The Dark House Series is a collection of stories from the point of view of several people, Amity, the begining protaganist of the first two books and Mark, an amnesic that wakes up in a pit of corpses in book three. Several Prequels have Levi, Sohpia, Carrie, and a girl named Polly.
1) Dark House
- Amity, 15, has a lost and found business and uses her odd ability to find things to scrape a living after her mother was traumatized by the town hanging one of her employers and driving the other to suicide. After she helps the eldest Carver son out of a beating, a group of teenagers kidnap The younger brother and lock him in the basement of the empty Doctors house.
- It soon becomes apparent that the alleged empty house is in fact, very haunted. Injured with her powers going haywire, Amity needs to find Shawn Carver somewhere in the house before the thing that killed the kidnappers do.
0) Stained Floors
- It follows Sophia, Amity's mother in her job as the maid of the Ringer family. One night the Family is attacked by the spirits that had died in the house, mistaking the doctor for the doctor that experiment and killed them. While she discovers some secrets of the house, she is effectively Mind Raped by a spirit to the point of being catatonic explaining her behavior in the first book. The climax is a Foregone Conclusion, as she tried to stop the town hanging the mother but failed.
-1) Circus Act
- As a side project Cherry researches the Doctor's old Library and finds several incidents that predate the Witch Trails to the Great Off Screen War. While the Countries are never named, it becomes apparent that the world is an Alternate Universe to the readers. It details the life of the Doctor before and after his experiments leading right up to His death. She also details several stories that range from filler to plot points.
2) Midnight Asylum
- After the events of the first book Amity finds herself in an asylum as apart of her plan to find the "alive" Annabelle Ringer and meets several other people with powers like her. The Asylum was created over the remains of a bombed sector 13 which housed children with powers.
- Apocalyptic Log: Dr. John's research turns into this, it's what hints that he's been possessed
- The tape recorder in the DreamScape.
- Bedlam House: Subverted with Midnight Psychiatric Hospital for Adolescents. The staff truly wants to help the patients heal. Then the Possessed Dr. John takes over...
- Double Subverted: They are absolutley prepared to lock inmates up, use force and unconventional means to subdue them. At once point, one gave Phil a concussion to make him stop screaming when sedatives weren't enough.
- Bedsheet Ghost: The Ghast in Annabelle's room.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The Little girl that was given help to escape Sector 13 is actually Amity's grandmother. The rest of the children appear grown up later on.
- Coldblooded Torture: Levi's backstory, along with several other ghosts.
- Fights Like a Normal: Amity has unreliable empathic powers, so has to rely on her own skills.
- Ghost Amnesia: Levi, the classical fuzzy memory spirit.
- Then Subverted in the short story. Levi remembers EXACTLY how he died.
- there where hints that he was lying from the start. Then the prequel revealed that he was the angriest spirit and started the attack on the ringers in a fit of rage.
- Ghost City: The Dreamscape is basically this. Clearly Silent Hill was being channeled.
- Grand Theft Me: Dr. John. Amity as off the end of Midnight Asylum
- Hero of Another Story: This is a running theme through all the books where other people's actions lead up to helping with the main story.
- most of them meet up in the next book
- Kill It with Fire: A common tactic by the Ghasts.
- The only way to kill the Drawn Monsters is to find their anchors and burn them.
- Kill It with Water: Only one ghast partakes in this. It fit's with the Bloody Mary theme.
- I See Dead People: A side effect of Empathy.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: Subverted then played with when it's clear that Amity inherited her sensing powers from her mother but her statistic warping powers from her father. which no one noticed until the second book in the series.
- Occult Detective: Amity becomes this, John has shades of this as well in the last book.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: The essence of a person trapped were they died, which is called a 'ghast' is more common then the traditional broading ghost. At times it's hard to tell what's what.
- Power Incontinence: Amity suffers from this when around strong emotion. Word of God says if she turned right in the cellar, it would have drove her mad.
- Her mother actually suffered this.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: It's mentioned that one was standing at the top window, but Amity does not run into her through the coarse of the series.
- Torture Cellar: There is one under the house that is quiet large. But after Annabelle returns, it becomes bigger.
- Took a Level in Badass: John Carver, already Made of Iron but starts to really show when he goes from screaming at the sight of Dark One to tackling a Mist Monster with his bare hands.
- What Happened to the Mouse?? Melody, Annabelle’s older sister has been stated not to have been murdered by Dark One, but nothing else has been said.