Fanfic / Mare Genius
Mare Genius by
Samarkand is a Girl Genius/My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
During the events of Canterlot Wedding, Discord's prison is temporarly weakened. Never one to waste such a chance, he reaches across dimensions to find an agent of chaos he could unleash upon Equestria. His spell finds Agatha Heterodyne, a heroic Mad Scientist
and copies her mind into a new pony body. Unaware that she is not the real thing and blaming her predicament on her criminally insane mother, Agatha starts discovering Equestria, trying to make sense of this new world.
Compare and contrast the author's other work, Sparkgate: Agatha and the Grasp of the Serpent God
This fanfic contains examples of the following:
- Aliens Speaking English: Played with. Equestrian is functionally identical to English but Agatha's first language is actually German. She does speak English but it takes her several scenes to get fully used to it.
- Anti-Air: Rainbow Dash resolves to follow Agatha around when she learns Agatha and Gilda are friends. Agatha resolves to build a flak cannon ASAP.
- Bawdy Song / Drunken Song: Includes a particularly naughty verse that has something to do with platypi. Even Fluttershy joins in (to her lasting chagrin when she sobers up). Believed to be Discworld's The Hedgehog Song.
- Brought Down to Badass: Agatha's normal methods of solving problems are initially hampered by her pony form lacking hands. However, her Skifander fighting skills turn out to still be applicable.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Fluttershy gets drunk from just sniffing the drink Applejack brought. Actually justified, as the drink is not only a Gargle Blaster but partially magical.
- Carnivore Confusion: Gilda is clearly a carnivore. Agatha impresses her immensely by eating most of a rabbit raw on a dare. Her herbivore stomach doesn't take it well. No comments are made on it later, when Agatha meets Angel (a mute but clearly sentient rabbit).
- Comically Missing the Point: When Celestia tries talking to Twilight about mating, it flies right over the purple unicorn's head.
- Fish out of Water: Agatha is shocked that no pony wears clothes regularly. She's also mildly concerned that the train has no armaments.
- For Want of a Nail: Annoyed by Gilda's antics, Agatha tells her how a minor mean act (Moloch's brother stealing her locket) indirectly led to her foster parents getting torn to shreds before her eyes.
- Gargle Blaster: "Zap Apple Horse Liniment" is fermented Zap Apple Jam that's run through a pot still the Apple Family keeps in a hollow on the edge of their property. Said still is only lit up when the wind is blowing away from the farmstead and any pony habitation. It is usually used to rub down Granny Smith's arthritic joints. It is also a dandy engine degreaser, fire accelerant, and sterilization agent during field surgery. Drinking the stuff usually results in a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea in Equestrian court, because you would have to be out of your mind to consume it in the first place.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Fluttershy gets one when she remembers what she did at the wedding. Agatha keeps getting them whenever she encounters something that her mind cannot currently process.
- Hilarious in Hindsight The fanfic made a gag of Agatha's battle with her cowlick hair, some half a year before Girl Genius did the same.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Agatha spends several hours figuring out how to walk on four legs. She writes a quadrupedal locomotion program in her head.
- Hypercompetent Minion: Spike is not only a walking index of the whole library but also accustomed to handling both Twilight's and Rarity's quirks. He also speaks Germane.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Inverted. The fact of everypony being naked initially goes over Agatha's head and she freaks out when it finally dawns on her - but nopony but her cares. (Except for Rarity, who despite a massive hangover, senses fashion-related distress from several houses away.)
- Naked People Are Funny: Agatha freaks out when she notices nobody in Ponyville wears clothing.
- Limb-Sensation Fascination: Like most newly-ponified fic characters, Agatha finds having a tail a bit weird.
- Noodle Implements: Twilight dissects the story Agatha had heard while working as a fortune-teller (Involving a tea cozy and a spoon). She not only deduces that the author of the story must have been a biped, but adjusts the Noodle Implements involved to make it work for ponies (A pony would also require a full tea set, four more spoons, a strainer ball, and an oven mitt).
- Not So Different: Rarity's "creativity mode" turns out to be eerily similar to sparks' "madness place". Once they meet halfway with their ideas, they become instant best friends.
- Reality Ensues: Pinkie trying to surprise the combat-trained Agatha with a Party Cannon gets exactly the counteroffensive reaction one would expect.
- Running Gag:
Pony being addressed: "Donkey? Where?"
- Shout-Out: to Discworld — After Applejack brings several jars of her family's trademark Gargle Blaster to the wedding, she and several of the girls end up singing the Hedgehog Song. (Note also that the Gargle Blaster in the Tiffany Aching subseries is "Special Sheep Liniment".)
- Stubborn Hair: Rarity's efforts to tame Agatha's cowlick escalate until she starts going into the Madness Place.
Agatha: Is that a Vohlman Class Three Resurrection Circuit?
Rarity: (Attaching alligator clips to Agatha's mane) Now just sit still, while Spike plugs this into the lightning rod. We'll have the pegasi summon a teensy little lightning storm so this WILL NOT DEFEAT ME—
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: It doesn't take Agatha long to figure that the locals blatantly disregard normal physics. Being a Mad Scientist she gets over it reasonably quickly. After all, magic is just another form of SCIENCE!
- Sugar Bowl: Repeatadly lampshaded by Agatha. Ultimately averted, as she learns of the Mane Six's heroic deeds and decides Equestria is not so safe after all.
- Twitchy Eye: Rarity gets one when she realises that Agatha is a mechanic... working with grease and oil... Fortunately, it doesn't last long.