Fanfic: Friendship Is Empathy
Friendship is Empathy
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic
written by Trinary
One day at the Golden Oak’s library, Twilight Sparkle is enthusiastic about a new project recommended to her by Princess Celestia. That is, to catalog the various Friendship reports she has written during since her arrival in Ponyville, as well as those of the friends she has met, and even her loyal assistant Spike, in a book. Feeling nostalgic, Twilight rereads the reports, warming up at the thought of these lessons making her and her friends become better ponies (or dragon in Spike’s case).
Something’s amiss though. To Twilight’s shock
, she discovers that Rainbow Dash’s letter on humility following the Mare Do Well business is not among the letters sent by the Princess.
Soon fearing the worst, Twilight confronts Rainbow Dash. After some prodding, the unicorn gets an answer for why the letter is not there: Dash never wrote it. She angrily reveals the feelings of isolation and betrayal she harbored for her friends playing Mare Do Well that kept her from writing a nice sounding letter. Things escalate with Twilight unloading her bottled up resentment towards Rainbow— and by extension the others— for being duped by Queen Chrysalis and abandoning her at the Royal Wedding rehearsal. With the argument jeopardizing their friendship, can the two reconcile?
Now has a live reading, which can be viewed ''here
This Fanfic provides examples of the following tropes:
- Deadpan Snarker: Twilight puts this trait to especially venomous use when she questions Rainbow Dash’s loyalty. When they reconcile, Dash even apologizes for calling her Twilight Snarkle, which Twilight notes she never did call her that.
- Deconstruction Fic: Deconstructs the extremely controversial “Mysterious Mare-Do-Well,” as well as the ending of “A Canterlot Wedding, Part 1.” The ending is happy, however.
- Hypocrite: Dash felt this way about Twilight, asking her why (among other things) she and the others tried to stick it to Rainbow with the Mare Do Well, while not similarly trying to outdo Applejack when Applejack claimed she could harvest all of the apples at Sweet Apple Acres.
- Shipper on Deck: Granny Smith tries to set up Rainbow Dash and Big Macintosh, to their embarrassment.
- Team Mom: Applejack. Not only does she provide Rainbow a shoulder to cry on, she lets her rest at Sweet Apple Acres and even has her stay for a meal before getting her to make amends with Twilight.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Rainbow Dash and Twilight’s argument is filled with this.