Creator / Uri
Uri is a creator of pixellated RPG-style adventure games, generally in the horror genre. She creates her games in Wolf RPG Editor.
So far, games created by Uri include: Insanity
, The Crooked Man
, Mermaid Swamp
, The Sand Man
, The Boogie Man
, and The Hanged Man
. Currently, she's working on another game, Pedestal
, with a trailer available for viewing.
Her website can be found here
Tropes common to Uri's works include:
- Body Horror: The monster in Paranoiac is very disfigured and has to crawl along the ground. David's adversary in The Crooked Man has one of the worst neck cricks in existence. And in Mermaid Swamp, Yuka's illness causes her to swell, the mermaid of the legend suffers serious health issues and becomes hideous as a result of her entrapment, and the less said about the not-really-mermaids who were the basis for the mermaid legend, the better.
- Driven to Suicide: There will probably be at least one character who does this per game.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: While her games tend to enter some very dark places, they not only tend to have one happy ending among a few bad ones, the happy ending will be one that the characters (and the player) have definitely worked for.
- Multiple Endings: Most of her games include this trope.
- Signature Style: So far, most of her games have somehow involved a very flawed, just-this-side-of-sane protagonist having to uncover the motives of a restless ghost.
- So far, the only game that didn't include this is Insanity. The primary antagonist is a human who suffered from a Despair Event Horizon after his daughter's death. Since then, he has been trying to "resurrect" dead humans. When the main characters arrive at the main setting, he starts chasing after them.
- Sanity Slippage: A major theme throughout her games.
- In Paranoiac, Miki's aunt suffered this before her death, and Miki herself suffers depression. It's left in the open whether the monster attacks are even happening at all.
- In The Crooked Man, David obviously suffers this at least a little bit and has to try to overcome his issues.
- In Mermaid Swamp, while Yuuta was under Demonic Possession when he went crazy early on, and without its influence would probably have been just fine, Rin and Seitaro both crack in some endings if things get bad enough. Rin in particular.
- Similarly, in The Sand Man, Sophie breaks down in three of the bad endings.
- In The Boogie Man, this happens to Keith in two of the Bad Ends, both which involve Helena dying somehow.
- Tragic Monster:
- In Paranoiac, the monster that attacks Miki every night is just her aunt Saeki, and all she wants is to make up with Miki.
- In The Crooked Man, the Crooked Man is really a man named Duke, and he hates David and is really trying to kill him...and at the same time wants him to survive all the things that had driven Duke to suicide.
- In Mermaid Swamp, the alleged mermaids don't mean any harm at all and just want to be given a proper burial.
- In The Sand Man, all the guy wants to do is sleep, and stopped time and put everyone to sleep 'forever' so that he could get some rest without having to worry about work. He also honestly wants to help Sophie, and doesn't understand why she doesn't want to sleep.
- Utsuge: More than being scary, Uri's games have a tendency to be just plain sad.
- The Verse: The Strange Men Series which consists of The Crooked Man, The Sandman, The Boogie Man, and The Hanged Man.