"I'm not a sci-fi lover; I wasn't from the start. So perhaps I miss that passion for other worlds, other dimensions, that sort of scope and that magnitude of storytelling; that's not my thing though I meet plenty of people whose thing it definitely is."Paul McGann (born 14 November 1959) is an English actor who made his name on the BBC serial The Monocled Mutineer, in which he played the lead role. He's also known for his role in Withnail & I, and for portraying the Eighth Doctor in the 1996 Doctor Who television movie and subsequent Big Finish Doctor Who audio plays, along with a brief appearance in the revived series.Despite his extremely brief on-screen tenure in Doctor Who, his Doctor is well-loved due to his being a connecting thread during Who's cancellation years; his comic series and audio adventures have quite a large fandom. Starting in 2008, he stopped being a regular in the monthly episodes and started starring in his own separate Big Finish Doctor Who series The New Eighth Doctor Adventures. McGann finally got to canonically connect the dots between his Eighth Doctor and Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor via John Hurt's War Doctor seventeen years later in the minisode The Night of the Doctor.His brother, Stephen, currently plays Dr. Turner on Call the Midwife.Tweets as @pauljmcgann.
- Alien³: Walter Golic. You might remember him better as "The inmate that called the Alien a dragon".
- The Three Musketeers (1993): Gerard and one of the Cardinal's guards.
- The Monocled Mutineer: Percy Toplis
- Withnail & I: Marwood(I)
- Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor in:
- The Hanging Gale: Father Liam Phelan.
- Horatio Hornblower: Lieutenant Bush
- Queen of the Damned: David Talbot
- Lesbian Vampire Killers: Vicar
- Luther: Mark North
- Ripper Street: Stanley Bones
- The Minister Of Chance: Ambassador Durian
- Always Crashing In The Same Car: Bill Mackinnon
Tropes associated with this actor include:
- Cozy Voice for Catastrophes: His deep, soothing voice has led him to narrate documentaries on uncomfortable and/or frightening subjects. (Counting multiple-episode documentaries, he's narrated nearly a hundred.)
- Cuddle Bug: Ask anyone who's ever hugged him at a convention. He's usually stroking your hand and kissing your face before you even realise what's happening.
- Evil Is Hammy: Whenever he plays a villain. A good example is the Doctor's evil Split Personality Zagreus from the Big Finish story of the same name.
- Mr. Fanservice: Almost every movie he's in casts him as a lust object.
- The Rainbow pushed the trope to its natural limit by having him frolick naked through the woods.
- Withnail & I could easily just have been called "Paul McGann Is Almost Naked A Lot".
- He spends his first ten minutes as the Eighth Doctor wearing nothing but a sheet.
- Lampshaded a bit in a Big Finish episode where, despite it being a sound-only medium, he still manages to lose his shirt. Twice.
- Horatio Hornblower: He's not the only one Mr Fanservice is this series, but his Mr Bush tends to get wet a lot and has some glorious Shirtless Scenes.
- He appeared◊ in the Doctor Who after-credits behind the scenes feature to wish the show a happy fiftieth birthday◊... Which he then followed up with a kiss◊ while looking seductively at the screen. Woof.
- Older Than They Look: Time has been very kind to him between the Doctor Who movie (mid-30s) and the present◊ (early 50s).
- What Beautiful Eyes!: No matter what he's in, it's almost a guarantee his blue eyes will get at least one close-up.