The Dark House Series is narrated by an old friend of the protagonist for the first two books, but becomes the story teller of many other events that follow different people. While Amity travels she sends letters to C.A Cherry to update her on her adventure, and when Amity stops replying the narrator ventures to continue the story. All of the Books are connected in some way, while they be read as stand alone, information on events can be read else where.
1) Dark House
- Amity, 15 has a lost and found business, and uses her odd ability to find things to scrape a living after her mother was traumatized by the town hanging her employer and driving the other to suicide. When Amity is asked to find a group of lost boys she immediately sets of for the haunted Doctor's house, as she knew one of the missing boys and knew they could not resist daring each other to sleep in the house for a night. People have ventured inside and gone insane like her mother, or ended up dead. Amity must venture deep into the house to find Shawn, who unlike the others had left the front hall and is lost somewhere in the house. While searching, she finds many dark secrets about the house, and the creature stalking the halls.
0) Stained Floors
- It follows Sophia, Amity's mother in her job as the maid of the Ringer family. One night the Family is attacked by the spirits that had died in the house, mistaking the doctor for the doctor that experiment and killed them. While she discovers some secrets of the house, she is effectively Mind Raped by a spirit to the point of being catatonic explaining her behavior in the first book. The climax is a Foregone Conclusion, as she tried to stop the town hanging the mother but failed.
-1) Circus Act
- As a side project Cherry researches the Doctor's old Library and finds several incidents that predate the Witch Trails to the Great Off Screen War. While the Countries are never named, it becomes apparent that the world is an Alternate Universe to the readers. It details the life of the Doctor before and after his experiments leading right up to His death. She also details several stories that range from filler to plot points.
- Amity Finds a Playground.
- Shawn braves the house again.
- Levi's life before dying.
2) Midnight Asylum
- After the events of the first book Amity finds herself in an asylum as apart of her plan to find the "alive" Annabelle Ringer and meets several other people with powers like her. The Asylum was created over the remains of a bombed sector 13 which housed children with powers.
- Abandoned Playground: In the short story collection Amity comes across one. It's haunted by dead children as well as the creature that killed them.
- Apocalyptic Log: Dr. John's research turns into this, it's what hints that he's been possessed
- In the short story, Melody's Diary for Shawn.
- The Diaries that Cherry finds in the Library.
- Author Appeal: Cherry likes to explain the meaning of some words, very reminiscing to Lemony Snicket
- Bedlam House: Subverted with Midnight Psychiatric Hospital for Adolescents. The staff truly wants to help the patients heal. Then the Possessed Dr. John takes over...
- Bedsheet Ghost: The Ghast in Annabelle's room. for the love of GOD don't remove the sheet.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The Little girl that was given help to escape Sector 13 is actually Amity's grandmother. The rest of the children appear grown up later on.
- Coldblooded Torture: Levi's backstory, along with several other ghosts.
- Fights Like a Normal: Amity has unreliable empathic powers, so has to rely on her own skills.
- Ghost Amnesia: Levi, the classical fuzzy memoried spirit.
- Then Subverted in the short story. Levi remembers EXACTLY how he died.
- there where hints that he was lying from the start. Then the prequel revealed that he was the angriest spirit and started the attack on the ringers in a fit of rage.
- Ghost City: The Dreamscape is basically this. Clearly Silent Hill was being channeled.
- Grand Theft Me: Dr. John. Amity as well
- Hero of Another Story: This is a running theme through all the books where C.A.Cherry speaks of the other people's actions that lead up to helping with the main story. The Short Stories released have a few of them.
- most of them meet up in ther next book
- Kill It with Fire: A common tactic by the Ghasts. Cherry mentions a case where one girl spontaniously caught on fire.
- Kill It with Water: Only one ghast partakes in this. It fit's with the Bloody Mary theme.
- Haunted Heroine: Subverted, Amity actively looks and hunts down places that may be haunted. In the last book she mentions wanting to continue looking for hauntings.
- I See Dead People: Amity says this to her new friends at MPHA.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: Subverted then played with when it's clear that Amity inherited her sensing powers from her mother but her statistic warping powers from her father. which no one noticed until the second book in the series.
- Occult Detective: Amity becomes this, John has shades of this as well in the last book.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: The essence of a person trapped were they died, which is called a 'ghast' is more common then the traditional broading ghost. At times it's hard to tell what's what.
- Power Incontinence: Amity suffers from this when around strong emotion. Word Of God says if she turned right in the cellar, it would have drove her mad.
- Her mother actually suffered this.
- Self Harm: Amity, Phil and Carrie are accused of doing this, in Amity's case a house was trying to kill her. Phil has invisible monsters torturing him and any injury Carrie sustains in the dreamworld she gets on her body awake.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: In the prologue, it's mentioned that one was standing at the top window, but Amity does not run into her through the coarse of the series.
- Torture Cellar: There is one under the house as big as the damn thing.
- Took a Level in Badass: John.
- What Happened to the Mouse?? Melody, Annabelle’s older sister has been stated not to have been murdered by Dark One, but nothing else has been said.