An Alternate Universe
branching off of Andrew Hussie's Homestuck
. As the title suggests, it uses Hussie's characters and mythos to create a police vs. criminals setting. Hilarity Ensues
There is little consistency in canon
, with the same troll having portrayed as a beggar
, a biologist
, and a petty criminal
in separate works. Usually, the stories take place in Alternia City, a metropolis with sizable Troll, Human, Consort, and Carapace populations. Usually, the Homestuck canon's Woobie
is a criminal mastermind
with a copy of the Evil Overlord List
, Vriska is a Dirty Cop
, and Rose is in charge of her very own SCP Foundation
pastiche. There are, however, two very different and distinct "mainstream" canons: the RP canon on deviantART
and the general fanfic canon on the forums.
This AU also generates a slew of Fan Art
, much of which is indexed on the thread's first page.
Can be found here
, with a newer thread here
, where it has inspired a currently running radio show that is planned to last for several years, using stories collected from both the old and new threads. The deviantART RP is here
. A Tumblr for the deviantArt RP is available here
Troll Cops provides examples of:
- Ancient Artifact: The city is chock-full of Skaian artifacts, many of which are suddenly in working condition after the Green Sun incident.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Gamzee, when he's sober. He was able to take down five of the Felt by himself.
- British Coppers: The Troll Cops: UK canon.
- Cowboy Cop: Terezi.
- Da Chief: Typically AR, although in a few canons this role is filled by Equius.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Just about everyone's, depending on the canon you use.
- Disability Superpower: Terezi, as in the canon (she's blind but can smell and taste light)
- Subverted with Mr. Pupa, who simply has bionic legs for whenever he feels like walking.
- Divergent Character Evolution: Don Strider quickly begins developing a different personality from Dave. Don is much more open with his emotions, thinking that he can die at any time due to being a paradox clone.
- Demonic Dummy: Cal, as in Homestuck. But it turns out he was a hallucination.
- Five-Man Band: The cops are this, although the order shuffles over time.
- Right after Sollux and Aradia join the force, we have:
- After Aradia's death and resurrection as Aradiabot
- Over time, Aradia and Vriska switch roles as Vriska undergoes Chickification after John helps her overcome Pupa's influence.
- Foil: Terezi and Mr. Pupa (both handicapped, neither handicapped by their handicaps, both chessmasters).
- Also Egbertman and Crowbro. One, a happy-go-lucky, Lighter and Softer hero who refuses to kill and flies around helping people during the daytime. The other, a hardened vigilante who operates at night and will not hesitate to murder criminals in cold blood.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Sollux, being bipolar, manages to play both.
- Helpful Hallucination: Gamzee in Sopor Somnolence.
- Noodle Incident: That one time that Maggie babysat for Portia.
- One for Sorrow, Two for Joy: Maggie's vigilante identity is the Magpie.
- Original Character: Several. Prominent ones include the Magpie, Mama Captor, John's mother, and Portia Nitram. Some stories focus pretty much exclusively on groups of Original Characters.
- The Plan: Pretty much everything Mr. Pupa does.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Karkitty gang consists of three orphaned trolls. One has anger issues and a powerful Big Brother Instinct, one is obsessed with cats, and one is a perpetually stoned clown who was born into one of the richest families in Alternia City before they were all murdered before his eyes by a rainbow drinker. It doesn't really get much more ragtag than that.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Mayor WV, ditziness notwithstanding. AR, too, whenever he's the commissioner. Additionally, Terezi and Equius are often portrayed as outranking the other cops, and they may also fill this role... Depending on the Writer, of course.
- Retcon: Many things, after being introduced in Homestuck, make their way into Troll Cops retroactively. Notable examples are Kanpire, Mr. Pupa raising an alive version of Aradia, and Eridan's wand.
- Sadistic Choice: In Blind Girl Bluff, Pupa forces Karkat to choose between kidnapping (and, if necessary, killing) his childhood friend Terezi or losing his gang. It's Mr. Pupa, so taking a third option will probably not be helpful.
- Shame If Something Happened: Pupa employs this on Magpie in Silken Net.
- Shapeshifting: Nepeta can turn into a car.
- Street Urchin: In at least two canons, Karkat, Gamzee and Nepeta were three orphans who turned to crime in order to feed themselves.
- Unholy Matrimony: Pupa and Vriska, the latter unwillingly. When Aradia wakes up from her Convenient Coma, she takes her place by Pupa's side...willingly, this time.
- Vigilante Man: Bro. It doesn't go so well for him.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Hussie, oh so much. As Alternia City's resident crazy vagrant, he objects to the entire AU's existence and believes everything was meant to play out as it does in Homestuck. This frequently lands him in jail or the asylum, for his own safety.