Creator: Ving Rhames
What does Ving Rhames look like?Irving Rameses "Ving" Rhames was born May 12, 1959 in New York City. He discovered a love of acting in High School, and got his start in the Broadway play The Winter Boys, and from there worked in a number of Soap Operas and supporting roles until his big break as crime boss Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction. He has since worked in the Mission: Impossible movies, Con Air, Dawn of the Dead (2004), and even Lilo & Stitch, among many other roles. Unfortunately, much of his more recent output has consisted of Direct-to-Video "movies".
- Casualties of War (1989) — Lt. Reilly
- Jacobs Ladder (1990) — George
- The People Under the Stairs (1991) — Leroy
- Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (1992) — Mr. Stereo
- Pulp Fiction (1994) — Marcellus Wallace
- Mission: Impossible (1996) — Luther Stickell
- Striptease (1996) — Shad
- Con Air (1997) — Diamond Dog
- Out of Sight (1998) — Buddy Bragg
- Entrapment (1999) — Aaron Thibadeaux
- Mission: Impossible II (2000) — Luther Stickell
- Undisputed (2001) — George 'Iceman' Chambers
- Lilo & Stitch (2002) — Cobra Bubbles (voice)
- Dark Blue (2002) — Deputy Chief Arthur Holland
- Dawn of the Dead (2004) — Officer Kenneth
- Mission: Impossible III (2006) — Luther Stickell
- Day of the Dead (2008) — Captain Rhodes
- The Tournament (2009) — Joshua Harlow
- Surrogates (2009) — The Prophet
- Give 'Em Hell, Malone (2009) — Boulder
- Piranha 3D (2010) — Deputy Fallon
- Death Race 2 (2010) — Weyland
- Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011) — Luther Stickell
- Piranha 3DD (2012) — Deputy Fallon
- Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015 — Luther Stickell
Tropes relating to Ving Rhames include:
- Bald of Awesome: Usually crossing with Bald Black Leader Guy.
- Guttural Growler: "Step aside, Butch," is absolutely hair-raising the way he says it.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He got a Golden Globe for playing Don King (who is... not a nice guy), but gave the award to Jack Lemmon (nominated in the same category for 12 Angry Men), who said it was "one of the sweetest moments I've ever known in my life."
- Scary Black Man: In the movies, at least.