Fan Fic: Fairytales
Fairytales is a fanfic one-shot by Commander, written as a series of vignettes that act as sequels (or in some cases, prequels) to many of the Disney Princess movies. The vignettes each occupy a different timespace from 934 AD to 1934 AD and take place in different settings (Agrabah shows up twice, albeit centuries apart). As a Disney fanfic, it stands out as being somewhat more mature and grounded with its subject matter while never seeming irreverent to the fairy tale spirit of the original movies. As an added bonus, all of the vignettes are tied together by the year 1934 when it's revealed that all of the Disney princesses and princes occupy the same family tree.
Tropes that appear in the fic:
- Book Ends: With characters from Aladdin; the first vignette shows Aladdin discussing with Jasmine on how he'll do as a father and the very end of the story has the Genie fly back to Aladdin to tell him that even after a millenium, his descendents are going to be pretty well-off.
- Death by Childbirth: Poor, poor Snow White...
- Dojikko: A good reason why Tiana doesn't want Naveen in the kitchen alone.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Um, duh.
- Flat Earth Atheist: Tiana and Naveen's daughter Renee, a five-year-old one no less.
- Oscar, the prince from "Cinderella", is also portrayed as this... until he met his bride-to-be at that one ball.
- Happily Married: Subverted, surprisingly enough, in Snow White and Cinderella's case. The former because her fairy tale romance just began and ended much too quickly for her to adjust; the latter because the loss of two of her children before she found out one did survive left her in grief for ten years. We can also assume that the trope was averted with Naveen's grandparents.
- Lamarck Was Right: Renee has her mother's pragmatic mindset and is said to have her father's charm, wit, and irresponsibility.
- Love at First Sight: Melody and Alphonse (Belle and Henri's son), to the point Melody's mother is surprised. And knowing Ariel, that says a whole lot.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Every one of the (marketed) Disney princesses up to Tiana show up, some even meeting with characters that were made decades later.
- Rebellious Princess: Princess Lamya of Agrabah seems to take certain traits from one of her ancestors.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Most of the portrayed royals.
- Satellite Love Interest: Averted; each vignette is pretty short, but the ones centering around the earlier Disney princes (who are often criticized as such) manage to give them as much depth as the space allows.
- Spin-Offspring: Melody remains the only "official" Spin-Offspring that was made by Disney; the rest of them... go weird directions.
- Tangled Family Tree: Oh, where to begin?