Fan Fic / Mind Tricks
is a WWE
fan fic trilogy series being written by Belicia Zarita
The first story, Amiss
, begins with Rey Mysterio awakening in a dark basement, apparently having been kidnapped by Kane. However, shortly thereafter, he comes to in a mental hospital, and is told by doctors and close friend Batista that it is March of 2007, and every memory he has after February of 2006 never happened, and that he suffered a massive breakdown following his loss to Randy Orton at No Way Out. However, he continues to wake up alternating between both worlds, and cannot quite come to grips with where and when he really is...either insane, or, as Kane begins to threaten him more and more, dead and in Hell. The story is on FF.net here
The second story, currently in works, is titled Out Of Hell.
All of Rey's problems were due to a government experiment he had been kidnapped into to test human memory, brainwashing, and the effects of a mysterious drug
, and Batista who was brought in originally as part of the experiment but was recruited by double agents to assist other government agencies in bringing down the conspiracy
, as well as several of his fellow wrestlers have come to rescue him
. It can be found here
The as-yet unwritten third story is tenatively titled It's A Shame About Rey
, following the aftermath of the previous two stories and the effects all the events have had on everyone involved.
A fourth, "side-quel" story, First Date Night
has been written which the author notes is canon, set before Mind Tricks and detailing Jeff and Morrison's first date, however, it has no real bearing on the plot of the trilogy aside from maybe some continuity gags. It's here.
You can also view the character sheet
The following tropes contain SPOILERS
, so proceed with caution.
- Action Girl: Beth, and to a certain degree, Marcia.
- Attending Your Own Funeral: Kind of. Kane shows Rey a video of his funeral.
- Chainsaw Good: Jeff shows up wielding one, but loses it fairly quickly.
- Chekhov's Gun: Spongebob Squarepants, of all things.
- Cool Old Lady: Marcia, right up until she gets killed.
- CPR Clean Pretty Reliable: Averted, as all the bone-crunching action and vomiting fun is included, along with the fact that it doesn't even work.
- Cuckoo Nest: The entire first story.
- Downer Ending: The end of Amiss, especially seeing as how Out Of Hell didn't appear for almost a month.
- Government Conspiracy: A pretty massive one, to be able to explain everything that's gone down.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners & Ho Yay: Jeff and Morrison claim to be the first, although the hints are strong that it's the second.
- It's canon Ho Yay now, with the addition of the First Date Night side story.
- Noodle Incident: Josh doesn't vote because he's a convicted felon. Beautifully subtle Lamp Shading with Eddie eating a bowl of noodles when he brings it up.
- Sealed Room in the Middle of Nowhere: The basement.
- Shout-Out: Marcia and Keith Darden are named after the OJ Simpson prosecutors, Marcia Clark and Chris Darden.
- There's actually quite a few. The villains use prisoners in their work and refer to them as Class D Personnel.
- As mentioned above, viewings of Spongebob Squarepants, notably the episode "Karate Choppers," actually has a small role in part of the plot.
- Word of God: The author keeps a journal in her profile where she sometimes discusses plot points or offers clarifications on small details in the story.
- You Have to Believe Me: Daniel, during Rey's therapy session. Slightly subverted in that eventually, Rey does believe him, and in that he was wrong to.