Characters: Urusei Yatsura
Characters of Urusei Yatsura!
open/close all folders
Ataru MoroboshiMiss! What's your address and phone number?
Voiced by: Toshio Furukawa (JP), Steve Rassin (EN, Movies 1, 3-6), Michael Sinterniklaas (EN), Vinnie Penna (EN, Movie 2)The main protagonist of the series. A lazy student at Tomobiki High School, Class 2-4, Ataru suffers from an incredible amount of bad luck, having been born on Friday the Thirteenth, during a major earthquake, and Butsumetsu, the unluckiest day of the Buddhist calendar. Thanks to this lack of good fortune, his triumph in the game of tag that saved Earth from Oni invasion turned into a defeat for him. His victory statement, intended to confirm his then-girlfriend Shinobu's promise to marry him if he won, was misinterpreted by Lum to be a marriage proposal. Much to his chagrin, she accepted.
- Accidental Marriage: With Lum.
- Accidental Proposal: He ended up engaged to Lum because after he defeated her in the game of tag she misinterpreted his statement "Now I can get married (to Shinobu)!" to be a marriage proposal for her.
- Affectionate Nickname: Lum calls him "Darling".
- Amicable Exes: With Shinobu, to an extent.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Ataru is a master of this, usually against Mendou.
- Beady-Eyed Loser: The unluckiest and most perverted man in the universe. And also the most beady-eyed.
- Book and Switch: He is shown hiding a girly mag inside one of his books.
- Born Unlucky: His birthday is even April 13th, and the litany of bad luck omens associated with him appeared before he was even born. Not to mention his Meaningful Name (roughly translated, "hit on the head with a falling star").
- ButtMonkey/Chew Toy:
- Iron Buttmonkey: It's even lampshaded in one book, where he gets a broken arm, and everyone can't believe it.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Ataru can't admit he really loves Lum because if he did, he'd have to give up his dreams of a harem.
- Though in the fifth movie when Lum threatens to erase the memory of her from everyone on earth, he won't say it because if he said it now it would be a Cassandra Truth.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Lum is the only female in the universe he doesn't harass. Ironically, she is also the only female who'd be happy to get his attentions.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: This defines perfectly how he feels about Lum.
- Casanova Wannabe: He is always ready to ask a random girl off the street for her address and phone number. This despite having an alien beauty (who has electric powers and is deathly jealous, to boot - just do the math) for a fiancée. His main trait, though, is Cosmic Plaything considering how much he pays for this.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Shinobu during early chapters.
- Class Representative: Gets elected to the place as a Dork Horse Candidate. He's so ineffective that later everyone had forgot it.
- Commitment Issues
- Cosmic Plaything: He was born on the second unluckiest day in the Japanese calendar: The thirteenth of April, the fourth month of the year, as well as the day remembering the death of Bhudda. His name means "hit by a shooting star", which would take phenomenally bad luck.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He won't admit it, but he doesn't like seeing Lum with other guys.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Cursed with Awesome: He hates his Accidental Marriage to a beautiful alien princess who genuinely does love him and sees his better qualities...
- Determinator: Ataru Moroboshi is a rather luckless, perverted version of this trope. Heaven help anyone between him and a beautiful girl, or the girl herself if she tries to use him to get at Lum and then underestimate how far he'll go for a kiss or grope. Nothing will stop him—common sense, decency, the law, fate, the gods, beatings, near-electrocutions, explosions, military-grade weaponry, armies, you name it. Even evil spirits are scared of him. He demonstrates a tenacity that makes his "friends" wonder if he's even human.
- Dork Horse Candidate: In Mendo's introductory episode/chapter, he runs for class president on the platform of draconian punishments for misbehavior. Except not for the girls(This is all it takes to win the vote of every girl in class). Ataru is pressed into running against him by the boys, leading to a tied vote. To resolve that, they duel and Ataru wins, making Mendo the vice president.
- Frying Pan of Doom: His weapon of choice against Jariten.
- Harem Seeker: His stated goal in life.
- Ultimately Subverted, as he'll gladly give it up if Lum isn't in it. He proved this twice, first in the second movie, when he agreed to let Mujaki keep Lum dreaming with everyone sealed in it in exchange of being sealed in a dream of having an harem only to declare it worthless when he noticed Lum wasn't in it, and destroying Mujaki's machination when he refused to put Lum in it (to not soil her purity) and then tried to seal him in multiple dreams where he wasn't with Lum, and then for good in a manga arc, where he managed to create a future where he had an harem, only to personally destroy it when he saw Lum had left him in it.
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Idiot Hero
- Interspecies Romance: With Lum.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ataru is lecherous, lazy, selfish, and stubborn, but he has deeply buried noble qualities that most people, including himself, can't see.
- Kavorka Man: He's considered by most girls the most unattractive boy in Tomibiki, lercherous, obnoxious, selfish, and a Jerkass to boot, but Lum is a beautiful and attractive alien princess who loves and would do anything for him and he had one of the above average girls in Shinobu as his girlfriend. Not to mention in the first movie another beautiful Alien princess is in love with him.
- There's also a ghost girl (Nozomi) and a girl cursed by a rain god who seem to genuinely fall for Ataru during the series. Neither stick around long enough to find out what a sleazy lecher he is though as they both get Put on a Bus.
- Loser Protagonist: Mainly, because of his lechery and other human faults. He was born on the most unlucky day of the year in Japan. His own parents often have no shame in saying how much they wish he wasn't born. He's unpopular with most of the boys and almost all the girls at his high school. Even when the beautiful female alien, Lum, comes into his life, he's still unlucky because of all the baggage she brings with her.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: In the 10th anniversary movie Always My Darling, Princess Lupika's computer pinpoints him as the most lecherous man in the universe.
- Love You and Everybody: Of course he loves Lum... and Shinobu, and Sakura, and Ran, and Ryunnosuke, and Benten, and Oyuki, and Ryoko...
- Meaningful Name: Ataru means "to get hit" and Moroboshi means "falling star". A metaphor for his cosmically miserable luck.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: The roguish to Mendou's noble. However, it's subverted to an extent since deep down Mendou is just as roguish as Ataru.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: He rejects Lum because of her aggressive pursuit of him and Clingy Jealous Girl personality.
- Obsessed with Food: When he's not chasing girls, his sole other interest is in food.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Mendou's blue.
- Significant Birth Date: He was born on April 13th, the second-unluckiest day of the year in the Japanese calendar, and in the year he was born was also the anniversary of the Buddha's death.
- Unlucky Everydude: He falls behind in the "Everydude" part, though, seeing as how he's a Determinator and Loveable Sex Maniac of such intense perversion he's outright stated to be the most concentrated source of lust in the known universe. He comes off as average because everyone else he hangs out with is even more bizarre...
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: As a bit of the rest of the cast.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Mendou.
- Weirdness Magnet: The name of the series itself can be translated as "Those Annoying Aliens", suggesting that the galaxy and series' version of Earth is teeming with sentient species who are all irritating in their own ways. Ataru is therefore simply unlucky enough to catch the attention of all of them.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Lum.
Lum InvaderDarling no BAKA!!
Voiced by: Fumi Hirano (JP), Shannon Settlemyre (EN, Movies 1,3-6), Martha Ellen Senseney (EN), Roxanne Beck (EN, Movie 2), Larissa Murray ("Lum the Invader Girl" dub)The female protagonist of the series. She is a beautiful Oni alien who is capable of flying and generating electrical shocks and even lightning. She falls in love with Ataru after his "marriage proposal". While generally good-natured, sweet, faithful, and innocent, Lum is very jealous and has a very hot temper.
- Arranged Marriage: With Rupa.
- Bare Your Midriff: Obviously whose Iconic Outfit is a tiger-print bikini.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Shinobu's Betty during early chapters.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's quite sweet-natured, but that doesn't stop her from (non-fatally) electricuting Ataru whenever he does anything perverted - which is nearly all the time.
- Birds of a Feather: It's subtly hinted that part of the reason why Lum is attracted to Ataru (the other part being that she can recognize his deeply buried noble qualities) is because they're much the same; Lum is also sneaky, mischievous, bad-tempered and uninhibited.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: She once got famously smashed from eating umeboshi (pickled plums on sake).
- Characterization Marches On: Early chapters of the manga portrayed her as a clear-cut antagonist, if not an outright villain. Needless to say, her characterization wildly changed before the manga was even a single year old, making her the short-tempered, yet more likable character we are familiar with. This very likely has something to do with the fact that Lum wasn't originally meant to be the main heroine, but an obstacle for Ataru's relationship with Shinobu, but Lum's popularity forced Rumiko to change the Official Couple.
- Childhood Friends: With Benten, Oyuki, and Ran.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She is very possessive of Ataru and usually zaps him with lightning as a punishment for his "infidelity".
- Closet Sublet: The Trope Codifier. She lives in Ataru's closet (possibly a pun on the Japanese slang for Pretty Freeloader).
- Cool Big Sis: To Jariten.
- Crazy-Prepared: Lum nearly always carries around some kind of weird alien device is useful to the situation at hand (and usually it makes the trouble one hundred times worse).
- Cute Little Fangs
- Cute Monster Girl: Lum looks like a cute teenaged girl with green hair and little horns, but is explained as being an alien whose race is the inspiration for Japanese ogres. Her being such is actually lifted straight from Japanese mythology, where Oni women are supernaturally beautiful, but capable of assuming fearsome visages when angry or jealous.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Lum uses her electricity to shock Ataru five times a day.
- Dude Magnet: Many of the male characters love her and therefore are jealous of Ataru.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: She is an alien princess.
- Fur Bikini: Her tiger-stripped bikini.
- Genki Girl
- The Glomp: To Ataru.
- Hair Decorations: Early on, Ataru forces Cherry to give him a set of yellow ribbons that, if tied around Lum's horns, make her lose her powers.
- In an early Manga episode, Lum decides to try visiting Ataru's class looking like a normal human girl. Part of her disguise was to use a liquid that softened her horns so they could be flattened to look like ornaments.
- Horned Humanoid: Being an Oni, she has two small horn.
- Human Alien: Lum and her family look almost exactly like humans, only with two small horns and green hair.
- Instant Fanclub: Lum's Stormtroopers.
- Interspecies Romance: With Ataru.
- Japanese Pronouns: She uses "uchi" to refer herself instead of "watashi" or "atashi".
- Kaleidoscope Hair: In the manga.
- Kiss-Kiss-Slap: She's very affectionate to her 'Darling', but doesn't hesitate to zap him with lightning whenever he hits on another girl, which happens a lot.
- Lethal Chef: There's nothing technically wrong with her cooking, it's just that she tends to overuse the spices to make it taste like the food on her home planet (and by alien standards, she's actually a Supreme Chef). She comments that earth made food is completely flavorless and enjoys drinking Tabasco sauce straight out of the bottle.
- Love Martyr: Ataru's lercherous, obnoxious, selfish, and a Jerkass to boot, but Lum still loves him and would do anything for him despite how he's often rude to her and would have no problem groping/flirting with other women, even in front of her.
- Love Revelation Epiphany: She fell in love with Ataru after she misunderstood something he said as a marriage proposal.
- Magical Girlfriend: A famous parody.
- Monster Roommate: To Ataru.
- Ms. Fanservice: Are there any Fanservice tropes not related to Lum?
- No Accounting for Taste: No one can figure out why such a beautiful girl like Lum is in love with a lecherous loser like Ataru.
- Not So Different: To Ataru.
- Pretty Freeloader: She stays for free at Ataru's house.
- Self-Proclaimed Love Interest: She has considered Ataru her husband ever since she thought he proposed to her.
- Shock and Awe: Lum (and her mom) can generate electricity, both shocking whoever they touch and launching lightning bolts from their fingers. Lum routinely uses this to punish Ataru Moroboshi for angering her, but she can't entirely control it, resulting in the obvious implication that Ataru's hesitance to get near her is partially due to her tendency to shock him accidentally when she hugs him or tries to sleep in his bed.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To her mother.
- Town Girls: The Neither to Oyuki's Femme and Benten's Butch.
- Tsundere: Type B. She is very sweet and affective, but Ataru chasing other girls brings out her tsun side.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: The huge, monstrous king of the alien Oni looks nothing like his green-haired bombshell of a daughter, Lum, who definitely takes after her mother.
- Unwanted Spouse: To Ataru.
- Verbal Tic: "-daccha."
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: She occasionally pulls some Oni-tech gizmo from her bikini top.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: The Trope Codifier. While Lum actually doesn't really mind about Ataru being a pervert, she wants him to only pay attention to her.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Ataru.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Shuutarou Mendou"Waaaah! It's dark! It's cramped! I'm scared!!!"
Voiced by: Akira Kamiya (JP), Robert Rogan (EN, Movie 1,3-6), Vinnie Penna (EN, Movie 2), Brian Hudson (EN, TV)Heir to the Mendou Conglomerate with staggering wealth and its own private army. He commutes to school in a gigantic helicopter that is more like a flying mansion. A descendant of a samurai family, Shutaro often carries a katana with him, which at any moment could be flying at Ataru's face, who has become adept at blocking it with his bare hands. Although very handsome and intelligent, he is truly just as foolish and lecherous as Ataru, just much more sophisticated in his approach.
- Arranged Marriage: With Asuka.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: After seeing how she really looks like under her armor, Mendou becomes very motivated to marry Asuka. Asuka, on the other hand, comes to accept him after she finds out he's a "big brother" like Tobimaro.
- Bishōnen: The greatest difference from Ataru.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: He apparently developed it while trying to escape from all the bells Ataru closed him into.
- Chick Magnet
- Claustrophobia: Except anytime a hot girl's looking at him - his ego is stronger than his fear.
- Custom Uniform: He wears a different uniform just to show off how rich he is.
- Handsome Lech: Mendou is the same as Ataru, except he's rich, handsome and suave.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Anytime he finds himself second best at something he feels he should be best at, he tends to collapse - The time Rei turned up and was better looking then him (Mendo's response after coming out of shock "Money is more important than looks!!"), and all the times Ryuunosuke winds up getting a bigger pile of fan mail then him.
- Instant Fanclub: His army of fangirls.
- Jerkass Has a Point: The most malicious thing he ever does in-series, taking advantage of Lum's amnesia and claiming she is his fiance (thus taking advantage of a woman to a degree that not even Ataru would ever do), he does out of disgust towards Ataru's apathy concerning Lum's disappearance. Even then, it takes Lum's Stormtroopers to convince Ataru to get his head in the game.
- Katanas Are Just Better
- Ladykiller in Love: Maybe for Asuka. His relationship with Lum also has this vibe.
- Last Name Basis: Everyone calls him Mendou.
- Lord Error-Prone: He's incredibly wealthy, carries a sword everywhere he goes, and generally acts the cool sophisticate, an act for which the local girls fawn over him in adoration. Scratch the gloss, however, and he's really no better than Loveable Sex Maniac Ataru Moroboshi himself. In fact, he's debateably worse, given that he's utterly afraid of the dark, claustrophobic, and a Dirty Coward, while Ataru is capable of insane acts of bravery and determination.
- Meaningful Name: Mendou means "trouble".
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: He acts as the noble to Ataru's roguish. However, deep down Mendou is just as roguish as Ataru.
- Not So Different: Take away his power and sophisticated manners, Mendo is the same as Ataru.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Ataru's red.
- Royal Brat: Mendo is first introduced to the series proper by hitching a ride to school... in a massive heavy bomber jetplane, out of which he skydives while several jets/helicopters fly in escort.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!
- Sheltered Aristocrat: He's the pompous and mean-spirited buffoon kind .
- Spoiled Brat: Mendo might border on being a Royal Brat, due to the fact his family is insanely wealthy (among other things, they have their own private army and own a considerable chunk of Japan).
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ataru.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Due to a time-travel incident intended to actually fix his fears, he has horrible nictophobia and claustrophobia.
Shinobu MiyakeMEN BE DAMNED!!!
Voiced by: Saeko Shimazu (JP), Danielle Sullivan (EN, Movie 1,3-6), Katherine Burten (EN)Ataru's childhood friend and classmate. Until Lum showed up she was also Ataru’s girlfriend. She claimed that if Ataru won the tag game, she would marry him, which while encouraging enough Ataru to win, became his victory cry that led to Lum deciding to marry him. She is a neat, sweet, petite young lady. Despite these feminine characteristics, Shinobu often displays super-human strength, with her being one of the strongest characters in the story, able to easily throw the desks of the classroom and almost any other large/heavy object/structure at hand as needed.
- Amicable Exes: With Ataru, to an extent.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Lum's Veronica during early chapters.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is very nice and sweet, but has a very bad temper.
- Charles Atlas Superpower
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Ataru during early chapters.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Towards Ataru at first, later towards Mendou.
- Cute Bruiser: Her super-strength evolved from sight gag to full-fledged super-power.
- Engagement Challenge: She used this to encourage Ataru during the game of tag, but it lead to Ataru's Accidental Marriage with Lum.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She has a tendency to get angry and over-react to the littlest things.
- Meaningful Name: Shinobu means "to endure" and she truly has endured a lot.
- Megaton Punch: A specialty of hers, particularly towards Ataru and Soban.
- Official Couple: With Inaba at the end.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Inaba, who is probably the only truly nice character in the series.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: After having such a terrible luck with men throughout the series, she found a really Nice Guy to be her boyfriend.
- Tsundere: Type B (deredere).
- Waif-Fu: Juggles desks easily.
- What Could Have Been: Shinobu was supposed to be the female lead, but Lum's popularity forced Rumiko Takahashi to change the Official Couple.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Considers herself to be a responsible and lady-like japanese girl; only problem is her temper.
Tomobiki High School
Voiced by: Tomomichi Nishimura (JP), Jeremy Griffin (Movie 4), Draidyl Roberts (Movie 2)The principal of Tomobiki High School. A soft-spoken, balding, nearsighted middle-aged man, he treats all of the weird goings-on at the school as harmless student shenanigans.
Voiced by: Michihiro Ikemizu (JP), Bradley Evans (EN, Movies 3-6), Sean Barret (EN, BBC dub), T. Roy Barnes (EN, Movie 2).The English teacher of the Class 2-4, "Classroom of Failure". Originally contracted by the Principal of Tomobiki via the "Trump-Card Teachers" Organization. A sad, middle-aged man, whose only interest is to teach at Tomobiki High, but he fails due to the constant interruptions during class, when the classroom itself is not destroyed by Lum, Ten or Shinobu.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Chew Toy
- Hot for Student: He shows interest in the girls in his class.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Sakura and Lum.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His real name is never revealed, with everyone (including the principal) calling him Onsen-Mark after his clothes, decorated with an hot spring mark.
Voiced by: Mayumi Tanaka (JP), Morgan Jarrett (EN)A classmate of Ataru. She is a girl, but her eccentric father has raised her as a boy. Her greatest desire is to behave appropriately for her gender.
- Action Girl
- Arranged Marriage: With Nagisa.
- Bifauxnen: So much that even girls who are aware of her gender swoon.
- Bokukko: "Ore wa onna da zo!" ("I'm a woman!") Lampshaded and made more ridiculous by the resident Ataru and Mendo trying to teach her to talk like a girl and showing themselves really proficient at it.
- Boyish Short Hair
- Calling the Old Man Out: Several times a day.
- Catch Phrase: "I'm a chick, dammit!!!"
- Custom Uniform: Ryuunousuke wears the standard boy's outfit... at her father's insistence (the latter being In Denial about not having a proper son).
- Even the Girls Want Her: Yes, the female population of the school is aware that she's female and forced into Bifauxnen status by her father. They don't care — she's still hot. Subverted with Kagura and Ran that mistake her for a boy.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Masculine Girl to Nagisa's Feminine Boy.
- Raised as the Opposite Gender: Ryuunosuke's dad wanted a boy to carry on his family sea-side shop and decided to raise his only daughter as one. Ryuunosuke knows she's really a girl and wants to be more girly, but fails due to her father's meddling.
- Sarashi: Wears one not only to demonstrate her tough, combative nature but also as a substitute for the bra her father wouldn't let her wear.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: In an episode where she wears the same dress as seen in My Fair Lady.
- Tomboyish Name: As a rule, -suke is masculine, it's almost like -son (Jacobson, etc) in English. This is due to the fact her father is one of the most extreme examples of 'wanted a boy' in fiction - he forces her to act, talk, dress and pretend to be a boy when she wants to be feminine but can't manage it because of her upbrining.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She really wants to be more feminine, but her father won't let her.
- Whole Costume Reference: The same dress in My Fair Lady, seen here◊.
- Wholesome Crossdresser
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: She reveres girls so much that she'd never hit a girl.
Voiced by: Kappei YamaguchiAtaru's classmate and best friend.
The Lum Stormtroopers: Megane, Perm, Chibi and Kakugari
Megane is voiced by: Shigeru Chiba (JP), Marc Garber (EN), Colin Hackman, Craig Wollman (EN, Movies)
Perm is voiced by: Akira Murayama (JP), Adrian Monte (EN), Jonathon Guggenheim
Chibi is voiced by: Issei Futamata (JP), Steven Paul (EN)
Kakugari is voiced by: Shinji Nomura (JP), Langley McArol (EN)Four schoolboys from the same class as Ataru who are in love with Lum and have sworn to protect her from Ataru.
- Ascended Extra: In the anime, especially Megane.
- Ax-Crazy: Megane in some episodes.
- Composite Character: In the anime, Perm and Megane take most of the roles Kousuke had in the manga. It helps that Perm actually looks similar to Kousuke.
- Hot-Blooded: Megane. In on one memorable scene from episode 64, he runs up the wall, breaks through the ceiling, and stands on the roof shouting into a megaphone.
- Only Known by Their Nicknames: The names they are known with refers to some physical characteristic of them, and means glasses (Megane), permanent (Perm?), tiny (Chibi) and crew cut (Kakugari). That said, Megane's, Chibi's and Kakugari's real names are actually known (Satoshi, Akira and Hiroyuki respectively), with only Perm's being unknown.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Megane.
- The Leader: Megane is the leader of the Lum Stormtroopers.
- Those Four Guys
Voiced by: Yuuko Mita (JP), Satu Rautaharju & Natasha Malinsky (EN, Movies).An alien girl of Gods of Luck clan and Lum's childhood friend.
- Action Girl
- Badass Biker
- Biker Babe: Is portrayed this way.
- Chainmail Bikini: Her regular outfit is an armor red bikini.
- Childhood Friends: With Lum and Oyuki.
- Fashionable Asymmetry
- Human Alien
- The Lad-ette
- Meaningful Name: She is named after Shichifukujin Benzaiten (one of the Seven Lucky Gods), the Shinto goddess of knowledge, art, and beauty.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Oyuki's blue.
- Small Girl, Big Gun
- Stripperific: See Chainmail Bikini.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Oyuki's girly girl.
- Town Girls: The Butch to Lum's Neither and Oyuki's Femme.
Voiced by: Noriko Ohara (JP), Jaime Phelps (EN, Movies)Lum's other childhood friend and the Queen of Neptune, which in the series is a frozen, snowy planet populated entirely by women, as most of the men have to go off-planet to find work.
- Absolute Cleavage: For the casual swimsuit type outfit she wears when not sporting a Kimono.
- Beware the Nice Ones: And how! Ran has very good reason to be completely traumatized by the first time she saw Oyuki get angry when they were kids.
- Childhood Friends: With Lum and Benten.
- Elemental Hair: Her hair even appears to be made of ice.
- Emotionless Girl
- The High Queen: The very placid and graceful Queen of Neptune.
- Human Alien
- An Ice Person: Occasionally freezing everything around her in a huge block of ice.
- Meaningful Name: Oyuki means "honourable snow".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Benten's red.
- The Stoic
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Benten's tomboy.
- Town Girls: The Femme to Lum's Neither and Benten's Butch.
- Tranquil Fury: On the rare occasions where Oyuki gets angry, she doesn't appear to be angry on the surface but be prepared for the ice, wind and snow rage caused by her ice powers.
- Winter Royal Lady: She quite literally.
- Woman in White: Her regular outfit is a white kimono.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Calm, feminine and graceful, wears a kimono, and is highly cunning and calculative.
Voiced by: You Inoue (JP), Kazue Komiya (JP, later OVA's), Morgan Jarrett (EN)Lum's "best" childhood friend. She appears to be a sweet and lovely redhead, but in actuality has a violent, evil side. Her special power is the ability to suck the vitality out of a person’s mouth while kissing them. She can also use this power in reverse. As a child, Ran was often hurt or got into trouble because of the antics of the more carefree and irresponsible Lum. Also, she is in love with Rei who unfortunately still loves Lum. This are the reasons why she hates Lum and wants to revenge against her.
- Becoming the Mask: She desperately tries to do this with her kawaiiko persona, with rather dubious success.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She appears to be a sweet and lovely redhead, but in actuality has a violent, evil side.
- Catch Phrase: "Ran-chan is sooo happy!"
- Chainmail Bikini: Sometimes.
- Childhood Friends: With Lum.
- Cute and Psycho: She is the poster child for (and likely the inspiration for all other) Cute and Psycho characters. On the outside, she's a cute redheaded girl who likes frilly clothing, baking, and flirting with Ataru. In reality, she's an embittered childhood rival of Lum who is out for some very violent revenge on the girl for well, a lot of things that aren't Lum's fault.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Lum.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Rei. However, he eventually begins to cling to her, mostly because Ran keeps feeding him.
- Human Alien
- Kiss of Death: Ran has the power to suck the youth from someone by kissing them. She usually tries to use the power on an unsuspecting Ataru, who just thinks she liked him. She can also reverse the process with another kiss.
- Meaningful Name: Ran has two meanings, both of which are suited to her warped personality. One meaning can be taken as "orchid", the other as "civil war".
- The Resenter: Towards Lum.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Her kawaiiko persona fits the sweet and romantic variety, but she's actually the Fiery Redhead variety.
- Small Girl, Big Gun
- Supreme Chef
- Third-Person Person: "Ran-chan is sooo happy!"
- Through His Stomach: How she hopes to win Rei's affections and it works.
- Unknown Rival
- Yandere: To Rei.
Voiced by: Tesshō Genda (JP), Jeremy Griffin (EN)Lum's ex-fiance. A very handsome oni, to the point of wooing almost any girl just by them seeing his face. While he is constantly interested in eating, he has a muscular yet slim build, which furthers his good looks. Rei has not yet learned to speak Japanese fully, so he can only speak 1-5 words at a time in Japanese. Lum broke up with him because of his low, simple intelligence and obsession with food. However he followed her to Earth to regain her love. He has the ability to transform into an "ushitora", a huge creature resembling a cross between a tiger and a bull.
- Big Eater
- Bishounen: Rei is a tall, stoic, green-haired space bishōnen who drives men to despair and women to squee.
- Brainless Beauty: He can woo any human woman, regardless of her age, with his beauty, but he's also dumb as a post.
- Chick Magnet: Rei breaks up loving couples just by walking past them, and causes squees whenever anything of the female gender sees him. His being dumb as a plank and loving only food does nothing to dissuade the girls.
- The Ditz
- Hopeless Suitor: To Lum.
- Human Alien: Unless he transforms.
- Meaningful Name: Rei means "zero".
- Through His Stomach: He reveres anyone who brings him food... or whatever can even be considered food.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
Voiced by: Rihoko Yoshida (JP), Daisy Talley (Dub for public TV and movie 1 dub), Stacey Jefferson (Dub for BBC 3)The "crow princess". A humanoid female from an alien race of crow tengu, she is destined to mate with the man that awakens her from her slumber with a kiss. Unfortunately for her, that person turns out to be Ataru. Although she has no real desire to sleep with him, for the sake of her race, (And initially because when Lum first dragged Ataru away from their initial meeting, Kurama responded "What is it about other peoples things that makes me want them"), she goes to great lengths in an attempt to turn the perverted letch into a man worthy of fathering her children while fighting off both Lum and Shinobu. She has the ability to create powerful gusts of wind with her multi-use giant leaf.
- Absolute Cleavage
- Blow You Away: She has the ability to create powerful gusts of wind with her multi-use giant leaf.
- Combat Hand Fan: Her weapon is a giant leaf that she uses as a hand fan.
- Human Alien
- I Can Change My Beloved: She tries to reform Ataru, but eventually gives up once she realizes that reforming Ataru is impossible.
Jariten (a.k.a Ten)
Voiced by: Kazuko Sugiyama (JP) Shannon Settlemyre (EN, Movies 1,3-6), Mindi L. Lyons (EN), Paula Parker (EN, Movie 2)Lum's infant cousin. He has a single horn on his head and can breathe fire.
- Bratty Half-Pint: He loves to act high and mighty, and puts on a façade of innocence ("I'm a good boy" is his Catch Phrase), but in reality he mixes a considerable amount of mischievousness with the same lecherous attitudes as Ataru and Mendo. He loves to stir up trouble to keep himself amused, playfully flirts with every girl he sees, and because he's considered an adorable infant, he can usually rely on women to protect him when he gets into more trouble than his ability to fly and breathe fire can handle. And even when they turn against him, Lum always supports him, to the extent she pays it no mind at all when, say, Ten shows up at Ataru's school and starts randomly biting people to soothe his toothache.
- Breath Weapon: His fire breath.
- Catch Phrase: "I'm a good boy!"
- Chew Toy: Like Ataru, misfortune seems to visit Ten with considerable frequency.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Whenever he's around girls—or, more noticeably, his mother—Ten tends to be much better in his behavior.
- Disappeared Dad: Ten's dad was never mentioned.
- Jerkass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he can be a brat, Ten also has a soft spot for animals.
- Kansai Regional Accent: He occasionally displays features of Kansai-ben.
- Kid-anova: Flirts with every girl he sees.
- Meaningful Name: Jari sort of means "brat". So calling him by his full name Jariten is the same thing as calling him "bratty Ten".
- Playing with Fire: More specifically, breathing jets of flame.
- Precocious Crush: On Sakura.
- Spoiled Brat
- Wise Beyond His Years: Or, at the very least, more intelligent than most toddlers tend to be.
Lum's parents (Mr and Mrs. Invader)
Lum's father is voiced by: Ritsuo Sawa (JP), David Krause (EN), Anthony Lawson (EN, Movies)
Lum's mother is voiced by: Reiko Yamada (JP), Kristen Foster (EN)Lum's father is a huge, pudgy oni, and tends to be loud and scary. However, he is just as afraid of his wife as Ataru is of Lum. Lum's mother is a pretty woman who can only speak in the oni language.
- Big Eater: Luma's father.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Lum's father.
- Fat Bastard: Lum's father. He ate his wife's meal after he finished his. Then when his wife kicks him out, He demands that she apologize. Thankfully, said wife is quick to put him in his place.
- Gonk: Lum's father.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Lum's dad towers over most of the cast, while her mother is much closer in height to them.
- I Was Quite The Looker: Lums's father used to be a decent looking fellow revealed in a flashback. He gained A LOT of weight because his wife stuffed him up with her cooking.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Lum's father is stout and rather brutish-looking. Her mother...considerably less so.
- Unnamed Parents
Voiced by: Keiko YokozawaA firefighter who takes great pride in her work. When Ten was living with her, she would tell him stories of her work in the field, expressing her contempt for arsonists and pyromaniacs, who she feels should be sent straight to Hell. She is very busy and would leave him with a robotic nanny, which has contributed to his precociousness. Since her son breathes fire and uses his power liberally, he lives in terror of what will happen should she ever find out. She loves Ten very much, despite the rareness of her being able to visit him.
- Catch Phrase: "FIRE!!"
- In Harm's Way: It's implied that she feels the most comfortable when fighting fires—the bigger, the better.
- Parents as People: While she usually left Ten int he care of a robotic nanny, she regrets not being able to spend more time with her son.
- Unnamed Parent
- Workaholic: She constantly carries around her firefighting equipment.
The Spice Girl Gang: Sugar, Ginger and Pepper
Voiced by: Tarako (Sugar), Chika Sakamoto (Ginger), Rumiko Ukai (Pepper)A trio of teenage girls who currently attend the same junior high school that Lum, Benten, and Oyuki did. Due to their seniors' reputation for causing mischief, the Gang of Three seeks to outdo their predecessors by defeating them in combat, but most of the time, they resort to simple pranks and underhanded schemes.
- Buttmonkeys: None of their schemes really work out, often with humiliating results. Being thoughtless jerks with a high opinion of themselves, they tend to have it coming.
- Cat Girl: Ginger.
- Chameleon Camouflage: Sugar's special ability allows her to blend in with her surroundings. While this would be useful for sneak attacks, Sugar's habit of announcing the technique as she's using it makes it easy to track her down.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Ginger, especially in the 2012 OVA.
- Edible Theme Naming: All three of them are named after spice-related condiments.
- Faking the Dead: Ginger is able to slow down her bodily functions to the point that an untrained observer will believe that she is dead.
- Goldfish Poop Gang: These three lack the sense, power, or competence to be any sort of real threat most of the time.
- Human Aliens
- Magic Pants: Pepper, who can shed her skin at will. This includes a replica of her clothing, leaving Pepper fully clothed.
- Odango: Sugar's hairstyle.
- Terrible Trio: The three of them are often seen together, causing trouble for Lum and her friends.
Voiced by: Yukiko NashiwaAn extremely strict parent. She always blamed Ran for many misdeeds that Lum committed as a young girl and constantly punished her with a severe spanking.
Voiced by: Yoshiko SakakibaraThe antagonist from the first movie, Only You. She is the lovely ruler of planet Elle. When Ataru was a child, he played a game of shadow tag with Elle and it is a custom on her planet that stepping on someone's shadow counts as a marriage proposal. Now she has came to claim her husband.
- Chainmail Bikini: Her outfit consists of a rose-red one-piece "swimsuit" beneath a regal white cape.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: She wants to marry Ataru even if by force because they played a game of shadow tag and on her planet stepping on someone's shadow is considered a marriage proposal. At the end it turns out Ataru never stepped in her shadow in the first place and therefore their engagement is null.
- The Collector: She collects all of the handsome men that have ever loved her and freezes them for storage inside a giant refrigerator, to "keep their love forever fresh."
- Dude Magnet: She's attracted a considerable number of suitors by the time she shows up.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: She met Ataru when they were both little kids, but Ataru forgot all about her until she shows up during the movie.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Downplayed example—she's a beloved ruler on her homeworld, but she's rather obstinante and determined to have her way no matter what.
- Universe's Most Beautiful Woman: 999 men prior to Ataru certainly thought so.
- Yandere: Towards Ataru—when he tries to call the wedding off, she will not take no for an answer.
Voiced by: Kaneto ShiozawaThe prince of a world of total darkness, giant mushrooms, and flying pigs. It was arranged by his great-grandfather that he would marry Lum.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: He kidnaps Lum and tries to force her to carry out their Arranged Marriage.
- Arranged Marriage: With Lum.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Carla. Near the end of the movie, Rupa admits that he doesn't really want to marry Lum and asks Carla to marry him.
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Disposable Fiancé
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Lum.
Voiced by: You InoueRupa's childhood friend. Ever since they've been children, Carla has loved Rupa. When one day Rupa showed Carla a picture of Lum, his bride-to-be, Carla changed from a childhood friend to a violent assailant.
- Chainmail Bikini
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Rupa.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Ever since Rupa told her about his engagement to Lum, she has constantly attacked him for choosing Lum over her.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: She has spent most of her life attacking Rupa with weapons like her gun.
- Odango Hair
- Purple Eyes
- Small Girl, Big Gun
- Stalker with a Crush
Ataru's father is voiced by: Kenichi Ogata (JP), Marc Matney (Dub for public TV), Alan Marsh (Dub for BBC3), Jerry Winsett (EN, Movies 1 and 3-6 dubs), Larry Robinson (Movie 2 dub)
Ataru's mother is voiced by: Natsumi Sakuma (JP), Dorothy Rankin (Dub for public TV), Stacey Jefferson (Dub for BBC3), Belinda Keller (EN, Movies 1 and 3-6 dubs), Jackie Tantillo (EN, Movie 2 dub)Ataru's father is a typical salaryman. Wearing a yukata around the house, he desires a nice and quiet homelife. In the anime his home is frequently destroyed, causing him to lament over the mortgage. Ataru's mother is a typical housewife, who is extremely ashamed of her son.
- Catch Phrase: Ataru's mother usually says "We never should have had him!"
- Housewife: Ataru's mother.
- No Accounting for Taste
- Parental Neglect: Mostly because of Ataru's mother; in the first manga story, Ataru's mother said "Ataru, you be sure to come home for the holidays!" and she always laments "I wish I never had him" throughout the manga and anime (sometimes in hearing range of Ataru). Atop that, there's the "omiai" scene in the movie Only You, where Ataru's parents force join with Lum's parents to force him to marry her officially...all so that Ataru's parents will get better lives for themselves on the Oni homeworld.
- Salaryman: Ataru's dad works long hours and worrying about the mortgage, especially since his house is routinely destroyed.
- Unnamed Parents
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Ataru's mother is constantly going "I wish I never had him." There's also a scene where both parents are away reminiscing about their life, and when they start talking about Ataru, both say that they had wanted a girl at the time.
- Your Cheating Heart: Ataru's mother has a crush on Rei, to her husband's despair.
Sakuranbou aka Cherry
Voiced by: Ichirō Nagai (JP), Eric Paisley (EN)A wandering monk. Cherry has amazing spiritual powers (or so he claims) and he often predicts doom for Ataru.
- Big Eater
- Catch Phrase: "'Tis fate."
- Gonk: Played horribly straight for those who have to endure his close-ups.
- Meaningful Name: His name Sakuranbo is the Japanese word for "cherry," as he likes to be called. But in another sense it can also mean "deranged priest".
- Miniature Senior Citizens
Voiced by: Machiko Washio (JP), Karen McIntyre (EN)Cherry's niece. She was once a very sickly girl who suffered from a variety of ailments. Many of them were the result of spirits that infested her body. After meeting Ataru the first time, she tried to exorcise him, during which process, the demons who inhabited her transferred themselves to the unlucky young man, rendering her perfectly healthy. Soon afterward, she took a job as the Tomobiki High school nurse, where she again encountered Ataru and half accidentally exorcised the disease spirit still haunting him from that encounter. Like her uncle she loves eating and sometimes gets into a fight with him over it.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's very tall and beautiful, has long black hair and pale skin and possess a graceful and aloof attitude.
- Big Eater: She also has a figure that never changes no matter how much she eats - And she's actually the biggest eater in the cast.
- Cherry Blossom Girl: Her name is Sakura and is related to healing due to being a Miko and a nurse.
- Cool Big Sis
- Hello, Nurse!
- Hospital Hottie
- Ill Girl: At first.
- Meaningful Name: Sakura means "cherry blossoms".
- Ms. Fanservice
- Rapunzel Hair
- School Nurse
- Statuesque Stunner
Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue (JP), Sean P. O'Connell (dub for public TV), Eric Meyers (dub for BBC 3)Sakura's fiance. Tsubame is mellow and somewhat weak-willed in comparison to the strong and powerful Sakura. He is also a magician, trained in Western magic but with very little success.
- The Ditz
- Engagement Challenge: He is introduced trying to impress Cherry with his magic so he approves his engagement to Sakura.
- Inept Mage
- Meaningful Name: Tsubame is the Japanese word for "swallow" (bird). Ozuno means "from Oz".
Voiced by: Tomohiro NishimuraA giant ghost cat that goes to great lengths to sit under a kotatsu because it hates being cold. He originally was a kitten who was abandoned centuries ago and froze to death, so the spirit does little else but seek out warmth. He often can be seen as a companion for either Cherry or the Tomobiki High Principal, usually enjoying tea with them. He also occasionally acts as a companion to Ten which could be in part due to Ten's ability to breathe fire.
- Mega Neko
- Super Strength: He's the strongest character in the series, easily capable of overpowering Benten (another character with Super Strength) and defeating Kenshiro in five seconds flat.
Voiced by: Mami Koyama (JP), Michele Seidman (Dub produced for public TV and movie 3 dub), Toni Barry (Dub for BBC 3)Shuutarou's younger sister. Ryoko is a spoiled girl whose only amusement seems to be the creation and execution of elaborate plans intended to drive her older brother mad.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Catchphrase: She frequently states "I hold no grudges" as she is leaving a trail of grenades behind her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Ryoko is one girl you don't want to make jealous.
- Cute and Psycho
- Hime Cut
- Karma Houdini
- Lack of Empathy
- Manipulative Bitch
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Royal Brat
- Screwy Squirrel
- The Sociopath: She requires little to no provocation to mess with her brother or anyone else, all the while bemoaning how she had "done all she could" to help her dear older brother.
- Spoiled Brat
- Yandere: Her quite disturbing love for Tobimaro.
Shuutarou and Ryouko's parents
Mendou's father is voiced by: Mugihito (JP)
Mendou's mother is voiced by: Akiko Tsuboi (JP)The very proud and dignified heads of the Mendou conglomerate. The father is a bit of a flake and a jokester which he often hides behind an air of seriousness. The mother is old fashioned and refuses to use modern conveniences.
Voiced by: Bin Shimada (JP), Scott Whiteside (Dub for public TV and movie 4 dub), David Jarvis (Dub for BBC 3)The son of the second richest family in Japan and Mendou's rival. Although he and Mendou were childhood friends, they had a falling out concerning a long-standing baseball rivalry, even though neither is any good at baseball—Ton can't pitch and Mendou cannot swing, and so Ton returns to settle the score.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His eyes have star-shaped pupils.
- Extreme Omnivore: He can eat baseballs.
- He-Man Woman Hater: It's Ryoko's fault.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: All thanks to Ryoko.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Meaningful Name: Mizunokuji is a play on the real-life Mizuno sporting goods company which is known best for their baseball equipment.
- The Rival: To Mendou.
Voiced by: Sumi ShimamotoTobimaro's sister. The very beautiful and petite girl was isolated, according to the Mizonokuji family's tradition, from any and all males from the moment of her birth until the age of 16, at which time an omiai will be held for her to get married. As such, even her brother was unaware of her existence until then. Thanks to her daily training and the genetics she inherited from her mother, she is insanely strong. Nevertheless she is extremely timid and deathly afraid of males, in part because the first one she ever met was Ataru Moroboshi.
- Arranged Marriage: With Mendou.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: After seeing how she really looks like under her armor, Mendou becomes very motivated to marry Asuka. Asuka, on the other hand, comes to accept him after she finds out he's a "big brother" like Tobimaro.
- Beautiful All Along: Asuka doesn't look very attractive at first, because of the armor she wears. After Lum accidentally destroys the armor, we see how beautiful she actually is.
- Big Brother Attraction: Subversion: the extremely sheltered Asuka fears all men except her "big brother" ("a special kind of man who is just like you!"). She considers Mendou (her fiance due to a family agreement) her brother because she heard Ryoko refer to him as such once and Ryuunosuke, since she was wearing her sarashi that matched her actual brother Tobimaro's. Guess which "brother" has to endure rib-crushing hugs in his bed or bath? Hint: he's rather terrified of this and their mother blames it on him.
- Break the Cutie: Parodied. She would likely be the one to break anyone in half. Now, if only her nemesis wasn't Ataru...
- Catch Phrase: "EEEEK! A man!!"
- Charles Atlas Superpower
- Does Not Like Men: Kept isolated from men according to family tradition, she inherited her mother's super-strength, which is her way of getting rid of all those scary men (unfortunately for her, the first man she ever met was Ataru). Of course that's the lesser evil, as her brother Tobimaro can testify, as being classified as a "big brother" ("a special kind of man who's just like you") combined with the fact that Asuka developed a crush on him means rib-crushing, literally-back-breaking hugs.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her eyes have star-shaped pupils like her brother.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl
- Fragile Flower
- The Ingenue
- No Social Skills
- Sheltered Aristocrat: She was kept isolated from the outside world her entire life to avoid contact with any and all males, according to the Mizonokuji family's tradition. As a result, she's very naive and develops an extreme fear of men because of Ataru.
- Shrinking Violet
- 24-Hour Armor: Asuka likes to wear a tank-like armor because it makes her feel safe.
Tobimaro and Asuka's parents
Tobimaro's mother is voiced by: Yukiko Nashiwa
Tobimaro's father is voiced by: Issei FutamataHeads of the Mizunokuji sporting goods empire. The mother's problem lies with her children's warped relationship. She is even more powerful than Asuka. She can even do the "angry big-head" technique.
- Beware the Nice Ones: The mother.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: The mother.
- Demon Head: The mother's "Angry Big-Head" Technique.
- Exotic Eye Designs: The mother.
- Frozen Face: The mother.
- Henohenomoheji: The father.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife
- Unnamed Parents
Voiced by: Masahiro Anzai (JP), Langley McArol (EN)A very creepy individual. His family ran a small seaside teashop for generations, and he seeks an heir to continue the business after he dies. However, he believes that only a man can run it and his late wife Masako left him only a daughter, Ryuunosuke. Not one to let that get in his way, he proceeded to raise her as a boy and succeeded in making her a man among men, if only she were a man. Mr. Fujinami refused to let Ryuunosuke get a bra, forcing her to wrap her bosom for support, which he claims will reduce the prominence of the sizable "tumors" on her chest. He also is inspired almost entirely by the sea. If he gets too motivated, he shouts "I LOVE THE SEA!!", which is accompanied by a massive tidal wave regardless of his location.
- Abusive Dad
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parent
- Catch Phrase: "I LOVE THE SEA!!!"
- Unnamed Parent
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: He wanted Ryuunosuke to be a boy... so he deludes himself into thinking she is one.
Kitsune-koA young kitsune that develops a crush for Shinobu when he first meets her.
Voiced by: Kaneda KimotsukiA gang leader of Butsumetsu High School who has enormous lips. He is often seen chasing Shinobu.
Voiced by: Hirotaka Suzuoki (JP), Jonathan Soronen (Movie 5 dub), Edward Glen (Nub for BBC 3)An employee at the Fate Production Bureau which makes doorknobs to the Dream Realm. A bumbling yet kind-hearted young man who wears a rabbit costume which allows him to travel freely to and from subspace. He ends up falling in love with Shinobu after she finds him passed out and hungry in the street and gives him some food.
Voiced by: Tōru FuruyaA young man who grew up all alone in the Mendou Family Electric Jungle and was raised by his "Grandfather" (a TV). He has built up a resistance to electricity and therefore cannot be affected by Lum's shocks. Shingo falls in love with Lum and kidnaps her, but when she is rescued by Ataru and the others Shingo falls in love with Shinobu. He later becomes Mendou's personal ninja bodyguard.
Voiced by: Mitsuki YayoiA guy who was raised as a girl. He is introduced as a ghost because he and his father died as a result of overeating sea urchin-flavored kakigori. Long ago he was engaged to Ryuunosuke through their parents, and fell in love with her upon meeting her. Later Nagisa gets a new flesh-and-blood body and moves in with Ryuunosuke.
- Arranged Marriage: With Ryuunosuke.
- Back from the Dead
- Charles Atlas Superpower: To the point Ryuunosuke cannot compete with him.
- Cute Ghost Guy: At first.
- Foreshadowing: His true gender was anticipated by Ataru and Mendo not trying to grope or woo him, and is revealed after they both realized this.
- Gender-Blender Name
- House Husband: He definitely acts like one.
- Love at First Sight: Towards Ryuunosuke.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Feminine Boy to Ryuunosuke's Masculine Girl.
- Raised as the Opposite Gender
- Unsettling Gender Reveal
- Wholesome Crossdresser