy and bizarre mix of horror, sexploitation, and arthouse, Death Bed was shot in 1972 but a print wasn't struck until 1977. It then disappeared, before being rediscovered in 2003 and released on DVD. It gained a cult following when bootlegs made from a rare UK VHS/Betamax copy of the film began circulating. Director George Barry reportedly forgot about the film before he came across said bootleg found on a horror movie forum.
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats contains examples of:
- Attack of the Killer Whatever: Probably one of the most insane examples ever.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: There are plenty of scenes of the bed's digestive system, just for starters.
- Dull Surprise: Taken Up to Eleven. Its probably the worst offender among the films on this wiki, since pretty much the whole cast acts like this all the time. Say, one of the guys loses the skin on his hands, and the remaining bones begin falling apart, but he doesn't seem to mind at all. The most jarring scenes are even put on Youtube.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex: Well, it is about a bed... too bad most of them get eaten by the time they're done.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Three guesses to what the antagonist does.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Again, when the guy loses his hands.
- Our Demons Are Different: They sleep only every ten years, their eyes are always full of blood, and their tears can bestow sentience on inanimate objects.
- Our Monsters Are Weird: Doesn't quite cover it...
- Spiritual Sequel: Patton Oswalt's upcoming masterpiece Rape Stove.
- Spooky Painting: Some guy (implied to be the famous Art Nouveau painter Aubrey Beardsley) is holed up behind a painting. We get to hear his discussions with the bed. The bed doesn't talk back.
- Surreal Horror: Sort of. To be fair, it is about a demon-possessed bed eating people.
- Stealth Parody: Some have suggested this, due to the absurd plot of the movie.
- Tears of Blood: How baby Death Beds are born.