Joe Bar Team is a French comic book concerning the lives and times of a group of Parisians bikers who hang out at the eponymous Joe Bar.The first album introduced a first generation of bikers in The '70s, the second album introduced a new generation hanging out at the bar with the older ones in The '90s. The following albums are about the antics of both generations as they interact, and as motorcycle technologies evolve.
Joe Bar Team provides examples of the following tropes:
- All Bikers Are Hells Angels: Subverted; the Joes are pretty average joes, who happen to enjoy riding motorbikes. Very fast. Some actual Hell's Angels show up when a Joe insults Harley Davidsons.
- Badass Biker: Subverted, again, due to the Joes' complete averageness. Any fight will usually end with at least one Joe in bandages.
- The Bartender: Joe, owner and proprietor of Joe Bar.
- Dream Sequence: Many.
- Explosive Overclocking: By way of Tim Taylor Technology. Nitroglycerinemethanol gives immense power to any engine, but is extremely unstable and has been known to scatter pistons across the countryside.
- Friendly Rivalry
- Grease Monkey: All the Joes are shown to do their own repairs to some extent, but Jean-Raoul acts as the team mechanic, as well as owning and running a repair shop.
- Hate Dumb: In-universe: Many rants concerning the crappy quality of Harley-Davidson bikes, as well as the abundance of crap HD merchandise.
- Identical Grandson: Edouard's nephew.
- Local Hangout: Again, the Joe Bar.
- Police Are Useless: The police are recurring antagonists, wanting to get their hands on the Joes for a large number of motor vehicle code violations, mostly excessive speed. Occasionally, they succeed.
- Punny Name: Everyone except Joe. A "jobard" is, basically, an idiot. Guess what "Joe Bar" sounds like in French.
- Readings Blew Up the Scale: Poor, poor police scanners...
- One particularly hilarious instance had one of the team insist that the reading was wrong: he was going much faster than what the scanner said.