open/close all folders
The Black Order
Voiced by Sanae Kobayashi (JP, first anime), Ayumu Murase (JP, 2016 anime), Todd Haberkorn (EN)
The 15-year-old protagonist of the series, Allen is a young man who was born with a deformed red left arm with a cross embedded in the hand. His biological parents abandoned him because of this, and Allen was taken in and raised by a man named Mana Walker. When Mana died, Allen was overcome with grief and the Millennium Earl appeared before him with the offer to bring Mana back from the dead. Allen accepted the offer and Mana's soul was trapped in the metal body of an akuma. Mana cursed Allen and tried to kill him to wear his skin, but it turns out that Allen's deformed arm is an Innocence, which then activated and destroyed Mana's akuma body. Allen was later taken under the wing of General Cross, who trained him how to be an "Exorcist" (a person who can use an Innocence to fight and destroy akuma). When the story begins, Allen is on his way to find the Black Order and join the organization.Allen's Innocence is a "parasite-type", one of the rarest Innocences. Due to Mana's curse, Allen's left eye is branded with a pentacle. However, with this eye Allen is the only one who can see who is an akuma in a human skin, as well as being able to see the tortured soul trapped within. He is a cheerful, kind young man who loves everyone, and has made it his mission to release akuma-captured souls from their pain and suffering.Allen's Innocence is called the Crowned Clown. In early chapters, it starts as a massive claw; during the Ark Arc, it upgrades to body armor and several new abilities. After achieving General-level synchronization, its final form is revealed: a massive sword that only harms the evil within someone.
- All-Loving Hero: Allen simply loves everyone and wishes to protect them all. He even cares about saving the Noah.
- Amnesiac Hero: As revealed by Neah, who states Allen lost his memories of him and his past before he became younger.
- Art Evolution: His appearance has changed a lot over the course of the series, particularly in his evolution from cute little boy to bishonen.
- Badass Adorable: A cute young man who is an exorcist.
- Bandage Babe: His very effeminate figure in these scanty bandages have caused Stupid Sexy Flanders moments everywhere.
- Bare Your Midriff: He's shown wearing sleeveless shirt like this during his stay at Asia branch.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning General Cross' debt is a bad idea, as is calling him 'Beansprout'. The second mostly applies to Kanda, though.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Allen is a cheerful, kind young man who loves everyone, and has made it his mission to not only save humanity, but also release akuma-captured souls from their pain and suffering. But do NOT get him angry, because he will make the offender very, VERY sorry.
- BFG: At the end of the Ghost of Martel storyline.
- BFS: Towards the end of the Ark storyline, thanks to having an over 100% synchronization rate with his Innocence. Which strikingly looks exactly like the Millennium Earl's. This is likely due to the fact that he is the host for the 14th's memories. In chapter 215, Nea is shown to be holding an exact copy of the Millennium Earl's sword.
- Big Damn Heroes: Because he's a protagonist of shounen series. But damn if these moments are not epic.
- Big Eater: To a truly absurd degree. Justified, though— Parasite Type Innocence uses a lot of calories.
- Birds of a Feather: With Lenalee. Both are nice people with a penchant of having Chronic Hero Syndrome, and think of their comrades as family. Both also happen to attract a significant number of people of the opposite sex.
- Bishie Sparkle: He can actually exude bishie sparkles at will to manipulate people and get what he wants, most notably with Komurin (which is even more amazing, considering that it's a male robot).
- Bishōnen: He can actually be prettier than a lot of girls in the series.
- Break the Cutie: A severe case in his Back Story. After this, all that happened to him since doesn't seem strong enough to break him for good.
- Broken Hero: He's nice, cheerful, idealistic, and really, really cute, but his life has been kind of traumatic.
- Butt Monkey: Poor kid REALLY can't catch a break.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Allen once got drunk by eating alcoholic chocolates. There's a reason he's forbidden from touching alcohol.
- Celibate Hero: In an omake "interview" with him, he claims to be this, saying that he has no time for such things.
- The Charmer: If the aforementioned Bishie Sparkle incident is anything to go by, he could be if he wasn't so gosh-darned nice.
- Chick Magnet: Little Miss Badass Road is smitten with Allen, which is awkward when you consider she's a Noah who once stabbed him in the eye For the Evulz. Rohfa also adores him. For is implied to have a bit of a crush on him. And then there's Lenalee...
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: He wishes to save everyone — humans and Akuma alike. If anyone is in danger while he's around, count on him to jump in and save them.
- Circus Brat: Emphasis on the "brat" part, at least prior to his adoption. But then, his life at the circus before Mana was unpleasant.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: His Innocence and his Facial Markings.
- Cursed with Awesome:
- Literally. Mana's pentacle curse makes Allen the only Exorcist who can see akuma through their human disguises. Specifically, it's the ability to see the souls of akuma. And because when akuma evolve their souls degrade, Allen only sees twisted and trapped souls in captivity. It's actually a terrible curse no one would want, and only made awesome by the fact that Allen is an exorcist and the curse makes him uniquely gifted at his job.
- To put the matter of the cursed eye in perspective; Lavi, a seasoned exorcist and human recorder, is deeply unsettled when Allen's eye evolves(like an akuma!) and grants people near Allen the ability to see akuma souls as well. Before that happened he thought the curse was a handy ability. He later remarks that he would never want Allen's vision and that he couldn't eat for awhile after the experience. And that was only a Lv. 2 akuma."The world as he sees it is hell."
- Unfortunately, it only gets worse as akuma evolve further. At Lv. 4, all that left of an akuma's soul are fragments. Even Allen is horrified by this - and his cursed eye starts to bleed painfully in reaction to what he sees.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Allen was abandoned, beaten, and such until he met Mana, who died shortly after.
- Defector from Decadence: As of chapter 205, Allen has taken the ark and left the order due to disgust with the higher ups and their methods, (and doubts about their intentions). He's essentially gone renegade to find a better way to defeat the Earl.
- Detect Evil: He can tell humans from demons using his cursed left eye. But the once-human souls of the demons are not pretty to look at. "The world he sees is hell," as one of his comrades comments.
- Determinator: Allen promised to Mana to never stop walking the path he's chosen until he dies.
- Enemy Within: The 14th Noah. Nea reveals that he actually considered Allen a friend, and that it was Allen himself who offered to be the host for Nea's memories. However, how this seemingly contradictory piece of information fits in with what the audience has been told about Allen's past is yet to be revealed.
- Even the Guys Want Him: So do Komurin III, Tyki Mikk, maybe Lavi, as well as Jeryy.
- Eye Scream: Besides the way he acquired the curse and accompanying scars on his eye, there's also the time when Road was... having fun... and stabbed him in the eye with a candle.
- Facial Markings: He has an unusual mark on the left side of his face that starts as a pentagram on his forehead. This mark indicates that he's been cursed.
- Fountain of Youth: When he takes over his body for a while, Nea is surprised that Allen's body has gotten younger than when he last saw him. Even though this is said there is no difference in how Allen looks in the artstyle and when the mangaka returns after her years of hiatus Allen actually looks more mature somehow in recent chapters.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a scar through his left eye, which is part of the curse that allows him to see Akuma. And as of recently, he received a bunch of huge, deep scars across his entire chest from impaling himself with his own Akuma-purifying sword, which he thought shouldn't hurt him... except for the unfortunate fact that he's actually a Noah.
- The Hero: Allen always arrives to protect everyone and he tries to save everyone — humans and Akuma alike.
- Heroic Ambidexterity: According to Hoshino, Allen is ambidextrous.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Twice. First after Suman Dark's demise, later after Lavi and Chaoji seemingly fell to their death.
- Heroic R.R.O.D.: When his Innocence breaks while trying to subdue Suman´s Fallen One, followed by his "death" at the hands of Tyki Mikk, which pushes Lenalee far beyond the Despair Event Horizon.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Slowly going this way due to the Fourteenth. It's later culminated in Kanda accidentally turning him full-Noah, and even though he just saved everyone again, the Black Order promptly throws him in prison. And being busted out by Road and Tyki hasn't helped any.
- Hidden Depths: For the most part he's a Messianic Archetype, but turns out to have a devious side, which we see when he tries to charm a robot, and when he's revealed to be a master at cheating at poker. Being a Noah might have something to do with it.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: His abuse and psychological trauma at the hands of his master General Cross is played entirely for laughs.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Directly lampshaded and justified both in interviews with the mangaka and in-series. Apparently, Allen has no problems eating and digesting the gigantic towers of food he eats, since just simply activating his innocence burns a huge amount of calories.
- Ideal Hero: Kind, helpful, idealistic, caring, forgiving and self-sacrificing.
- In Vino Veritas: In the "Kuro no Bansankai" Special Drama CD, Allen shows his behavior when he gets drunk. He becomes very vicious and destructive, and causes massive property damage that he can't even remember doing.
- It's Personal: He seems to have this feeling toward The Earl who tricked him into turning Mana into an Akuma, and he attacks the Earl in rage when he sees him again. He may also have feeling toward Apocryphos to a lesser extent, whom he attacks him in rage when he sees that Apocryphos shot Cross -complete with a disbelieving "You killed my master?!"
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Neah implies that something like this has been done to him back when he was a young adult, probably not long after becoming his friend's host. He doesn't understand why Allen doesn't remember him or anything before being brought back as a child.
- Locked into Strangeness: As a child, Allen's hair was a more reddish-brown color. His hair turned white when his adopted father cursed him.
- Love You and Everybody: Fitting, given the fact he's an All-Loving Hero.
- Magical Eye: His left eye lets him see the souls of Akuma.
- Magic Pants: It doesn't matter if he turns his arm into a massive claw, a cannon, or a BFS; his sleeve is always intact. Lampshaded in a Fourth-Wall Mail Slot interview; when someone asked what happened to it, he replied:"I have no idea. I'm just glad it doesn't rip."
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: Not really straight example, because there's nothing weird with Allen's own appearance whenever he looks in the mirror. However, after Ark arc there's odd form looming behind him, grinning creepily, whom only he can see. It's eventually revealed that it's actually form of 14th Noah who is eventually going to take over his body.
- Monster Clown: Interestingly played with. He's more like badass hero clown, and a monster to his enemies. All in all, you'd be hardpressed to find another protagonist with that description.
- Mystical White Hair: His white hair is noted as quite unusual. This is a hint that he's a cursed Exorcist and the 14th Noah.
- Nice Guy: Allen portrays himself as a kind, generous, and very polite young man. He tends to be very self-sacrificing, often willing to let his body and emotions take devastating blows for the sake of others; this trait is something that has angered several of his comrades and friends, most noticeably Yu and Lenalee.
- No Sense of Direction: Allen has been described as a "master of getting lost."
- Older Than He Looks: It's implied that Allen is a lot older than 35. In fact, Nea even observes that Allen has grown younger from when he first knew him.
- Parental Abandonment: Abandoned by his parents, his adoptive father died, and his Trickster Mentor is a complete bastard who he's usually very, very happy to avoid.
- The Pollyanna: Seriously, this kid has been through a lot of crap and yet, he still doesn't let it get him down.
- Professional Gambler: He's a master at cheating at poker. He says that he had to polish his skills so he could pay off General Cross' debts and make a living for himself.
- Red Right Hand: Well, left hand, really...
- Slasher Smile: Technically, it is the 14th.
- The Soulsaver: He wishes to save all the souls of the dead trapped inside the Akuma.
- Stepford Smiler: Some interpretations of his character. Allen tends to smile and throw out optimistic and enthusiastic support at the drop of a hat when around his friends, but whenever he's alone he tends to be either beating himself up, wallowing in some deserved self-pity, or worrying about his entire freaking existence.
- Stock Shonen Hero: He isn't an Idiot Hero, but otherwise Allen fits the trope to a tee. He's a cheerful, kind-hearted and compassionate young man with a strong sense of justice. He loves and wishes to save everyone — humans and Akuma alike. Nothing you do will make him give up or keep him down for long. He also has spiky hair and is a Big Eater.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The Fourteenth Noah inside Allen.
- Tears of Blood: Allen reacts very badly with seeing Akuma destroyed with anything other than innocence. Since he sees the souls in agony, yet there's nothing he can do to save them.
- Technical Pacifist: Allen's goal is to purify akuma, not kill them entirely.
- Terrible Artist: He sucks at drawing.
- Through His Stomach:
- The way to Allen's heart. In one instance, Miranda is unable to think of any way to cheer him up, only to offer him candy. He right away becomes ridiculously happy. Rohfa evidently caught on to this, as she apparently is trying to court him by bribing him with huge boxes of Mitarashi Dango. It does make him very happy, but apparently he's ignoring all the romantic implications suggested.
- In a little "interview" with Allen in an omake, he pretty much directly lampshades this, pondering that perhaps the only way that he would fall for a girl is if she cooked yummy food for him every day. Of course, he said it jokingly, and right afterwards, he claims he's a Celibate Hero who doesn't have time for romance.
- Tomato in the Mirror: He's the host for the Fourteenth Noah.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Allen's favorite food are mitarashi dangos.
- Trauma Conga Line: The story of poor Allen's life, starting from long before the beginning of the series and shows no signs of stopping.
- Undying Loyalty: It seems like his past self shared this trope with Nea, to the point of lending his body to him and accepting the fact that he would eventually disappear in order for Nea to be fully revived.
- Unstoppable Rage: Let's just say Allen is NOT happy to see Lala and Guzol get stabbed to death by a level 2 akuma. Allen is so mad that it causes his anti-akuma weapon to upgrade, which he uses (along with some help from Kanda) to turn said akuma to dust.
- We Named the Monkey "Jack":
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Type 2 with Kanda. The 'buds' part is still debatable.
- White Gloves: With hand like Allen's, it's no wonder he wears them.
- White Hair, Black Heart: A Inversion; white-haired bishonen he may be, but he's an All-Loving Hero. The 14th is the true example.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Allen has unassuming and borderline naive traits, despite the troubling life his master and General, Cross Marian, forced him to live. Because of his cursed Pentacle Eye, which allows him to see the human souls bound to Akuma, Allen considers Akuma to be just as important to him as humans, swearing his left arm to saving Akuma and his right to saving humans in his attempt to be, as he once put it, "a destroyer who can save".
- You Can Barely Stand: He's been known to fight even when he can't stand, using his innocence to force his unconscious body to move.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Justified. Allen has white hair because he was cursed as a child.
Voiced by Shizuka Ito (JP, first anime), Ai Kakuma (JP, 2016 anime), Luci Christian (EN)
The 16-year-old sister of Black Order Supervisor Komui Lee, Lenalee is a powerful Exorcist. After her parents were killed by an akuma, she was found to be compatible with an Innocence at a young age, pretty much abducted by the Order and forced to synchronize with it. After nearly killing herself during several attempts to escape the Order, Lenalee is persuaded to stay when Komui joins to be near her. She is very kind, and fights not for the cause of the 'holy war' that the Black Order is fighting against the Millennium Earl, but for the safety of her family and friends.Lenalee's Innocence are the Dark Boots. An equipment-type, they allow her to run faster than normal, jump great heights, and make her heels deadly weapons. They have recently upgraded to a previously unseen type of Innocence that forms the user's blood into equipment; this has been termed crystal-type by the Science Department.
- Action Girl: Lenalee is an incredibly skilled Exorcist and one hell of a trooper on the battlefield.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair is only green in the anime. In the manga her hair is specifically stated to be black, despite sometimes being drawn as green, blue or purple in the colour art.
- Alliterative Name: Lenalee Lee.
- Anime Chinese Girl: At least ethnically-wise, according to the manual.
- Armed Legs: She wears the Dark Boots, her Empathic Weapon which take the form of boots.
- Author Appeal: Hoshino mentions in one of the early volumes how Lenalee is her ideal. She's also based on a real person.
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's a kind, caring, and sweet young woman who is a very skilled Exorcist, unafraid to fight someone who harms her friends.
- Birds of a Feather: With Allen. Both are nice people with a penchant of having Chronic Hero Syndrome, and think of their comrades as family. Both also happen to attract a significant number of people of the opposite sex.
- Bob Haircut: She sports this hairstyle at the end of the 2006 series, and carries over into the 2016 series, Hallow.
- Boyish Short Hair: Her hair got burned off after her fight with the first L3 akuma shown in the series, giving her this. It grows back to a bob hairstyle at the end of the 2006 series, and carries over into the 2016 series.
- Broken Bird: Though she hides it well. She secretly hates the Black Order because of what she went through, to the point of wishing her experiences were all a bad dream. She does eventually accept her role, resulting in a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- The Chick: While sweet and feminine, she's quite the Action Girl.
- Chickification: She suffered of this after she pushed her Innocence too far in her fight with Eshi and went into a Heroic R.R.O.D. that left her unable to use her legs properly, which lead her to become a Damsel in Distress whom the Noah try to capture her. She gets better after she gains her new crystal-type Dark Boots.
- Close-Call Haircut: Lenalee's fight with the first L3 akuma shown in the series gives her one of these, combining it with Important Haircut as she discovers the depths of her resolve.
- Combat Stilettos: The Dark Boots. They start out as thicker high heels, but after going crystal-type they become stilettos.
- Dance Battler: Her Innocence is a pair of boots.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Try to look futher◊, and Komui will kick your ass. If he isn't around and you try it again, she'll kick your ass instead.
- Demoted to Extra: Suffers from this a little bit.
- Despair Event Horizon: When Allen is "killed" by Tyki Mikk and she isn´t allowed to see him. She pretty much becomes a vegetable until Eshi comes along.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Her reaction to meeting Inspector Lvellier again is quite similar to that of a rape victim´s...
- Dude Magnet: She is clearly Allen's counterpart in that domain (although it doesn't seem Even the Girls Want Her). Allen probably likes her more than just a little, Lavi says he is totally interested in her, Bak is… well, Bak, Cross blatantly hits on her once. She also can make Cross stay at the Order, as he was going to run off again, but found Lenalee too cute to refuse. Regory Peck apparently did it several times, and Li Kei falls in Love at First Sight. And there is Komui's behaviour…
- Expy: She looks similar to Eureka after her Close-Call Haircut and they are both their resident show's Living MacGuffins.
- Girlish Pigtails: Somewhat subverted. She has a sweet personality, but she can and will mess you up if you threaten her or her friends.
- Go-Go Enslavement: Road once dresses her up in an Elegant Gothic Lolita-style burgundy gown and changes her Girlish Pigtails into Mega Twintails.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: She completely snaps when Allen is presumed dead after Tyki had his way with him and is pretty much stuck in the Despair Event Horizon for several episodes.
- Hidden Depths: The sweet, sunny-natured Nice Girl, is actually bitter and broken due to the horrific training she went through, to the point where she hates the Black Order, the Innocence, and God.
- Kick Chick: She's practically this trope personifed, due to her fighting style. Which implies...
- Lady of War: She's feminine and softspoken, and she's always graceful in battle.
- Lightning Bruiser: Of the "hard-hitting speedster" variety.
- Magic Skirt: Despite said fighting style, there hasn't been one single Panty Shot. That doesn't prevent her from being Ms. Fanservice though.
- Modesty Shorts: As seen in the trailer for the 2016 series, Lenalee wears a pair of black shorts under her skirt.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her legs are always given tons of attention.
- Nice Girl: Downplayed. She is a kind person, but only towards the people she's close to. She's painfully aware of it.
- Older Than She Looks: She is one year older than Allen, but she is quite shorter than him.
- Rapunzel Hair: Before her Close-Call Haircut, her hair used to reach her hips when not held in pigtails.
- Sci-Fi Bob Haircut: After spending most of the second half of the 2006 series with very short hair after it got burned off, her hair grows back to a bob hairstyle at the end of the 2006 series, and carries over into the 2016 series.
- She-Fu: She uses many graceful acrobatics in battle, courtesy of her Dark Boots.
- Ship Tease: With Allen. She goes into a Heroic B.S.O.D. when she thinks he died. When the Earl was about to kill her, Allen performs a Big Damn Heroes, reappearing to her the first time since she thought he was dead. Later she falls asleep waiting for Allen to wake up. And not to mention the tearful farewell when Allen hugs Lenalee and tells her that he loves her...and everyone else.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Is strongly implied to be attracted to Allen; who happens to be an All-Loving Hero, Nice Guy, and Wide-Eyed Idealist.
- Sleep Cute: What she does with Allen. Cue Squeeing.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Hers gets wrongly romanized to everything from Linali Li to Rinari Ri.
- Stepford Smiler: She hides a lot of bitterness behind her sweet and cheerful exterior.
- Taking You with Me: Pulled this as her last resort in fight with level 3 Akuma establishing her Badass status forever. She doesn't die, thanks to her Innocence, but was fully prepared to.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Her favorite food is chocolate cake.
- Traumatic Haircut: See also Close-Call Haircut.
- Tricked-Out Shoes: The Dark Boots.
- True Companions: Lenalee's reason for fighting.
- Walk on Water: With her Innocence activated, she can do this.
- Woman in Black: Inverted in terms of personality.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: At one point someone new to headquarters tries to yell at the Science Division for having an Exorcist serve them coffee. Someone has to explain that Lenalee does it because she likes to.
- Yaoi Fangirl: She looks awfully fascinated when she sees Lavi hugging Allen at one point.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The anime gave her green hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Lenalee makes Grade B or Grade A easily. When not in combat, she still shows truly staggering amounts of leg.
Voiced by Kenichi Suzumura (JP, first anime), Natsuki Hanae (JP, 2016 anime), Jason Liebrecht note & Chris Patton note (EN)
A mysterious young man set to become the next Bookman, a historian who records the secret wars that shape the world. Originally sent to the Black Order solely to document the war between Exorcists and akuma, Lavi finds himself becoming more and more attached to his fellow Exorcists.Lavi's Innocence is Tettsui, or Iron Hammer. It is capable of extending and expanding to massive sizes; Lavi uses the head as a platform to travel on. Lavi can also harness elemental powers through Tettsui with various 'seals'. Unlike other Exorcists in the main cast, Lavi has yet to defeat Akuma that's above level 2. He isn't very strong fighter likely because of his need to keep distance from his Innocence, but it's been shown that he's quite competent fighter barehanded. Apparently he also knows how to use a knife.
- Art Evolution: There's a large difference between his appearance early in the story and more recent. To be fair, Hoshino most likely just got accustomed to drawing him, but still.
- Badass Bookworm: His favorite hobbies are reading and sleeping. So yes, he likely qualifies.
- Becoming the Mask: Originally, Lavi was not intended to feel attached to the Black Order. During the Ark Arc, Lavi must defeat his original Bookman personality, who refers to humans as 'splashes of ink' to break free of an illusion cast by Road.
- Calling Your Attacks: Lavi's hammer uses elemental seals, which he has to activate with a short incantation.
- Chivalrous Pervert
- Conflicting Loyalty: Between the Black Order and his duties as a Bookman.
- Demoted to Extra: After Destruction of Black Order his appearances have grow less and less frequent. And then he kind of disappears from sight altogether for two story arcs.
- Distressed Dude: Variation, as he's not completely helpless when put in such situation (the fight with Road). But now, as of chapter 202, he's being held hostage by Noah, injected with some sort of parasite that will kill him if Bookman doesn't cooperate with them. Lavi has also been in a few near-death situations during fights with Akuma so his fellow exorcists have often saved his life. Most notable is one time when he got shot on the neck and Krory sucked the Akuma poison out of him.
- Does Not Like Spam: His least favorite food is wasabi.
- Drop the Hammer: His Innocence, "Iron Hammer", is a size-shifting hammer. It can grow ("man") and extend ("shin") at Lavi's command. He also uses it as a mode of transportation by standing on the handle and continuously extending it in one direction. The weight increases with its size, but since Lavi is the Accommodator, this weight change does not affect him.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: When he loses his mind as result of Road's Mind Rape during the Ark arc.
- Elemental Powers: He uses seals to control several elements, such as fire and lightning.
- Eyepatch of Power: Lavi's right eye is covered by a standard black eyepatch. The reason has yet to be unrevealed, although in the second Reverse novel, he tells Colette it isn't there because of an injury when she asks him about it. According to Lavi's narration, it's subject that he really doesn't wish to talk, let alone think about.
- Good with Numbers: Lavi is noted to have a particular fascination with numbers. He attributes this to his occupation as a chronicler.
- Green Eyes
- Hidden Depths: Lavi acts like a cheerful, carefree goof, but is much smarter than he initially seems. He's an apprentice bookman, somebody who's supposed to record secret wars, and grew up exposed to so much violence he was emotionally barren by the age of sixteen. He got better once he joined the Black Order, but we see this side of him when Road temporarily reverts him to his old self via Mind Rape.
- Idiot Hair: During his early appearances in manga he sported one like this, but after a while it wasn't drawn again.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Lavi was excited with the idea that he would know and see things no one else did when he had just become Bookman's apprentice. After ten years of watching meaningless wars and bloodshed between people his opinion of humans lowered to considerable level. But as the series goes on, he starts to regain that hope on humanity as he sees how people are fighting for their True Companions around him. Doesn't stop him from disapproving news about declared wars though.
- Likes Older Women: In both the omake and the drama CD, he says that his favorite type of woman is widows.
- Lolicon: In the Komui's Discussion Room Vol. 7 omake he says he mostly goes for women between 10 and 40, and in the Black Dinner Party drama CD, while drunk he reveals that it's his 'strike range'.
- Mr. Fanservice
- The Nicknamer: He calls Bookman "Panda", Krory "Krorykins" ("Kro-chan"), Link "Two-spot"(Or pimple-face, depending on translation), asks Allen if he can call him "Beansprout", and names a converted Akuma "Chomesuke".
- No Name Given: Lavi's original name - or even a surname for his current name, if one even exists - has yet to be told.
- No Sense of Personal Space
- Obfuscating Stupidity: What he says to Bookman after they arrive to Black Order implies that at least part of his actions are just acting."Let's be frivolous and friendly like always."
- Photographic Memory
- Playing with Fire: The elemental seal he uses the most often is a huge snake made of fire.
- The Smart Guy: Because of his occupation, Lavi can actually be very intelligent and insightful, thinking up battle strategies on the go and frequently using his Bookman skills to win fights.
- Spell My Name with an "S":
- Is it Lavi, Ravi, Rabi, or Labi? Oh dear... (Word of God is that it's Lavi.)
- His 48th alias/Bookman personality/whatever it is gets this treatment as well. The name he's called most often among fans is "Deak", but as the name was used only once and katakana read "Dikku", fans have made billion different versions of it. The Japanese fandom doesn't have this problem, they just call him Dick.
- Stepford Smiler: This was the kind of guy he was before joining the Order and becoming friends with Allen and fellow exorcists. Acting friendly helps a lot with gathering information, no matter what you might think of them in reality after all. This is also lampshaded in Reverse novel 2 where it's mentioned that when he first came to Order one Finder (Doug) refused to talk with Lavi because he saw through his smiles and eyes- that it was all so fake and that they only reflected people's own around him. As Reverse novel 2 is set before actual series' events, he gets better over the time.
- Trademark Favorite Food: His favorite food is yakiniku.
Voiced by Takahiro Sakurai (JP, first anime), Takuya Sato (JP, 2016 anime), Travis Willingham (EN)
"Noah are immortal? Bullshit"A cold and aloof swordsman from Japan. Kanda is an extremely efficient Exorcist who prefers to work alone, though he is nominally under General Tiedoll's command. He has a tattoo of a strange rune on his left pectoral that sucks his life force to heal him if he is injured. As of Chapter 186, Kanda is revealed to be one of the experimental Second Exorcists, an apparently failed super Exorcist program. In a past life he was an exorcist who was killed in battle by an Akuma, since Exorcists are scarce they transplanted his brain into an artificial body, having no clear memories of the person he once was, but tortured by flashes of a romance he once had.Kanda's Innocence is Mugen, a black-bladed katana that allows him to use several 'Illusions' in combat. These range from an eight-sided slash similar to the Kuzu Ryu Sen to a second blade made of Innocence energy. Now it upgraded to the crystal-type as well.As of chapter 217, he has accepted the position of Exorcist General.
- Anti-Hero: He seems pragmatic, saying he'll leave his teammates behind if they become a burden to the mission, but he does the right thing more often than not.
- Artificial Human: Well his body anyway.
- Art Evolution: Probably the most dramatic example after Allen. After introducing Kanda, Hoshino complained that it's hard to draw good-looking people. Clearly, it isn't, anymore.
- The Atoner: Chapter 210 reveals that the only reason he came back to the Order is that he feels responsible for Allen's transformation into a Noah. He says that his regrets won't let him die in peace.
- Berserk Button: Calling him by his first name, Yu, is not the best of ideas.
- Bi the Way: A very literal case since he's in love with a woman he dated in his past life, who turns out to be reincarnated as a man. He has zero issues with this since he was in love with the man as well before he found out.
- Bishōnen: Lavi comments that Kanda is a "pretty-type character", and Allen occasionally calls him "girly face".
- Brain Transplant: As part of the "Second Exorcist" program, his brain got transplanted into an articifial body after his original body died.
- Broken Bird: He was killed and lost his lover in his past life and the childhood he had to live after his "rebirth" wasn't pretty. With that, you begin to understand where Kanda's cold and cynical personality comes from.
- The Bus Came Back:
- Byronic Hero: He's cynical and brooding, has a painful past, and definitely fits the physical description of the trope.
- Character Development: While he spent most of the series especially antagonistic towards Allen, even by his standards, after he returns to the Black Order and meets Allen—who is on the run, he chooses to help him and abandons most of his negativity towards him. This is apparently because he partially blames himself for Allen's near-awakening as a Noah and subsequent fugitive status.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Alma.
- Clothing Damage: His whole shirt is blown off during his fight with Skinn Bolic.
- Covert Pervert: In chapter 208, he drinks the Crystal-type Innocence liquid out of Lenalee´s hand, much to everyone´s surprise and her embarrassment. The whole time he has a very questionable look in his eye.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Boy howdy, just read the description of what was done to him as part of the "Second Exorcist" project, and not only that but he was raised and treated as an expendable tool by the Order, only being allowed to live after he had to murder his best friend. Kanda's past is so bad that using an Exposition Beam to show it to someone qualifies as Mind Rape. Even Road was horrified by it.
- Death Glare: Oh, so often."Hey. If you ever use my first name again, I'll kill you."
- Disney Death: Twice.
- Dramatic Irony: For many years, Kanda didn't get to realize the soul of the lover he lost in his past life and wanted to meet again was in the boy he befriended and then killed in order to survive when he was a kid.
- Dual Wielding: One of his attacks.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He was mistaken for a girl by Lenalee the first time they met as children. Even now, Allen has been known to use "girly face" as an insult for Kanda. In chapter 210 there's a scene where a random guy in a bar hits on Kanda, thinking he's a girl.
- Embarrassing First Name: It's the name his best friend, Alma, called him by. Alma and Kanda fought to the death nine years before the beginning of the story; Kanda won. So he probably doesn't want to be reminded of that fact. There also the fact that the characters speak English, so hearing "hey, Yuu!" when called by your first name can be quite embarassing…
- Every Japanese Sword Is a Katana: Averted. Kanda's blade, Mugen, is originally a chokuto, a straighter sword than the traditional katana. It's reforged into a katana after he breaks Mugen killing Skinn Bolic.
- Freudian Excuse: His Dark and Troubled Past is a very good reason to hate the Order. He doesn't even make a secret out of it.
- Good Is Not Nice: He says often that he doesn't care about other people, but will save them and protect them, often after saying he was using them as bait.
- Hair Color Dissonance: His hair is blue in the anime, and some coloured arts. Even purple at times. However, it's officially stated to be black, and the author has admitted at some point that the different colours are just the result of her and/or editor fooling around.
- Healing Factor: He can heal himself, but it drains away some of his life force.
- Healing Hands: The later chapters reveal that blood-to-blood contact with Kanda can heal injuries. He uses this to save Noise Marie in his backstory flashback, and Johnny after he nearly got his head split open by the 14th/Allen.
- He's Back
- Hime Cut: A Rare Male Example, to reflect his role as a traditional, samurai-like Japanese warrior.
- I Was Just Passing Through: Despite saying he won't save his teammates if they get themselves into trouble, he often does. Then denies he was helping them.
- I Will Find You: Spends most of the series looking for "a certain person", who turns out to be his girlfriend from a past life, reincarnated as Alma Karma.
- If It's You, It's Okay: It's difficult to say but his attitude towards Alma Karma after he learns the truth about him doesn't really put too much weight on his gender. Then again he's bisexual and it's implied he loved him before the big reveal, so even if it surprised him it wouldn't have bothered him much.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: A heart of gold that's buried deep down beneath layers of jerkassery and indifference, but heart of gold nevertheless.
- The Lancer
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: His long hair only contributes to his pretty boy looks.
- Mr. Fanservice: The biggest one after Allen. And a recent arc has revealed that there's a good reason why he's such a jerk, which is likely to make him even more fangirl-tastic.
- Nobody Touches the Hair: Kanda is testy about others touching his hair, getting mad at Lavi when he attempted to braid it.
- Official Couple: Short-lived though it was, with Alma.
- Perpetual Frowner:
- 200 chapters and he wasn't seen cheerful even one. The only times he's ever even smirked have been during battle, and he doesn't exactly look friendly then. What's weirder he doesn't show any signs of Wangst (and is in fact annoyed by people who do). He just seems to be always angry.
- To exemplify it, he's probably the only person in the entire order who gets annoyed by Lenalee's company. And she's probably the closest he has to childhood friend since they both were living in order since they were kids.
- He smiled exactly once in 200 chapters. He has a nice smile.
- The most sincere and peaceful smile we see of him is probably in chapter 207.
- Pet the Dog: He does have quite a few redeeming moments of kindness towards his teammates, especially when it comes to Lenalee or Alma.
- Power Tattoo: He has a tattoo on his chest that is the seal of his Second Exorcist regenerative abilities.
- Put on a Bus
- Rapunzel Hair: He has waist-length hair.
- Reincarnation Romance: In his past life, he was in love with a woman and in his current life, he falls in love with her again after finding out her soul is inside his friend Alma.
- Samurai Ponytail: He sports the tidy kind of samurai ponytail, complete with a katana as a weapon.
- Serious Business: Do not mess with Kanda's hair tie:
- When Bookman Sr. stole his hair tie, he fought his way through the entire order to find out who took it.
- Even during battle he's gone out of his way to grab Road (in doll-form) just so he could take one of her ribbons to tie his hair back up with it.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: He thinks Allen is much too naive, and doesn't hesitate to tell him this.
- Shirtless Scene: When he receives Clothing Damage from Skinn Bolic, Kanda spends the chapters afterwards with no shirt.
- Slip Knot Ponytail: Almost all of Kanda's battles so far have had his hair fall out of his ponytail, though the most notable is his fight against Skinn. Others include when he was injured by the level 2 akuma during the Ghost of Martel Arc and when the Earl leveled Edo.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: He's aloof, arrogant and moody, but he became like that as a result of a very nasty childhood.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: He has the soul of an Exorcist who died and was separated from his lover, who has also passed. Since Kanda has that person's soul, that means he is this with said dead lover and thus Alma.
- The Stoic: His emotional range appears to go from "apathetic" to "pissed off." But this breaks down during the Alma arc. In so many ways.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: As in 99% "ice" and 1% "sugar". He saves the latter side for his old friend and past lover Alma Karma.
- Super Soldier: He's one of the "Second Exorcists," one of the Black Order's more horrific projects.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Minus the charisma and Instant Fan Club, even the one minor character who initially fangirls him is annoyed by his attitude.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Soba noodles.
- Troubled, but Cute
- Vitriolic Best Buds:
- Type 2 with Allen. The 'buds' part is still debatable.
- It's far clearer a Type 2 with Lavi, both snark at each other but Kanda has no problem in behaving respectfully towards Lavi and going Back-to-Back Badasses with the other when needed .
- When He Smiles: Kanda has smiled a few times, and it really changes the way he looks. However, he's been known to smile while saying very sad things such as "This regret simply won't let me die in peace," so it's also entirely possible that he has gone straight from Perpetual Frowner to Stepford Smiler.
- Younger Than He Looks: His artificial body ages at a more rapid rate than a regular human. He is physically 19 years old, but has lived for only nine years.
Voiced by Mitsuo Iwata (JP), Noriaki Sugiyama (JP, 2016 anime), Eric Vale (EN)
A vampire-like exorcist from Romania. After he gained his Innocence, he instinctively attacked and drained the blood of Akuma, causing the villagers to believe he was a vampire. The only person who accepted him was a girl named Eliade, who later turned out to be an Akuma. When he found out what she really was, she tried to kill him. He ended up killing her as she said she only wanted to love him, despite her Akuma nature. The reason he joined the Black Order is so that Eliade's death would have a purpose.Krory's Innocence is his teeth. When activated, he can drink the blood of Akuma, which has no negative effects on him since a parasitic-type Innocence can break down the blood virus. Akuma blood allows him to heal quickly, and boosts his speed and strength. During the Ark arc, he gains the ability to remove the blood from his body and turn it into a living, virtually invulnerable replica of himself.
- Actually Not a Vampire: Though he looks a lot like one, he's actually pure human. However, he's the Acommadator for a parasite-type Innocence, which gives him a massive array of fangs and a strong instinct to drink the blood of Akuma. The fact that drinking blood literally increases his powers and even enables him to heal from mortal wounds doesn't really help him prove he's not a vampire.
- The Big Guy: One of the tallest Exorcists, and quite strong and resilient.
- Blood Knight: His other side is very much this trope."I live only for the pleasure of the kill!"
- Bloody Murder: After the Ark arc, he gains the ability to control his own blood as a weapon.
- Healing Factor: Consuming Akuma blood evidently allows him to regenerate his injuries, seen most prominently towards the end of his introductory arc, in which he survives being dehydrated to nothing more than empty skin wrapped around bones by the power of a level 2 Akuma and then restores himself to normal by draining it dry of blood.
- Horrible Judge of Character: He is way too trusting.
- Interrupted Suicide: In the manga only. After destroying Eliade, Krory feels that he has no reason or right to continue living anymore. So he provokes his carnivorous flowers and soon he, Allen and Lavi are all in mouth of one. It's Allen who snaps him out of it, telling Krory that if he becomes Exorcist everything would've been for greater good and her death would have a purpose.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: He had tried making friends with the villagers in the past, only to have them shout at him, threating to stab a stake through his heart. Then his Innocence activated and his reputation got worse. Before meeting Eliade the only company he had were his grandfather's man eating flowers.
- Naïve Newcomer: He was secluded for so long that he knows very little about the outside world.
- Our Vampires Are Different: He's technically not a vampire but he does have a number of vampiric powers due to his Innocence, including Super Strength, Super Speed, Super Toughness, the ability to increase all of these traits by ingesting more Akuma blood, and the ability to heal any wound by drinking blood.
- Put on a Bus: After his fight against Jasdevi, he's so exhausted that he spends almost all the subsequent arc in bed, unconscious. He made very few appearances since his awakening.
- Skunk Stripe: His forelock is pure white. When in his normal mode, it flops down like an exagerrated widow's peak; ironically, it rises up to Idiot Hair style when he gets into his other mode, which is far more clear-minded and vicious.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Bizarrely, considering that he's named after a real person.
- Split Personality: When he activates his Innocence, he goes from shy and gentle to cocky and aggressive.
- Suck Out the Poison: He can suck out Akuma poison from others if he drinks the victims's blood.
- Tuckerization: He is named after Aleister Crowley.
- What Have I Become?: At first, he had no idea that the people he was attacking were Akuma, and he believed himself to be a monster.
Voiced by Megumi Toyoguchi (JP), Ami Koshimizu (JP, 2016 anime), Colleen Clinkenbeard (EN)
A shy, clumsy and insecure German woman who was the subject of ridicule in her hometown due to her inability to hold down a job. She has been fired from over 100 jobs, and often feels useless because of this. When her clock caused the same day to repeat over and over in her town after she connected with Innocence inside it, Allen and Lenalee helped her to revert the time flow to normal. She joined the Black Order soon afterwards, determined to be a useful exorcist.Miranda's Innocence is the Time Record, which she can use to heal people and repair broken objects by reversing time. However, when she deactivates her power, the damage returns. Her Innocence also allows her to create a barrier of frozen time, negating attacks.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Subverted. After finishing her training, she makes her grand entrance wearing a tight black leather uniform that's quite a change from the demure outfits she usually wears. Then she trips up. Shortly after that, she freaks out and has a frantic apologising fit over doing something right, which shows she hasn't changed at all.
- Apologises a Lot: Doesn't she just.
- Ascended Extra: She was originally only supposed to appear in one arc, and she wasn't going to be an exorcist at all, but the author started to really like her character, so she joined the Order.
- Barrier Warrior: She is the only exorcist with a purely defensive Innocence.
- Beautiful All Along: At the beginning of the Rewinding Town arc, she looks unhealthy and much older than she is, but turns out to be quite pretty once she lets her hair down.
- Born Unlucky
- Brown Eyes
- Butt Monkey: She starts out as this.
- Christmas Cake: She is 25 years old when we first meet her.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: A little bit. She's... rather neurotic, to say the least, though considering what she went through you can't exactly blame her.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her hair and eyes are dark brown.
- Determined Defeatist: This says it all: "Even when I said I wouldn't try anymore, I kept on trying anyway."
- She made the entire trip to the Black Order HQ lugging around a Grandfather Clock as her luggage, and even climbed up a cliff with it strapped to her backnote
- The Eeyore: Initially, as she is rather gloomy and exhausted by virtue of being stucked inside a Ground Hog Day Loop. She grows out of it though.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Has them when she's first introduced, thanks to her insomnia. Not so much when we see her again in the later chapters.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: When we first meet her, her Innocence is causing the same day to keep repeating itself, and she is the only one who is aware of it.
- Guilt Complex
- Harmful Healing: What her Innocence ultimately amounts to. She doesn't so much heal injuries as temporarily remove them. When it's finally deactivated, the target will still have to face the full brunt of their injuries after (and depending on the severity, possibly even face their own death.)
- Healing Hands: A complicated case. She can use her Innocence to "reverse" recently inflicted wounds, but they'll start to reappear should she deactivate it or the person steps outside its area of effect (and if the wounds are fatal, then obviously they die). It's not limited to just people, either. Her power restores anything within its radius to prime condition, be it animate or inanimate.note For example, she returned a ship to seaworthy shape after it had be trashed in an Akuma battle.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation
- The Insomniac: Due to being high-strung, depressed, and jobless before becoming an Exorcist, she's learned how to go for weeks without any sleep. This is actually a pretty useful skill considering the nature of her powers, but it does kinda creep out the rest of the cast.
- The Klutz: She is very clumsy, though in a cute and funny way.
- Lethal Chef: She is shown to be this in a filler episode.
- Nervous Wreck
- No Sense of Direction: According to the fillers.
- Scars Are Forever: In the manga, she has scars on her hands that resemble stigmata. They seem to come from her introductory arc, when Rhode captured her and Lenalee and nailed Miranda's hands to a clock.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: After she recovers from the exhausting experience of her "Groundhog Day" Loop and dons the Black Order's clothes, she looks noticably younger and prettier.
- Shrinking Violet: Acts shy and nervous when first meeting someone.
- The Sixth Ranger: She joins the team after having been Put on a Bus for several arcs.
- Suicide as Comedy: When she uses her powers to repair a damaged ship, everyone stares at her in amazement. She immediately thinks she's messed up and tries to off herself by jumping into the ocean.
- Time Stands Still: She can do this within an area, preventing enemy attacks from reaching her.
- Tuckerization: She's named after Australian actress Miranda Otto.
- Unkempt Beauty: Ironically, she becomes this once Beautiful All Along kicks in.
- Woman in Black: As with Lenalee, the usual personality traits do not appear.
Voiced by Takeshi Aono (JP), Hochu Otsuka (JP, 2016 anime), R Bruce Elliott (EN)
Lavi's mentor. He is a short old man whose Facial Markings made him look like a panda according to Lavi. His anti-akuma weapon is a set of needles called Heaven's Compass.
- Badass Grandpa: His badass-ness was cemented when he managed to steal Kanda's hair tie and keep it away from him.
- Berserk Button: Calling him a panda is a bad idea.
- Cool Old Guy
- Facial Markings: Panda-esque rings around his eyes.
- Heroic Neutral: Much better at this than Lavi
- Miniature Senior Citizens: He's shorter than most of the other Exorcists.
- No Name Given: Bookman is simply a title.
- Papa Wolf: Just see his reaction when Eshi tried to kill Lavi.
- Tsundere: non-romantic towards Lavi, as he was crying when Lavi came back from the Ark.
Voiced by Hiroshi Yanaka (JP), Justin Cook (EN)
A cheerful 18 year old exorcist from Bodrum, Turkey. His anti-akuma weapon is the Charity bell. He was one of the first exorcists to be killed by Tyki.
- Adaptation Expansion
- Facial Markings
- Famous Last Words: "...At least I was never bored."
- I Know Madden Kombat: his fighting style is based on soccer by kicking his anti-akuma weapon.
- In the Hood
- It Amused Me: His motivation is to never be bored.
- Magic Music: His anti-akuma weapon used soundwaves to tear apart several low level akuma at once.
- Small Town Boredom
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Is killed off in the same chapter he's introduced.
- Wrecked Weapon: A shame as his was one of the coolest.
Voiced by Kiyoyuki Yanada (JP), Yasuhiro Mamiya (JP, 2016 anime), Ray Gestaut (EN)Noise Marie is a blind exorcist who has excellent hearing. His anti-akuma weapon is a bunch of strings which he can use to ensnare akuma. He also lost 2 of his fingers to a level 4 akuma's bullet.
- Bald of Awesome
- Disability Superpower: He may be blind, but he has extravagant hearing.
- Fingore: Cuts off his own fingers when they're hit by an Akuma's bullets to keep the infection from spreading.
- Handicapped Badass: He's blind, but still kicks butt.
- Magic Music
- Meaningful Name
- Musical Assassin
- Nice Guy: Just like his master, Tiedoll, Marie is very caring for others.
- Razor Floss: His anti-akuma weapon.
- Super Senses: He's blind, but his hearing is most likely the best of any of the characters. This causes him some problems when he ends up on the wrong end of a Level 4 Akuma screaming its lungs out. He winds up curled up in a corner, pretty much totally paralyzed.
Voiced by Mamoru Miyano (JP), Ian Sinclair (EN)One of the surviving members of Anita's crew. While inside Noah's Ark, he manages to synchronize to one of the Innocence and ends up joining the Exorcist.
- Anime Hair: Once he unties his ponytail.
- Bad Liar:
- The Mole: Fiddler is using the parasite in his body to spy on the Order.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: He's taken this stand against Allen in the wake of the break out.
- Super Strength: the power of his innocence, Arms of Baptism.
- Survivor's Guilt: One of the very few crew members to have survived the attack.
- Undying Loyalty: To Anita and his friends.
Voiced by Ryouta Asari (JP, 2016 anime)
Yu Kanda's childhood friend and thus another product of the Black Order's experimental Second Exorcist program. In Kanda's flashbacks, he's shown as cheerful, a bit silly, optimistic boy who talks a lot (too much in Kanda's opinion) and who's big fan of mayonnaise. They didn't really get along at first, but after some Bloody Hilarious moments they became friends. Apparently enduring everything became little easier for them after that...up to certain point.He doesn't appear in the anime until D.Gray-man: Hallow was confirmed in 2016. Now we get to watch him suffer in high definition.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: Became part of the Third Exorcist Project, where in he became part Akuma.
- Artificial Human: His body at least.
- Badass Gay: He's a very dangerous opponent and he loves the very male Kanda.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Look at that picture. Considering how other characters' eyebrows look like they were plucked, his really stand out.
- Brain Transplant: As part of the "Second Exorcist" program, Alma's brain was transplanted into an artificial body after his original body died.
- Break the Cutie
- Cheerful Child
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kanda.
- Convenient Coma
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: He dies in Kanda's arms.
- Dissonant Serenity: When he sees Kanda after murdering the scientists in the Asia Branch.
- Facial Markings: Somehow gets these after waking up from the said coma, along with Holy Halo and a tail.
- Gender Bender: Alma is actually a woman whose brain got transplanted into a male artificial body after her death.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: When he discovers the "Second Exorcist" process.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: When he was a child, he always waited eagerly for the other subjects to wake up and become his friends. When Kanda woke up, Alma tried his best to befriend him, but Kanda's bad attitude made it difficult.
- Keet: He was very cheerful and silly boy before going batshit crazy.
- Many Spirits Inside of One: If we're to take the manga artwork literally, he has his own soul in his body plus the soul of the woman he was in his past life. It's complicated.
- Meaningful Name: Could be coincidental (or not...) on author's part, considering her usual naming choices, but Alma means soul in few languages. Karma explains itself.
- Official Couple: For a short time, with Kanda.
- One-Winged Angel: His parasite-type Innocence is literal example of this. It's no less deadly though◊ .
- Power Tattoo: Just like Kanda, he has a tattoo on his chest that is the seal of his Second Exorcist regenerative abilities.
- Reincarnation Romance: He is the reincarnation of Kanda's past lover. Despite being a man now, Alma still loves Kanda and once Kanda finds out the truth, he has no problems with falling in love with him again. It doesn't end well.
- Slasher Smile
- Stalker Without A Crush: When they were children, Alma would follow Kanda around to try and befriend him. Kanda even called him a stalker.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Kanda. Twice, on top of that.
- Super Soldier
- Sympathetic Murderer
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Walking Spoiler: There's not much that can be said about Alma without spoiling some really major things, since he's very important character regarding Kanda.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has purple hair.
- Younger Than He Looks: Like Kanda, Alma's artificial body ages more rapidly than a regular human. He looks like 20, but has lived for only ten years.
Voiced by: Sayuri Yahagi (JP, 2016 anime)
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Demonic Possession: Inverted. He can possess Akuma, though only up to Level 2 ones so far.
- Inelegant Blubbering: When he says goodbye to the lady at the orphanage who took care of him.
- Jerk With A Heartof Gold: Is abrasive, but turned to crime to help the orphanage.
- Justified Criminal
- Heartwarming Orphan
Allen's Trickster Mentor, one of the five Generals, and an incredible Bad Ass. He has a rather sociopathic habit of racking up enormous amounts of debt and weaseling out of paying it, usually by foisting it off on Allen instead. He also doesn't especially like the rules the rest of the Order wants him to follow, and stays far away from headquarters as much as possible just because he's contrary. However, he's not a complete Jerk Ass; he does care for Allen (albeit in what is often a really twisted way) and he's made himself an incredible pain to the Earl in the course of Walking the Earth, such that the Earl had Jasdevi sent after him. Cross left them a $10,000 debt to pay.His Innocence is a gun called Judgment, and he kicks ridiculous amounts of ass with it. He also controls an undead woman with parasite-type Innocence called Grave of Maria, and has a so-far-unexplained ability to turn Akuma good.
- Adaptational Villainy:
- The anime did this with Cross' treatment of Allen. The anime has Cross asking Allen to bring him lions, selling him into slave labor, and at one point, pinning him to a wall to take his money. The scene reminiscent of a pimp and prostitute, including Allen asking Cross how long he's going to be forced to make money for him. Also, the latter scene happened while Cross was living in a palace with a Maharajah's widow. Thus, he wasn't in dire need of money at that point. Manga-wise, Allen said he gambled if they really needed money. None of the aforementioned scenes happened, or were hinted.
- There's also the scene where guards drag Allen away from Cross in HQ, and Cross waves him off, while smirking and humming. In the manga, the latter things with Cross didn't happen. All Cross does is watch, thinking it was quick.
- Episode 27 has another, Cross is said to have taken money from a woman when her boyfriend came after him. He is shown being a lover to a rich widow, and Allen states Cross has a thing for rich women. In the character book from Hoshino Katsura, Cross is stated as liking good women, not rich women.
- The Alcoholic: All but outright stated he's drowning his sorrows, given the amount of alcohol in his old room, and his character quote in the official fanbook."Sake is the best medicine."
- Badass Bookworm: He was a scientist before joining the order and had in-depth knowledge behind the Noah and the 14th. Innocence sometimes match up with the wielder. Klaud was a beast master in a circus, so her innocence is a monkey, whom she uses a whip for. So, it's possible Cross had experience with guns before becoming an Exorcist. He also has a few casual physical strength feats. He's able to easily lift Allen, who weighs 121 pounds at the least, and toss him a good distance with only one hand.◊ And in chapter 206, he's shown kicking a table in half in one go.◊ Then later, while doing laundry, cracking a wooden washtub with his bare feet.◊
- Badass Longcoat: And he really likes it. When a level 4 Akuma pretty much destroys the HQ and kills lots of people, he attacks and, with the help of Allen and Lenalee, kills it. He says he didn't care about all the dead people; but it messed up his clothes. he then gets another long coat later.
- Barbarian Longhair: Boy is it ever. And in an omake scan at the end of one of the volumes, shows Cross naked—no genitals shown, and his legs are hairy as well◊.
- Casual Kink: in the anime, Cross makes a comment, showing he's ok with it. When HQ is attacked, Klaud, a fellow general, tells him to do some work. Cross scoffs at this, stating he hates work. Klaud asks him if she's going to have to whip him, to which he responds that it wouldn't be a bad idea, and that he'd rather be spending time with a good woman than fighting.
- Chivalrous Pervert:
- He flirts with lots of girls, but does care for those he scores with. He was very unhappy to learn what happened to Anita, to start. Allen says he lives off lovers in different places. He also has keepsakes from some of his lovers under his bed at mother's house, as stated in Jump SQ. So, if they allow him to stick around a bit, and give him things which he hangs on to-and puts away, then it seems to show he does form bonds with his lovers, and is capable. Word of God states one of his likes is "good women." If he dehumanized, and used women in general, a good one from a bad one probably wouldn't matter. Nothing seems to hint that he mistreats women in any way, contrary to The Casanova.
- Klaud is shown as kind and compassionate, but she's not very friendly with Cross. Regardless, Cross states she's always a nice woman, even if she's not nice to him.
- Convenient Coma: This appears to be his fate at the moment. Chapter 222, Road has witnessed his conversation with Allen, in Neah's sub-conscious. She seems happy that Allen will go to the mansion Cross pointed him to, then goes on to say she wants Cross to sleep until then.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red hair and eyes.
- Cuteness Proximity: Lenalee invokes this in him."She's too cute, I can't refuse"
- The Dandy:
- Shortly after dropping Allen upon their reunion, Cross discards the last of his disguise, and starts to smooth his hair, to get it how he wants it. He then yells at Allen and Lavi for being filthy, stating he doesn't want filthy things near him, unless it's a woman. He also claims he was killing an akuma because it ruined his clothes. The seriousness of that comment is up for debate.
- It's questionable if some of this is an act, or if he can get over his dandiness if need be. When he hides out in Edo, he's staying on a farm it seems. He's sitting on a porch, surrounded by chickens. He also stays with Mother, and old acquaintance. her living quarters are big, but the place looks old and worn. Not exactly fancy. But Cross is perfectly at home, and has his own room there, and will drink wine straight from the bottles.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: His complete and utter reluctance to do anything useful.
- Ethical Slut: Sleeps around, but is still a gentleman. Anita, one of his lovers seemed to love him. She also tells us her mother loved him. Cross also believes Anita to be a good woman, regardless of her status as a prostitute. His character profile states he likes "good" women, which he said Anita is. So, he's, apparently, not a someone who dehumanize prostitutes, and just likes a nice woman in general.
- Fatal Flaw: Cute girls apparently. He was going to run off again after being back at The Order, following four years of absence. What kept him there was Lenalee hugging him and asking that he not leave again. While there, he got into quite a bit of trouble. He was interrogated, investigated, and kept under surveillance. A major problem being that it was easy for Appocryphos to find, and attempt to assassinate him, while he's stuck at The Order. All this trouble because Lenalee asked him to stay, whom he says was too cute to refuse. Allen theorizes the entire reason Lenalee was put on Cross' team was for that reason.
- The Gunslinger: He uses a ridiculously powerful revolver by the name of Judgment. However, either Apocryphos made it reject him or he is truly dead.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It seems he can be very cool and composed if need be. But there are times when he's prone to showing a bit of a violent temper. Such as him having to nurse Allen back to health. Allen is unresponsive, thus Cross has to cook for him, feed him, and do his laundry. Cross' response to Allen not eating is kicking in a table and screaming. He washes the laundry with his feet, and stomps hard enough to crack the wash tub. Ba Ba tries to warn him, but Cross ignores him and continues stomping. He gets furious with Allen in a back-story novel, D.Gray-Man Reverse, and in response to his rage he punches Allen in the face, and pulls his gun on him. Tim hits him to stop him from shooting. He has an important meeting with Allen, and drops some very distressing news on him. Allen is frozen in shock for a minute, and Cross, frustrated at Allen's unresponsiveness, responds by slapping him hard enough to knock him to the floor. Later in the meeting, Allen becomes angered by Cross' parting words. He tries to get Cross to wait, then resorts to throwing Tim and hitting him. Cross seethes in anger, then goes to attack Allen, with a Crow guard holding him back.
- The Hedonist: His methods of blowing off steam, or dealing with troubles seems to be smoking, drinking, and women.
- I Did What I Had to Do: He seems to want to protect humanity, and General Yeager praises his will to destroy Akuma. However, he has made some sacrifices in the journey. Later in the manga, it's shown he apparently regards it as Dirty Business During events of chapter 167, when facing up to Allen's fate, he outright asks himself "Do you always have to sacrifice something to protect something else?" Seems to show Cross has done that alot, and he does not find any enjoyment in it. It's just that the sacrifices he makes are for a greater purpose.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He has shown he has his Jerk Ass moments. But, he's not a complete jerkass. The manga has shown many hints and instances to illustrate that Cross isn't heartless, and while many people aren't fond of him, there's many people who apparently think very highly of him. Allen says he lives off lovers and acquaintances. So he's apparently someone you could be fond of, and even want to help, should he care to show his kinder side. He's shown protectiveness, empathy, sadness, concern, and hesitation to fire against an enemy, at expense of a fellow Exorcist. Although, all of these are shown when it comes to Allen and women. He could very well be a victim of Jerk Ass Facade. But we haven't seen enough of his character yet.
- Large and in Charge: At 6'4, Cross is one of the tallest protagonists in the series and one of the most powerful.
- Mask Power: His opera mask can transform his face and voice into a skull, at the least. He can confuse them with it, despite Skulls having a hive mind-esque connection to each other.
- Meaningful Name: His name seems to be a reference to The Marian Cross Also, he seems to be most affiliated with crosses than any other character. His name. He created Tim, who has a cross ◊ on him. He wears a cross ◊ necklace◊, and his mask◊ has a cross on it.
- Mooching Master: His 15-year old apprentice pays his debts, and made money for both of them when they lived together.
- Necromancer: He has two Innocence, a gun and the Grave of Maria◊, which is actually a Parasitic type Innocence attached to some woman's dead body, which Cross controls with magic. Many fans theorize Maria was a lover of Cross' when she was alive, but Hoshino hasn't revealed the history behind her as of yet.
- Never Found the Body: Which leads to speculations that He's Just Hiding.
- Recent chapter 222 finally confirms that he is alive, fifty-four chapters after his disappearance. It's hinted that he may be comatose however. But the trope still applies. We know he's alive and sleeping, stated by Road. But where his body is has not been revealed
- Nice Hat
- Older Than They Look: He's been allied with Neah for over 35 years, Winters and Klaud are forty and thirty-five respectively, so Cross has been in the war since they were children. In an extra, Komui's Talk Corner #3, the characters debate Cross' age. Johnny says he looks to be in his late twenties, but that he has to be at least forty. Tyki says he's making himself look scarily young. Wisely then asks Allen-who says his master hasn't aged a year since he met him. He then says it's scary, after calling Cross a monster. Hoshino herself, keeps his age hidden in the character info.
- Parental Substitute: When Cross found Allen, he spent quite a lot of time with Mother to raise Allen himself when he says he doesn't know how to care for a child, which leads him into learning how to cook and do laundry.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His hair covers his right eye.
- Pet the Dog: Some moments with Allen, and comments made by him. Also, Anita's praise, and attitude toward him, and telling us that her mother felt the same. His protecting Lenalee on the ark, then agreeing to stay at HQ because she wanted him to. For now, Allen and girls seem to show Cross' softer side.
- A big one in recent chapter 222, Cross speaks with Allen in Nea's dream world/memories. He tells Allen that he never wished for him to die. He wants Allen to accept his fate of disappearing because if he resists, he will suffer more. He then tells Allen that if he's scared, he's stay with him because he is still his master, and that he's cleaned Allen soiled sheets once before.
- Revolvers Are Just Better
- Sleep Cute: Pulls one off in chapter 206.
- Smoking Is Cool: Boy, is it ever.
- Stoic Spectacles:
- Story-Breaker Power: He hands Noahfied!Tyki his ass so hard that the Earl has to pull a Big Damn Villains to bail him out, is one of the only two people (the other being the Earl) who can use Magic, and to devastating effect, has a gun with unlimited ammo and no need to reload with homing bullets that never stop until they hit their target AND that gun has a Super Mode that increases it firepower by 300%. There is a reason even the Earl is reluctant to have a fight with this guy.
- Superpower Lottery
- Too Many Belts: Have you looked at his pants◊?
- Trickster Mentor: He really does love Allen. Word of God says Cross cares for him like his own child. But, Cross roughs him up alot, because he likes Allen's dark side, as Hoshino stated, which is closer to real Allen, as opposed to the repressed boy be became after Mana's death.
A middle-aged exorcist general who cares deeply for his disciples. He is an artist and has the anti-akuma weapon Maker of Heaven (or, depending on the translation, Maker of Eden).
Voiced by Takaya Hashi (JP), Jerry Russell (EN)
- A Father to His Men: He starts crying when his students in the Ark are presumed dead and calls them his sons.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A very sweet man. But nothing to be played with.
- Cultured Badass: He loves art, and is often seen painting or drawing.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Gaia's Vengeance: His power in a nutshell.
- Nice Guy
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Scary Shiny Glasses
- When Trees Attack: He basically turns his Innocence into a wooden Humongous Mecha at one point.
The only female exorcist general. She was formerly an animal trainer before becoming an exorcist. Her anti-akuma weapon is that cute little monkey that rides around on her shoulder that turns into a 10 foot tall giant lightning throwing monkey.
Voiced by Masako Katsuki (JP)
- Awesome McCool Name
- Action Girl: As the only female general.
- Berserk Button: The reason she comes off as she does in her introductionary arc is because she 'really doesn't like Cross, who keeps flirting with her.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- Friend to All Children: She's taken up teaching Timothy after he joins the Order, and is shown to be much nicer than previously potrayed.
- Lady of War: She's gentle and cool, and can use her whip to wreak havoc with her monkey.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: That little monkey riding on her shoulder can transform into an anti-akuma weapon, specifically, a huge, Badass looking monster that fire energy blasts from its hands.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her hair covers the scarring on the left side of her face.
- Punny Name
- Scars Are Forever
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's cool, calm and can be quite the Deadpan Snarker at times, but cares deeply about others, and is seen crying when the exorcists on her team are killed.
A former executioner who is now an exorcist general. His anti-akuma weapon is called Madness.
Voiced by Norio Wakamoto (JP)
- Ax-Crazy: His Innocence weapon is called Madness...that should tell you something.
- Blood Knight: Really happy when fighting Akuma, unlike most exorcists.
- BFS: His Innocence manifests in the shape of a double edged huge jagged blade.
- Improbable Weapon User: A huge-ass double-bladed saw. Of Doom.
- Jerkass: "Bunch of losers. I have nothing to say to them." He's talking about his team. They were all killed by Tyki.
- Mask Power: At until he removed it and hasn't worn it since. And it was a creepy one too.
- Sociopathic Hero
One of the generals who was killed by Noah in their search of Heart. He was a school teacher before he became a general.
Voiced by Kiyoshi Kawakubo (JP), Bill Jenkins (EN)
- Adaptation Expansion: His role in the manga is mostly as a plot device. Most of his characterization comes from filler in the anime.
- A Father to His Men
- Badass Grandpa
- Badass Teacher: Before he was an exorcist.
- Cool Teacher
- Friend to All Children
- Go On Without Me: He holds back 2 of the Noah while his team escapes. This sadly ends in his capture and eventual death.
- Killed Off for Real: He's killed by the Noah.
- Make an Example of Them: The Earl sends him back broken, insane and near death,singing the Earl's twisted lullaby .
- Mind Rape: Thanks Road, for making him see how he failed to protect his students.
- Nice Guy
- Real Men Can Cook
- Supreme Chef
- Variable-Length Chain: His Innocence.
- The Worf Effect: He is easily defeated by Tyki and Road, showing himself to be by far the weakest General, as all of the other Generals can at least give them a good fight.
Other Black Order Members
The supervisor of the Black Order. After his younger sister Lenalee was forced to become an exorcist, he joined the Order to be with her. Although lazy and disorganized, he does what he can to help the exorcists, such as repairing damaged anti-Akuma weapons.
- Bad Boss: A rare example in that he's not actively malevolent towards his underlings, he's just incredibly exasperating, what with the weird behavior, tendency to duck out of work, knack for complicating or causing problems and willingness to impede others from solving messes he's created (like drugging Allen to keep him from destroying Komlin II when it attacks him). Perhaps because of this, they're still pretty loyal to him, though.
- Berserk Button: Telling him that Lenalee is getting married.
- Big Brother Instinct: He is freakishly overprotective of Lenalee. Even his own underlings worry about just how devoted to her he is.
- Bishounen: In Lenalee's flashbacks to the period before she became an exoricst he's shown to be quite the looker.
- Brainy Specs: Komui doesn't need his glasses at all - his eyesight is fine. He wears them to help hide his sad expression when his sister is sent to the battlefield.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He can be pretty competent when push comes to shove. Doesn't stop him from being a wigged out loony the rest of the time, though.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: With all those wacky inventions and his tendency to drift into his own little world, it's safe to say he's at least a mild version of this.
- Heavy Sleeper: The only way to wake him is to say Lenalee's getting married.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Oh good lord, so much. Mostly played for laughs.
- Mad Scientist
- Man Child
- Must Have Caffeine: And how. Doesn't stop him constantly falling asleep over his paperwork though.
- Nice Hat
- Promotion to Parent: He and Lenalee lost their parents to Akuma.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Unlike most of the Black Order, he genuinely cares about the Exorcists.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: His latest creation Komulin EX is a tad bit too emotive for a machine. Allen of all people, takes advantage of this…
- Running Gag:
- His robots and other Mad Scientist whatnots going berserk.
- Also being woken up by the quote "Lenalee's getting married." It never fails.
- Trash of the Titans: His perpetually messy office. And by "perpetually messy," we mean that you can't see the floor for all the papers on it, save for a path cleared to the desk. On said desk, the papers are generally piled so high that you can't see Komui behind them.
The long suffering section chief of the science devision. He likes soda and dislikes cigarettes and alcohol. Since he works for Komui, his entire division is incredibly overworked.
- Awesome Aussie: Downplayed, but still has a badass side. He was revealed to be Australian in the manga, has survived stuff that would kill a man several times over, and kicks Komui's ass like a demon when he has to. Subverted in the dub of the anime, where was just given an American accent, either from lack of research or laziness.
- Badass Normal
- Beleaguered Assistant
- Berserker Tears: When Tup is made a skull.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Often stuck with keeping Komui in line.
- Mauve Shirt
- Nice Guy
A short, crybaby scientist at the Black Order. Often seen working with Tup Dop.
Voiced by Tomohiro Tsuboi (JP), Mitsuhiro Ichiki (JP, 2016 anime), Christopher Bevins (EN)
- Ascended Extra: Finally starts to have some plot relevance after more than a hundred chapters when he leaves to order to look for Allen.
- Lame Excuse: He gives one to explain why he's resigning from the Order.
- Mauve Shirt
- My Greatest Failure: Has been moving in this direction regarding Tup's Skull-ification and death and his begging Allen for help during the attack.
- Non-Action Guy
- Odd Friendship: With Suman.
- Older Than They Look: Believe it or not, he's around the same age as Tyki.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses
- Say My Name: Spends a good deal of the Alma Karma Arc screaming Allen's name dramatically.
- Took a Level in Badass: From the pinnacle of uselessness to competently trying to knock out Crow members and now allieng with Kanda to look for Aleen.
- Undying Loyalty: Toward Allen.
Another Science Division member. He works with Johnny.
Voiced by Kan Tanaka (JP), Christopher Sabat (EN)
The Director of Asia branch. Also one of the few higher positioned Black Order members who actually get along with Allen, as Bak has shown great deal of concern for his wellbeing. He's compassionate -if a bit egoistical- man who helps Allen recover his Innocence after Tyki destroys it. Despite his (relatively) harmless habit of stalking Lenalee, Bak seems to be friends with Komui. It might have something to do with that they both care about exorcists and think that they're more than just tools for Black Order to use.
- Character Tics: Breaking out in hives whenever he's Lenalee is mentioned or he is in proximity of her.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He was in one of the novels before appearing in the actual series.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Komui calls him "Bak-chan" (which is pronounced the same way as Bak Chang in Japanese).
- Nice Guy
- Nice Hat: He also wears For's summon stone on it.
- Older Than They Look: He's 29 when we first meet him.
- Power Tattoo: He has tattoos on both his upper arms, which seem to have a connection to For.
- Stalker with a Crush: For Lenalee.Who happens to be half his age. And according to the fanbook he's had this crush for several years.
- Third-Person Person: Apparently you don't need to be evil to have huge ego and think highly of yourself- Bak refers to himself as Bak-sama sometimes.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: He looks almost exactly like his father Edgar.
A 18 year old trainee in the Asian branch, who is always hanging out with Li Kei and Shifu. Was severely lovestruck when meeting Allen and hasn't got better since then.
Voiced by Maaya Sakamoto (JP)
- Blind Without Them
- Love at First Sight
- Spell My Name with an "S": She is Chinese, so combined to the anime's pronounciation the most logical transcription for her name (蝋花) would be "Là Hua" but Rohfa is by far the most common spelling among fans. For some reason the French edition of the manga writes it Zhà Hua.
- Through His Stomach: How she tries to get Allen's attention. It works… more or less.
The temperamental guardian of Asia branch. Saved Allen's life by bringing him to their hideout when she found him on the brink of death after his encounter with Tyki. Since she is actually a spirit, For can maintain physical form for only some period of time. So when she gets tired, her body becomes transparent as well.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Fiery Redhead: She has her moments.
- Older Than They Look: Much, much older.
- Spell My Name with an "S": For/Fo/Fou, Word of God is that it's For, but most fans still prefer to use Fou.
- Tough Love: Towards Allen.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Uses this to turn her arms into blades, or take on the appearance of other people.
Head of the North-American branch. Her family, along with that of Bak directed the Second Exorcist project. Herself was put in charge of the Third Exorcist project, decided to make up both for the ridiculously small number of exorcists and the rare, random appearances of Accomodates.
Voiced by: Sachi Kokuryu (JP, 2016 anime)
- Amazonian Beauty: A mild example. She is 180cm tall and her hobby is bodybuilding according to the databook. So she appears to be pretty muscular, at least until…
- Art Evolution: When she appeared (volume 14). Just before the year-long hiatus (volume 19). After the hiatus (ditto). In only 5 volumes she has changed quite a bit.
- Hot Scientist: Pretty in Mink too!
Malcolm C. Lvellie
Inspector General for the Vatican and member of a family that served the Black Order since its foundation. That included offering members of their own family as guinea pigs for forbidden experiences. Very astride on the rules, he will do absolutely anything to win the war against the Earl and imposes harsh restrictions on Allen out of suspicion regarding the latter's links to the Fourteenth.
Voiced by Ryusuke Oobayashi (JP), Toru Okawa (JP, 2016 anime)
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: His personality is harsh enough, but with his moustache, it's hard not to think about… someone else.
- Guinea Pig Family: One of the reasons his family is so influential within the Order. Not that he is particularly happy about it.
- Large and in Charge: Although he too is obeying orders from above, he still has a high position. He is also stated to be 195cm tall and nearly 100kg. That makes for quite a formidable figure.
- Mood Whiplash: Hello, Lenalee, we haven't seen each other since I traumatized you. You are so terrified you can't even talk… but anyway, I made delicious pastries, who wants some!
- Not So Different: Lvellie seems to hate the Innocence and/or the Order, what makes him uncannily similar to Lenalee.
- Rage Against the Heavens
- Spell My Name with an "S": Lvellie? Levellier? Luberier? Who knows? Chapter 202 confirmed it is Lvellie.
- Supreme Chef: His pastries are famously delicious and he even wrote a book on the topic. Allen would probably be fond of these if they weren't made by the guy who put him under surveillance and suspected him of heresy.
- Take a Third Option: He states that his main motivation is that the Humanity wins the war on itself and gets free of both God and the Earl. He looks kinda creepy when he says it, so it could be all lies or psychotic delusions.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: A possible interpretation of his character.
- Wham Line: "Ignore Walker. He requires help. He... "the 14th". / Cross Marian made a secret pact with me and told me everything."
- Wild Card: Wants to use Allen for his own goals (specifically, the 14th awakening so he can help him. This requires him to actually physically protect Allen.
Voiced by: Shinnosuke Tachibana (JP)Inspector for the Vatican and Malcolm Lvellie's right hand man. Introduced in Chapter 135, he is charged with keeping an eye on Allen Walker at all times.
- Art Evolution: Compare him at his debut to his design in the most recent chapters.
- Badass Normal: Can briefly hold his own against Apocryphos and the Earl with little more than incendiary paper tags.
- Big Eater
- Character Development: He goes from a flat follower to a character who has his own opinions and morals.
- Church Militant: For a time, with the Black Order.
- Consummate Professional: Remains professional despite the circumstances.
- Conveniently an Orphan: He was an orphan when he was taken in by the Crows.
- Deadpan Snarker: He snarks while remaining his stoic demeanor.
- Defector from Decadence: Has left the Black Order by faking his death.
- Defrosting Ice King: Warms up to Allen a lot.
- Detect Evil: He can tell the 14th is in control of Allen by sensing his "Ki".
- Faking the Dead: He faked his own death.
- Funny Background Event: The book he is reading on this page is the pastry book written by Lvellie, presented on volume 17's cover omake.
- Hidden Badass: He hides it until later on in the manga, but he's capable of restraining the Big Bad for a time.
- Only Mostly Dead: Nearly killed, but was saved just in time.
- Not So Stoic: He's more serious-like than unemotional.
- Real Men Wear Pink: A more mild example, he is quite the baker.
- Smart People Play Chess
- The Comically Serious: His interactions with Allen show this a lot.
- The Stoic: His bread and butter.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Starts out as The Stoic, especially towards Allen, but he eventually warms up to him.
- Supreme Chef
- Unusual Eyebrows
- Warrior Monk: Of a sort. He has some combat and magic ability.
- Younger Than They Look: He's 19.
Third Exorcist Program
Voiced by Takuya Eguchi (Madarao), Soma Saito (Tokusa), Rie Suegara (Tewaku), Kazutomi Yamamoto (Kiredori), Kenji Nomura (Goushi) (JP)
- Action Girl: Kiredori and Tewaku.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Goushi. When the Alma cells started to take over his body, he begged for Lenalee to save him. It turns out to be Mercy Kill on her part.
- An Arm and a Leg: Tokusa loses both arms to Tykki in a confrontation.
- Anti-Hero: Each of them is considerably more ruthless that most of the already seen Exorcists.
- Badass Long Robe: Part of their uniform. The rest consists of a Sarashi and a Nice Hat.
- The Big Guy: Goushi.
- Blood Knight: Tokusa seems to revel in his abilities in a way the others don’t.
- Body Horror: When Alma's cells start taking control over their bodies, they deform quite grotesquely and extremely painfully.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Tokusa’s attack on Allen while under the control of the effect of Alma’s cells.
- Cannibalism Superpower: They have the ability to transforms their left arm, causing the flesh to part away and reveal a core of Dark Matter within their forearm and a hole in their palm, through which they can create a vortex that resembles a black hole. This can be used to absorb an Akuma directly, or to spread a dark, shadowy quagmire across the ground which will swallow up any Akuma in the vicinity.
- Creepy Child: Kiredori. It’s not intentional and definitely not of her own volition.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tokusa .
- Emotionless Girl: Kiredori. Tewaku as well at times.
- Eyes Always Shut: Not always, but Tokusa is pretty close.
- Face–Heel Turn: It really depends on how much it was voluntary, but Tewaku, Tokusa and Madarao seem to have joined forces with the Noah. The three aid Tykki and Road in freeing Allen from prison.
- Facial Markings: Their eye makeup and the dots on their foreheads.
- Hellish Pupils: Kiredori.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Tokusa had shades of it.
- The Stoic and The Quiet One: Goushi and Madarao.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Tewaku has shades of it.
- Super Soldiers
- Mercy Kill: Goushi by Lenalee, Kiredori by Socalo (believe it or not).
- Number Two: Either Tokusa or Tewaku.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green in Tokusa’s case, and blue in Madarao's.
The Millennium Earl
The Big Bad of the series, the Earl of Millennium (mostly known as the Millennium Earl to Western fans) doesn't look very dangerous due to his cartoonish appearance and cheerful attitude. However, looks are deceiving and this guy is responsible for the death of millions because of his Akuma.He usually appears before a person grieving the loss of a loved one and politely offers to bring back the deceased back to life. If the offer is accepted, however, the Earl imprisons the soul in a ominous-looking black metal skeleton. The captured soul will then usually berate and curse the person who agreed to the deal...until the Earl completely takes control of the new Akuma and orders him/her to kill the other and wear their skin as a human disguise. Only Allen's cursed eye is able to see who's really an Akuma in a skin.
Voiced by Junpei Takiguchi (JP), Yutaka Aoyama (JP, 2016 anime), Jason Liebrecht note & Todd Haberkorn note (EN)
- Acrofatic: It's a disguise.
- Affably Evil: He´s basically a father figure to the Noah, is extremely polite and seems to forgive all of Allen´s actions because of the fact that He has the 14th´s memories. He also shows in the Destruction of the Order arc that he is perfectly capable of wiping out the hero faction if he chooses to, yet doesn't, although he has become a lot more active as of late.
- Attention Whore: In chapter 188, Road and Wisely are seen commenting on the Earl's need to always be the center of attention.
- Ax-Crazy: While the Earl is weird, when acting malicious, he comes across as this especially in his true form. In chapter 218, he goes Up to Eleven wit this as he is literally unable to keep a solid form.
- BFS: His main weapon of choice and one that looks exactly like Allen's, only with a different color scheme.
- Big Bad Ensemble: One of the top villains in the series, but he's losing ground to the 14th and Apocryphos. In chapter 218, he's not even able to keep his composure once he meets Allen again.
- Bishonen Line: His real form is much more pleasant to the eye than the way we normally see him, to say the least.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Always.
- Deal with the Devil: Those who accept his offer to "bring back a loved one" do not end well...
- Evil Is One Big Happy Family: Yeah, he might be utterly insane Although he seems a lot more lucid in human form... but he's also a genuinely jolly old fellow who loves his family. His Person of Mass Destruction family, but his family nonetheless.
- Gentleman Adventurer: His human form has some air to this. (Hint: it's the hat).
- Hat Shop: He has a habit of wearing multiple hats to cover the horns on his head.
- Implacable Man: He has yet to suffer an injury of any kind; even the fake version summoned by Jasdevi that fought Krory and Allen showed no signs of damage during the entire fight.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Since Mana is one half of the Earl, the current Earl who is only made of Mana, lacking his other half, is technically this to Allen.
- Meaningful Name: His real name, Adam, can't be just by chance.
- Monster Clown: Although he doesn't look like one, he has been described as such.
- Nice Hat: He wears a different hat every time we see him.
- Nightmare Face: All of Chapter 218 seems to taking this Up to Eleven with this as he is literally is losing his ability to coherently think as well as maintain his shape.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: His cartoonish appearance belies how powerful he really is.
- Omnicidal Maniac: He's at least jolly about it his behavior in chapter 218 suggest he's far more unstable than he previously appeared.
- Perma-Stubble: When he's finally shown in human form.
- Person of Mass Destruction: The first attack he was ever shown using completely leveled Edo. And he hadn't gotten serious yet.
- Please Keep Your Hat On: Under that hat, the Earl has horns when he's in his nonhuman form.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's been alive since before Noah's flood and since his real name is 'Adam', may have been around a lot longer than that.
- Red Right Hand: Not that he needs it, but those hats are to cover up his horns.
- Satan: Has very clear aspects of this.
- Say It with Hearts: In nearly every single one of his speech bubbles except in his more human-looking form.
- Slasher Smile: Although he's always smiling, his smile looks like this when he's mad.
- Spell My Name with a "The"
- Stepford Smiler: It turns out in chapter 218, he has a lot of instability and hatred behind his jolly attitude.
- The Stoic: He always has a Cheshire Cat Grin even when he's angry, which looks shocking to say the least. Some chapters play with this trope as his face distorts into very bizarre shapes and more varied emotions.
- Technically a Smile: Although as of recent chapters, he shows much more emotions than he did previously.
- The Reveal: The Earl is actually both Mana and Neah, who were born after the past Earl, their former incarnation, disappeared.
- Villainous Breakdown:
- Losing the Arc is the first time his plans have suffered a major setback resulting in a terrifying Nightmare Face.
- In chapter 218, he LOSES it completely and for no reason other than meeting Allen again, convinced he's Nea. He doesn't just become upset, he literally goes insane and his form become even more monstrous than usual.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: His past revealed by a sudden flash of memory seems to suggest he has a lot more reason to hate Exorcists and Nea than simply Evil Is Petty.
One of the first Noah we meet, who is perpetually surrounded by a cloud of butterflies. The author admitted to creating him just because she wanted another really handsome guy to draw, and it shows. He is the Noah of Pleasure and originally lived as a homeless worker with his normal human friends while sometimes going back home to the Earl to do jobs (mainly killing people) because he thought it was fun. At the end of the Ark Arc, he was temporarily controlled by his Noah, which resulted in some new scars and long hair. Despite it being said that his Noah has 'awakened', the only significant change to his personality seems to be being very very cheerful around the hero.
Voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa (JP), Masakazu Nishida (JP, 2016 anime), Brad Hawkins (EN)
- Affably Evil: Hey, he's a pretty polite guy for someone who's supporting the End of the World as We Know It.
- Author Appeal: See the character description above. He's not unpopular among fans either.
- Ax-Crazy: What do expect from a guy who literally crushes your heart and uses Tease that eat people from the inside.
- Beat Still, My Heart: How he usually uses his Intangible Man powers.
- Beauty Mark: Underneath his left eye.
- Body Horror: He inflicted this on Allen, and his One-Winged Angel form has some aspects of this.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: The Tease (Teez? Teaz? Tese?) he carries around with him.
- Cool Big Sis: He´s like one to Road.
- Evil Feels Good
- Friendly Enemy: Ehhh, kinda. He took an interest in Allen after he learned that the kid had survived their first encounter, which eventually grew into genuine respect and fondness to the point he (along with Road) rescued Allan from a sentient innocence. It's very one-sided, however.
- Hero Killer
- Intangible Man: Tyki's special power as a Noah allows him to manipulate all matter of this world, though that is usually used to make him able to phase through things at will.
- Like Brother and Sister: All the Noah are family, but Tyki and Road in particular seem to treat each other like actual siblings (although, being The Tease, he has mock-flirted with her at least once) and seem to hang out on and off the job more than the others.
- Mr. Fanservice: Hey, the author herself wanted to make another handsome guy, so she made him.
- Nightmare Face: Holy mother of god◊, get me the fuck away from this guy.
- One-Winged Angel: And a scary one at that.
- Painted-On Pants: In his Noah outfit.
- Punch Clock Villain: Literally. When he's not on business for the Earl he works in a Portuguese mine together with a friend and an orphan. He's also a pretty good guy when he's not angry.
- Scars Are Forever: He has massive scars across his chest from his fight with Allen in the Ark.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: And how!
- Slasher Smile: The last thing you see before Tyki pulls your heart out without leaving a mark on your outer body is this.
- Smoking Is Cool
- Super-Powered Evil Side: A really terrifying knight with insect-like tentacles
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: He can also get pretty snarky.
- The Tease: Wait...
- Tranquil Fury: Road notes that this is when he is at his scariest.
- Walk on Water: His selective interaction ability allows him to do this.
The first Noah ever encountered by Allen, she has the appearance of a small girl with spiky black hair. However, she is called the oldest Noah by other members of the family, implying that she was the first to awaken as one. Road is the Noah of Dreams, allowing her to travel between dimensions and control the Ark. She was shown to have survived her whole body exploding into sand/dust in the Arc, and cannot be harmed by physical attacks unless they are inflicted from inside of her dreamworld.
- Affably Evil: She seems like a sweet girl around the Noah, who has a thing for lolipops and once asked Tyki to help her with her homework... she also caused a Akuma to self-destruct just to piss off Allen.
- The Bus Came Back: Returned in chapter 219, though in an energy sprite form that according to Wisely is the most she can muster at the moment, the aforementioned hit from Apocryphos having hurt her a LOT.
- Character Development: Interestingly, while she remains a Noah and averts Villain Decay, she seems to behave a little less sinister each time Allen meets her. She's gone from stabbing him in the eye the first time they met, to kissing him the second time, and now she's saved his life twice in the last few days because of her feelings for him. Her attraction to and concern for Allen appears to be the cause of her decreasingly antagonistic behavior, so it's likely she'd still be pretty scary if she was dealing with anyone but Allen. Of course proven when she attempts to Mind Rape Lavi.
- Creepy Child
- Creepy Doll: In chapters 187 and 188, Road is seen in the form of one of these.
- Daddy's Little Villain: Her relationship with the Millennium Earl is a perfect example of this trope.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dating Catwoman: What she'd certainly like to have with Allen.
- Deliberately Cute Child: She can fake being a cute little girl quite easily. Her human adoptive mother appears to be completely oblivious to Road's darker side. Then again, she's married to Sherril...
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She cares really deeply for her family. Also Allen, but then again, he is family.
- Even Evil Has Standards: She really didn't like the whole deal with Kanda's memories.
- Fanservice Pack: Compare Road's initial appearance to how she looks now. Slight difference, no? Rumour is that because Road's initial design led to so many questions from readers about whether she was male or female, Hoshino decided to make it more obvious.
- Finger-Lickin' Evil: Technically, she was licking one of her candles, but the effect was there.
- For the Evulz: Why she's willing to create a door that would allowing the exorcists trapped inside of the arc to escape, but the only way they can get to it is if they battle the Noah who are also inside of it. Really the only reason the others do it too. And she decided that messing with Allen would be more fun than others, that's why she chose him.
- Genki Girl: Albeit a rather creepy one.
- Little Miss Badass
- Mind Rape: What she does to Lavi while he is in her dreamworld. And also to Marshall Yeegar earlier in the series, also in her dreamworld. Heck, her dreamworld specialises in this.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She's all over Allen whenever she can possibly manage it.
- Older Than They Look
- Perky Goth
- Put on a Bus: Had been missing since she and Tyki bails Allen out of the Order, taking a hit from the Apocryphos in the process.
- Shotacon: It has recently been revealed that she has in fact looked twelve for the past thirty-five years, and she has a rather creepy affection for fifteen-year-old Allen Walker... Though given the recent revelation that Allen might also be older than he looks, this may be some strange case of both sides being legal jailbait instead.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Comments on how sweet Allen is for crying over a lost soul, and is later shown to be openly smitten with him. Of course, you can't really blame her.
- Slasher Smile: All members of the Noah family have sported one of these at some time or another, Road just does it more frequently.
- Villainous Crush: Interestingly, this seems to be a source of Character Development for her, since her crush on Allen makes her act nicer to him and help him out when he gets in a jam more than once.
- Villainous Rescue:
- When Allen was being consumed by Kanda's memories during his Journey to the Center of the Mind in chapter 192, Road stepped in and saved him for no apparent reason beyond affection.
- She also teamed up with Tyki to save Allen from being possessed by a sentient innocence...and even wound up Taking the Bullet (a rather painful-looking punch, in this case) for him!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Indigo. Though it's like this only in anime.
Jasdevi (Jasdero and Devit)
The Noah(s) of the Bonds, these twins have chased Cross Marian worldwide, getting more and more debt along the way. They're out to pass the debts on to Allen Walker. The twins' Noah ability is materialization, and shooting several different elements by mental will. If the two sing a song and shoot each other, they turn into their original form, Jasdevi. Krory fights them on the Ark.
Jasdero voiced by: Showtaro Morikubo (JP), Joel McDonald (EN)
Devit voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga (JP), Z. Charles Bolton (EN)
Devit voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga (JP), Z. Charles Bolton (EN)
- Bishōnen: Devit from the beginning, Jasdero gets in on the fun when they return.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Both of them.
- The Bus Came Back: In chapter 217, they are revealed to have survived their battle with Krory.
- Creepy Twins
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: They definitely care about each other if no one else. Post bus ride they are more often than not seen holding hands or being generally very close to each other. One can only assume that almost dying made their bond even stronger.
- Expy: Of the Wonder Twins, of all things.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Devit's pants.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: When they're not speaking in unison they tend to do this.
- The Gunslinger: Before they actually get serious about fighting.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Jasdero. Before the twins were put on a bus he looked...weird. Now he can give his brother a run for his money.
- The Hyena: Jasdero, hee-hee!
- Laughably Evil
- Mouth Stitched Shut: Jasdero, though it doesn't stop him from speaking in any way.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: As they come off as ridiculous and annoying brats, Exorcists hardly think of them as a threat. After being told off too many times by them, Jasdevi finally snap and remind the cast and viewers alike that they're freakin' Noah.
- Painted-On Pants
- Prehensile Hair: When combined into one.
- Put on a Bus: They disappeared for a long time after Krory defeated them.
- Rapunzel Hair: Again, when combined. Also Jasdero after the aforementioned bus comes back.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Jasdero is the red to Devit's blue.
- Single-Minded Twins: An actual superpower of theirs.
- Speak in Unison: They do this all the time.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Jasdebi/Jasdevi and Devito/Debito/David/Devit/Debitt. Word of God is that it's Devit for the latter. Presumably, based on that it will be Jasdevi for the former.
- Superpower Lottery: In theory, they may have the single most powerful ability in the series, being able to make anything they both think of at the same time come real. If they werent crazy Cloudcuckoolanders, they could use this to say, fill the entire room with lava or make their opponent's head explode.
- Tag Team Twins
- Those Two Guys
- Twin Telepathy: Capable of this is necessary.
Skinn Bolic is the Noah of wrath. He can turn into a giant golem who shoots lightning. He likes sweet things. He was a dock worker in New Orleans before his heritage surfaced. He also gets killed by Kanda during the Ark Arc.
- Berserk Button: "It's not sweet…"
- The Big Guy
- Body Horror: Whenever Kanda attacked him it tore off huge chunks of his body and left him covered in huge gashes. By the end of his battle both of his arms and half of his torso is gone.
- Facial Markings: Like all of the Noah.
- Killed Off for Real: The only Noah to do so.
- Lightis Not Good: His true form is golden, and his lightning creates a lot of light.
- Made of Iron: He survives several attacks from an exorcist who can cut a level 3.5 akuma in half!
- Mighty Glacier
- Psycho Electro: His power.
- Shock and Awe
- Sweet Tooth: Explained in a flashback that when he first regained his memories, he started biting off his own fingers. Road and the Millennium Earl gave him candy to calm him down.
- Tearsof Blood
- This Is Unforgivable!: His inner voice unrelentingly repeats this.
- Unstoppable Rage: He's the Noah of Wrath. Not that it stops Kanda from cutting through him like a piece of paper.
Lulu Bell is the Noah of Form (Noah of Lust is now known to be a mistranslation of the correct term) who led an attack on the Black Order H.Q. which caused the death of several people incuding Tup Dop. Lulu Bell can transform into anything she wants to.
- Adaptation Expansion: Appears much more frequently in the anime.
- Animal Motif: Cats.
- Captain Obvious: "Stop! If you damage the egg any further it will explode!" Well, yeah, that's kind of the purpose in case you hadn't noticed yet.
- Cats Are Mean: In the anime, she often appears as a black cat.
- Dark Action Girl
- Emotionless Girl: In her normal form, her Noah one is more expressive.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Lulu Bell awakened in the body of a French woman. Actually averted as she is the Noah of form, not Lust. And she doesn't do anything remotely sexy or seductive.
- Facial Markings: Like all of the Noah.
- Lady of War: She's calm and reserved, and her weapon is a more ladylike whip.
- Not So Stoic: When the Egg is destroyed. She later shed tears of rage.
- Petthe Dog: Her relationship with Mimi.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: She goes from blonde to brunette when she assumes her Noah form.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Her power.
- Whip It Good
Sherril is the Noah of Greed, and is Road's adopted father. He works as a government minister, and is very flamboyant. His ability is telekinesis.
- Doting Parent
- Evil Chancellor: As a trusted government minister, he's able to manipulate politics to help out the Noahs.
- Lolicon: Tyki suspects him to have married only so that he could "adopt" Road; that's probably not far from the truth.
- Mind over Matter: This is revealed to be Sherril's power as a Noah.
- No Sense of Personal Space: He merrily gets too close to Tyki and Road (his daughter she's just playing the part and is Older Than She Looks, but still), and also holds poor Tokusa while he uses his Noah ability to attack him.
- Papa Wolf: To Road. When Road disappeared, he went straight to torturing Lavi to get info out of Bookman.
- People Puppets: In recent chapters, he's shown using his telekinesis on members of the Order in this manner.
- Slasher Smile
- Spell My Name with an "S": As there's no official English spelling, fans vary between Sherril, Sheryl, Cyril, and plenty more.
- Stepford Smiler: For the most part, Sherril is always smiling in more or less the same way, his genial smile and Slasher Smile being virtually identical. When his true nature is showing through, however, his eyes convey it quite clearly.
Wisely is the last of the original Apostles of Noah to awaken. He's believed to be the Noah of Wisdom, and his ability as a Noah is his 'demon eye' which affects the brain.
Voiced by Soichiro Hoshi (JP)
- Cloudcuckoolander: He's still a big threat, but he seems a little more "out there" than many of the Noah.
- Exposition Beam: He uses one of these on Kanda and Allen in chapter 189.
- Extra Eyes: There are three extra eyes in his forehead.
- Mr. Exposition: Due to being the only Noah aside from the Earl who hasn't lost their memories, he fills in quite a bit about the original Noah.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: One chapter starts with him awakening as Noah- the page is colored and his hair is brown. It turns white the second his Extra Eyes show up.
- Telepathy: However, he has been unable to read one person, whose mind was too closed off even for him.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Your Head A Splode: He can crush people's brains at will.
One of the Noah that woke off-screen. Attacked Lavi and Bookman, and took them as hostages. Also injured Chaozii.
The 14th: Nea D. Campbell
A man who's shrouded in mystery. The 14th Noah. The only facts known about him so far are that he backstabbed his own family 35 years ago, killed almost all of them, failed with his biggest goal and was forced flee from Millennium Earl with his brother for years. He made a pact with cross Marian, and requested that he watch over Mana, until he returned one dayThe future host happened to be Allen, of all people. While it's unclear when exactly were the 14th's memories implanted to him, Allen just was unfortunate enough to be nearby when he diednote . He's now gradually taking over his host's body and mind.Presumably he's taking into account the general info and handful of appearances he's had. That, and the fact that Earl is still sore for his killing attempt, as 14th was his favorite among the Noahs.
- Big Bad Ensemble: He's out for blood against the Earl and he doesn't care about Apocryphos, but he's easily Allen's most personal antagonist.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Makes his first appearance during 59th chapter in Allen's ominous dream making rather creepy first impression. It can be passed off as nothing, as Allen doesn't seem think about the dream afterwards.
- Dissonant Serenity
- Doppelgänger: When he appears in Allen's mind, he looks almost exactly like Tyki Mikk. This was discussed in chapter 183, when Wisely saw Tyki and was surprised that he looked exactly like "that man".
- Enemy Within: He's one of these to Allen.
- Evil Laugh: When he laughs, even the ground rumbles. As seen in chapter 198.
- Evil Uncle
- The Faceless: Interestingly, he managed to do this twice; we have a brief, vague glimpse of his face when the Earl dreamed of him promising to always stay by his side and looking to be in his teens, and then we get a good look at him in his Noah form, pictured above, later...
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Chapter 215 reveals that, according to Nea at least, he and Allen were originally friends and Allen was the one who offered his body as Nea's new host. Judging by how hurt Nea looks after realizing Allen lost his memories, it's pretty safe to assume their friendship was strong and genuine though.
- Person of Mass Destruction: He killed almost all of the Noahs 35 years ago, which is definitely no mean feat, and wants to kill and replace the Millennium Earl.
- Spell My Name with a "The": For a long time, he's known simply as the 14th. His true name is revealed to be Nea D. Campbell.
- Split at Birth: He and Mana actually form the Earl together, they were just two halves of him born separately.
- Split Personality Takeover:
- He pulls one of these in chapter 189, but then his host resists and regains control.
- Tries this again in chapter 214 and succeeds.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: As the last page of Chapter 213 has recently shown.
Mana Walker/Mana D. Campbell
Allen's father figure who died when he was around ten or so. After he called Mana back as Akuma, his father cursed him, granting Allen the power to see Akuma's tormented souls. Then Allen's Innocence activated for the first time and he destroyed Mana, which in turn led Allen to become Exorcist.Before his death Mana worked as travelling entertainer. Despite Allen thinking about him every now and then during the series, very little is actually known about him.
Voiced by: Fumihiko Tachiki (JP), Yutaka Aoyama (JP, 2016 anime), Mark Stoddardnote & Charles Campbellnote (EN)
- Death by Origin Story: Or not.
- Monster from Beyond the Veil: When Allen brought him back as an Akuma.
- Mysterious Parent: Is turning out to be way more important to the plot than we were led to believe at first. He turns out to be the Millennium Earl.
- Monster Clown: Maybe.
- Sanity Slippage: According to Cross, after Mana's brother was killed by Millennium Earl he kind of lost it. Which is kind of understatement after author gets into detail about Allen's backstory in Reverse Novel 3. Turns out that Allen didn't actually have a name in the beginning. He takes up that after Mana calls him Allen, mistaking him as his dead dog.
- Split at Birth: He and Nea actually form the Earl together, they were just two halves of him born separately.
- Split Personality: Implied. Mana seems to be in conflict with his Earl persona, and is unstable because his other half is missing.
- The Faceless: His face is almost never shown in full without make-up in the manga. We get a single panel silhouette of him (as a boy) in normal clothes in the manga with his brother. He looks exactly like a younger version of the Earl's human form.
- Best Her to Bed Her: A variation. Being an Akuma, she'd end up killing any man weaker than her, so the only person she can be with is someone who could potentially destroy her]].
- Femme Fatale: Not quite The Vamp, as she genuinely wants to find love, but close.
- The Lost Lenore: To Krory.
- One-Winged Angel: Like all low-level Akuma, but she lampshades it by saying how she hates to turn into something so ugly.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Krory.
- Yandere: She does love Krory. She also happens to be an Akuma. So...
The first Level Three Akuma to appear in the series. The first he does as an impressive fighter, is defeating and nearly killing Bookman and Lavi easily, then enters a long battle with Lenalee costing her long hair and loses. He was formerly a Japanese artist.
Voiced by Ryusei Nakao (JP)
- Badass: He fought off Bookman, Lavi and Lenalee. Who did he defeat? The first two. Lenalee only won by the skin of her teeth.
- Catch Phrase: "Title!", which he prefaces all of his sentences with.
- Elite Mook: Possibly. After his defeat, the other Level 3's succumb almost immediately to Lowered Monster Difficulty.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Has a deep voice even for his voice actor's standards.
Voiced by Kaori Nazuka (JP)
- Black Eyes of Evil: When she's struggling to resist the Earl's commands.
- Cute Monster Girl: Even in her demonic form, she looks a lot less monstrous than other Akuma. Lavi develops an instant crush on her.
- Lightis Good: Even though she is a demon.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She self-destructs after helping the exorcists.
- Verbal Tic: She says "cho" at the end of her sentences, leading to...
- Verbal Tic Name: Lavi nicknaming her Chomesuke. She likes that name better than her other one.
A kind-looking, cheerful priest on the Black Order HQ.In reality a strange-looking creature called "Apocryphos", a living Innocence whose role is to protect the Heart at all costs. He is powerful enough to scare a Noah. Seems to be the "Third Side of the War", Marian had previously referred to. Confirmed to be the real culprit behind Cross's attempted murder, but his motives and his relation with him have yet to be explained. Currently chasing Allen to perform something that most definitely is bad news.
- The Assimilator: Has this in mind for Allen.
- Big Bad Ensemble: He's the newest antagonist; completely independent, but right up there with Earl and the 14th.
- Body Horror: His feather-related power.
- Expy: This priest bears a striking resemblance to Anderson.
- Fake Memories: He can implant those in witnesses apparently. While it also works on Kanda, his Healing Factor is able to counter it.
- Feather Motif: And not anywhere that feathers should naturally be.
- Humanoid Abomination: Sentient energy that looks like The Blank, anyone?
- One-Winged Angel: Goes from a kind priest to a weird Blank-ish thing
- Story-Breaker Power: He singlehandedly counts as "The third side of the war" and in his 2 chapters of combat, it shows. He completely manhandles Tyki and Howard, knocks out Road in 1 hit, regenerates from having a candle shoved through his eye in seconds and is not just immune to, but can also disable Innocences. On top of all this, he can afflict people with a feather-like substance that blinds the affected party and disables their Innonence. He´s the "Grim Reaper when it comes to Noahs".
- The Blank: His real form which does not look right at all, being a white being with no nose and black schlera. But as of Chapter 217, he's been turned by Jasdevi into a Toon form, which is strangely satisfying.
- Winged Humanoid: Briefly displays this, though he doesn't exactly use said wings to fly...