Edward Walter Furlong (born August 2, 1977) is an American actor whose best known film roles include John Connor in Terminator 2
and Daniel Vinyard in American History X
. He is a two-time Saturn Award nominee, winning the 1992 Best Performance by a Younger Actor award for his performance in Terminator 2
. He also won the 1992 MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance for his work in the film.
He got his big break with Terminator 2: Judgment Day
when an agent approached him in a Boys Club, despite him not having any interest in acting beforehand. He was considered a hot commodity for a while, and has starred in a lot of films since then - around 40 since 1991 - although a lot of them are lesser known. He also had a brief (but popular) music career in Japan
in 1992 and modeled for Calvin Klein and the Gap. As a youth, he was known for playing a lot of troubled, "street kid"-like characters, but more recently has been starring in a lot more weird and quirky roles.
Has starred in:
And a crapload of others.
Tropes associated with Edward Furlong:
- Anti-Hero: He has played this kind of role a lot, especially in The Crow Wicked Prayer.
- Dawson Casting: He's always at least a few years older than his characters, although this is mainly because he's Older Than He Looks.
- Disappeared Dad: His father walked out on him early in his life.
- Fake Nationality: He plays a white skinhead in American History X, but is actually also half Mexican and part Native American.
- Former Child Star: Despite several solid performances in his later films such as American History X and Animal Factory, he is most widely known as young John Connor in Terminator.
- Former Teen Rebel: He was known for his drug problems in his teens and 20s, but is allegedly clean now.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: As a result of Terminator, he has quite a following in Japan, and has starred in a number of Japanese commercials, and has even released an album there.
- Mouthy Kid: He used to play this kind of role in a lot of his earlier movies.
- Star-Making Role: John Connor in Terminator 2.
- Older than They Look: He was 14 years old playing a 10 year old in Terminator, and 21 playing a 16 year old in American History X. Even in his 30's he still has quite a youthful demeanor and high-pitched voice.
- Parental Abandonment: At the time he was being cast for his first movie, Terminator, he wasn't even living with his parents, and for years was being moved around to different relative's houses. A nasty custody battle ultimately ended in him becoming emancipated at age 16.
- Playing Against Type: His role in Pecker, a comedy, when he was known for playing more troubled characters.
- Teen Idol
- Teacher/Student Romance: During the filming of Terminator 2, he dated the woman serving as his tutor while he was out of school.
- Unkempt Beauty