AbigailSweet, pretty and somewhat naive at the start of the novel, but easily swayed by the influences of others. Abigail cares a bit too much about what other people think of her and is very prone to peer pressure. She has very little personality of her own.
- The Ditz: She's not particularly antagonistic, but hanging around Blossom and Oliver too much begins to colour the way she acts.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope
- Peer Pressure Makes You Evil
BlossomA chubby girl who had come from a wealthy family before being orphaned shortly before the events of the novel.
LolaA juvenile delinquent with a strong sense of right and wrong.
OliverAthletic, handsome and self-confident to the point of arrogance. He and Blossom provide the main driving force of the cruel actions called for by the machine.
- Jerk Jock
- Toxic Friend Influence: He, more than anyone else, wants the others to come over to the dark side.
- Urine Trouble: One of the things he does to appease the machine is to stand on an upper landing and take a leak on Lola's head.