Fan Fic: SMB Cloning Blues
SMB: Cloning Blues is a Super Mario Bros. fan fic by troper Captain Cook.Mario and Peach are walking together on the outskirts of Toad Town when Bowser attacks the Mushroom Kingdom (who didn't see that coming?). They flee down a warp pipe, only for them to be ambushed by Belome. He makes a clone of Peach, and somehow the clone gets kidnapped by Bowser instead. After a bit of discussion, Mario and Peach decide to save her.
This fic contains examples of:
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Apparently every clone Belome makes is this. He tries to brainwash Apricot again during the heroes' return trip.
- Clone Degeneration: For some reason, Belome's clones disappear when they die.
- Cloning Blues: Apricot.
- Don't Try This at Home: A couple of lines after Bowser admitted the Stripperrific costume he had designed was based on fan-art, He says this, along with "Google Safesearch isn't safe."
- Evil Is Sexy / Stripperific: As mentioned above, Bowser supplies the clone with a clothing he had designed based on this fan art.
- Expendable Clone: Bowser considers Apricot to be this at first, but doesn't seem to mind having them both. Belome thinks they're only good for beating up his prey.
- Extreme Omnivore: Belome.
- Fan Verse: The author seems to be aiming for this.
- Green Thumb: Had the clone not been rescued, she'd probably wind up with this power.
- Heel-Face Turn: Forge.
- In-Series Nickname: Apricot used to be nicknamed Apryl, but the author removed it due to it being unnecessary.
- Mauve Shirt: Forge the Hammer Bro.
- Original Character: Apricot the clone and Forge the Hammer Bro.
- Stockholm Syndrome: The clone starts succumbing to this rather quickly. Bowser is actively pushing this along.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Peach gives one to Bowser.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted. Toadsworth asks the clone if she wants counseling after being brainwashed twice and manipulated by Bowser.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Mario and Peach treat the clone as a human being. Belome doesn't think any of his clones can be called human.