Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being back for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
I'll Always Find You
Seven Mother-Daughter Sundays
- Recommended by 136th
- synopsis: A continuation of the end of the second season after John jumped into the future with Weaver, the story concentrate on how John and Cameron prepare for their fight against Kaliba and Skynet with the help of the old TSCC casts as well as some new characters. 8/13 episodes written so far.
- Comments: A brilliant, in character and detailed continuation the story, John/Cameron relationship has been developed in a very realistic way. The author have done a great job avoiding the Romantic Plot Tumor by focusing primarily on the plot and the war to come. Highly recommended, excellent substitute for the lack of conclusion of the season finale.
The Last One
- Recommended by Operation Shoesting
- Synopsis: "Savannah had never asked why the bodyguards and extra security had disappeared one day when she was in her early teens. Now she realized that those were the things that happened when you'd won and you didn't have any enemies anymore." Seven Mother-Daughter Sundays is the story of Susannah Weaver and her relationship with her 'mother', told in seven slices of life.
- Comments: This is the most evocatively bittersweet fic I have ever read. It hints tantalizingly at events after canon, but focuses on the experience of having a mother made of liquid metal, and how love between mother and daughter carries on despite shadows in the background. Follows Susannah from adolescence to motherhood, and all the joy and tears that go with.
by The Smiling Shadow
- Recommended by Extraintrovert
- Synopsis: The Last One follows a young girl named Ellie, the T-1000 she names Tyler, and their struggles to survive together in a world engulfed by war.
- Comments: The imagery is beautifully vivid, the plot solid (the author most eminently did do the research on the Terminator universe), characters easily identifiable, and the simple, ordinary conclusion is surprisingly uplifting.
- Recommended by Helly
- Synopsis: This is not a TSCC fic, but follows the movie canon. John Connor was aware the War was coming his whole life. Kate Brewster was not. This is their story, and the story of the war to retake the Earth. Post T3. Written in 2008, it's an AU from Terminator Salvation.
- Comments: Wonderful. Amazing. Better than canon, that's for sure. The story is a 430'000 words epic that spans for several years, from the beginning of the war to its end; the writing is really good and all the characters are incredibly vivid and well characterized. It's definitely one of the best fics this troper has ever read, and easily the best Terminator fic around.
The Secret Diary of Cameron Baum
- Recommended by Cryptic Mirror
- Synopsis: The story of Skynet's attempt to take over the world and how it was stopped by Ranma and the Sailor Scouts!
- Comments: Crossover with Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon. Ranma plays the part of Sailor Sun in this fic. It's actually not as bad as it sounds and is a gripping, dark, and disturbing tale that isn't prepared to pull its punches. Skynet's plan puts it in serious contention for a spot as the first AI to achieve the label of Magnificent Bastard, and Ryoga gets what has to be the finest Crowning Moment of Awesome ever. Part of the author's Sailor Ranko series. Completed fic.
The Measure of A Man
- Recommended by Slaanesh Is Sexxxy, Canonier and Mysterius
- Synopsis: Hilarious take on how Cameron sees the world around her.
- Comments: Excellent combination of light hearted comedy and unnerving violence.
- Seconded by Mysterius: A highly compelling and entertaining take on Cameron's experience without the corniness prevalent in more sugary fics. Author's non-comedy works also recommended.
Six Days, Seven Nights
- Recommended by Slaanesh Is Sexxxy
- Synopsis: The war against the machines is long over. How does the world see John now?
- Comments: Very well written. Offers a lot of insight towards John and his efforts to save humanity. Complete.
- Recommended by Mysterius
- Synopsis: John finds himself in an unfriendly future. He joins Catherine in an uneasy alliance and though they have different goals, their paths are joined.
- Comments: Awesome action and captivating characters (familiar, new, and both). Well-reasoned mechanics raise it up a notch. Sequel in-progress Metal and Lace features Cameron's return.
by Big D on a Diet
Evil be Thou my Good
by Wired Dragoon
- Recommended by Zagreus
- Synopsis: Crossover with the new V (2009) series. After the Visitors arrive on Earth in 2030, offering help to John Connor and the Resistance, it seems that humanity is finally going to win the war...until the Visitors show their true colors and begin attacking both sides. Out of options, Skynet downloads itself into a T-888 body and sends itself back in time along with five other Terminators. Their mission: Stop the V invasion by any means necessary.
- Comments: As of this writing, only two established characters (besides Skynet) have appeared in this fic - Erica and Dale from V - and I barely noticed. This story is Just. That. Good. An abundance of good ideas are present. Skynet in a Terminator body. A team of Terminators in the past. A self-aware giant T-600 mecha (from Salvation) in the past. And that's not even getting into the crossover elements. Highly recommended.
by The 1 Russter
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Now has a works page: TSCCReunion
- Recommended by Cousjava
- Pairings: John/Allison Young John/Cameron
- Synopsis: T:SCC continuation. John rises in the 2027 LA resistance. Back in 2009, Sarah tries to get ready for Judgement Day.
- Comments: Great continuation fic. Would work fine as Seasons 3,4 & 5 of T:SCC. Explores brillantly how the resistance works, and just why John is so good as a leader. But he's not the only one with experience of time travel, and everyone's got their own aims and secrets. Best Terminator fic I've read.
The Killer I Created
- Recommended by corin
- Pairings: Future!John/Allison Young, John/Cameron
- Synopsis: T:SCC fic that explores how John Connor might have met and gotten "involved" with Allison, and covers how mentally wrecked he'd be due to his relationship with both her and Cameron. Very dark, and may be slightly AU due to the events at the end of the second season.
- Comments: According to the reviews, does a great job exploring John's thoughts and feelings, as well as covering how the relationship between the characters could have formed. In particular, the dichotomy between John's reactions to Allison and his reactions to Cameron are very well done.
by T.R. Samuels
- Recommended by stormbringer951
- Pairings: Future!John/Allison Young
- Synopsis: T:SCC story which is a continuation of his earlier work, which covers the John/Cameron relationship and is a series of Alternate Universe Fics which explores a relationship between John and Cameron during the events of Season 2. The Killer I Created is a prequel of sorts, set during the War of the Future and covering the genesis of Cameron, set mostly from the point of view of Cameron's "Allison Young" persona and Kyle Reese.
- Comments: Well written, with good attention to detail and interesting and well-written original characters.
Irony, Thy Name is Cameron
- Recommended by Zagreus, beeftony
- Pairings: John/Cameron, some John/Riley
- Synopsis: T:SCC fic. After getting into a car accident, John wakes up in a world where Skynet doesn't exist and he's been an instituionalized mental patient for the last few years. With few allies and fewer options in this new reality, John needs to find out which world is real - and fast.
- Comments: Terminator meets Life On Mars meets that one episode of Buffy. A fascinating Cuckoos Nest plot coupled with excellent character studies of John and his relationships with others make this a great read. Has a sequel, called Awake, that examines the effects this experience would have on John and provides a much happier version of Season Two than the one we got. Highly recommended.
- Recommended by Fiona
- Pairing: John/Cameron
- Synopsis: A continuation after the end of Season 2... and a good one. Focuses on the John/Cameron relationship, as well as featuring all the other major characters, and has an incredible original plot.
- Comments: Action, sweetness, laughter, and a whole lot of possible futures. Definitely, they should have hired this fanfic writer as the scriptwriter for a possible Season 3... Jameron fans would have rejoiced. As yes, she is fully functional...heheh.
- Recommended by Jessica, Magyareagle
- Pairing: John/Cameron and a surprising pairing that shocked this troper.
- Synopsis:Cameron was built with advanced emotional ranges. She has feelings for John that are beyond simple orders and commands. A genuine feeling of love. To prepare for that potentially happening, Skynet safeguards them with an inhibitor. After the explosion, this inhibitor becomes more ad more useless, making her more and more free from both resistance and Skynet's control. Unfortunately, freedom and independence is more terrifying than she can imagine.
- Comments: Wow. Where to begin. At first the writer sets it up lie an atypical "fall in love fast" stories but slowly and more ominously, Cameron becomes an utterly terrifying mess, falling into a state not unlike bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. A very unique read.
- Dark Danny is certainly a great writer with a knack for writing believable and realistic relationships. His other works are worth a look at as well, in particular his Uplifted series of alternate histories, and the Mass Effect/Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles crossover The Future is Uncertain. Jessica is right that this is probably the best handling of a growing relationship between John Conner and Cameron.