We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Vi Hart is a "recreational mathemusician" with a site
and a Youtube channel
. She really gained her fame when John Green discovered her
as part of The Station Is Watching You, and has since gotten herself over 180,000 subscribers on Youtube. As you could guess from her "job title," her videos center around math and a little music, as well as doodling.
Vi Hart provides examples of:
- Brick Joke: Every single of her "Doodling in Math Class" videos, where she notes what the math teacher is talking about, and later comes at the exact same topic with her doodling.
- Call Back: In The Gauss Chrismath Special.
- Catch Phrase: As previously mentioned, "Let's say/Pretend you're me and your in math class..."
- Christmas Special: The Gauss Christmath Special
- Cool Teacher: Fans want her to be theirs. And since she's one of the minds behind Khan Academy, she sort of can be.
- Detached Sleeves: She is seen wearing these on a regular basis, but they fit close enough to her arms that one could mistake them for a sweater due to how her hands are usually the only part of her seen in most videos.
- Food Porn: Her Thanksgiving mathematical food videos, with the capper being a Turduckenailail-enailail-duckenailail-enailail, a turkey stuffed with two ducks, each stuffed with two hens, each stuffed with two quail eggs. Also her "hex mex" hexaflexagon burrito.
- Holding Both Sides of the Conversation: Wind and Mr. Ug are actually the same guy, except mirrored, due to the way a Möbius strip works. As such, Wind is writing to herself, but, reading mirrored versions of her words and buildings, she believes a different guy is there with her.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The number 1 is turned into Wau, of which many unusual properties are listed.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Comments on her videos and channel have included such gems as "she sounds hot and nerdy," "are you single," "i want to make babies with you," and "my brain has an erection."
- Running Gag: Many of her videos have some form of this, including Beans for "What was up with Pythagoras?" and Angry Birds in Connecting Dots.
- Second-Person Narration
- Self Insert: Arguably, Wind from Wind and Mr. Ug, seeing as Vi depicts both herself and Wind as triangles, while other people are stretched-out stickmen.
- Shout-Out: She's done plenty.
- The Faceless: Most of the time in her videos, she only appears as a pair of hands. Unlike CGP Grey, though, she is not maintaining a secret identity, instead wanting to show her notebook in detail, and will gladly appear uncovered in other people's videos.