Creator: Ryk E. Spoor
Ryk E. Spoor is an American science fiction and fantasy writer.His major universes are:
- A multiverse that includes the Jason Wood series (set in present-day Earth) and Phoenix Rising (set in the magical universe-equivalent of Earth), the first of a trilogy. There are also several more unpublished novels in this multiverse; some can be found in serialized form in his Paradigms Lost forum on Baen's Bar. Phoenix in Shadow will be published in May of 2015, and Phoenix Ascendent will probably to be released in 2016.
- The Boundary series, co-written with Eric Flint: Boundary, Threshold, and Portal (upcoming, early 2013). Discovery of alien archaeological artifacts drives a mission to Mars. Another novel set in the same universe, Castaway Planet has been released, and a second Castaway Odyssey is under contract and currently being written.
- Grand Central Arena. The good news: FTL travel is possible. The bad news: You don't get to travel through interstellar space, you get to enter the Arena and play by the Precursors' rules. A sequel, Spheres of Influence, was released in 2013, and third book, Challenges of the Deeps is under contract.
Works by Ryk E. Spoor with their own trope pages include:
Tropes in other works:
- Covers Always Lie: Attempted aversion that failed. One scene in "Diamonds Are Forever" was specifically written so that Baen books, notorious for their covers, would have a legitimate reason to have a cover showing an attractive woman in her underwear fighting a dragon. They didn't fall for it.
- Our Monsters Are Different: "Diamonds Are Forever", which has some stylistic and thematic similarities to the Jason Wood stories (although there's no character overlap and officially it's not part of the same world), has Our Dragons Are Different and thoroughly averts Our Dwarves Are All the Same.