Alphaville: A Strange Adventure of Lemmy Caution is a 1965 French film by Jean-Luc Godard. A Genre-Busting work that mixes dystopian Science Fiction and Film Noir, the film is considered one of the Ur-Examples of Cyberpunk.The story follows secret agent Lemmy Caution as he investigate the city of Alphaville, a dystopian society under the control of the Alpha 60 computer where emotions are forbidden.
This films contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Alpha 60.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: Caution is captured and interrogated, but despite clearly hiding something, Alpha 60 allows him to go free...because it doesn't know what Caution is hiding. Scratch that, Bond villains are much smarter than this thing.
- Bread and Circuses: Despite illogical behavior and emotions being forbidden, prostitutes are abundant in Alphaville.
- Cool Starship: Completely averted. Caution's "spaceship" looks suspiciously like an unremarkable car, and hyperspace resembles a road.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Those who refuse to assimilate or kill themselves are placed on a diving board, shot in the back with a machine gun so they fall into the water, then a group of synchronized swimmers with knives dive in to finish them off.
- Death by Sex: Another secret agent sent before Caution dies in an odd G-Rated Sex version of this.
- Galactic Conqueror: Alpha 60 plans to extend its reach to other galaxies.
- Genre Shift: The previous Lemmy Caution films were fairly straightforward Film Noir episodes. This movie marked a sudden shift to Science Fiction.
- Hardboiled Detective: Caution is technically a secret agent, but he pulls off this look.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Natacha Von Braun.
- May–December Romance: Natacha is half Caution's age, but winds up falling for him.
- Straw Vulcan: An entire city populated with them.
- Transplanted Character Fic: Lemmy Caution was originally a detective in a series of B-movies.