open/close all folders
The Paré Family
Aimé "Ti-Mé / Popa" Paré
- Portrayed by: Claude Meunier
- Abusive Parent: To Rénald.
- Bumbling Dad: Downplayed version. Popa is not nearly as stupid as the usual example, and is a bit more of a Jerkass, but he does tend to follow the outline of the trope.
- Deadpan Snarker: He's actually rather snarky, something he shares with his wife.
- Hands-Off Parenting: He didn't really care about his children and how they'll be raised.
- Ho Yay: In-Universe, there is an undertone of homosexuality in the relationship between Popa and his idol, Mr Bricole (Mr. Fix-It), who is gay. This scares Popa greatly.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: To Rénald and Caro.
Jacqueline "Moman" Paré
- Portrayed by: Serge Thériault
- Crosscast Role: She is played by a male actor.
- Deadpan Snarker: Like her husband, though she tends to be less insulting (unless it's directed to him).
- Doting Parent: How she dotes on Rod in particular.
- The Heart: She's loved by all her children and is generally the most liked member of the family.
Rénald "Pinson" Paré
- Portrayed by: Marc Labrèche
- Berserk Button: Being called "cheap" (That is, a cheapskate. Which he is. Exceedingly.)
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Not abusive per say, but neglectful. His parents have only one picture of him in his childhood... and he's hiding behind a tree.
- Freudian Excuse: Most of Rénald's issues are blamed on his neglected childhood.
- Part of his hostility with his siblings has to do with Rénald being fully aware he's done more with his life than any of them, and yet gets looked down upon by both them and his parents.
- Happily Married: Lison may be his trophy wife, but he genuinely loves her, and she's madly in love with him (almost obsessively so). Compare with Thérèse and her cheating husband.
- The Un-Favourite: Rénald's easily his parents' least liked child. While Mom or Pops will show affection towards their other kids (usually Mom more than Pops), neither of them do this for Rénald. Almost any display of affection from them is because they don't want him to act out. And he barely gets any more respect from his siblings. Rénald of course thus craves the affection and approval of his parents.
- It can be argued that his wife has a better relationship with his parents than he does.
- Shadow Archetype: To Rod. Rod is the eldest son, dotted upon by his mother, who is a Manchild and almost always jobless and still relies on his mother for having his meals cooked for the month and his laundry done. Unlike Rénald who has a far more healthy and successful adult life
- Rénald is a bit of this to all the children: Despite his obsessive nature, and his obvious emotional issues towards his parents, he's arguably the most normal of the children as far as his life and accomplishments go: He holds a steady job, unlike any of them (and in fact has a fairly prestigious and well paying one), is married unlike Caro and Rod, and in fact in a happy marriage unlike Thérèse. He also lives separately from his parents in a nice home, but sees them regularly (even if they hate that).
- Super OCD: Rénald is known for his routine, and freaks out when said routine is disturbed.
- Portrayed by: Diane Lavallée
- Running Gag: Attempting to make paté chinois and failing spectacularly.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Quite possibly the most surreal character in a cast consisting entirely of surreal characters.
Caroline "Caro" Paré
- Portrayed by: Guylaine Tremblay
- Berserk Button: Her dad in general, whom she's very hostile towards.
- Big Sister Instinct: She's got a soft spot for Thérèse and is thus very hostile towards Réjean.
- Cool People Rebel Against Authority: Deconstructed - Caro would be the "Cool" kid in the family, but she's constantly picking new causes to champion.
- Granola Girl: When it matches her issue of the day.
- Rebellious Spirit: Basically her entire shtick.
Rodrigue "Rod" Paré
- Portrayed by: Bernard Fortin
In-Laws of the Paré family
Lison "Creton" Paré
- Portrayed by: Josée Deschênes
- Trophy Wife: Everyone is pretty clear that Creton's greatest quality is her looks, not her smarts. But in a subversion, she and Rénald really are devoted to each other.
- Portrayed by: Marc Messier
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Popa is really acerbic towards him (rightfully so), but Réjean still treats and acts like he's Popa's best friend.
Paul "Pogo" Gauthier
- Portrayed by: Rémi Girard
- Noodle Incident: A story he repeatedly tries to tell, but never finishes. Its beginning is his catchphrase: "Un soir que j'tais au Forum, les Maple Leafs jouaient contre ch'ais pus trop qui..." note
- Portrayed by: Silvie Potvin
- Linda: Have you seen his knees? They're Zeus' knees!Moman: It's a shame he has Bacchus' face.
Jean-Louis "Jean-Lou" Pichette
- Portrayed by: Michel Côté
Bobby "Mr. Bricole"
- Portrayed by: Gilles Renaud
Momo and Bobonne
- Portayed by: Benoît Brière (Momo) & Véronique Le Flaguais (Bobonne)