open/close all folders
Played By: Brian CoxA solid and phlegmatic character, he holds his own, but neither attracts nor creates any trouble. He is a lifer and has long accepted that he will never see the outside again.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Seems to be indicated by his general demeanor, the fact that he's serving a life sentence in prison, and his daughter being addicted to hard drugs.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Frank gives his life so that Lacey can escape punishment from Rizza and escape the prison.
Played By: Dominic CooperA newly arrived prisoner and Frank's cellmate.
- Break the Cutie: Is sent to a Hellhole Prison despite being very young and of a sweet nature. Sexual harassment, violent rape, a suicide attempt, an attempted rape, and a threat to his life all happen within a week. As his incarceration continues you can see his emotional state deteriorate from PTSD to near catatonia.
- Butt-Monkey: One terrible thing happens to him after another.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: On Tony.
- Prison Rape: Is heralded into the empty showers, by the prison's guards, so that Tony can have access to him.
Played By: Liam CunninghamPerry's right hand man and closest friend.
Played By: Joseph FiennesA former thief and boxer.
Played By: Seu JorgeThe prison chemist.
Played By: Damien LewisA ruthless convict who rules over the other inmates.
- Aloof Big Brother: Rizza is nonplussed and unfettered amidst the chaos of the prison, in contrast with Tony's erratic and manic ways.
- Big Bad: He's more frightening and powerful than Tony, but also more sinister because he's clearly in control of himself and without the excuse of drugs for his sadistic behavior.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite the both of them being evil, Rizza clearly cares for his younger brother Tony.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: Terrifies the entire jail, including the staff, into compliance with his rule without raising his voice.
- The Stoic: He shows very little emotion even while forcing a man to cut off his own thumb, or threatening another man's child.
- Villainous Breakdown: His solid, stoic, smug demeanor is shaken when Frank fearlessly and casually informs him that outside the prison walls…he’s less than nothing.
Played By: Steven MackintoshBrother of Rizza, drug addled and the source of much conflict.