Kevin Michael McHale (born June 14, 1988) is an American actor, dancer and pop singer. Formerly of boy band NLT, McHale is best known for his recent role as Artie Abrams in the Fox hit television series Glee
. Born in Plano, Texas and went to Dooley Elementary School and then to Armstrong Middle School where he participated in the school's pop choir, "Encore". Before becoming an actor, McHale was part of the Boy Band
NLT ("Not Like Them"), which was discovered by Chris Stokes and shortly after released singles such as "That Girl", "She Said, I Said (Time We Let Go)" and "Karma". Despite the talent and a small, yet devoted fanbase, the group didn't go very far and officially split up in 2009, months before McHale made it big as Artie in Glee
Despite his character's disability, McHale, as per his boy band background, is a skilled dancer and has responded that it was hard to keep his feet from moving along with the music while he was on the set. With Glee on its way to its final season, McHale is now also the host of the British panel show Virtually Famous
, based around internet celebrities and memes
Not to be confused with Boston Celtics great Kevin McHale, who did appear on two episodes of Cheers
- 2005: All That (TV Series) — Mark
- 2007: The Office (US) (TV Series) — Delivery Boy
- 2007 – 2008: Zoey 101 (TV Series) — Dooley
- 2008: True Blood (TV Series) — Neil Jones
- 2009–2015: Glee (TV Series) — Artie Abrams
- 2014: Boychoir (Film) — Wooly
- 2015: They Might Be Kennedys (Film) — Teddy Mulligan/Kennedy Ted
This actor provides examples of:
- The Cameo: NLT had a guest appearance in the infamously bad Bratz: The Movie, and after the band split, Kevin (alongside fellow Glee cast member Darren Criss) appeared in Katy Perry's Last Friday Night, as a character that manages to be even more of a Hollywood Nerd than Artie.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Grant Gustin and Tyler Oakley.
- Irony: The best male dancer of the Glee cast, second only to Harry Shum Jr... And his character is in a wheelchair.
- Old Shame: Although he still seems to be friends with his former bandmates (mostly JJ), he is not short of sarcastic and humorous digs against his time in NLT.
- One of Us: He is a huge fan of Game of Thrones.
- Platonic Life Partners: Kevin seems to be friendly with everyone in the Glee cast but he is especially touchy-feely with Lea, Jenna and Naya, the last of which is, in part, responsible for giving him the nickname "Bee".
- Plucky Comic Relief: He seems to be this all around, especially in the interviews.
- Rummage Sale Reject: His fashion sense is, at times, questionable.
- What Beautiful Eyes: See for yourself.