Fanfic Recs: Death Note Authors And Websites
These are recommendations made by Tropers for authors and sites of Death Note
fanfic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own finding to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. You can do it by expanding on the notes about the author or website, or linking similar or related authors or websites. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Anything by Wall of Illusion
Anything by Mikanis
- Recommended by aimsme
- Eloquent, beautiful and intellectual. The first fic of hers I ever read was the magnificent Of Music, and she's never since let me down.
Anything by Silver Pard
- Recommended by chibiaries, KrisMahai, spica, and Ellamew
- Her Death Note fics flow like poetry; I especially encourage reading "12 Moves Sideways" the best Harry Potter/Death Note crossover I have ever read, and "Redivivus" is very amusing, suspenseful, and full of dark humor. The side stories for Redivius, "The Slow Path of Rehabilitation" has a nine-year old Reincarnated!Light set loose on Japan, and L is...just L. I especially loved the chapter where Light owes Ryuk a dare.
Anything by Keem
- Recommended by Clandestine Clear, seconded by Hijikimeosae
- Her writing is just excellent, with a flawless style that matches the atmosphere of Death Note perfectly. I am convinced that she could write something about Light turning into a unicorn and still make it work wonderfully well.
Anything by Robin Rocks
- Recommended by Tazzatron, Ellamew
- Her most famous fanfiction, Poison Apple, is possibly the best written story in the entire fandom. Words cannot describe how amazing it is.
Anything by Serria
- Recommended by feral
- Amazing. She has some of the best fics, especially Light exploration, on the site.
Anything by Bialy
- Recommended by Bookhobbit
- She has a lot of wonderful Matsuda fics, probably some of the best I've ever seen. There's some extremely good Mello-centric fics, a couple focusing on Matt, Near, or L, and a lot of really good stuff for the SPK. She also has some Mello/Sayu and Mello/Halle, along with a couple L/Light, although the recommender has read none of these.
Anything by Translucent Darkness
Anything by Rinna-kun
- Recommended by Socially Disoriented
- She doesn't post on ff.net anymore, but hot damn. This troper is completely in love with that beautiful, understated writing style of hers. Major warnings though, for those of you who don't like slash, as most (but not all) of her fics are Mello/Near-centric. It's tasteful, though. Promise.
Anything by Bloodshot Eyes
- Recommended by Aramisa.
- This writer knows the material she's working with and writes some of the darkest Death Note fics you'll find out there, wich is fine since this is, again, Death Note.
Anything by Sashocirrione
- Recommended by Ruin Takada, feral
- This author is skilled, articulate, and ever so, ever so deranged. If she isn't writing about your usual Death Note pairings, she's writing about the weirdest, crackiest crack pairings you probably never thought of (e.g. Lx Rem). Her humour is hilarious, and her angst is hair-tearingly good. Aside from that, she has a soft spot for weird pairings, fluffy endings, graphic sex-scenes and the reviews she receives often go along the lines of "You warned me it was gross, but I just didn't listen, and wow was it ever gross."
Anything by Disguise of Carnivorism
and by extension The Carnivorous Muffin
. Scourge of Nemo
has given up posting on their own page, so don't bother with it.
- Recommended by feral
- Seconded by Rook Encounte
- A very talented author who writes truly beautiful prose that you would expect to find in high-end literature rather than on FanFiction.net. This author focuses on Light-exploration and Dark Fic and never forgets that that Light is very nuts.
- To paraphrase: AAAAH! You will scream and sigh when you finish one of their pieces, since you are amazed by the story and happy to have read it all, but despairing that there is not more.
The Redeemer Series by CocoaCoveredGods
Death Note Kink 2
- Recommended by aimsme, Pepper-Jak
- Pairings: L/Light and Mello/Light, with Mello/Matt on the side and L/BB, Light/BB, OC/OC, L/Linda, L/BB/Light
- Alright, so the spelling and grammar is less than perfect, the Trauma Conga Line starts to get somewhat gratuitous around the second fic, and the amount of sex is gratuitous almost from the get-go, but as far as plotting is concerned this is a seriously amazing set of fics. It's also got gloriously messed-up character dynamics and fast pacing, not to mention the feat of epicness that is writing 5+ novel length fics. If you have the time, it's well worth a read.
- Words cannot possibly describe how much This Troper loves this story. These are the absolute best Death Note fics I have ever read. The characters are so much deeper and better developed than in canon, and although many of them may seem OOC at first glance, it works really well (and all the characters come out being incredibly awesome). Light is still manipulative, but is covering how vulnerable he is after his defeat. L is portrayed as a strong, but damaged and eccentric Bad Ass (much more emphasis is put on the Bad Ass than in canon). The twists and turns of the plot are amazing and incredibly well planned, and the authors have done a lot of research on various subjects. The characters evolve in realistic ways. While some parts tend to get draggy, especially in the first story, tension is maintained almost constantly, with complex mind games and life or death situations constantly in action. The second story brings in horror and mystery with the appearance of Beyond Birthday and his twisted relationship with L. The interactions between the characters are beautiful and sometimes heartbreaking. The authors flesh out the setting, especially the workings of Wammy House, and their original characters are actually likable and 3 dimensional. Also, Near is not a nice person in these stories, so Near lovers beware.
- Now has a spin off story for one of the O Cs that is almost as amazing as the main stories, and will be integral for any future developments in the series proper.
- Story now on 'indefinite hiatus' while the authors work on original writing; all stories from the third instalment onwards have been sadly deleted.
- Recommended by feral
- The Death Note Kink Meme
Anything by oursolemnhour49
- Recommended by whiteladydragon 00
- A fan fiction writer relatively new to the Death Note fandom, her roster is an impressive mix of unassuming but witty humor and satire, and deep, thoughtful exploration of the characters and themes that may have been skimped on in the canon series. One of her oneshots, Breaking The Fourth Wall, for instance, is a collection of letters written by most of the DN cast addressing the fandom at large…specifically what they think about how they’re handled in fan fiction. On the more serious side, you have A Shinigami’s Justice, which concerns a conversation between L and Rem on the subject of justice just before she kills him and herself, and A Beautiful Way To Kill, which is about an exchange between Rem and Misa that expounds on Misa’s belief that to die or kill out of love is a beautiful way to go. But these are just three of her fanfics; the rest of them will not disappoint, either.
Anything by Sakuchi-san 
- Recomended by Kye Above
- Her fanfictions are crack fics, but they all have amusing plots and are multichaptered. Her Death Note fanfics are all set in their own AU universe where Kira seems to have disappeared and L, Light and Matsuda work together on...something that remains a mystery, and Mello, Matt and Near are all terrors that none of the three want to deal with, but are forced to be around due to various reasons.