- Be Careful What You Wish For
- Border Patrol: The "pink fog" that cuts off the state's communications from the rest of the world, and of course the real life one.
- Children Are Innocent: The child of the anti-immigrant activist.
- Deus ex Machina: Type 3. Its established that mass disappearance is possible. whether or not the leaking faucet was responsible was up to question since the disappearance ended with it being fixed by a handyman.
- Human-Interest Story: the sort of reporting one of our leads was forced to do until she became the apparent Last of Her Kind.
- Last of Her Kind: people believe there to be exactly one Mexican in California for most of this film. Turned out that she was an Armenian adopted by a Latino parents.
- Latino Is Brown: Subverted since many people who disappeared also include Latinos—especially an Argentine named Monica—who look like Caucasians.
- National Stereotypes: Parodied and subverted.
- Played for Laughs
- South of the Border: Lampshaded.
- Space Whale Aesop: Respect Hispanic immigrants—all of them—or you will find that they are all gone and your state is cut off from everything.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: several groups. For instance, what's the Border Patrol to do when the border is gone?