Characters: Lovecraft Is Missing
Characters in Lovecraft Is Missing.Many but not all are heavily inspired by characters of the same name in the fiction of H.P. Lovecraft and his contemporaries, but are not necessarily exactly the same as their inspirations; such trivia will be mentioned as a Shout-Out.
Main CharactersWin Battler - A young pulp writer from Tough Luck, Oklahoma. Having gone east to meet H.P. Lovecraft - his fellow author of weird tales and friend-by-post - Win narrowly misses Lovecraft's disappearance from a locked room. Has a tattoo on his upper back which cultists and an evil gelatinous baby have reacted against and attempted to remove.He has been doing so since 1908, after being dragged in by associates of Erich Zann.
- Badass Preacher
- Deadpan Snarker
- Gentleman and a Scholar: His reason for involvement has everything to do with his involvement in a particular palaeontological discovery.
- Spanner in the Works: Kartophilus only recently realised how much of a threat he is to him.
VillainsDr. Kartophilus (Count St. Germain, Melmoth) - His real name is unknown; all his aliases are names of fictional immortals. He himself is a powerful sorcerer, possibly immortal himself. His goal is vague, but near completion.Mummy - Nan’s psychotic mother who is now trapped in another dimension, and is possibly no longer human. It was recently revealed that she has some relationship with Tobbin.
- Evil Matriarch
- Humanoid Abomination
- Monster from Beyond the Veil: She's dead, and doesn't find it much of an impediment. Her ghost is full of tentacles.
- Mad Doctor
- Shout-Out: Dr. Muñoz appears in H.P. Lovecraft's Cool Air, where he is undead, and has to treat himself with special chemicals and keep his environment well below mean temperature to keep himself from decomposing.
- He also refers briefly to Herbert West - another Lovecraft character who experimented with the undead.
Supporting CharactersMa & Pa Battler - Win’s parents, salt of the earth types, who’ve scraped by in the tiny town of Tough Luck, OklahomaEely Billings - He’s been with Jackey for almost 20 years, playing various roles, including working as an editor at Weird Tales to intercept stories of interest, many by H.P. Lovecraft.Milo Bowers – A Tough Luck resident and son of the the granary foreman; a bully with an especial dislike of Win, and an especial fear of his father.Mr. Bowers – Milo’s dad, one of the local heads of Cthulhu worship in Tough Luck.Walter Cow – Another of Jackey’s associates, the muscle of the group.
- Cultured Badass: "Like Solomon."
- Humanoid Abomination
- Shout-Out: "Tentacles", and his general build, suggests he's a shoggoth in human form.
- Mad Artist: What a surprise.
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Shout-Out: To the titular character of Pickman's Model.