The Celestia vs The World: Ambition That Attracts DarknessIs an Alternate Universe (or AU) fanfiction written by Xen Kenshin. It's a still in progress trilogy based off of the Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's franchise. The story revolves around several characters, all of which were submitted by various other members of fanfiction.net and integrated into the story.
At the conclusion of the 5D's plot, an alternate reality governed by a group of five omnipresent beings known as 'The Celesital Pentagon' are facing their slow yet sure demise at the hands of resident Big Bad Eagle D. Iniquity. The Celestial Pentagon realize that the events of the Canon have had adverse, if not down right negative, effects on their very existence and must select five mortals to combat Eagle, and restore their power, thus reinstating the balance between the two realities. If Eagle is left unchecked, The Celestial Pentagon will fade into nothingness and both universe, perhaps with many others, will be swallowed by darkness.
Currently at thirteen chapters, and can be read here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7639206/1/
This story provides examples of:
- The Ace: Recuk Revajik. He's been the reignning champ since before the plot started.//
- Since before the story started.
- The Amnesia Hero: Jake. He can't remember his last name, or anything before age nine for that matter. //
- It's worth noting that can only recall one memory from earlier than nine - all he can see is (human) shapes and colors.
- Badass Army: The Big Bad's secretly operated gang of Elite Mooks known as The Iniquity Force. //
- He even has a special task force within his special task force he referrs to as his 'clean up crew'.
- Badass Biker=}: Arguably each member of the main cast who owns a duel runner. To an extent.* [=Badass Crew: What the pivotal group of the story is gearing up to be. //
- What those Chosen By Fate are destined to become (Status Quo Is God)
- Badass Damnsel: Nada, the Femme Fatal, is shown to have great...negotiation skills (Most Common Superpower) and won't hesitate to use them should things go wrong. //
- She is also capable of duking it out with the best of them, demonstrated when the Amnesia Hero wakes up from a drug induced sleep.
- Badass Longcoat: Recuk's black coat which goes perfectly with his black attire and brooding mood.
- Eagle gets this too for his long, brown Eisenhower jacket. The rest of his attire matches as well. (Color Coded For Your Convenience)
- Badass In A Nice Suit: Eagle's Iniquity Force members are all required to wear black suits. It's the color of their shirts that displays their rank and proportionately, their skill level.
- Subversion to Men In Black.
- Bar Brawl: How Recuk and Jake reunite in chapter 3.
- Bash Brothers: Jake and Recuk, two members of the same faction who are also friends, when they reunite as stated in the above trope. //
- Bonus points for playing darts while everyone (else but the bartender) was still unconscious.
Beware the Silly Ones: Bishop Dier, resident Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass, is prone to moments of lethality and intimidation. An example of lethanilty is in chapter nine where even the Badass Damnsel has a tough time figuring out who's more vicious. Intimdation skills shown also in the ninth chapter when he wins a growling showdown with typical Jerkass Toshiro.
- The Big Bad: Eagle D. Iniquity; almost the entire cast thus far has some form of grudge or general dislike for the man. And some things are personal...
- Big Brother Instinct: Matt Uraki is introduced alongside younger brother Tem Uraki; the older brother is concerned for Tem's safety when he hears he is entering the upcoming tournament. //
- Recuk Revajik as well, as several times in the story his distress over his two younger sisters is clearly evident. //
- Jake too, becomes a big brother of sorts to The Cute Kid.
- The Big Guy: Bishop is the Boisterous Brusier of the group; while not larger in size, he's shown to be 'well toned' and posses strength that does not go unnoticed in his intro/fight scene chapter.
- Bob Haircut
- The Butt Monkey: Larva, a stubby, toad-looking, suck up of a man is often served the short end of the stick in many situations. And he has bad luck with the ladies, too.
- Byronic Hero: Recuk fills the first four of the five requirements of this trope.
- Card Carrying Villain: Literally. Being a fan fic based on Yu-Gi-Oh!, expect nearly every villain, rival, antagonist, opponent, speed bump etc... - no matter how minor - to own a deck of (powerful) cards. //
- While not explicitly a villain, minor character Paul Stevens is an Iniquity Industries talent scout who carries copies of his business card on him. His personal number is on the back.
- The Captain: Jake. While not officially stated in the series yet, Bishop addresses him as such:
Bishop: "So, what's our next course of action, captain?"Jake: "Whoa, me?"Bishop: "Recuk said it himself, remeber? You're responsible for all of us. So lead us, oh green and powerful one!"
- Color Coded For Your Convenience: Played with several times. Bishop, often seen wearing yellow, has a mission specific suit made for him. Guess what color it was. //
- Jake, the green haired character, has a matching cellphone. But this might be because his green cellphone has to match his green duel disk, which has to match his green dueling motorcycle, which matches his clothing... //
- It should also be mentioned that the Gods in need of prayers (Gods Need Prayer Badly) of the series were using white as a color motif to symbolize the loss of their powers. In the introduction, the only light in their realm comes from the Crimson Dragon yet towards the end of the Introduction Arc, two of the five members have regained some form of color. //
- Compare Good And Evil For Your Convenience: Starts off as *Heterogeneous Heroes vs. Homogeneous Villains* based on the *RagTag Bunch Of MIsfits* versus the *Big Bad* and his *Evil Army* of suits //
- On a grander scale, it's *Heterogeneous Heroes vs. Heterogeneous Villains* since three warring factions serve as a plot point.
- CommandingCoolness: Bishop is the most likely candidate to become the Right Hand Man for the leader of one of the Three Warring Factions. //
- We even get some insight on not only how close he is with the Tempest Queen (yes, the leader is a woman), but how much his subordinates both fear and respect him.
- CrouchingMoron, Hidden Badass: Arguably Bishop, as several other characters comment, remark, or gawk at his more outlandish moments but the Ace and the Hero are aware of his possibly destructive potential.
- DarkIsNotAlwaysEvil: Recuk, possibly the most powerful protagonist due to his status as Internation Champion, uses a deck composed of Fiend-Type monsters (Fiends usually being assosciated with evil or darkness) known as 'Fabled'. He himself dresses in dark, military like attire, possibly an allusion to this trope itself. //
- The Fabled may all be Fiend-Type monsters, but they are all LIGHT Attribute monsters. What a twist!