A list of characters and character-related tropes from Katsura Hoshino's dark supernatural manga/anime series D.Gray-Man
.This article is a work in progress.
open/close all folders
The 15-year-old ?
protagonist of the series, Allen is a young man who was born with a deformed red left arm with a cross embedded in the hand. His biological parents abandoned him because of this, and Allen was taken in and raised by a man named Mana Walker. When Mana died, Allen was overcome with grief and the Millennium Earl appeared before him with the offer to bring Mana back from the dead. Allen accepted the offer and Mana's soul was trapped in the metal body of an akuma. Mana cursed Allen and tried to kill him to wear his skin, but it turns out that Allen's deformed arm is an Innocence, which then activated and destroyed Mana's akuma body. Allen was later taken under the wing of General Cross, who trained him how to be an "Exorcist" (a person who can use an Innocence to fight and destroy akuma). When the story begins, Allen is on his way to find the Black Order and join the organization.
Allen's Innocence is a "parasite-type", one of the rarest Innocences. Due to Mana's curse, Allen's left eye is branded with a pentacle. However, with this eye Allen is the only one who can see who is an akuma in a human skin, as well as being able to see the tortured soul trapped within. He is a cheerful, kind young man who loves everyone
, and has made it his mission to release akuma-captured souls from their pain and suffering.
Allen's Innocence is called the Crowned Clown
. In early chapters, it starts as a massive claw; during the Ark Arc, it upgrades to body armor and several new abilities. After achieving General-level synchronization, its final form is revealed: a massive sword that only harms the evil within someone
The 16-year-old sister of Black Order Supervisor Komui Lee, Lenalee is a powerful Exorcist. After her parents were killed by an akuma, she was found to be compatible with an Innocence at a young age, pretty much abducted by the Order and forced to synchronize with it. After nearly killing herself during several attempts to escape the Order, Lenalee is persuaded to stay when Komui joins to be near her. She is very kind, and fights not for the cause of the 'holy war' that the Black Order is fighting against the Millennium Earl, but for the safety of her family and friends.
Lenalee's Innocence is the Dark Boots. An equipment-type, they allow her to run faster than normal, jump great heights, and make her heels deadly weapons. They have recently upgraded to a previously unseen type of Innocence that forms the user's blood into equipment; this has been termed crystal-type by the Science Department
- Action Girl: Lenalee is an incredibly skilled Exorcist and one hell of a trooper on the battlefield.
- Alliterative Name
- Armed Legs
- Author Appeal: Hoshino mentions in one of the early volumes how Lenalee is her ideal. She's also based on a real person.
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Broken Bird: Though she hides it well.
- The Chick: While sweet and feminine, she's quite the Action Girl.
- Chickification: She suffered of this after she pushed her Innocence too far in her fight with Eshi and went into a Heroic RROD that left her unable to use her legs properly, which lead her to become a Damsel in Distress whom the Noah try to capture her. She gets better after she gains her new crystal-type Dark Boots.
- Chinese Girl: at least ethnically-wise, according to the manual.
- Close-Call Haircut: Lenalee's fight with the first L3 akuma shown in the series gives her one of these, combining it with Important Haircut as she discovers the depths of her resolve.
- Combat Stilettos: The Dark Boots. They start out as thicker high heels, but after going crystal-type they become stilettos.
- Cry Cute
- Dance Battler: Her Innocence is a pair of boots.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Try to look futher◊, and Komui will kick your ass. If he isn't around and you try it again, she'll kick your ass instead.
- Demoted to Extra: Suffers from this a little bit.
- Despair Event Horizon: When Allen is "killed" by Tyki Mikk and she isn´t allowed to see him. She pretty much becomes a vegetable until Eshi comes along.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Her reaction to meeting Inspector Lvellier again is quite similar to that of a rape victim´s...
- Dude Magnet: She is clearly Allen's counterpart in that domain (although it doesn't seem Even the Girls Want Her). Allen probably likes her more than just a little, Lavi says he is totally interested in her, Bak is… well, Bak, Cross blantantly hits on her once, Regory Peck apparently did it several times, and Li Kei falls in Love at First Sight. And there is Komui's behaviour…
- Expy: She looks similar to Eureka after her Close-Call Haircut and they are both their resident show´s Macguffin Girls.
- Go-Go Enslavement: Road once dresses her up in an Elegant Gothic Lolita-style burgundy gown and changes her Girlish Pigtails into Mega Twintails.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Heroic BSOD: She completely snaps when Allen is presumed dead after Tyki had his way with him and is pretty much stuck in the Despair Event Horizon for several episodes.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- In a Single Bound
- Kick Chick: She's practically this trope personifed, due to her fighting style. Which implies...
- Lady of War: She's feminine and softspoken, and she's always graceful in battle.
- Lightning Bruiser: Of the "hard-hitting speedster" variety.
- Macguffin Girl: She´s one of the most likely canditates of the Heart (alot of fans speculate she shares it with Allen, further elaborated on in the WMG section).
- Nice Girl: Downplayed. She is a kind person, but only towards the people she's close to. She's painfully aware of it.
- Older Than She Looks: She is one year older than Allen, but she is quite shorter than him.
- Plucky Girl
- Purple Eyes
- Rapunzel Hair: Before her Close-Call Haircut, her hair used to reach her hips when not held in pigtails.
- Ship Tease: JUST KISS HER ALREADY, ALLEN, GODDAMNIT.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Is strongly implied to be attracted to Allen.
- Sleep Cute: What she does with Allen. Cue Squeeing.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Hers gets wrongly romanized to everything from Linali Li to Rinari Ri.
- Stepford Smiler: Under her sunny exterior, she secretly hates the Black Order because of what she went through, to the point of wishing her experiences were all a bad dream. She does eventually accept her role, resulting in a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Taking You with Me: Pulled this as her last resort in fight with level 3 Akuma establishing her Badass status forever. She doesn't die, thanks to her Innocence, but was fully prepared to.
- Thigh-High Boots
- Traumatic Haircut: See also Close-Call Haircut.
- Tricked-Out Shoes: The Dark Boots.
- True Companions: Lenalee's reason for fighting.
- Walk on Water: With her Innocence activated, she can do this.
- Woman in Black: Inverted in terms of personality.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: At one point someone new to headquarters tries to yell at the Science Division for having an Exorcist serve them coffee. Someone has to explain that Lenalee does it because she likes to.
- Yaoi Fangirl: She looks awfully fascinated when she sees Lavi hugging Allen at one point.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: It's only green in the anime. In the manga her hair is specifically stated to be black, despite sometimes being drawn as green, blue or purple in the colour art.
A mysterious young man set to become the next Bookman, a historian who records the secret wars that shape the world. Originally sent to the Black Order solely to document the war between Exorcists and akuma, Lavi finds himself becoming more and more attached to his fellow Exorcists.
Lavi's Innocence is Tettsui, or Iron Hammer. It is capable of extending and expanding to massive sizes; Lavi uses the head as a platform to travel on. Lavi can also harness elemental powers through Tettsui with various 'seals'. Unlike other Exorcists in the main cast, Lavi has yet to defeat Akuma that's above level 2. He isn't very strong fighter likely because of his need to keep distance from his Innocence, but it's been shown that he's quite competent fighter barehanded. Apparently he also knows how to use a knife.
"Noah are immortal? Bullshit"
A cold and aloof swordsman from Japan. Kanda is an extremely efficient Exorcist who prefers to work alone, though he is nominally under General Tiedoll's command. He has a tattoo of a strange rune on his left pectoral that sucks his life force to heal him if he is injured
. As of Chapter 186, Kanda is revealed to be one of the experimental Second Exorcists, an apparently failed super Exorcist program. In a past life he was an exorcist who was killed in battle by an Akuma, since Exorcists are scarce they transplanted his brain into an artificial body, having no clear memories of the person he once was, but tortured by flashes of a romance he once had
Kanda's Innocence is Mugen, a black-bladed katana that allows him to use several 'Illusions' in combat. These range from an eight-sided slash similar to the Kuzu Ryu Sen
to a second blade made of Innocence energy. Now it upgraded to the crystal-type as wellAs of chapter 217, he has accepted the position of Exorcist General.
A vampire-like exorcist from Romania. After he gained his Innocence, he instinctively attacked and drained the blood of Akuma, causing the villagers to believe he was a vampire. The only person who accepted him was a girl named Eliade, who later turned out to be an Akuma. When he found out what she really was, she tried to kill him. He ended up killing her as she said she only wanted to love him, despite her Akuma nature. The reason he joined the Black Order is so that Eliade's death would have a purpose.
Krory's Innocence is his teeth. When activated, he can drink the blood of Akuma, which has no negative effects on him since a parasitic-type Innocence can break down the blood virus. Akuma blood allows him to heal quickly, and boosts his speed and strength. During the Ark arc, he gains the ability to remove the blood from his body and turn it into a living, virtually invulnerable replica of himself.
A shy, clumsy and insecure German woman who was the subject of ridicule in her hometown due to her inability to hold down a job. She has been fired from over 100 jobs, and often feels useless because of this. When her clock caused the same day to repeat over and over in her town after she connected with Innocence inside it, Allen and Lenalee helped her to revert the time flow to normal. She joined the Black Order soon afterwards, determined to be a useful exorcist.
Miranda's Innocence is the Time Record, which she can use to heal people and repair broken objects by reversing time. However, when she deactivates her power, the damage returns. Her Innocence also allows her to create a barrier of frozen time, negating attacks.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Subverted. After finishing her training, she makes her grand entrance wearing a tight black leather uniform that's quite a change from the demure outfits she usually wears. Then she trips up. Shortly after that, she freaks out and has a frantic apologising fit over doing something right, which shows she hasn't changed at all.
- Apologises a Lot: Doesn't she just.
- Ascended Extra: She was originally only supposed to appear in one arc, and she wasn't going to be an exorcist at all, but the author started to really like her character, so she joined the Order.
- Barrier Warrior: She is the only exorcist with a purely defensive Innocence.
- Beautiful All Along: At the beginning of the Rewinding Town arc, she looks unhealthy and much older than she is, but turns out to be quite pretty once she lets her hair down.
- Born Unlucky
- Brown Eyes
- Butt Monkey: She starts out as this.
- Christmas Cake: She is 25 years old when we first meet her.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: A little bit. She's... rather neurotic, to say the least, though considering what she went through you can't exactly blame her.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her hair and eyes are dark brown.
- Determined Defeatist: This says it all: "Even when I said I wouldn't try anymore, I kept on trying anyway."
- She made the entire trip to the Black Order HQ lugging around a Grandfather Clock as her luggage, and even climbed up a cliff with it strapped to her backnote
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- The Eeyore
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Has them when she's first introduced, thanks to her insomnia. Not so much when we see her again in the later chapters.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: When we first meet her, her Innocence is causing the same day to keep repeating itself, and she is the only one who is aware of it.
- Guilt Complex
- Harmful Healing: What her Innocence ultimately amounts to. She doesn't so much heal injuries as temporarily remove them. When it's finally deactivated, the target will still have to face the full brunt of their injuries after (and depending on the severity, possibly even face their own death.)
- Healing Hands: A complicated case. She can use her Innocence to "reverse" recently inflicted wounds, but they'll start to reappear should she deactivate it or the person steps outside it's Area of Effect (and if the wounds are Fatal, well....). It's not limited to just people, either. Her power restores anything within it's Ao E to prime condition, be it animate or inanimate.note For example, she returned a ship to seaworthy shape after it had be trashed in an Akuma battle.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: So. Very. Much.
- The Insomniac: Due to being high-strung, depressed, and jobless before becoming an Exorcist, she's learned how to go for weeks without any sleep. This is actually a pretty useful skill considering the nature of her powers, but it does kinda creep out the rest of the cast.
- The Klutz
- Lethal Chef: She is shown to be this in a filler episode.
- Nervous Wreck
- No Sense of Direction: According to the fillers.
- Scars Are Forever: In the manga, she has scars on her hands that resemble stigmata. They seem to come from her introductory arc, when Rhode captured her and Lenalee and nailed Miranda's hands to a clock.
- She Cleans Up Nicely
- Shrinking Violet
- The Sixth Ranger: She joins the team after having been Put on a Bus for several arcs.
- Suicide as Comedy: When she uses her powers to repair a damaged ship, everyone stares at her in amazement. She immediately thinks she's messed up and tries to off herself by jumping into the ocean.
- Time Stands Still: She can do this within an area, preventing enemy attacks from reaching her.
- Tuckerization: She's named after Australian actress Miranda Otto.
- Unkempt Beauty: Ironically, she becomes this once Beautiful All Along kicks in.
- Woman in Black: As with Lenalee, the usual personality traits do not appear.
Lavi's mentor. He is a short old man whose Facial Markings
made him look like a panda according to Lavi. His anti-akuma weapon is a set of needles called Heaven's Compass.
A cheerful 18 year old exorcist from Bodrum, Turkey. His anti-akuma weapon is the Charity bell. He was one of the first exorcists to be killed by Tyki.
Noise Marie is a blind exorcist who has excellent hearing. His anti-akuma weapon is a bunch of strings which he can use to ensnare akuma. He also lost 2 of his fingers to a level 4 akuma's bullet.
Tropes associated with Noise:
One of the surviving members of Anita's crew. While inside Noah's Ark, he manages to synchronize to one of the Innocence and ends up joining the Exorcist.
Tropes associated with Chaozii Han
Yu Kanda's childhood friend and thus another product of experimental Second Exorcist program that Black Order had
. In Kanda's flashbacks, he's shown as cheerful, a bit silly, optimistic boy who talks a lot (too much in Kanda's opinion) and who's big fan of mayonnaise. They didn't really get along at first, but after some Bloody Hilarious
moments they became friends. Apparently enduring everything became little easier for them after that...up to certain point.
There's not much that can be said about Alma without spoiling some really major things, since he's very important character regarding Kanda. He doesn't appear in the anime.
Allen's Trickster Mentor
, one of the five Generals, and an incredible Bad Ass
. He has a rather sociopathic habit of racking up enormous amounts of debt and weaseling out of paying it, usually by foisting it off on Allen instead. He also doesn't especially like the rules the rest of the Order wants him to follow, and stays far away from headquarters as much as possible just because he's contrary. However, he's not a complete Jerk Ass
; he does care for Allen (albeit in what is often a really twisted way) and he's made himself an incredible pain to the Earl in the course of Walking the Earth
, such that he had Jasdevi sent after him. He left them a $10,000 debt to pay
His Innocence is a gun called Judgment, and he kicks ridiculous amounts of ass with it. He also controls an undead woman with parasite-type Innocence called Grave of Maria, and has a so-far-unexplained ability to turn Akuma good.
A middle-aged exorcist general who cares deeply for his disciples. He is an artist and has the anti-akuma weapon Maker of Heaven (or, depending on the translation, Maker of Eden).
The only female exorcist general. She was formerly an animal trainer before becoming an exorcist. Her anti-akuma weapon is that cute little monkey that rides around on her shoulder that turns into a 10 foot tall giant lightning throwing monkey.
A former executioner who is now an exorcist general. His anti-akuma weapon is called Madness.
One of the generals who was killed by Noah in their search of Heart
. He was a school teacher before he became a general.
Voiced by Kiyoshi Kawakubo (JP), Bill Jenkins (EN)
Tropes associated with Kevin:
Other Black Order Members
The supervisor of the Black Order. After his younger sister Lenalee was forced to become an exorcist, he joined the Order to be with her. Although lazy and disorganized, he does what he can to help the exorcists, such as repairing damaged anti-Akuma weapons.
- Bad Boss: A rare example in that he's not actively malevolent towards his underlings, he's just incredibly exasperating, what with the weird behavior, tendency to duck out of work, knack for complicating or causing problems and willingness to impede others from solving messes he's created (like drugging Allen to keep him from destroying Komlin II when it attacks him). Perhaps because of this, they're still pretty loyal to him, though.
- Big Brother Instinct: He is freakishly overprotective of Lenalee. Even his own underlings worry about just how devoted to her he is.
- Bishounen: In Lenalee's flashbacks to the period before she became an exoricst he's shown to be quite the looker.
- Brainy Specs: Komui doesn't need his glasses at all - his eyesight is fine. He wears them to help hide his sad expression when his sister is sent to the battlefield.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He can be pretty competent when push comes to shove. Doesn't stop him from being a wigged out loony the rest of the time, though.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: With all those wacky inventions and his tendency to drift into his own little world, it's safe to say he's at least a mild version of this.
- Heavy Sleeper: The only way to wake him is to say Lenalee's getting married.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Oh good lord, so much. Mostly played for laughs.
- Mad Scientist
- Man Child
- Must Have Caffeine: And how. Doesn't stop him constantly falling asleep over his paperwork though.
- Nice Hat
- Promotion to Parent: He and Lenalee lost their parents to Akuma.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Unlike most of the Black Order, he genuinely cares about the Exorcists.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: His latest creation Komulin EX is a tad bit too emotive for a machine. Allen of all people, takes advantage of this…
- Running Gag: His robots and other Mad Scientist whatnots going berserk.
- Also being woken up by the quote "Lenalee's getting married." It never fails.
- Trash of the Titans: His perpetually messy office.
- And by "perpetually messy," we mean that you can't see the floor for all the papers on it, save for a path cleared to the desk. On said desk, the papers are generally piled so high that you can't see Komui behind them.
The long suffering section chief of the science devision. He likes soda and dislikes cigarettes and alcohol. Since he works for Komui
, his entire division is incredibly overworked.
A short, crybaby scientist at the Black Order. Often seen working with Tup Dop.
Voiced by Tomohiro Tsuboi (JP), Christopher Bevins (EN)
Another Science Division member. He works with Johnny.
Tropes associated with Tup:
The Director of Asia branch. Also one of the few higher positioned Black Order members who actually get along with Allen, as Bak has shown great deal of concern for his wellbeing. He's compassionate -if a bit egoistical- man who helps Allen recover his Innocence after Tyki destroys it
. Despite his (relatively) harmless habit of stalking Lenalee, Bak seems to be friends with Komui
. It might have something to do with that they both care about exorcists and think that they're more than just tools for Black Order to use.
A 18 year old trainee in the Asian branch, who is always hanging out with Li Kei and Shifu. Was severely lovestruck when meeting Allen and hasn't got better since then.
The temperamental guardian of Asia branch. Saved Allen's life by bringing him to their hideout when she found him on the brink of death after his encounter with Tyki
. Since she is actually a spirit, For can maintain physical form for only some period of time. So when she gets tired, her body becomes transparent as well.
Head of the North-American branch. Her family, along with that of Bak directed the Second Exorcist project. Herself was put in charge of the Third Exorcist project, decided to make up both for the ridiculously small number of exorcists and the rare, random appearances of Accomodates.
Malcom C. Lvellie
Inspector General for the Vatican and member of a family that served the Black Order since its foundation. That included offering members of their own family as guinea pigs for forbidden experiences.
Very astride on the rules, he will do absolutely anything to win the war against the Earl and imposes harsh restrictions on Allen out of suspicion regarding the latter's links to the Fourteenth.
Voiced by Ryusuke Oobayashi (JP)
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: His personnality is harsh enough, but with his moustache, it's hard not to think about… someone else.
- Guinea Pig Family: One of the reasons his family is so influential within the Order. Not that he is particularly happy about it.
- Large and In Charge: Although he too is obeying orders from above, he still has a high position. He is also stated to be 195cm tall and nearly 100kg. That makes for quite a formidable figure.
- Mood Whiplash: Hello, Lenalee, we haven't seen each other since I traumatized you. You are so terrified you can't even talk… but anyway, I made delicious pastries, who wants some!
- Not So Different: Lvellie seems to hate the Innocence and/or the Order, what makes him uncannily similar to Lenalee.
- Rage Against the Heavens
- Spell My Name with an "S": Lvellie? Levellier? Luberier? Who knows?
- Chapter 202 confirms it's Lvellie.
- Supreme Chef: His pastries are famously delicious and he even wrote a book on the topic. Allen would probably be fond of these if they weren't made by the guy who put him under surveillance and suspected him of heresy.
- Take a Third Option: He states that his main motivation is that the Humanity wins the war on itself and gets free of both God and the Earl. He looks kinda creepy when he says it, so it could be all lies or psychotic delusions.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: A possible interpretation of his character.
- Wham Line: "Ignore Walker. He requires help. He... "the 14th". / Cross Marian made a secret pact with me and told me everything."
- Wild Card: Wants to use Allen for his own goals (specifically, the 14th awakening so he can help him. This requires him to actually physically protect Allen.
Inspector for the Vatican and Malcolm Lvellie's right hand man. Introduced in Chapter 135, he is charged with keeping an eye on Allen Walker at all times.
Third Exorcist Program
- Action Girl: Kiredori and Tewaku
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Goushi. When the Alma cells started to take over his body, he begged for Lenalee to save him. It turns out to be Mercy Kill on her part.
- An Arm and a Leg: Tokusa loses both arms to Tykki in a confrontation.
- Anti-Hero: Each of them is considerably more ruthless that most of the already seen Exorcists.
- Badass: All of them. Or supposed to be. Some of them fall short on the hype however. Madarao, however, is extremely so.
- Badass Long Robe: Part of their uniform. The rest consists of a Sarashi and a Nice Hat.
- The Big Guy: Goushi
- Blood Knight: Tokusa seems to revel in his abilities in a way the others don’t.
- Body Horror: When Alma's cells start taking control over their bodies, they deform quite grotesquely and extremely painfully.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Tokusa’s attack on Allen while under the control of the effect of Alma’s cells.
- Cannibalism Superpower: They have the ability to transforms their left arm, causing the flesh to part away and reveal a core of Dark Matter within their forearm and a hole in their palm, through which they can create a vortex that resembles a black hole. This can be used to absorb an Akuma directly, or to spread a dark, shadowy quagmire across the ground which will swallow up any Akuma in the vicinity.
- Creepy Child: Kiredori. It’s not intentional and definitely not of her own volition.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tokusa
- Emotionless Girl: Kiredori. Tewaku as well at times.
- Eyes Always Shut: Not always, but Tokusa is pretty close.
- Face-Heel Turn: It really depends on how much it was voluntary, but Tewaku, Tokusa and Madarao seem to have joined forces with the Noah. The three aid Tykki and Road in freeing Allen from prison.
- Facial Markings: Their eye makeup and the dots on their foreheads.
- Hellish Pupils: Kiredori
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Tokusa had shades of it.
- The Stoic and The Quiet One: Goushi and Madarao.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Tewaku has shades of it
- Super Soldiers
- Mercy Kill: Goushi by Lenalee, Kiredori by Socalo (believe it or not).
- Number Two: Either Tokusa or Tewaku.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green in Tokusa’s case, and blue in Madarao's.
The Earl of Millennium
The Big Bad
of the series, the Earl of Millennium (mostly known as the Millennium Earl to Western fans) doesn't look very dangerous due to his cartoonish appearance and cheerful attitude. However, looks are deceiving and this guy is responsible for the death of millions
because of his Akuma.
He usually appears before a person grieving the loss of a loved one and politely offers to bring back the deceased back to life. If the offer is accepted, however, the Earl imprisons the soul in a ominous-looking black metal skeleton. The captured soul will then usually berate and curse the person who agreed to the deal...until the Earl completely takes control of the new Akuma and orders him/her to kill the other and wear their skin as a human disguise
. Only Allen's cursed eye is able to see who's really an Akuma in a skin.
- Acrofatic: It's a disguise
- Affably Evil: He´s basically a father figure to the Noah, is extremely polite and seems to forgive all of Allen´s actions because of the fact that He has the 14th´s memories. He also shows in the Destruction of the Order arc that he is perfectly capable of wiping out the hero faction if he chooses to, yet doesn't, although he has become a lot more active as of late.
- Attention Whore: In chapter 188, Road and Wisely are seen commenting on the Earl's need to always be the center of attention.
- Ax-Crazy: While the Earl is weird, when acting malicious, he comes across as this especially in his true form
- As of 218, he goes Up to Eleven wit this as he is literally unable to keep a solid form
- BFS: His main weapon of choice and one that looks exactly like Allen's, only with a different color scheme.
- Big Bad Ensemble: One of the top villains in the series, but he's losing ground to the 14th and Apocryphos.
- As of chapter 218, he's not even able to keep his composure once he meets Allen again
- Bishonen Line: his real form is much more pleasant to the eye than the way we normally see him, to say the least.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: always.
- Deal with the Devil: Those who accept his offer to "bring back a loved one" do not end well...
- Evil Is One Big Happy Family: Yeah, he might be utterly insane Although he seems a lot more lucid in human form... but he's also a genuinely jolly old fellow who loves his family. His Person of Mass Destruction family, but his family nonetheless.
- Gentleman Adventurer: his human form has some air to this. (Hint: it's the hat)
- Hat Shop: He has a habit of wearing multiple hats to cover the horns on his head
- Implacable Man: He has yet to suffer an injury of any kind; even the fake version summoned by Jasdevi that fought Krory and Allen showed no signs of damage during the entire fight.
- Meaningful Name: His real name, Adam, can't be just by chance.
- Monster Clown: Although he doesn't look like one, he has been described as such.
- Nice Hat: He wears a different hat every time we see him.
- Nightmare Face: All of Chapter 218 seems to taking this Up to Eleven with this as he is literally is losing his ability to coherently think as well as maintain his shape
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: His cartoonish appearance belies how powerful he really is.
- Omnicidal Maniac: He's at least jolly about it his behavior in chapter 218 suggest he's far more unstable than he previously appeared
- Perma Stubble: When he's finally shown in human form.
- Person of Mass Destruction: The first attack he was ever shown using completely leveled Edo. And he hadn't gotten serious yet.
- Please Keep Your Hat On: Under that hat, the Earl has horns when he's in his nonhuman form.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's been alive since before Noah's flood and since his real name is 'Adam', may have been around a lot longer than that.
- Red Right Hand: Not that he needs it, but those hats are to cover up his horns.
- Satan: Has very clear aspects of this.
- Say It with Hearts: In nearly every single one of his speech bubbles except in his more human-looking form.
- Slasher Smile: Although he's always smiling, his smile looks like this when he's mad.
- Technically a Smile: Although as of recent chapters, he shows much more emotions than he did previously
- Stepford Smiler: It turns out as chapter 218, he has a lot of instability and hatred behind his jolly attitude
- Spell My Name with a "The"
- The Stoic: He always has a Cheshire Cat Grin even when he's angry, which looks shocking to say the least. The latest chapters play with this trope as his face distorts into very bizarre shapes and more varied emotions
- Villainous Breakdown: Losing the Arc is the first time his plans have suffered a major setback resulting in a terrifying Nightmare Face.
- As of chapter 218, he LOSES it completely and for no reason other than meeting Allen again, convinced he's Nea. He doesn't just become upset, he literally goes insane and his form become even more monstrous than usual
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: His past revealed by a sudden flash of memory seems to suggest he has a lot more reason to hate Exorcists and Nea than simply Evil Is Petty
One of the first Noah we meet, who is perpetually surrounded by a cloud of butterflies. The author admitted to creating him just because she wanted another really handsome guy to draw, and it shows. He is the Noah of Pleasure and originally lived as a homeless worker with his normal human friends while sometimes going back home to the Earl to do jobs (mainly killing people) because he thought it was fun. At the end of the Ark Arc, he was temporarily controlled by his Noah, which resulted in some new scars and long hair. Despite it being said that his Noah has 'awakened', the only significant change to his personality seems to be being very very cheerful around the hero.
- Affably Evil: Hey, he's a pretty polite guy for someone who's supporting the End of the World as We Know It.
- Author Appeal: See the character description above. He's not unpopular among fans either.
- Beat Still, My Heart: How he usually uses his Intangible Man powers.
- Beauty Mark: Underneath his left eye
- Body Horror: He inflicted this on Allen, and his One-Winged Angel form has some aspects of this.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: The Tease (Teez? Teaz? Tese?) he carries around with him.
- Cool Big Brother: He´s like one to Road.
- Evil Feels Good
- Friendly Enemy: Ehhh, kinda. He took an interest in Allen after he learned that the kid had survived their first encounter, which eventually grew into genuine respect and fondness to the point he (along with Road) rescued Allan from a sentient innocence. It's very one-sided, however.
- Hero Killer
- Intangible Man: Tyki's special power as a Noah allows him to manipulate all matter of this world, though that is usually used to make him able to phase through things at will.
- Like Brother and Sister: All the Noah are family, but Tyki and Road in particular seem to treat each other like actual siblings (although, being The Tease, he has mock-flirted with her at least once) and seem to hang out on and off the job more than the others.
- Mr. Fanservice: Hey, the author herself wanted to make another handsome guy, so she made him.
- Nightmare Face: Holy mother of god◊, get me the fuck away from this guy.
- One-Winged Angel: And a scary one at that.
- Painted-On Pants: In his Noah outfit.
- Punch Clock Villain: Literally. When he's not on business for the Earl he works in a Portuguese mine together with a friend and an orphan. He's also a pretty good guy when he's not angry.
- Scars Are Forever: He has massive scars across his chest from his fight with Allen in the Ark.
- Sharp-Dressed Man:
- Slasher Smile: The last thing you see before Tyki pulls your heart out without leaving a mark on your outer body is this.
- Smoking Is Cool
- Super-Powered Evil Side: A really terrifying knight with insect-like tentacles
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- The Tease: Wait...
- Tranquil Fury: Road notes that this is when he is at his scariest.
- Walk on Water: His selective interaction ability allows him to do this.
The first Noah ever encountered by Allen, she has the appearance of a small girl with spiky black hair. However, she is called the oldest Noah by other members of the family, implying that she was the first to awaken as one. Road is the Noah of Dreams, allowing her to travel between dimensions and control the Ark. She was shown to have survived her whole body exploding into sand/dust in the Arc
, and cannot be harmed by physical attacks unless they are inflicted from inside of her dreamworld.
- Affably Evil: She seems like a sweet girl around the Noah, who has a thing for lolipops and once asked Tyki to help her with her homework... she also caused a Akuma to self-destruct just to piss off Allen.
- Character Development: Interestingly, while she remains a Noah and averts Villain Decay, she seems to behave a little less sinister each time Allen meets her. She's gone from stabbing him in the eye the first time they met, to kissing him the second time, and now she's saved his life twice in the last few days because of her feelings for him. Her attraction to and concern for Allen appears to be the cause of her decreasingly antagonistic behavior, so it's likely she'd still be pretty scary if she was dealing with anyone but Allen.
- Of course proven when she attempts to Mind Rape Lavi.
- Creepy Child
- Creepy Doll: In chapters 187 and 188, Road is seen in the form of one of these.
- Daddy's Little Villain: Her relationship with the Millennium Earl is a perfect example of this trope.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dating Catwoman: What she'd certainly like to have with Allen.
- Deliberately Cute Child: She can fake being a cute little girl quite easily. Her human adoptive mother appears to be completely oblivious to Road's darker side. Then again, she's married to Sherril...
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She cares really deeply for her family. Also Allen, but then again, he is family.
- Even Evil Has Standards: She really didn't like the whole deal with Kanda's memories.
- Fan Service Pack: Compare Road's initial appearance to how she looks now. Slight difference, no?
- Rumour is that because Road's initial design led to so many questions from readers about whether she was male or female, Hoshino decided to make it more obvious.
- Finger-Lickin' Evil: Technically, she was licking one of her candles, but the effect was there.
- For the Evulz: Why she's willing to create a door that would allowing the exorcists trapped inside of the arc to escape, but the only way they can get to it is if they battle the Noah who are also inside of it. Really the only reason the others do it too. And she decided that messing with Allen would be more fun than others, that's why she chose him.
- Genki Girl: Albeit a rather creepy one.
- Little Miss Badass
- Mind Rape: What she does to Lavi while he is in her dreamworld.
- And also to Marshall Yeegar earlier in the series, also in her dreamworld. Heck, her dreamworld specialises in this.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She's all over Allen whenever she can possibly manage it.
- Older Than They Look
- Perky Goth
- Put on a Bus: Has been missing since she and Tyki bails Allen out of the Order, taking a hit from the Apocryphos in the process.
- Shotacon: It has recently been revealed that she has in fact looked twelve for the past thirty-five years, and she has a rather creepy affection for fifteen-year-old Allen Walker...
- Though given the recent revelation that Allen might also be older than he looks, this may be some strange case of both sides being Legal Jailbait instead.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Comments on how sweet Allen is for crying over a lost soul, and is later shown to be openly smitten with him. Of course, you can't really blame her.
- Slasher Smile: All members of the Noah family have sported one of these at some time or another, Road just does it more frequently.
- Villainous Crush: Interestingly, this seems to be a source of Character Development for her, since her crush on Allen makes her act nicer to him and help him out when he gets in a jam more than once.
- Villainous Rescue: No, seriously. When Allen was being consumed by Kanda's memories during his Journey to the Center of the Mind in chapter 192, Road stepped in and saved him for no apparent reason beyond affection.
- She also teamed up with Tyki to save Allen from being possessed by a sentient innocence...and even wound up Taking the Bullet (a rather painful-looking punch, in this case) for him!
- Yandere / Cute and Psycho
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Though it's like this only in anime.
Jasdevi (Jasdero and Devit)
Jasdero (left), Devit (right)
The Noah(s) of the Bonds, these twins have chased Cross Marian worldwide, getting more and more debt along the way. They're out to pass the debts on to Allen Walker. The twins' Noah ability is materialization, and shooting several different elements by mental will
. If the two sing a song and shoot each other, they turn into their original form, Jasdevi. Krory
fights them on the Ark.
- Creepy Twins
- Expy: Of the Wonder Twins, of all things.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Devit's pants.
- The Gunslinger: Before they actually get serious about fighting.
- The Hyena: Jasdero, hee-hee!
- Laughably Evil
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: As they come off as ridiculous and annoying brats, Exorcists hardly think of them as a threat. After being told off too many times by them, Jasdevi finally snap and remind the cast and viewers alike that they're freakin' Noah.
- Painted-On Pants
- Prehensile Hair: When combined into one.
- Rapunzel Hair: Again, when combined.
- Single-Minded Twins: An actual superpower of theirs.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Jasdebi/Jasdevi and Devito/Debito/David/Devit/Debitt.
- Word of God is that it's Devit for the latter. Presumably, based on that it will be Jasdevi for the former.
- Superpower Lottery: In theory, they may have the single most powerful ability in the series, being able to make anything they both think of at the same time come real. If they werent crazy Cloudcuckoolanders, they could use this to say, fill the entire room with lava or make their opponent's head explode.
Skinn Bolic is the Noah of wrath. He can turn into a giant golem who shoots lightning.
He likes sweet things. He was a dock worker in New Orleans before his heritage surfaced. He also gets killed by Kanda during the Ark Arc.
- Berserk Button: "It's not sweet..."
- Body Horror: Whenever Kanda attacked him it tore off huge chunks of his body and left him covered in huge gashes. By the end of his battle both of his arms and half of his torso is gone.
- Facial Markings: Like all of the Noah.
- Killed Off for Real: The only Noah to do so.
- Lightis Not Good: His true form is golden, and his lightning creates a lot of light.
- Made of Iron: He survives several attacks from an exorcist who can cut a level 3.5 akuma IN HALF!
Lulu Bell is the Noah of Form (Noah of Lust is now known to be a mistranslation
of the correct term) who led an attack on the Black Order H.Q. which caused the death of several people incuding Tup Dop.
Lulu Bell can transform into anything she wants to.
Sherril is the Noah of Greed, and is Road's adopted father. He works as a government minister, and is very flamboyant. His ability is telekinesis.
- Berserk Button: Hurting Road. When Road disappeared, he went straight to torturing Lavi to get info out of Bookman.
- Doting Parent
- Evil Chancellor: As a trusted government minister, he's able to manipulate politics to help out the Noahs.
- Lolicon: Tyki suspects him to have married only so that he could "adopt" Road
that's probably not far from the truth.
- Mind over Matter: This is revealed to be Sherril's power as a Noah.
- No Sense of Personal Space: He merrily gets too close to Tyki and Road (his daughter she's just playing the part and is Older Than She Looks, but still), and also holds poor Tokusa while he uses his Noah ability to attack him.
- People Puppets: In recent chapters, he's shown using his telekinesis on members of the Order in this manner.
- Slasher Smile
- Spell My Name with an "S": As there's no official English spelling, fans vary between Sherril, Sheryl, Cyril, and plenty more.
- Stepford Smiler: For the most part, Sherril is always smiling in more or less the same way, his genial smile and Slasher Smile being virtually identical. When his true nature is showing through, however, his eyes convey it quite clearly.
Wisely is the last of the original Apostles of Noah to awaken. He's believed to be the Noah of Wisdom
, and his ability as a Noah is his 'demon eye' which affects the brain.
One of the Noah that woke off-screen. Attacked Lavi and Bookman, and took them as hostages. Also injured Chaozii.
The 14th (Nea Walker)
A man who's shrouded in mystery. The 14th Noah.
The only facts known about him so far are that he backstabbed his own family 35 years ago, killed almost all of them, failed with his biggest goal and was forced flee from Millennium Earl with his brother for years. Timcanpy was originally his golem and it's mentioned that he had given it to Cross with a request to take care of his brother, because he would someday return. The future host happened to be Allen, of all people. While it's unclear when exactly were the 14th's memories implanted to him, Allen just was unfortunate enough to be nearby when he died.* He's now gradually taking over his host's body and mind
Presumably he's taking into account the general info and handful of appearances he's had
. That, and the fact that Earl is still sore for his killing attempt, as 14th was his favorite among the Noahs.
- Big Bad Ensemble: He's out for blood against the Earl and he doesn't care about Apocryphos, but he's easily Allen's most personal antagonist.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Makes his first appearance during 59th chapter in Allen's ominous dream making rather creepy first impression. It can be passed off as nothing, as Allen doesn't seem think about the dream afterwards.
- Dissonant Serenity
- Doppelgänger: When he appears in Allen's mind, he looks almost exactly like Tyki Mikk. This was discussed in chapter 183, when Wisely saw Tyki and was surprised that he looked exactly like "that man".
- Enemy Within: He's one of these to Allen.
- Evil Laugh: When he laughs, even the ground rumbles. As seen in chapter 198.
- Evil Uncle
- The Faceless: Until recently.
- Interestingly, he managed to do this twice; we have a brief, vague glimpse of his face when the Earl dreamed of him promising to always stay by his side and looking to be in his teens, and then we get a good look at him in his Noah form, pictured above, later...
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Chapter 215 reveals that, according to Nea at least, he and Allen were originally friends and Allen was the one who offered his body as Nea's new host.
- Living Memory
- Mysterious Past
- Person of Mass Destruction: He killed almost all of the Noahs 35 years ago, which is definitely no mean feat, and wants to kill and replace the Millennium Earl
- Slasher Smile
- Spell My Name with a "The": For a long time, he's known simply as the 14th. His true name is revealed to be Nea Walker
- Split Personality Takeover: He pulls one of these in chapter 189, but then his host resists and regains control.
- Tries this again in chapter 214 and succeeds.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: As the last page of Chapter 213 has recently shown.
Mana Walker/Mana D. Campbell
Allen's father figure who died when he was around ten or so. After he called Mana back as Akuma, his father cursed him, granting Allen the power to see Akuma's tormented souls. Then Allen's Innocence activated for the first time and he destroyed Mana, which in turn led Allen to become Exorcist.
Before his death Mana worked as travelling entertainer. Despite Allen thinking about him every now and then during the series, very little is actually known about him.
- Death by Origin Story
- I Was Quite a Looker: He clearly inherited his mother's looks.
- Monster from Beyond the Veil: When Allen brought him back as an Akuma.
- Mysterious Parent: Is turning out to be way more important to the plot than we were led to believe at first.
- Nice Hat
- Sad Clown
- Sanity Slippage: According to Cross, after Mana's brother was killed by Millennium Earl he kind of lost it. Which is kind of understatement after author gets into detail about Allen's backstory in Reverse Novel 3. Turns out that Allen didn't actually have a name in the beginning. He takes up that after Mana calls him Allen, mistaking him as his dead dog.
- The Faceless: His face is never shown in full without make-up in the manga. However, Reverse novel 3 reveals that he looks exactly like the Earl's human form.
- Actually, we get a single panel silhouette of him (as a boy) in normal clothes in the manga with his brother. He looks exactly like a younger version of the Earl's human form.
The first Level Three Akuma to appear in the series. The first he does as an impressive fighter, is defeating and nearly killing Bookman and Lavi easily
, then enters a long battle with Lenalee costing her long hair
and loses. He was formerly a Japanese artist.
- Black Eyes of Evil: When she's struggling to resist the Earl's commands.
- Cute Monster Girl: Even in her demonic form, she looks a lot less monstrous than other Akuma. Lavi develops an instant crush on her.
- Lightis Good: Even though she is a demon.
- Heroic Sacrifice: she self-destructs after helping the exorcists.
- Verbal Tic: She says "cho" at the end of her sentences, leading to...
- Verbal Tic Name: Lavi nicknaming her Chomesuke. She likes that name better than her other one.
A kind-looking, cheerful priest on the Black Order HQ. In reality a strange-looking creature called "Apocryphos", a living Innocence whose role is to protect the Heart at all costs. He is powerful enough to scare a Noah. Seems to be the "Third Side of the War", Marian had previously referred to. Confirmed to be the real culprit behind Cross's murder, but his motives and his relation with him have yet to be explained. Currently chasing Allen to perform something that most definitely is bad news.
- Beware the Nice Ones : Oh dear God.
- Big Bad Ensemble: He's the newest antagonist; completely independent, but right up there with Earl and the 14th.
- Body Horror: His feather-related power.
- Expy: Am I the only one who thinks that his priest form looks a little like Anderson?
- Fake Memories: He can implant those in witnesses apparently. While it also works on Kanda, his Healing Factor is able to counter it.
- Feather Motif: And not anywhere that feathers should naturally be.
- Humanoid Abomination: Sentient energy that looks like The Blank, anyone?
- Karmic Transformation: Jasdevi changed him from this◊ to this
- One-Winged Angel: Goes from a kind priest to a weird Blank-ish thing
- Scary Shiny Glasses
- Shout-Out: To Vash The Stampede, Father Anderson, and after being "tooned" by Jasdevi, Charlotte .
- Slasher Smile
- Story-Breaker Power: He singlehandedly counts as "The third side of the war" and in his 2 chapters of combat, it shows. He completely manhandles Tyki and Howard, knocks out Road in 1 hit, regenerates from having a candle shoved through his eye in seconds and is not just immune to, but can also disable Innocences. On top of all this, he can afflict people with a feather-like substance that blinds the affected party and disables their Innonence. He´s the "Grim Reaper when it comes to Noahs".
- The Blank: His real form which does not look right at all, being a white being with no nose and black schlera. But as of Chapter 217, he's been turned by Jasdevi into a Toon form, which is strangely satisfying.
- Winged Humanoid: Briefly displays this, though he doesn't exactly use said wings to fly...
- You Will Be Assimilated: Has this in mind for Allen