open/close all folders
- First appearance: Ultraman, 1966
The Science Patrol
Captain Toshio "Cap" Muramatsu
- Missing Mom: It's revealed in episode 30 he lost his mom when he was young.
- Mr Fix It
- Plucky Comic Relief
- The Smart Guy
Akiko FujiBorn in June, the only woman of the science patrol usually stays on base as the communications officer.
Monsters and Aliens
BemularThe first monster Ultraman faced against, the devilish Bemular escaped from being escorted to the Monster Graveword. He fled to rest in a lake in Japan. The next day, Bemular avoided the attacks of the Science Patrol until decided to dish out his blue breath ray. He grabbed Hayata's sub with his mouth and walked out of the lake, the Science Patrol's missilies disloding the sub from his mouth. He shoots his energy ray at the sub, but Hayata transforms into Ultraman. The pair grapple and wrestle around the lake, Bemular barely has an upper hand on the hero. After being thrown into the lake, Bemular tries to escape in his comet form but Ultraman's Spectrum Ray puts an end to him.He isn't see again until Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie, where he is pursued and destroyed by Ultraman Mebius.
- Breath Weapon: Shoots a blue one and can bend it at will.
- Comet of Doom: Can transform into one to fly.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A spiky dinosaur criminal from space that can transform into a comet and shoot Godzilla-like energy rays.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Dinosaur IN SPACE!
- Spell My Name with an "S": Bemular or Bemlar?
- Spikes of Villainy: Has spikes running across his back.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Is capable of transforming into a comet that could fly through space.
- What Could Have Been: The name Bemular was one of the preceding concepts that eventually led to Ultraman. The hero was a bird monster but it was worried the audience would't be able to tell the difference between the good monsters and bad ones. So the monster design was later sold to Nikkatsu, which used it to create the Gappas.
Alien BaltanThe Baltan race are the first in a long line of Aliens that tried to take over the earth. The Baltans are also the first major recurring monster/alien of the series.
- Aliens Are Bastards
- Arm Cannon: The two big claws on its hands can used for this.
- Attack Reflector: In his second appearance, he has one of these.
- Evil Laugh: It's what The Baltan race is most known for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lcMOLJnPw
- Arch-Enemy: Considering that these guys have shown up more frequently than most Ultraman foes, especially with the following series, it's only obvious that these guys truly are the arch-foes of the Ultra series.
NerongaAccidentally awakened by young Hoshino, Neronga broke out of the ground and feeded on a nearby power plant. The Science Patrol attacked him when he was feeding on a transmission plant, but Neronga shocked one of their members and turned invisible, escaping. Neronga met the might of the military at his next target, and it was thought he was destroyed. But he returned and reigned damage upon the plant. Hoshino used a laser gun to blind Neronga in one eye. Ultraman made his appearance. Neronga was a bulldog, but he only somewhat holds on. When Neronga's horn is snapped off, it was all over. Ultraman tossed him into the air, and ended his life with the Spectrum Ray.Forty years alter, he reappears in the third episode of Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle. Fighting and killing Gudon, Neronga preys on ZAP SPACY for electricity, and Gomora was summoned. Neronga wasn't a match against Gomora until he used his invisibility power against him. But Gomora managed to outwit him, and send him packing. Sometime later, Neronga was revived along with Telesdon and Red King. He was the first to charge against ZAP SPACY, but was killed in the crossfire by Telesdon.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: He was just sleeping in the ground until he was disturbed one day.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Has Varan's roar.
- Prop Recycling: Baragon's suit remodified. For Ultra Galaxy, a Geronga suit was reused.
- Shock and Awe: Shoots lightning from its antennae and feeds on electricity.
- Visible Invisibility
Red KingIn his first appearance, Red King was one of the many monster that inhabited Tatara Island and had fought with many of the monster inhabitants and had terrorized a group of Scientists who were studying on the Island as well. After tearing off a Chandler's wings and having killed Pigmon, Red King was soon met with his comeuppance when Ultraman arrived to avenge Pigmon. About half way through the series, a second Red King appeared and had fought with Dorako and Gigass after being awakened by a passing comet. Red King kills Dorako and frightens Gigass away before setting his sights on the Science Patrol. Like before however, he is met with by Ultraman, who kills the second monster by chopping him into thirds.Red King has appeared in at least twelve different Ultra Series, making him one of the most popular monsters in the entire Ultra series.
- Adaptational Badass: Depending on which incarnation of him you refer him to.
- Arch-Enemy: Pigmon or Gomora, depending on the incarnation.
- Attack Its Weak Point: His feet are his weak spot.
- Badass Normal: Despite possessing no abilities, Red King is still strong enough to rip monsters to pieces, LITERALLY limb-from-limb
- Breakout Villain: After Red King returned in Ultraman Max, he has appeared in nearly every Ultraman-related series or product since then.
- Breath Weapon: In Ultraman Max, Red King can fire a barrage of explosive rocks from his mouth, but he can only use them for a limited amount of time
- Also in The Ultraman, he can spit Purple Fire.
- Butt Monkey: Despite being able to pick monsters apart with relative ease, Red King becomes Ultraman's bitch usually quite quickly.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Nearly every monster he's fought against (excluding Gomora) has lost to him in this way.
- Disney Villain Death: Only suffered this in Ultraman The Ultimate Hero.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: A running gag with fans and a lot of people say he looks like Corn on the Comb due to his skin.
- Dumb Muscle
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: If you can even call him one.
- For the Evulz: Most of Red King's appearances usually portray him as an evil monster, or more or less a bad monster.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Half of his roar is Godzilla's own roar (sped up). The other half is Gaira's roar from War Of The Gargantuas.
- Jerk Ass
- The Juggernaut: Is often portray as this when surrounded by other monsters since he does not have any special abilities.
- Kick the Dog: And HOW?!
- Killed Pigmon in their first episode
- Killed Dorako and beat the crap out of Gigass even after teaming up with him.
- Killed Salamadon and Paragler in Ultraman Max
- Kills a Sadora in the original Ultra Galaxy
- Nominal Hero: His "Heel-Face Turn" turn in Ultra Galaxy NEO as well as his role in Ultraman Ginga. This is ESPECIALLY justified in the latter series.
- Off with His Head!: His second death in the original series.
- Prop Recycling: His original costume was used to create Aboras below.
- Then his costume was reused and paint a dirty yellowish brown for his reappearance as Red King II. Although he did have a different head in order to make it look like he ate a dangerous bomb and had it lodged in his throat.
- Finally, his arms were used for the final monster, Zetton.
- Spring Jump: Possesses this ability in Max and Mebius, although there's a reason for this in the latter series...
- Took a Level in Badass: Grande's Red King that is...
- Villain Team-Up: Does this from time to time
- In the original series, he teamed up with Gigass to fight Dorako, only to turn on him once Dorako was killed.
- In Jonias, he was supposed a part of the a group of monsters who served a group of Aliens known as the Babalonians, but wound up going berserk instead.
- In a short DVD special of Ultraman Max, Red King teamed up with Zetton to fight Max.
- In the original Ultra Galaxy, he teamed up with Neronga and Telesdon when they were revived by Bullton to fight Rei and Gomora.
- In the Ultra Galaxy film, he was one of Ultraman Belial's monster army.
- Weapon of Choice: Rocks and Boulders.
- Worf Effect: Compare to Butt Monkey, although this seemed to get worse after Max.
- What Could Have Been: Back when Ultraman's original concept was to be known as "Redman", Red King was to be the king of the monsters of the show. Red King however kept his name for unknown reasons when the show turned to Ultraman.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Red King's fighting style literally looks like something out of WWE. Mind you he came in the late 1960s.
MagularMagular was an Underground Monster that resided on the same Island that Red King, Chandler, and Pigmon all resided on. After emerging underground, Magular was quickly frightened away by the more powerful Red King. Magular then encountered the Science Patrol and attacked them, pushing Hayata off a Cliff. Magular however was quickly dealt with and was killed after having a Napalm Bomb thrown at him.Forty years later, he reappears in the 1st episode of Ultra Galaxy NEO. A Magular was seen in battle against a Gomess that belonged to Alien Guts, but both monster were soon dealt with by Rei and his Gomora.
- Butt Monkey: In the original series, he was defeated by the Science Patrol with ease. In Ultra Galaxy NEO and got his ass kicked by Gomess until he was ultimately destroyed by Rei's Gomora.
- Dirty Coward: He won't pick a fight with anyone bigger than him, but he has no problem attacking humans or teaming up with an opponent.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Being one of the monsters reused from the Baragon suit, he also has Varan's roar, but it's higher pitched.
- Prop Recycling: One of Baragon's suit re-modified. For Ultra Galaxy NEO, the Neronga suit was reused.
- Tunnel King
- Villain Team-Up: Briefly teams up with Gomess to fight Gomora, which makes no sense seeing as Gomess was beating the crap out of him from the start.
Alien Zarab / Imitation Ultraman
GomoraGomora was a powerful and rare monster that was living in solitude in the Johnson Islands, being studied by Scientists. Believing that it would be a good idea to bring a living monster to be displayed at a World's Fair. The Science Patrol capture and tranquilize Gomora and prepare to have him air-lifted to said fair. Gomora however wakes up in mid-flight and goes on an unstoppable rampage from being attacked. Ultraman eventually shows up and tries to stop the monster, but is shocking unsuccessful after being bludgeoned by Gomora's tail over and over until Gomora escapes. Gomora continues his rampage, making his way through Osaka with nothing being able to stop him. Finally after having his tail blown off, being assaulted by Japan's own SDF, and facing Ultraman in a rematch, Gomora was finally put down.Gomora has appeared in at least eight different Ultra Series, and was even the star of 2 of his own TV series'. making him one of the most popular monsters in the entire Ultra series.
- Adaptational Badass: Started in the Ultra Galaxy Series.
- Acrofatic: ESPECIALLY seen in the Ultra Galaxy Series.
- Badass: See Badass Normal below.
- Badass Normal: In his original series, he was the first monster to defeat Ultraman AND was the ONLY monster with a 2-part episode, despite having nothing to show off but his brute strength and burrowing.
- Beam-O-War: In the Ultra Galaxy series:
- He fights in one with Telesdon.
- He fights in another one with Grande's Tyrant
- Breakout Monster: Has 2 of his own TV shows, One movie has his star for half of as the hero, and 2 specials that prequel the preceding movies.
- Breath Weapon: Heavily Subverted in his Ultra Galaxy incarnation since he fire an Oscillatory Ray NOT from his mouth, but from his horn.
- Determinator: So much so that he continues going on a rampage after having his tail and one of his head crest destroyed.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: 40 meter tall, unstoppable, burrowing, fires-lasers-from-his-horn dinosaur at that.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Good Is Not Nice: Well he IS a Monster...
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Half of his roar is Toho's version of King Kong's roar, only sped up.
- The Juggernaut: Is definitely this in his first appearance. Being able to defeat Ultraman with relative ease, having his tail severed off by the Science Patrol, getting the crap beat out of him by the SDF and Ultraman.
- Lightning Bruiser: Again, Ultra Galaxy.
- Made of Iron: As demonstrated when he is EX Gomora or in Reionic Burst Mode.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: As seen in Hanuman Vs 7 Ultraman.
- Nominal Hero: Pretty much his role in Ultra Galaxy, since Rei is his owner and is part of the ZAP SPACY crew. Sort of makes sense since he is just a monster.
- Non-Malicious Monster: Starts out as this. It's not until once the Science Patrol decide to drug him and show him off that he turns into an unstoppable monster.
- Rule of Cool: Being the Breakout Monster to get his own series grants him this.
- Spell My Name with an "S": In the english dub, he is called "Gohora".
- Super Mode: EX Gomora
- Tail Slap: Gomora likes to use his tail in combat A LOT. His tail is how he managed to subdue Ultraman in their first battle.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: In the Ultra Galaxy series, after being the crap out of his opponent, Gomora usually finishes them off by impaling them with his horn and then destroying their innards with his Oscillatory Ray, which completely obliterating them.
- Took a Level in Badass: As seen in the Ultra Galaxy series. Especially in comparison to his previous role beforehand.
- Tragic Monster: Is portrayed as this in Ultraman The Ultimate Hero, even though the story is practically the same as the original.
- Also as seen in Ultraman Max.
- Tunnel King: His primary weapon before his received his Oscillatory Ray was Burrowing.
- Unstoppable Rage: Does this really need to be stated after it already has multiple times?
- His general personality when he's in Reionic Burst Mode, which comes as no surprise since Rei is also in this mode as well.
GeronimonThe proclaimed Monster Chief. Geronimon had resurrected Telesdon, Dorako, and Pigmon as a warning to both Earth and Ultraman of his powers and his anger for the death of all his monsters, and thus had declared war on humanity in doing so. After his messengers were killed by the Science Patrol (minus Pigmon who was killed by Dorako). Geronimon appeared to take care of the situation himself. After battling against Ultraman with the use of his feathers, he too was killed by the Science Patrol.
- Beard of Evil
- Breath Weapon: He can fire a white mist that can levitate his opponents.
- The Dragon: Is this to Alien Baltan and Alien Mefilas in Ultraman Fighting Evolution Rebirth.
- Evil Sorcerer: In some ways.
- Feather Flechettes: Can fling these out from the tip of his tail, but they are limited in numbers.
- Glass Cannon: Despite all of the abilities he has (as well as the ones stated that he has), not only did Ultraman subdue him with ease (AFTER he took out Geronimon's Feather Flechettes) but he's also one of the few monsters in the series to be killed NOT by Ultraman, but by the Science Patrol.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: In the video games, that is.
- Meaningful Name: Geronimon is named after that Geronimo tribe of native americans. He is also said to be a Monster Chief
- Mind over Matter: Gains this ability in the video games.
- Necromancer: He is pretty much a kaiju version of Shang Tsung. He can revive monsters from the dead and have them do his bidding. It's also stated that he can revive up to 60 monsters!
- Tunnel King: Is this to a degree.