Fanfic / A Song Of Storms
A Song of Storms
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfiction series created by The 24th Pegasus. It covers currently two complete stories, A Song of Storms: Of Skies Long Forgotten
and A Song of Storms: Snow and Shadows
, as well as one (stated as the final major piece) work in progress: A Song of Storms: Summer Lands
. It's the part of a collaborate Price of Loyalty
universe.Of Skies Long Forgotten
takes place twenty years before the events of the Hearth's Warming Eve story, and shows the Cirran Empire at the peak of it's power, initiating what's supposed to be a quick punitive campaign
against ever rebelling Griffons. However the conflict soon escalates into a war of annihilation, and Hurricane walks through it all alongside his people, to be shaped into the stallion we see in Snow and Shadows.A Song of Storms: Snow and Shadows
is built around Commander Hurricane's journal and tells a grim story of strife and conflict that predated and caused Windigos' Curse. The story shows how long and winding was the road to the Heart Warming, both for the main characters and the Tribes, and what price had been paid.A Song of Storms: Summer Lands
is built around the journal of Typhoon and Cyclone. This story goes into the troubles the young Equestrian nation faced and the secrets of that dark period of Equestria's history.
A Song of Storms provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptational Badass: Commander Hurricane, the side character of MLP:FIM mythos became a Memetic Badass in-universe, everything he does is either badass or made according to the Rule of Cool.
- Arc Words: "Ante Legionem nihil erat, et nihil erit post Legionem."
- Darker and Edgier
- Fantastic Racism: Because love and tolerance had to be worked towards.
- Unreliable Narrator: Every story is centered around a personal journal (either of Hurricane himself or his children), so one can only wonder how much the facts were tweaked, both consciously and unconsciously. It's woth noting, however, that after the discovery of said journals they are never doubted by any of the scolars that study them, including Twilight Sparkle.
Of Skies Long Forgotten provides examples of:
- Bad Ass: Most of the characters on whom the narration is focused qualify, of course the main example is Emperor Hurricane. That guy is practically Made of Badassery.
- The Empire: Cirra, not surprisingly, considering that it's a Roman Empire with ponies, based entirely around their military organization (see Arc Word). The Griffon Empire became a carbon copy of Cirra at some point after the war.
- Fantastic Racism: Lots and lots of it and then some. One of the main reasons behind the constant conflicts between the Pegasi and the Griffons.
- Final Solution: Cirran command eventually decides that it's the only way to pacify the Griffons and insure the Empire's long-term safety. it didn't end up well for said Empire.
- Master Race: Both sides of the conflict regard themselves as such, with Cirrans actually 'walking the walk', right until their brutal defeat and almost total annihilation
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Despite the fact that amjority of Cirran Legionaries being decent ponies that love their country, they still participate in a Final Solution plan and commit war crimes
- Patriotic Fervor: Every (loyal) citizen of Cirran Empire initially feels that way, as well as almost every Griffon. This mindset is coupled with a heavy dose of religious zealotry in Griffon's case.
- Species Loyalty: For Cirrans and Griffons alike this is a crucial part of their world-view and one of the main virtues a citizen can possess.
- This Means War!: Hardly surprising reaction of Cirran Empire, to what seems like an ordinary Griffon rebellion starting with an attempt on Emperor's life.
Snow and Shadows provides examples of:
Summer Lands provides examples of: