"I've had it. I've tried being nice, and I've tried being logical, but shit just keeps happening and I. Have. Had it. We're charging the base! Mr. Zoro, get your ass in gear!"—>—HanleyHanley
is a One Piece fanfiction by NibelungVelocity
This story in essence is an insertion, but not a self insertion, of an OC into the One Piece world. Surprisingly near every cliche associated with these ideas is either averted or lampshaded.
Her unwilling journey down the rabbit hole, via a mysterious storm at sea sets her on the path of Dorothy, to find her way home. But with no form of yellow brick road to follow and the attentions of a certain straw hat wearing boy, getting home is easier said than done.
The story begin roughly ten years before the start of the series proper following Hanley's preparations for her journey in a dangerous world and subsequent journey. The story is an Alternate Universe Fic
both by the author's deign and due to developments in the series since the story was started. Development of the main character is a major focus of the story proving in regard to OCs
and insertions that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
The story is infrequently updated to say the least, but fans tend to forgive that in light of the arc spanning chapters which are considered to be high quality by reviewers.
"Tropes appearing in this work include:"
- Big "WHAT?!": The crew were very taken aback when they learned that Hanley is the captain's wife. Justified that she and Luffy never got around into telling them.
- Double Entendre: Hanley's wanted poster: Man-Eater. She is needlessly embarrassed when learning the double entendre.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Krut Thai was nicknamed as "Krutty" by Garp.
- Oblivious to Love: Luffy's misinterpretation of marriage, as he believed it is a special kind of friendship between husband and wife, and proposed to Hanley to be his "wife". He later "propose" again to Nami after she left for Arlong Park in an attempt to convince her back to his crew.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis! : Luffy: "Best. Wife. Ever!"
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: There is a reason that Kadru Handerson was known as "Handerson the Raging Nudist".
- Clay Clay user Natsuhiko's alternate name Karlo Basil is the name (having the first and last name switch around) of the original Batman villain Clayface.
- Snake People: Kadru Handerson and her granddaughter Hanley.
- Team Mom: Refreshingly, Hanley has an actual role in the crew, and this would appear to be it. She's constantly worrying for the well being of the other crewmembers and puts a considerable amount of time and effort into ensuring that all crewmembers are emotionally and physically healthy (futile an effort as that may be). It's especially appropriate considering that she's the captain's wife.
- Training from Hell: Hanley's tutelage with Krut Thai, which included being shot by Hired Guns.
- Trapped in Another World
- Your Soul Is Mine: Apparently Type One, Snake People has this as their natural ability. It is also Kadru Handerson's hobby in collecting people's souls into magatama; among her collection is Fisher Tiger's.