For now, Dick Clark... so long.
is the most important man on the planet. Without his intervention each New Year's Rockin' Eve, the calendar would be unable to turn from December 31 to January 1, and time would become stuck at midnight."
- The Dick Clark page at TeeVeePedia
Dick Clark (November 30, 1929 — April 18, 2012) was an American TV and radio personality who was affectionately known as "America's Oldest Teenager"
Programs hosted by Dick Clark:
Programs created and/or produced by Dick Clark:
Tropes invoked by Dick Clark
- Big Brother Mentor: During his final years, he shared a beautiful bond with Ryan Seacrest, who admired him beyond words.
- Cool Old Guy: Easily one of the coolest old guys of all time.
- Game Show Host: See above.
- Good with Numbers: Averted. This was something of a running gag on Pyramid, where Dick's troubles with math were often on public display.
- Long Runner: He spent six decades in the field of entertainment.
- He hosted and produced New Year's Rocking Eve from 1974 through 2012, missing just one appearance. Which was due to having a stroke in 2004 and then having to spend the following year learning how to walk and talk again.
- Older than They Look: Part of the reason he was known as America's oldest teenager, until his stroke in 2004.
- The Cameo: Dick appeared as himself in several shows, including:
- Self-Parody: Dick would occasionally play along with humor that was related to how young he looked, despite his age.
- Signing Off Catch Phrase: "For now, Dick Clark... [salutes] ...so long."
- Sophisticated as Hell