Darth Wiki: How Not To Write A Trope Page
At TV Tropes
, we don't want to stifle your creative talent. Feel free to add pages if you think they are warranted. Why waste all the time getting the page just right? You don't want to deprive anyone of it for longer than you need to, do you? Now remember these rules.
Compare How Not To Write An Example
- Don't put the examples markup before the examples. Everyone knows they're the examples because of the bullet points.
- Don't bother putting anything through YKTTW, it never helps.
- If it's a work page, you must put it through YKTTW.
- The title must either be a Word Salad Title or be a reference to the obscure show of yours that everybody watches - preferably both.
- Post some arbitrary picture that has nothing to do with the trope in question, and put a description of how the picture is related in the captioning - after all, why use the actual body or the examples section for something like that?
- Create plural redirects to your trope page, everybody loves them!
- Initialism redirects are excellent as well, and if you can work out a plural initialism to make into a redirect, you can have some ice cream after dinner.
- Insert Take Thats everywhere you can fit them against things you hate. (Take That, editors fond of using Take Thats!)
- You shouldn't Spoil out (now that you can't strike) anything on the main page that you're changing - it helps people save time by knowing what was changed without needing to go to the "history" section of the page.
- Shoehorn in as much potholes to tropes as you can, regardless of the actual context or if the page even actually exists.
- No matter what the trope content or how little they may belong, references must be made to the following: Sonic the Hedgehog, Doctor Who, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, The Nostalgia Critic and/or The Nostalgia Chick, The Order of the Stick, Warhammer 40,000, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Suzumiya Haruhi and maybe Avatar: The Last Airbender. Bonus points if you have to make up events wholesale.
- More bonus points if you say "Obligatory X Example".
- More more bonus points if it's an obligatory Doctor Who example.
- You freaking forgot Ranma ½, Naruto, and Neon Genesis Evangelion! You guys are so lucky I'm around. Oh, and while I'm here, always remember that people will never realize what a huge favour you've done them by fixing the page unless you make sure to remind them by using first person and This Troper all over the place, and making it clear that you've fixed an otherwise horribly wrong page, leaving in as much as it takes to prove that the page was horribly broken before you made your long-awaited "Big Damn Heroes" entrance. TV Tropes is a great place to say A God Am I where nobody can remind you that you're fat, ugly and You Need to Get Laid. Oh, and spamming Pot Holes to everything vaguely relevant to your words, it's a great way to prove your wit. Bonus points for an All-Blue Entry. Oh, and don't forget to go wildly Off Topic and write a massive Author Tract into all of your edits, otherwise you're worse than Hitler - he made one legitimately contributory edit And That's Terrible.
- You Must Always Type Like This And Say Why You Rock And Others Don't.
- IGgNorr gRammAHR anND speHling.
-Ignore proper formatting