The first Bat Family Crossover
for Green Lantern
after the New 52
, this story is a continuation of the plots already laid out by Geoff Johns
. Unable to learn from their mistakes surrounding the Manhunters or their perceived mistakes with the Green Lantern Corps
, the Guardians of the Universe
decide that, rather than their own censorship policies and internal errors, the problems with the universe are due to The Evils of Free Will
. After forcing Emotion Suppression
, they decide to make their own, viral army that they name their Third Army
, after the Manhunters and the Corps, to spread order throughout the galaxy at the expense of free will
The outcome of this event leads directly into Wrath Of The First Lantern
, the concluding arc of Geoff Johns
' run on Green Lantern
.Needs More Love
- All Your Powers Combined: New Guardians focuses on Kyle Rayner learning to control the seven colors of the emotional spectrum. In New Guardians #16, he masters them all and becomes a White Lantern.
- And I Must Scream: The climax has the Guardians call the Green Lantern Corps to come to Oa for "innoculation" against the Third Army. They freeze them in place to make them easy prey for the Third Army, but the Lanterns can still hear and move their eyes.
- Assimilation Plot: Given that the Third Army's modus operandi is to assimilate organic entities into beings like themselves, this was a given.
- Big Bad: The Guardians of the Universe.
- Eyes Are Unbreakable: When the Third Army assimilates someone, the only thing left unchanged is their eyes.
- Face-Heel Turn: After a long time being just extremely unhelpful or detrimental for ostensibly noble causes, the majority of the Guardians have finally crossed this line.
- Go for the Eye: In Red Lanterns, Atrocitus finds that the best way to fight the Third Army is to go for the eyes.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: The Guardians release Volthoom from captivity in order to use his powers to make the Third Army. This leads into an even worse conflict against the aformentioned First Lantern.
- No Mouth: People lose their mouths when assimilated by the Third Army so they won't talk back to the Guardians.
- No Sell: Due to being made from Oan flesh, Green Lantern Ring capabilities, at least from that specific type of Lantern, are completely ineffective against the Third Army. White rings are much more useful.
- Prologue: Of a sort to Wrath Of The First Lantern.