Characters: The Passage The Haven
open/close all folders
Olsen HandThe unofficial leader of the Haven, a mysterious Viral-free community. Olsen is genial and good-natured on the surface, but holds a great deal of secrets relating to the Haven's true nature. He's eventually revealed to be little more than a figurehead controlled by Jude.
- Authority in Name Only: He appears to be the leader at first, but Jude Cripp is the real leader of the Haven. And even he answers to a higher power.
- Butt Monkey: Olsen has led a tough, miserable life marked by tragedy and outside control. He winds up being a Death Seeker.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He had a wife and son who were killed by Babcock years ago.
- Death Seeker: Becomes this after Mira dies, just wandering off in the direction of Babcock.
- Despair Event Horizon: Olsen falls into depression after Mira's death, from which he never recovers.
- I Did What I Had to Do: His justification for allowing the Haven to continue, but as he points out, there isn't much he could have done.
- Rebel Leader: Within the Haven.
- Stepford Smiler: He's very cheerful and genial, but it's clear from the start it's a facade. When he tells Peter the truth about the Haven, Peter feels he's seeing the real Olsen for the first time.
- Wasteland Elder: Of the Haven.
Mira HandThe young daughter of Olsen Hand.
- Character Death: She's killed during the escape from the Haven.
- Fille Fatale: A sympathetic version. She wants to become pregnant so she won't be placed in the Ring to die.
- The Haven Leader's Daughter: She is Olsen's daughter.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Mira is very suddenly killed during the escape from the Haven.
Jude CrippA high-ranking member of the Haven and second to Olsen Hand. It quickly transpires that he's the real power in charge of the Haven and is Babcock's familar since he was a sweep at the Colorado facility. A sadistic tyrant, he enjoys his role of power at the Haven.
- The Ageless: Like other familars for the Twelve Viral masters.
- Character Death: Peter and Hollis shoot him several times, finally putting him down permanently.
- The Dragon: To Babcock.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Babcock is far too removed from humanity, too solitary and too batshit insane to do anything that doesn't involve eating everyone. Jude does most of the busywork.
- Faux Affably Evil: Jude is all smiles and jokes at first, but loses his temper quickly and is generally a vicious bastard.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Started off as a referenced-once 'sweep', one of Project Noah's resident lowest-level butt monkeys. About a hundred years later, he's The Dragon to Babcock who's extremely difficult to kill.
- Hannibal Lecture: He loves giving these to an imprisoned Theo, taunting him about his friends and trying to break him mentally.
- Meaningful Name: Jude is a Judas to the entire human race.
- Mouth of Sauron: Babcock is almost a total recluse, so Jude is the one who represents him and maintains his food source.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: One of the perks of being Babcock's familiar is that Jude can be a Viral without entirely being one. This include the ability to withstand a great deal of punishment: a shotgun blast to the face only temporarily incapcitates him.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Peter and Hollis empty their entire clips into him; justified since he'd survived a shotgun blast to the face and was nigh invulnerable.
- Older Than They Look: He seems to be in his thirties; in reality Jude is over 100 years old.
- The Renfield: For Babcock, who considers him his 'best'.
- Smug Snake: Jude is very sure of himself and confident, but he would be nothing more than a sexual deviant with a mop if it wasn't for Babcock.
- Villainous Breakdown: By the time he staggers out of the train, Jude is a complete wreck who isn't thinking straight. He kills Caleb despite being surrounded by people with guns, resulting in his own death.
BillieA doctor living in the Haven, she treats Michael when the Apostles first make it the Haven. She's later revealed to be part of the group that wants to escape Haven. Short-tempered and irritable, Billie has some mild authority in the Haven due to her medical expertise and friendship with Olsen.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Billie seems like a nice enough person at first, but after she's revealed as a rebel she becomes more irritable and bitchy.
- Boyish Short Hair: She sports this cut.
- Dr. Jerk: Eventually reveals herself as such.
- Good Is Not Nice: Billie may be short with others, but she is trying to escape the Haven and save people.
- The Medic: Within the Haven. She appears to be their only doctor.
Click here to return to the main character page