- Booster Sets 1-5 introduces the various Clans, and centres upon a civil war unfolding between the Royal Paladins and the dissenting Shadow Paladins as they struggle for control over a unified Cray army.
- Booster Sets 6-9 continue the storyline as the leaders of the Royal Paladins, Shadow Paladins and Kagero clans are sealed away by a mysterious dark force, scattering the unified army and prompting new Clans to emerge and fill the power vacuum. The most prominent of these new Clans are the Gold Paladins, a youthful new band of heroes who must find and retrieve the Seven Sacred Beast Armours in order to break the seal and rescue their comrades.
- Booster Sets 10-15 concern the invasion of an extraterrestrial army known as "Link Joker", who seek to conquer the Planet Cray. This forces the various clans of Cray to band together to fight this new threat, and even unseal previously forbidden powers.
- Booster Sets 16-17 focuses upon a mysterious temporal anomaly that has excised the Royal Paladin "Blaster Blade" from history. As a pre-Civil-War Blaster Blade forms the "Seekers" to discover the truth behind an ominous prophecy, the forces of Cray in the modified present set out to discover the secrets lying within their missing memories.
- G-Booster Sets 1-Present documents the continuing effects of the "Space-Time Overlap Phenomenon", which is pulling mutually-exclusive Units from different timelines into a singular present and threatening the power balance between the nations of Planet Cray. Amidst this turmoil, two new powers have emerged: "Stride", the ability to summon Units from beyond the limits of time and space; and "Gear Chronicle", a mysterious new Clan with the power to manipulate time.
open/close all folders
A chivalrous order of knights who act as the primary standing army of United Sanctuary. They are personally led by the ruler of United Sanctuary, the "King of Knights" Alfred.As a clan, the Royal Paladins focus on using their search and call skills to fill the Rearguard as quickly as possible, gaining power from the number of Royal Paladins in play and using skills to support each other.The Jewel Knight sub-clan follow this style but is a bit more aggressive on their approach gaining power with several Jewel Knight rear-guard on field.The Seeker sub-clan do much of the same but sets up for their powerful Legion units.There was a prophecy which said that the hero of light, Blaster Blade, would one day disappear and his absence would bring disaster to Cray. To avert this crisis, in the past, Blaster Blade formed an alliance of warriors who would find the way to prevent his disappearance: the Seekers. Shown images of the future by the Sage of Time to inspire them, and joined by the Guardian Dragon from the past, Thing Saver Dragon, the Seekers now quest to save their planet's future by finding two hopes.The Royal Paladin keyword is Brave: skills which are active if you have three or fewer cards in your hand.
- Big Good
- Demoted to Extra: Justified in Asia Circuit, where the sealing of Blaster Blade has left their ranks in disarray but shown in the Link Joker arc after Aichi has switched from using Royal Paladin to Gold Paladins, taking with him a lot of the iconic units of the clan. After that, players think Royal Paladins are denied many supports as opposed to the other clans.
- Glass Cannon: The Brave ability unlocks skills when they have three or less cards in hand.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Most of the Royal Paladins prefer to use a sword in combat, ranging from traditional longswords and rapiers to beam sabers and BFS. Even some of the Hi-Dogs like to use swords and daggers in combat!
- Knight in Shining Armor: The Royal Paladins are composed entirely of various beings who adhere to the codes of chivalry and honor.
- No One Gets Left Behind / The Men First: Followed to the letter. The Royal Paladins try their best to keep friendly casualties as low as possible and make sure that no one is left behind. As was the case with Maiden of Darkness, Marha, anyone in the Royal Paladins who tries to pull a We Have Reserves is immediately dealt with appropriately.
- Shout-Out: The Royal Paladins definitely have big shoes to fill as they are basically a modern reincarnation of some of the most universally beloved and badass bunch of heroes ever known: King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
- The Power of Friendship: Their primary tactic is to swarm the field and fight together as one cohesive alliance, supporting each other to soundly obtain victory.
- Theme Naming: After characters in the Arthurian Legend.
- True Companions: The Royal Paladins would never think of abandoning or sacrificing their friends and allies.
King of Knights, Alfred / Alfred Early / Liberator of the Round Table, Alfred / Liberator, Monarch Sanctuary Alfred / Light Origin Seeker, Alfred XIV
I command you under the name of the King of Knights! Heed my call, my warriors!
To preserve the smiles of his people, the young King leads knights to battle.
Stand up again! Golden Absolution!
In order to rid the crisis from this world, we have to be the cornerstone of the sanctuary.
He is the light of hope that shines in the depths of despair.
- A Father To His Kingdom: He always cares about the welfare and happiness of everyone in the United Sanctuary, including his Royal Paladin subordinates. The relationship is mutual, with the populace loving their king and the Royal Paladins always ready to answer their beloved king's calls.
- The Ace: Was known as the strongest swordsman of the Royal Paladins until he became king, passing on his title of strongest swordsman to Blaster Blade.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: Can be quite fearsome when he is together with his nakama.
- Badass Cape
- BFS: Appropriately called the Great Sword.
- Big Good
- Bling of War: Liberator of the Round Table has a lot of gold adornment to his armor
- The Captain: He is the beloved leader of the Royal Paladins.
- Cool Horse: A big, flaming stallion.
- Epic Hail: He can call upon his knights to come forth if they are needed.
- Glory Days: A positive take on the trope, many remember Alfred's younger days very fondly much like a folk tale.
- The Good King: He is the living embodiment of the trope.
- The Idealist: His idealism sometimes leads to disagreements with others, such as with the case of Black Sage, Charon which did not end well.
- Limit Break: Liberator of the Round Table, Alfred has one while Liberator, Monarch Sanctuary Alfred has two, with one of them being an ultimate break.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Friends and allies rejoice and foes cower in fear whenever they hear the King of Knights has arrived.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He is presumably the King of United Sanctuary, judging from his title of King of Knights.
- Shoulder Cannon: Liberator, Monarch Sanctuary Alfred sports a pair on his shoulder, concealed by his armour.
- Shout-Out: To King Arthur and Alfred The Great.
- The Power of Friendship: With his friends and allies by his side, the King of Knights will not fail.
- Light Origin Seeker, Alfred XIV can perform Legion with his trusted friend Blaster Blade (Seeker). His King of Knights form on the other hand is the partner unit to the Vanguard of the King of Knights, Ezer.
- Warrior King: Magnificent, flaming steed in one hand, Great Sword in the other, he is ready to fight and lead his retinue of knights for the sake of his people.
- The Wise King: From Alfred Early's flavor text, it can be reasonably assumed that this is his character.
Blaster Blade/Majesty Lord Blaster/Exculpate The Blaster/Blaster Blade Spirit/Blaster Blade Burst/Blaster Blade Liberator/Blaster Blade Seeker/Swordsman of Light, Ahmes
Courage is the sword of light. Shine forth, Blaster Blade!
Light and shadow, grant me power! Now is the time to turn despair into hope!
That light will change the world...
Reach out... my sword! To the leaders of the new generation!
Continue to grow, and change the world you know. Flash, Burst Blade!
The light of courage illuminates the future. Shine forth, Blaster Blade!
The call of a friend echoes from within the soul! Come forth, Blaster Blade!
Then, the courage becomes a sword.
- The Ace: Is known to be the strongest swordsman in the Royal Paladins.
- All There in the Manual: The Shining Swordsman manga has revealed that his real name is Ahmes.
- Awesome but Temporary: Exculpate The Blaster returns back into Blaster Blade after he attacks.
- Back from the Dead: While technically he's not dead (Only sealed away), but he will be back in spirit/astral/ghost form in the latest booster. Though he now has paper thin armor and can be retired even by the weakest attack.
- Badass Cape: And what a Badass Cape it is◊
- BFS: His sword, the Blaster Blade. Is only overshadowed by Alfred's even bigger BFS.
- Bling of War: As a Liberator.
- The Captain: Leads his own unit of knights within the Royal Paladins.
- Cool Sword: His sword, the Blaster Blade, is a sword that turns courage into raw power, and he is the only one out of everyone in the Royal Paladins that can properly use it. Taken Up to Eleven when he becomes Majesty Lord Blaster and combines the Blaster Blade and Blaster Dark. The resulting sword can Screw Destiny.
- Dark is Not Evil: As Majesty Lord Blaster, his armor is black, but if anything he's more heroic than ever.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Weaponized by Exculpate:His light is so overwhelming that the shadow warriors who used to serve their country entrust their sword and light to the warrior of light.
- The Dreaded: Judging by the efforts they made to remove the possibility of his return, Blade's Majesty Lord Blaster form is this to Link Joker.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Majesty Lord Blaster's sword.
- The Lancer: Might be this to Alfred, judging from Alfred Early's card art.
- Confirmed in his backstory as a close friend of and confidant to Alfred.
- Light is Good: Incredibly so.
- Loyal Phlebotinum: His sword, the Blaster Blade, is this.
- The Mentor: Is an unofficial mentor to Little Sage, Marron, who follows his unit of knights.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Exculpate The Blaster attacks your opponent's ENTIRE FIELD!
- Red Baron / Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His name is actually a nickname derived from his Cool Sword of the same name. As for his real name, it's either not revealed to us or nobody knows it. Furthermore, as Majesty Lord Blaster, he is known as the Ultimate Vanguard. The Shining Swordsman manga has finally revealed his true name as Ahmes.
- Sealed Badass in a Can / Sealed Good in a Can: During the War of Liberation.
- An object that turns courage into raw power? That's strikingly similar to a certain green stone... He then evolves fueled by infinite courage... Sounds similar to a certain cyborg.
- Exculpate the Blaster returns back to Blaster Blade at the end of the turn, sounds similar to this card.
- Blade seems to represent King Arthur as the messianic hero, as evidenced by his sword's Loyal Phlebotinum nature being similar to only Arthur being able to draw the sword from the stone. Similarly, Exculpate's name seems to be a twisted reference to Excalibur.
- Super Mode: Majesty Lord Blaster, and Exculpate the Blaster.
- Team Pet: Wingal is his trusted partner in combat.
- Screw Destiny: Majesty Lord Blaster's sword can 'put an end to the sorrowful cycle of fate and karma'.
- Tron Lines: On his armor.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: As Majesty Lord Blaster he wields both the Blaster Blade and the Blaster Dark, combined into one sword. As summed up by Majesty's SP lore:Light is shining shadow. Shadow is silent light. We are one!
Solitary Knight, Gancelot/Solitary Liberator, Gancelot/Bonds Liberator, Gancelot Zenith
White wings filled with pride. The solitary knight is the one who inherits courage.
That courage shall be passed on to the new generation.
He understands the power of bonds, as well as its value..
- Bling of War: His Liberator forms, with their shiny golden armor.
- Cool Horse: Rides a white pegasus.
- Epic Hail : Gancelot Zenith can call a unit from the top of the deck.
- Famed In-Story: 'He is a battle-scarred veteran whose name is known to all in the United Sanctuary'
- Glass Cannon: Solitary Knight, Gancelot have one of the lowest power of Grade 3, sitting at 9000 Power. Note that even 10000 can count as this trope.
- Heroic Bastard: He was born out of wedlock between an elven noble and a human knight.
- Ineffectual Loner: His title. Otherwise subverted as he values his companionship with Blaster Blade and always answers Alfred's calls. And then we learn the real reason he has the title of Solitary Knight was due to him being a Heroic Bastard and having to fend for himself both in and out of the battlefield. Thankfully, he now has friends.
- Limit Break
- Shout-Out: To Sir Lancelot of the Knights of the Round Table for his namesake and Sir Mordred of the Knights of the Round Table for his illegitimate birth.
- Spell My Name with an "S": While his title is officially translated as Solitary Knight, it's arguable that Knight of Solitude would be more accurate and also uniform with the titles of other fellow knights in the Royal Paladins.
- The Power of Friendship:
- Solitary Liberator's Break Ride allows you to empower three of your rearguards by 5000 power and your vanguard by 10000 power.
- Gancelot Zenith empower the rear-guard called with his skill by 10000 power.
- Took a Level in Badass: From a card that is mainly used as a Blaster Blade searcher, into one of the most powerful Break Ride effect, and finally he get his own Cross Ride.
- Super Mode
- Tron Lines
Knight of Silence, Gallatin/Liberator of Silence, Gallatin
Silence, tells of everything. My sword, thou dedicate.
The King of Knights worked with his Elite troops to help the young people who are confused in their new positions and responsibilities.
- Bling of War: As a Liberator.
- Cursed with Awesome: The reason he wears a blindfold is because he has the ability to see the souls of others. Unfortunately, his eyes are so bright to them that he would instantly burn their souls without his blindfold.
- Lightning Bruiser: He can run very quickly and dish out equal levels of superb swordsmanship.
- Separated at Birth: There are rumors that Gallatin may have a long lost twin brother residing somewhere in the Dragon Empire.
- Shout-Out: To Sir Gawain of the Knights of the Round Table by way of Sir Gawain's sword.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His name was translated with varied spelling owing to his Arthurian namesake before the release of official English cards.
- The Stoic: His title.
Knight of Truth, Gordon
Unshakable, that is the truth.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: His nonchalant, seemingly bored attitude in combat combined with great fencing skills.
- Every Man Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Wears a yellow ribbon on his pony tail.
- No Sell: His armor is known to be impossible to damage.
- Sword Lines: His swordplay results in a lot of these.
- True Companions: Upholds protecting his friends and allies above all else.
Little Sage, Marron/Little Liberator, Marron
My dream is to experience all the mysteries of the world.
If you're talking about strategy, there are a lot. What if you try to use all of them?
- Ambiguous Gender: Assumed male for the purposes of this list, but honestly it's anyone's guess. Word of God says that he is indeed male.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Giant: Subverted. While he is supposedly a Giant, he is always presented as human-sized. Might overlap with Meaningful Name.
- Cute Bruiser: Packs quite a punch when he zaps enemies with magical electricity.
- Megane: Might overlap with Meganekko given his quiet demeanor.
- Nice Hat
- Tag Along Kid: Is this to Blaster Blade.
- The Mentor: Views Blaster Blade as this.
- The Smart Guy: Serves as the Royal Paladins' tactician. Otherwise, he's always off tagging along with Blaster Blade's unit of knights to learn something new.
Sage of Guidance, Zenon
Now, guided by the sage's wisdom, the hero of light comes forth!
- Nice Hat
- Shout-Out: His title is a shout out to Merlin, King Arthur's mentor and friend.
- The Lancer / The Mentor: Judging from his title, flavor text, and skill, it's possible that he guided Alfred to become king just like a certain other wizard.
Great Sage, Baron
I'm just an old fart. My powers grow the more I get drunk, though.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's just an old fart, or so he says. Once he has a few swigs of booze though...
- Drunken Master: Is this in spades.
- The Mentor: Is the mentor to everyone in the Royal Paladins, teaching them of all the things he learned throughout the years.
- Really 700 Years Old: Is one of the oldest living Giants on the planet Cray.
Flash Shield, Iseult/Flashing Jewel Knight, Iseult
Chivalry will never be swayed as long as the Flash Shield is present.
No! I will not let you go any further!
- Cursed with Awesome: Legend has it that the Flash Shield is cursed.
- Deflector Shields: Her Flash Shield creates a magical barrier in the form of magic circles.
- Instant Runes: The way her Flash Shield works.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Her skill completely blocks an attack on a Royal Paladin.
- No Sell: Nothing, absolutely nothing will get past her or her Flash Shield.
- Shout-Out: To Iseult of Ireland.
Stardust Trumpeter/Star Call Trumpeter/Liberator, Star Rain Trumpeter
Sound the trumpets! Now the battle begins!
Soaring high on white wings, bringing along courage.
A star performer appears last! Ta-daaah!
- Ambiguous Gender/Unsettling Gender Reveal: Both tropes averted. Word of God says she's an angelic girl.
- Bling of War: Star Rain Trumpeter, like all Liberators.
- Cute Little Fangs: Has those as Star Rain Trumpeter.
- Epic Hail:
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Hair buns!
- Exotic Eye Designs: Star Rain Trumpeter has star-shaped pupils.
- Hope Bringer: Seeing how much losing her hero gave her despair, Star Rain Trumpter swore to become hope for everyone.
- She Is All Grown Up: Cue timeskip and we see Stardust Trumpeter has grown up to become the Starcall Trumpeter.
- The Power of Rock: Her Magic Trumpet gives her friends and allies the courage and strength to fight on.
When his roar sounds across the battlefield, the heroes will come running.
To fight alongside the legendary swordsman. That is the wish of all the knights.
- Bling of War: His golden armor as a Liberator.
- Epic Hail: As a Royal Paladin he can call forth either Flowgal or the Knight of the Future, Llew to come to his aid. As a Gold Paladin he can call a random Liberator unit.
- The Ace: He was the ace of the Royal Paladin High Dogs Unit. As a Gold Paladin he remains a veteran ace.
- We Can Rebuild Him: His flavor text depicts this.
Wingal/Wingal Brave/Wingal Liberator/Seeker, Sacred Wingal
I know it, you're more courageous than anyone else!
Courage is always within you.
The blade of courage that surpasses despair. Its value is equal to that of gold.
No matter how far apart we are, I will always be by your side.
- Bling of War: As a Liberator.
- Dare to Be Badass: His flavor text.
- The Power of Friendship: Sacred Wingal's 'Legion' ability allows him to become stronger by joining forces with Blaster Blade Seeker, represented in game terms by their two cards linking together to form one single piece of art.
- Reckless Sidekick: Subverted. His recklessness is his positive trait.
- Team Pet: Is always on the frontlines alongside Blaster Blade.
Soul Saver Dragon/Holy Dragon, Religious Soul Saver
Holy Charging Roar will rock the soul of the brave.
The holy dragon has a brave heart.
- Ambiguous Gender: Has led to much Viewer Gender Confusion.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Easily the largest of the Royal Paladins, as shown by the anime.
- Big Good
- Finishing Move: Its Holy Charging Roar skill lasts for one turn, so is usually employed in this fashion.
- Future Badass: Religious Soul Saver is a version of Soul Saver summoned from a possible future by Stride.
- Guardian Entity: It's the guardian dragon of United Sanctuary.
- Light 'em Up: Pretty much an embodiment of the trope.
- Our Angels Are Different: It looks very angelic, and tends to appear in flashes of shining light.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Probably the most nonstandard dragon in Vanguard so far.
- Rousing Roar: Holy Charging Roar. When Soul Saver Dragon appears on the battlefield, it can power up its allies for a turn.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Usually reside in a special realm created by the Sage of Time.
- Sealed Badass in a Can
- The Power of Friendship: Holy Charging Roar increases the power of 3 rear guards by 5000 until the end of the turn.
- Took a Level in Badass
Sanctuary Guard Dragon/Holy Dragon, Sanctuary Guard Regalia
Begone, evil! I am the sword, the guardian dragon of this sanctuary!
The dragon that protects the sanctuary knows the power of small courage.
- Alternate History: Sanctuary Guard Regalia is from an alternate history where Sanctuary Guard Dragon survived, summoned to the regular timeline via Stride.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The 'White Dragon King' who founded the United Sanctuary and fought to protect it.
- Cool Sword: So cool that after his death it was handed down as part of his legacy.
- Dare to Be Badass: Sanctuary Guard Regalia: It's said his light changes those with even the smallest amount of courage into true heroes.
- Dual Wielding: Sanctuary Guard Regalia wields two swords.
- Expy: He is more or less King Arthur as a dragon.
- Guardian Entity
- Heroic Sacrifice: He fought for the United Sanctuary until doing so killed him.
- Light is Good
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Our Founder: He is the founder of the United Sanctuary.
- The Power of Friendship: In both of his forms, he is empowered by your grade 1 or lower rear-guards.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Known as the White Dragon King, and sacrificed himself protecting the United Sanctuary.
- What Could Have Been: In-universe, Sanctuary Guard Regalia comes from a world where the Grand Sanctuary never split into the United Sanctuary and Dragon Empire.
Beast Knight, Garmore/Fang of Light, Garmore/Great Silver Wolf, Garmore/Wolf Fang Liberator, Garmore
Guys, aid me with your fangs!
The fighting spirit is the fang to pierce the enemy! Glorious Fang!
Roar, silver wolf of the Gods! Glorious Break!
The Wolf Fang knight is a living legend, and what the young knights aspire to be someday.
- Ancient Artifact: His Silver Wolf Armor.
- Animal Motifs: Dogs at first, then wolves in his Gold Paladin form due to his Beast Armor.
- Badass Army: Was part of one, and then formed another one to go save the first one.
- Badass Cape
- Noble Wolf: What his armor represents; a wolf that is knight-like and empowered by its pack.
- The Big Guy: His skill when he was a Royal Paladin fits with Royal Paladin's consistency, and his calling skill when he started as a Gold Paladin is the most consistent one available. Even as a Liberator, his random calling skill can turn into something useful by filling the field.
- Bling of War: His Grade 3 forms all wear shiny gold armor.
- The Chosen One: Of the Silver Wolf Armor.
- Covers Always Lie: Is prominently featured in the openning for the second season, even though Aichi rarely use him(if at all) until his Liberator version makes a debut one season later.
- Epic Hail: All of his forms have the ability to call out his comrades, but especially Wolf Fang Liberator, whose Limit Break can cause your field to go from empty to full in one move.
- Four-Star Badass
- Knight in Shining Armor
- Limit Break: Great Silver Wolf and Wolf Fang Liberator.
- The Mentor: Great Silver Wolf, Garmore was this to the newly-founded Gold Paladins.
- The Power of Friendship: Fang of Light gets +1000 Power for each Snogal and Brugal on your field.
- Wolverine Claws: Attached to his gauntlets.
- Wolverine Publicity: As noted above, Garmore is prominently featured in the anime openning for the second season, yet he is upstaged by Ezel. He make a return in the third season, except this time, he actually appeared frequently in a fight. It helps that Garmore is one of the more popular Gold Paladin.
Pure Heart Jewel Knight, Ashlei/Broken Heart Jewel Knight, Ashlei Я
- Become the cornerstone of the future! Pure Foundation!Now, my resolution is firm...Lost Foundation!
- Bright Is Not Good: Ashlei Я wears primarily white and red, yet as a whole she looks closer to a Link Joker unit than a Royal Paladin one.
- Childhood Friends: She's been friends with Feerless Jewel Knight, Julia since childhood.
- Cool Shades: Ashlei Я. It even resembles Kamina's or Squirtle's shades.
- The Corruption: Ashlei Я.
- Dark Messiah: Ashlei Я. Her wish for ideal peace is still the same as Ashlei even after being reversed. The only thing that changed is that she will DO ANYTHING for that goal.
- Dual Wielding: Ashlei Я
- Gainaxing: Shown in a "Blink And You'll Miss It" moment in episode 157. Apparently Masami Obari has influence way beyond Daikaiser and Omega Glendios.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Implied as she does not doubt or suspect others so her entourage has to keep a close eye on her.
- I Have Your Comrades: The Link Joker forces her to surrender to them in return for sparing the paladins they had captured.
- Laser Sword: Of a rapier variant. Ashlei Я later dual wields a pair of those.
- The Leader: She's the Grandmaster of the Jewel Knights.
- Limit Break
- Magic Knight: Like all Jewel Knights, her armor and weapons are embedded with magical jewels.
- Master Swordswoman: Her skills with the sword are said to rival Blaster Blade.
- Power of Trust: The source of Ashlei's strength is "Trust".
- The Power of Friendship:
- Ashlei can give your new Vanguard +10'000 Power and +1 Critical, and her lore says that "She fights by believing in her own power, as well as her companions'".
- Used against her when the Link Joker use captured paladins as leverage to force her to surrender and Reverse her.
- Ashlei Я uses this in a darker manner: She locks one rearguard to retire an opponent's rearguard and call another Jewel Knight to your field.
- Royal Rapier: BEAM rapier. Ashlei Я later dual wields a pair of those that looks similarly to the Star Swords with a physical hilt.
- Super Mode: Broken Heart Jewel Knight, Ashlei Я
- Tempting Fate: Ashlei's lore cited she wields the "Pure White Pearl Jewel" which can never be clouded nor tarnished. Guess what happened. The jewel transformed into a color of pathetic grey, which is neither white nor black after being reversed.
Seeker, Thing Saver Dragon
Life and hope are my wings! Flash, Eternal Wing!
- Guardian Entity: It was the guardian dragon of the Sanctuary before Soul Saver Dragon.
- Heroic Second Wind: It can ride a copy of itself from the deck and then immediately Legion that copy with Blaster Blade Seeker via its skill.
- Light 'em Up
- Light is Good
- Our Dragons Are Different
- The Power of Friendship: Its Legion ability lets it combine its power with Blaster Blade Seeker.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His name was originally translated by fans as Seeker, Sing Saver Dragon.
Blue Sky Knight, Altmile/Aerial Divine Knight, Altmile/Transcending the Heavens, Altmile
Simple. Just believe in your own possibility.
The perfectly clear wide sky...... that is the future.
If the heavens should stand in my way, I shall surpass the heavens.
- The Ace: Is considered an elite knight.
- Childhood Friends: He and Livarot come from the same town and they have been friends since childhood.
- Epic Hail: Like other Royal Paladins, he has a skill that call units. But unlike the others, he calls from the hand instead of the deck.
- Soaring Divine Knight, Altmile can call a grade 2 from the deck.
- Future Badass: Soaring Divine Knight, Altmile is one of Altmile's future possibilities, as is Transcending the Heavens, Altmile.
- Master Swordsman: Altmile is very skilled with the sword.
- The Power of Friendship: Both of his skills give his allies an additional 5000 Power.
- His Stride form powers up the front row by 3000 Power and the unit called by his skill by 5000 Power.
- Super Mode: Aerial Divine Knight, Altmile is the form Altmile obtained after gaining the power of his future self through Stride Fusion in order to fight back against Fenrir.
- Give your lives to the cursed dragon!
- Anti-Hero: The Revengers are effectively the Batman to the Superman of the Royal and Gold Paladins.
- Badass Cape: Every single Revenger has a crimson one. Even the High Dogs, fortresses and dragons.
- Be All My Sins Remembered: The reformed Shadow Paladins were offered to rejoin the Sanctuary's official army but they refused, citing that they do not deserve it and need no honour. But they will atone for their sins by protecting the Sanctuary from the shadows.
- Dirty Business: In the alternate timeline of the Set 16 era, the Revengers have become the Sanctuary's black ops, performing the missions that the rest of the Sanctuary's forces cannot.
- Evil Counterpart: To the Royal Paladins, until the end of Season 1. Toned down starting with Season 3, the Revengers seem to be a more Anti-Hero group in comparison to the Knight In Shining Armour Royal and Gold Paladins.
- Face–Heel Turn: Most of the Shadow Paladins are defectors and deserters from the Royal Paladins, with reasons ranging from philosophical disagreements to plain out jealousy and even a case of mistaken gender.
- Heel–Face Turn: After being reformed by Blaster Dark.
- I Did What I Had to Do: A major theme of the Revengers is that they are willing to do whatever it takes to protect the Sanctuary. As such, they are used as the Sanctuary's black ops forces who fight in secrecy.
- Theme Naming: After Irish/Welsh/Celtic/Scottish myth and legends.
- True Companions: The Revengers. As shown by Mordred's SP flavor text:A Revenger never forgets the souls of their brothers-in-arms.
- We Have Reserves: Unlike the Royal Paladins, the Shadow Paladins don't view high casualties as a bad thing. Phantom Blaster Dragon takes this to its ultimate conclusion.
- It's continued with the Revengers, although their spin on it is more along the lines of I Did What I Had to Do: rationalising sacrifices as necessary to protect the Sanctuary.
Blaster Dark/Blaster Dark Spirit/Blaster Dark Revenger/Blaster Dark Revenger "Abyss"/Blaster Dark "Diablo"/Swordsman of Light, Junos
Determination is the sword of darkness. Thunder forth, Blaster Dark!
I have no intentions of being sealed without a fight. That is all.
Glorification is only fitting for those in the light. Shadows shall proceed down the necessary path.
Let's go, comrades, further into the Abyss.
Then, the determination becomes a sword.
- Always Someone Better: Arguably this has defined Blaster Dark. In the past, he was outshone by Blaster Blade and his jealousy drove him into the shadows. Once Mordred leaves, forcing him to become grandmaster, he clearly feels unsuited for the job and continually asks himself what Mordred would do.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Since he became grandmaster, some have tried to challenge him for the position, but he has defeated all of them.
- The Atoner: Dark Revenger is attempting to make up for all that he did in the past by protecting the United Sanctuary.
- Back from the Dead: While technically he's not dead (Only sealed away), but he will be back in spirit/astral/ghost form in the latest booster. Though he now has paper thin armor and can be retired even by the weakest attack.
- Badass Cape: As Dark Revenger
- BFS: The Blaster Dark.
- Black Knight: Like other shadow paladin, he wears black armor.
- The Captain:
- Was the Grandmaster of the Shadow Paladins in the alternate timeline.
- He also becomes this after the war with Link Joker, when Mordred leaves to deal with Gust Blaster.
- The Chains of Commanding: Blaster Dark always passed the role of leader to another and once he's forced into becoming grandmaster due to the departure of Mordred, his quiet ways cause misunderstandings and divisions to fracture the Shadow Paladins.
- Dark is Evil: At first
- Dark is Not Evil: However, he has since become a hero, fighting alongside his rival to protect the United Sanctuary, and founding the Revengers to combat Link Joker.
- Determinator: His sword is powered by his resolve.
- Evil Counterpart: To Blaster Blade, at first.
- Face–Heel Turn: Joined the Shadow Paladin due to his jealousy of Blaster Blade.
- Gratuitous Spanish: The "Diablo" in Blaster Dark "Diablo"'s name is Spanish for Devil.
- Green-Eyed Monster: His reason for defecting is his raging jealousy of Blaster Blade. Ironically, he actually has green eyes.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: In the alternate timeline, he can sense that the universe has changed due to Blaster Blade's absence, and resolves to set it right.
- The Rival: To Blaster Blade
- Save the Villain: In the alternate timeline, he saved Phantom Blaster from death.
- Sealed Badass in a Can / Sealed Good in a Can: During the War of Liberation.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: His motive in the alternate timeline is to restore Blaster Blade, fixing the timeline.
- Shoulders of Doom
- Take Up My Sword: After their final confrontation, he gives his sword to Blaster Blade, allowing him to become Majesty Lord Blaster.
- Tron Lines: The lines are spiky compared to Blaster Blade's straight lines.
- You Are in Command Now: He is made grandmaster of the Shadow Paladins by Mordred when the latter leaves to confront Gust Blaster Dragon. Promptly deconstructed as Blaster Dark has never had to be a leader before, and his inexperience and indecisiveness leave the clan open to Claret Sword's corruption.
Phantom Blaster Dragon/Phantom Blaster Overlord/Gust Blaster Dragon/Revenger, Phantom Blaster "Abyss"/Dark Dragon, Phantom Blaster "Diablo"
Death and Despair are my blades! Shadow Erosion!
O fate, grant me more despair!
Abandon all hope! For I am blacker than darkness and a fate worse than death!
Perish! All living things!
Reverberate in death and agony! Roar, Eternal Abyss!
You do not yet know, what is true despair.The original Big Bad of the Vanguard lore, and founder of the Shadow Paladins. He was originally "Sin Saver Dragon", the Guardian Dragon of the Planet Cray. This position connected him to the hearts and minds of Cray's inhabitants, and over many centuries he became increasingly jaded by the selfish thoughts and wishes he was exposed to. Eventually, the darkness warped him body and soul into Phantom Blaster Dragon, a creature of pure malevolence who gathered an army of despair (the Shadow Paladins) by preying on the weaknesses of the heart and manipulating people to his side. It is eventually revealed that he had been influenced by the power of Void, who wished to cause dissent on Planet Cray and weaken it in preparation for invasion.After its defeat, the corrupt soul of Phantom Blaster Dragon was left to wander Planet Cray. When the forces of Link Joker invaded and plunged Planet Cray into despair, this soul was able to absorb enough negative emotion to form a new body for itself, becoming Ghast Blaster Dragon. However, the righteous part of his soul that was once Sin Saver Dragon also remained, and eventually reincarnated as Mordred Phantom.In the alternate timeline created by Blaster Blade's disappearance in the Set 16 onwards arc, the civil war unfolded with Phantom Blaster being mortally wounded by Alfred at the war's end. As he was not judged by Majesty Lord Blaster, his soul did not split as it did in the main timeline. To save him, Blaster Dark performed a ritual where he bound his soul to Phantom Blaster's, branding them both with the word 'Abyss'. In return, Phantom Blaster has become a part of the Revengers. However, this possible future has since disappeared.In the present, one of Phantom Blaster Dragon's possible future forms, Phantom Blaster "Diablo", was summoned in response to the rampage of the Raincloud-calling Nine-headed Dragon King, managing to defeat it and return it to its own time. Whether this is truly the same Phantom Blaster responsible for the first Civil War is currently unknown.
- All There in the Manual: We first learnt of his Thing Saver Dragon form from the Shining Swordsman manga.
- Anti-Hero: As Phantom Blaster "Abyss"
- Bad Boss: Phantom Blaster Dragon sees his subordinates as mere tools and has no problem making them his next meal when they become useless.
- Big Bad: He's the creator and leader of the Shadow Paladins.
- Big Good: Implied to be this before he went over the Despair Event Horizon.
- Blade on a Stick: His weapon is a dual-ended lance.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: Gust Blaster's name has gained some notoriety for this, as it's quite likely supposed to be Ghast Blaster, fitting the established Theme Naming of Phantom Blaster and his related units, and also coming across as a much more ominous name.
- Casting a Shadow
- Dark is Evil: In spades.
- Deadpan Snarker: As Phantom Blaster "Abyss", he adopts a mocking and sarcastic tone around Blaster Dark.
- Despair Event Horizon: Seeing the darkness in the people he wanted to protect drove him completely over the edge.
- Dual Wielding: Phantom Blaster Overlord dual-wields two massive swords.
- Evil Counterpart: To Soul Saver Dragon and King of Knights, Alfred.
- Fallen Hero: According to Phantom Blaster Overlord's Card of the Day profile, Phantom Blaster was once a guardian dragon who protected United Sanctuary, but was corrupted after witnessing the darkness of many thousands of people and became consumed by despair. He fell into an abyss, and rose in his current form.
- Heroic Second Wind: As Phantom Blaster "Abyss", his skill allows him to stand and attack once more by sacrificing his allies.
- Morton's Fork: Phantom Blaster "Diablo" follows in Maelstrom Reverse and Dragonic Overlord "The X"'s footsteps with its skill. If the opponent doesn't sacrifice two of his rearguards, he won't be able to call cards from his hand as guardians.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Phantom Blaster "Diablo" literally means Phantom Blaster Devil.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Damned Charging Lance. Taken Up to Eleven with the same skill as used by Phantom Blaster Overlord.
- Omnicidal Maniac:nAfter becoming Phantom Blaster Overlord, he wants to kill everything.
- Made even worse as Gust Blaster, where this is literally all he has left.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Gust Blaster consists of Phantom Blaster's raw malice, which endured after he was killed.
- Our Souls Are Different: Dragruler Phantom's lore reveals that Phantom Blaster had two souls, that of his darkness and malice, and the soul of light he possessed as a guardian dragon. After his death, the two separated, with the dark soul becoming Gust Blaster, and the soul of light merging with a wounded knight to become Dragruler Phantom.
- Apparently on Cray, souls can be joined together, as this is how Blaster Dark saved Phantom Blaster in the alternate timeline.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Phantom Blaster's eyes are red, and he isn't someone you want to have as an enemy.
- Spell My Name with an "S":
- His guardian dragon form's name has been variously translated as either Sin Saver Dragon or Sing Saver Dragon. It turned out to be Thing Saver Dragon.
- Gust Blaster's name was initially translated as Ghast Blaster by fans.
- Super Mode: Phantom Blaster Overlord.
- Tron Lines: Phantom Blaster Dragon has two colors, normally at white blue but when Damned/Corrupted Charging Lance is used, it turns red.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: His way of powering his ultimate attack is to eat members of the Shadow Paladins that have outlived their usefulness. Phantom Blaster Overlord however averts this, he powers Damned Charging Lance with a higher Counterblast and discarding a copy of himself from your hand.
- He carries on the theme as Ghast Blaster, Phantom Blaster "Abyss", and Phantom Blaster "Diablo".
Black Sage, Charon/Pitch Black Sage, Charon
Face the reality. What you must do is beyond that.
Yes, to know one's standing is indeed important.A giant who serves in the Shadow Paladins, he originally joined them due to his cynicism clashing with the idealistic views of Alfred and the other leaders of the Sanctuary. Ever since Blaster Dark reformed the clan, he has served as an advisor and confidant, remaining loyal to the black knight of determination even as Claret Sword Dragon's ideals of supremacy challenge Blaster Dark's authority.
- The Cynic: The reason he defected to the Shadow Paladins.
- Dark is Not Evil: Charon has stood by Blaster Dark from the beginning and his loyalty to his grandmaster is unwavering.
- Evil Counterpart: Originally, to Marron.
- Honest Advisor: He is very clear with Blaster Dark that Claret Sword is not the only dissenter in the Shadow Paladin ranks.
- Instant Expert: He can copy magic used by others at 60% efficiency just by seeing it used once.
- Our Giants Are Bigger: Played with, as he uses magic to appear human-sized.
- The Smart Guy: He serves as this to Blaster Dark, advising him.
- Tagalong Kid: As part of being an Evil Counterpart to Marron, but his role has shifted into being Blaster Dark's advisor.
Origin Mage, Ildona
Nothing can escape from its "long arms".
- Casting a Shadow
- Dark is Evil
- Despair Event Horizon: His fall to evil was his despair at nobody taking his advice.
- Fallen Hero: He was once a noble mage who advised all of the people, before they began to ignore him and wage endless wars against each other.
- Meaningful Name: Ildona seems to be a rendering of Il Dana, a title for Lugh, a major god in Celtic Mythology.
- Time Abyss: He is said to be even older than the United Sanctuary
- The Unreveal: Although the lore makes it clear he and Phantom Blaster were good friends, it isn't clear who fell first and who was corrupted by the other.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness
Darkside Trumpeter/Revenger, Dark Bond Trumpeter/Darkheart Trumpeter
When the trumpet sounded, the fallen warrior rose to his feet.
Yes ......I have summoned. Do your best.
I shall... be your opponent.A girl who served in the Royal Paladins who envied Stardust Trumpeter. Her lore was originally translated as her being a boy who was mistaken as a girl, but recent re-translation has said this was a mistake.
- Affably Evil: Considering her reason for her Face–Heel Turn, it's questionable whether she's actually evil in nature.
- Epic Hail: Dark Bond Trumpeter can Superior Call a Grade 0 Revenger from the deck. Darkheart can call any
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Has the same style of hair buns as Stardust Trumpeter.
- Evil Counterpart: To Stardust Trumpeter.
- Face–Heel Turn: Joined the Shadow paladins because she was jealous of Stardust Trumpeter.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Her envy for Stardust Trumpeter led her to join the Shadow Paladins.
- The Quiet One: She doesn't speak often.
Darkness Maiden, Macha/Dark Night Maiden, Macha
We'll show them who's more powerful! All troops, charge!
The time to stay hidden has passed! All troops, attack!
- Epic Hail: When she's called to the field, she can call forth other Shadow Paladins to the field.
- Evil Counterpart: To Hi-Dog Breeder Akane. Also to Knight of Truth, Gordon, owing to their identical statistics and completely polar philosophies.
- Face–Heel Turn
- Spell My Name with an "S": Marha? Maaha? Macha? English printing of the card confirms it's Macha.
- The Neidermeyer: She is reputedly a skilled, cunning commander with the fatal flaw of having almost no care for her subordinates' lives if it will mean the difference between victory and defeat.
- Tron Lines: blue ones.
- We Have Reserves: She was placed under house arrest by the Royal Paladins for exercising this belief in her strategy. She defected to the Shadow Paladins soon after.
The Dark Dictator
- My sword shall guide you into the dark abyss...
- The Ace: To quote his lore:His sword fighting surpasses that of any swordsman, and his knowledge is greater than that of any sage.
- Badass Cape
- Casting a Shadow
- The Captain: He is the only person besides Phantom Blaster Dragon who the Shadow Paladins will follow.
- Cloning Blues: Implied by his hatred of Alfred, who he was based on.
- Dark is Evil
- Evil Counterpart: To King of Knights, Alfred.
- Genius Bruiser
- Not So Stoic: When he sees Alfred, who he is determined to kill.
- The Power of Friendship: Ironically. He gains Power from the Shadow Paladin Rearguards who fight alongside him, and in turn, he can empower them.
- The Stoic: When not dealing with Alfred.
- Super Soldier: Created expressly to kill Royal Paladins by Phantom Blaster Dragon.
- Tron Lines
- Warrior King
Illusionary Revenger, Mordred Phantom/Revenger, Dragruler Phantom/True Revenger, Dragruler Revenant
Now is the time to show them our resolution! Revengers, follow me!
You have great endurance. Let's finish this with my sword.
There are those that cannot live outside of the dark. Dragons, and knights as well.The enigmatic new leader of the "Revengers". No-one knows who Mordred Phantom is or why Blaster Dark would choose to make him the leader of the reformed Shadow Paladins: there are only rumours that he has protected Planet Cray from the shadows for many decades, appearing on bloodstained battlefields like a ghost and disappearing just as swiftly. He is actually the reincarnation of Phantom Blaster Dragon, or at least the part of his soul that was once the righteous Sin Saver Dragon. While the dark half of his soul created a new body for itself by absorbing the negative emotions of the Planet Cray, the light half lingered until it came across a mortally-wounded knight. For the sake of their mutual survival, they merged into one being: a body of darkness with a soul of light.After the conclusion of the "Star-Vasion War", Mordred leaves the Shadow Paladins in order to deal with Gust Blaster Dragon once and for all. The appearance of a future Phantom Blaster Dragon, summoned to the present with "Stride", indicates his ultimate fate.
- The Atoner: It's heavily implied that he acts as he does out of shame at the atrocities he committed in his past life.
- Badass Boast: In Dragruler Phantom's loreTo prevent the destruction of the world, I shall become the shadow of the Sanctuary forever.
- Badass Cape: Even in his true form.
- Black Knight: He wears black armor and rides a black steed.
- The Captain: He is the leader of the Revengers.
- Dark is Not Evil: Despite his dark armor, Mordred is a solid hero who will protect the United Sanctuary no matter the cost.
- Epic Hail: His Break Ride skill lets him call out any Grade 2 or lower Shadow Paladin from the deck, while Dragruler Revenant can sacrifice a Revenger to call a Grade 1 or less Revenger from the deck.
- Evil Counterpart: While more anti-heroic than evil, he is clearly intended as a counterpart to Gancelot. Both are Break Rides, both ride pegasi, both wield swords, etc.
- Guardian Entity: He possesses the original soul of Phantom Blaster Dragon, that of a guardian dragon of light. Dragruler's lore refers to him as 'the guardian of light who accepts his own darkness'
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Uses one.
- The Leader: Blaster Dark made him the leader of the Revengers, even if no one's sure why.
- Limit Break
- Mysterious Past: And no one knows who he is.
- Our Dragons Are Different: In Mordred's case, he can take elven form to conceal his true dragon identity.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted. In spite of his dark appearance and red eyes, Mordred is a hero to the core.
- Reincarnation: He is the reborn form of Phantom Blaster's original spirit, that of the Guardian Dragon of United Sanctuary.
- Theme Naming: Named after Mordred, tying him into the King Arthur theme of Royal and Gold Paladins.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: While not to the degree of Majesty Lord Blaster, Dragruler's lore states that he 'bears the spirit of light and the power of darkness'.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Dragruler Phantom can sacrifice his allies to gain Power and force the opponent to take a Damage, while Dragruler Revenant sacrifices an ally to call a grade 1 or less Revenger from the deck.
Knight of Nullity, Masquerade/Transient Revenger, Masquerade/Nullity Revenger, Masquerade
Its mask is blank. It slashes the enemy without showing feelings nor will.
A shadow knight truly understands the vast uncertainty.
The knights take on the duties of shadows with pride.
- The Atoner: As a Revenger, he fights because he is ashamed he allowed himself to be manipulated.
- Badass Cape: As a Revenger, Nullity Revenger has a crimson one.
- BFS: Knight of Nullity and Nullity Revenger both wield one.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Knight of Nullity was brainwashed and controlled by Phantom Blaster Dragon.
- Dark is Evil: As Knight of Nullity due to being Brainwashed and Crazy.
- Dark is Not Evil: Transient Revenger and Nullity Revenger
- The Faceless: He keeps his face hidden behind his armor out of shame at allowing Phantom Blaster Dragon to control him.
- Fallen Hero: He was once the 'Knight of Transcience' among the Royal Paladins, until Phantom Blaster Dragon took control of him.
- Foreshadowing: From Knight of Nullity's lore:resulting in there being rumors that he is a but a puppet controlled by the powers of darkness wielded by Phantom Blaster Dragon.
- Knight Templar: His former identity, the Knight of Transcience, is implied to be one:His true identity is "Knight of Transcience", a famed warrior who exterminated the evil with his merciless heart and sword.
Skull Witch, Nemain/Young Skull Witch, Nemain
Don't worry. You will surely contribute to victory.
Ah, did it absorb too much?
- Cute Witch / Hot Witch: Was orginally the latter, but has the become the former after having her youth restored.
- Discard and Draw: Her original card's ability. When called, you can counterblast 1 card and discard a card from your hand to draw two new ones. Young Skull Witch, Nemain inverts this, by letting you draw before you have to discard.
- Fountain of Youth: Became younger after consuming a potion made by her sister Arianrhod.
- Miss Fanservice: Just look at her outfit.
- Weak, but Skilled: Nemain has the lowest power of any grade 2 unit at 3000, but her skill makes for it.
Revenger, Raging Form Dragon/True Revenger, Raging Rapt Dragon
We, the ones living in the shadows shall take you down with all our might!
The anger of shadows leaves nowhere to run.
- Badass Cape
- Be All My Sins Remembered: Was saved by Soul Saver Dragon from the corruption and offered to rejoin the Royal Paladins but it refused, saying that he is too tainted.
- The Corruption: He was corrupted into an Abyss Dragon by Phantom Blaster Dragon.
- Dark is Not Evil
- Of Phantom Blaster Dragon. His skill combines the sacrifice element of Blaster Dragon with the Persona element of Blaster Overlord. And he's an Abyss Dragon serving a prominent role in the Shadow Paladins.
- Fittingly, he's also an Expy of Spectral Duke, as he also has a Limit Break which lets him sacrifice three allies to (in a way) stand himself, and is an Abyss Dragon fighting for the side of good.
- Heroic Second Wind: His Limit Break allows him to Superior Ride a new copy of himself from the hand, giving him a second attack. Raging Rapt Dragon can Superior Stride a copy of himself by discarding two grade 3 Abyss Dragons.
- Limit Break
- Pun: Due to L and R sounding the same in Japanese phonetics, his name could also be translated as Raging Folm. Folm is an Old English word for hand or palm, referencing his glowing left hand.
- Unstoppable Rage: Embodies this
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness
Supremacy Dragon, Claret Sword Dragon
The claret blade. It bears a bloody history.A ruthless dragon who serves in the Shadow Paladins. He takes issue with the Shadow Paladin philosophy of "protecting United Sanctuary from the shadows" and believes more overt action is needed to fulfil their duty.To this end, he challenged Blaster Dark "Diablo" for leadership of the Shadow Paladins but was defeated in a duel. Retreating into the shadows, Claret Sword began to build a formidable power base by gathering other disillusioned Shadow Paladins and using Stride to secure the aid of the terrible Aurageyser Dragon from the future.His philosophy of Might Makes Right has only become more extreme since his loss to Blaster Dark, to the point of using forbidden magic and unethical experiments to increase his combat ability. This culminates in a declaration that the weak do not deserve protection, and a call to war against United Sanctuary.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Attempted when he challenged Blaster Dark, but he was defeated.
- Big Bad: At present.
- Civil War: His challenge of Blaster Dark represents the war brewing within the Shadow Paladins between those who follow Blaster Dark's ideals, and those who seek an order dedicated to military rule.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Using information acquired by torturing Gear Chronicle's agents, Claret Sword has experimented with Stride and created an enhanced Stride technique called Over Stride, resulting in the fearsome Aurageyser Dragon, at the cost of damaging space-time. It also places massive strain on his body and mind, which ends up being the death of him.
- Dark is Evil: He's a cruel, ruthless tyrant who wants to impose military rule on the United Sanctuary and uses forbidden dark magic.
- Devour the Dragon: Aurageyser does this to him when the strain of Over Stride takes its toll and cripples his mind and body.
- Epic Hail: His skill Superior Calls a card from the deck.
- Expy: He carries the same skill as the original Phantom Blaster Dragon (+10000 power and +1 critical) but with a modern cost (Generation Break 2 and retire 2 instead of Counterblast 2 and retire 3).
- On the subject of Phantom Blaster, Claret Sword comes across as a redone PBD with minor differences. Both are Abyss Dragons who serve as a grandmaster of the Shadow Paladins, both despise the weak, both want to overthrow the Sanctuary, and Claret Sword causes a civil war exactly as PBD did. The major difference is in their aims, Phantom Blaster sought mindless destruction for its own sake, while Claret Sword aspires to a Sanctuary unified by unyielding military rule.
- Meaningful Name: His name refers to the red color of his sword.
- Might Makes Right: His philosophy.
- Military Coup: Alluded to: the characters in his name translated as "Supremacy" can also be read as 'Military Rule'.
- Our Dragons Are Different: An abyss dragon.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: His red sword and black coloration indicate his evil nature.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Is mentioned as having joined the Shadow Paladins not too long ago.
- Technicolor Blade: He uses a red sword.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Cuts down Branwen when it becomes clear the tide has turned against his forces. He then receives such an end himself courtesy of Aurageyser.
Supremacy Black Dragon, Aurageyser Dragon/Supremacy Black Dragon, Aurageyser Doomed
To the battlefield. As if advancing on an empty plain.
Weakness is a sin.A destructive dragon summoned from the future by the negative emotions of Claret Sword Dragon. While most Units summoned through Stride are "beings that could exist", Aurageyser is an aberrant "being that never should have existed". Not even the most powerful members of Gear Chronicle understand exactly what Aurageyser Dragon is or how he came to be.
- Bowdlerise: The English card game changes Aurageyser Damned's name to Aurageyser Doomed.
- Cool Horse: A massive, mechanized horse with horns.
- Dark is Evil: It serves Claret Sword and sacrifices its allies brutally.
- Future Badass: Averted; Aurageyser Dragon doesn't exist in any future. It's more like an artificial life created wholecloth from Claret Sword Dragon's emotions and the forbidden reinforcement magicks used in its Stride.
- Might Makes Right: Weakness is a sin pretty much sums it up.
- Shout-Out: Aurageyser Damned's flavor text is a direct quote from Kanzaki in Vanguard G. Naturally, he uses the card.
- Technicolor Blade: Its sword has a light blue blade.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: It devours a crippled Claret Sword for this reason.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Absorbs Claret Sword's soul when he loses his mind due to the side effects of Over Stride.
Dragheart, Luard/Dragdriver, Luard
The power that was accumulated in secret, awakens now.
I will... show you that I can even surpass the sky!
- Body Horror: Luard's left arm in both forms has been replaced with a red dragon arm.
- Dark is Not Evil: Luard was adopted by a knight of the Shadow Paladins when he was a young orphan, and even now, all he wants is vengeance on the person who slew that knight.
- Epic Hail: Both of them can call grade 1 cards from the deck.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Luard was orphaned at a very young age and taken in by a knight of the Shadow Paladins.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Luard practices a form of magic called Dragrise, which allows its users to take on the aspects of a dragon. As Dragheart, he can transform his left arm into a dragon arm, and as Dragdriver, he gains wings and a tail.
- Red Right Hand: Almost literally, his left arm burns red and looks like a dragon's.
- Revenge: He abandoned the way of the sword and began learning the secret Dragrise arts to seek vengeance on the one who killed the knight who adopted him.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: His eyes are golden and he definitely has some kind of special power.
- Winged Humanoid: As Dragdriver.
Oracle Think Tank
A Mega Corp. which primarily deals in fortune telling. Their ability to predict the future is so valued that even the king of United Sanctuary seeks their council when making important decisions. A Running Gag is that their weather forecasts are never accurate.They specialise in creating hand advantage by using effects that let them draw additional cards, as well as manipulate their regular draws by checking and reorganising cards from the top of the deck. G-Booster Set 5 introduced the "Oracle" ability, which grants an additional skill when the player has at least five cards in their hand.
- Big Good: The Royal Paladins and the Oracle Think Tank share a close relationship, with the Royal Paladins frequently hiring the Oracle Think Tank's services to predict how their battles will turn out and adjust their strategy accordingly. Alfred himself frequently hires the Oracle Think Tank to advise him on administering over the United Sanctuary. Considering who Alfred is, it says a lot about the goodness of the Oracle Think Tanks.
- Demoted to Extra: From a clan that was used by a main character that was put to the side lines since Misaki switched over to using Genesis in the Link Joker Arc.
- Moreso in the G era, despite going to two supporting characters AND Misaki who will sometimes go back to the clan, they don't cardfight that often.
- Mega Corp.: Played with. The Oracle Think Tank is a mega corporation spanning all of Planet Cray, but they don't have any plans for world domination. Instead, their specialty is in predicting the future, concerning everything from one's love life to tomorrow's weather forecast.
- Running Gag: Their weather forecasts are never accurate. If they predict tomorrow will be sunny, it's going to be raining cats and dogs.
- Shout-Out: Numerous references to various religions and fields of science are present in the Oracle Think Tank's members.
- Theme Naming: After Japanese and Greek gods and deities.
- Worf Effect: In the G-era, they have had the second worse support of all the clans and has found themselves absolutely no place in competitive play by G-Set 7. Other clans not part of the meta can at least find a way around or has a trick or two up their sleeve with clan specific gimmicks. Oracle Think Tank is very straight forward and lack any sort of power plays they can possibly do outside of trigger stacking. In fact, it has gotten to the point where at least one clan can do something that Oracle Think Tank can do, arguably better. To top it all off, their staple unit, Silent Tom, has been nerfed with the rise of G-Guardians.
CEO Amaterasu/Goddess of the Sun, Amaterasu
Shape my desire. Project it before me, Yata no Kagami!
The sun, strict but loving, lights the way to a shining future.
- Boring but Practical: Goddess of the Sun, Amaterasu's Limit Break allows you to choose one Oracle Think Tank from your deck and add it to your hand. To summarize in one word, players think this Limit Break is DULL compared to the others. But at least it's practical and allows you to choose which card to be added into your hand, from cards for defense to cards for offense.
- Combat Stilettos
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Averted.
- Japanese Mythology: Named after the Sun Goddess, Amaterasu.
- Psychic Powers: Her skills allows you to check the top card of your deck every turn, and then place it either on top or on bottom.
- The Power of the Sun: As the goddess of the sun, it's a given.
- Walking the Earth: During the time between the war of liberation and Link Joker's attack, she left her post as the CEO of Oracle Think Tank and has been travelling around Cray with her secretary, Secretary Angel.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Heh, if you wanna catch me, you gotta bring a pretty lady along with ya.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Even after death, he still chases after beautiful women.
- Finger Gun: His anime incarnation has a literal Finger Gun. The TCG/OCG card uses a standard handgun.
- Silent Tom Is About to Shoot You: The Japanese and English art for the card from the 2nd booster. The Korean version changed it to the anime incarnation of the card.
- Unblockable Attack: His skill prevents the opponent from using Grade 0 Units as Guardians when he attacks.
My lord, ask me if you need anything.
- Battle Butler: He's CEO Amaterasu's butler.
An agent force of the Battle Order "Sanctuary Guardians" that was secretly set up by the Oracle Think Tank Corporation in order to capture or kill criminals and unscrupulous companies. The agents are usually dressed up as nuns because ostensibly they are affiliated to the "Church." While the members are all excellent combatants and magic users, there are unexpectedly a lot of members with a quirky personality because they were assigned there due to circumstances that cannot be made public.
- An Axe to Grind: Maple carries an axe three times her size.
- Ax-Crazy: A good number of them sound like they belong in a crazy institute...
- BFG: Chocolat carries a huge minigun. Doesn't mean she can use it properly...
- BFS: Parfait wields a pair she named Mu•Ra•Ma•Sa ♥ (Their official name is the "Multiple Radiate -sys- Mechanical Saber").
- Destructive Saviour: Most of the time, especially Macaron and Ginger.
- Drop the Hammer: Assam.
- Friendly Sniper: Tiramisu, an expy to Lockon Stratos until the translator of her lore decided to use his catchphrase to replace hers.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Omelet and Glace.
- Guns Akimbo: Vanilla wields two uzis.
- I Call It "Vera": Parfait has the habit of naming her belongings at all times.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Cookie. Her partner or clean up crew Cream wields a pair of Wakizashi or Ninjato. Monaka wields one as well.
- Kick Chick: Mocha.
- Knife Nut: Cocoa keeps a stash under her robes.
- Luckily My Moeness Will Protect Me: Chocolat completely blocks an attack on an Oracle Think Tank unit by shooting her BFG and then losing her balance trying to handle it.
- Only Sane Woman: Fromage. This is the reason why she is elected as the leader.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Chai.
- Pile Bunker: Macaron wields two of them.
- Psychic Powers: Cocoa has the exact same skill as CEO Amaterasu, only it can be used once.
- The Battle Sisters have clearly Christian influences.
- A Certain Magical Index also features religious men and women taking part in combat, similarly to the premise of the Battle Sisters.
- Sinister Scythe: Cocotte wields a Scythe Tonfa.
- Slasher Smile: Cocoa.
- Theme Naming: After food items, especially pastries.
- Unknown Rival: Monaka to Cookie. The former wants to challenge the latter to avenge her defeat but Cookie think it's a joke and ignores her.
A group of statues that come to life, revealing robots underneath.
- Creepy Child: Gemini is rather...unsettling. But when their face plates open up...
- More Dakka: Apollon
- No Export for You: It's been confirmed by Bushiroad that Oracle Guardian, Hermes will never see a TCG release.
- Rocket Punch: Nike
- Shout-Out: Wiseman is obviously The Thinker.
You must go through me for any business with the CEO.
- Office Lady
- Our Angels Are Different
- Sexy Secretary
- Undying Loyalty: Despite being invited to work in other companies, she refused them without hesitation, no matter how good the offer is.
- Walking the Earth: Currently doing this with Amaterasu.
Battle Deity, Susanoo/Supreme Heavenly Battle Deity, Susanoo/Dragon Destroyer Battle Deity, Kamususanoo
Let's get rid of the irritating people! But it's not really for elder sister's sake.
I give up! Can't I let loose already?
If I'm gonna fight, I want to fight someone strong.
- Cool Sword: Ame-no-Murakumo, who has a spirit living within.
- Future Badass: As the Dragon Destroyer Battle Deity.
- He's All Grown Up: Compare his appearance as the Supreme Heavenly Battle Deity to his previous appearance.
- Physical God: He's a deity.
- Really 700 Years Old: Despite his appearance, he's lived for thousands of years.
- Walking the Earth: Before the Stride incident happened, he was wandering around the world, looking for opponents to fight.
- Worthy Opponent: Susanoo is only willing to use his full power against a foe he considers worthy. The last time he did so was against a dragon general millenia ago, though in the future, he apparently finds another worthy enemy.
A new order of Paladins founded after the dissolution of the Royal Paladin and Shadow Paladin clans during the War of Liberation. Their original purpose was to restore the two Paladin clans to their former glory by freeing their leaders from a mysterious seal.After they successfully free the sealed leaders, the Gold Paladins are formally recognised by Alfred, who gives them the title of "Liberator" and integrates them into the second standing army of the United Sanctuary. Joined by many heroes from Royal Paladin, the creed of the "Liberators" is to protect the liberty of people across the world and free them from the clutches of evil.In terms of playstyle, the Gold Paladins are similar to the Royal Paladins, but they sacrifice consistency for speed, prefering cheap abilities that randomly Call units from the top of the Deck and skills that activate when a unit is called this way.Liberators, as stated above, integrate Royal Paladins in the Gold Paladin army so much of their style is integrated in the form of power increases to their allies. Blueish Flame Liberators, an alternate timeline of the Liberator forces, gives a bit more consistency by giving the player a choice of units from the top of the deck to call rather than just the top and activating powerful effects for doing so.The Gold Paladin keyword is Unite: skills which are active if you have called two or more units that turn.
- Aborted Arc: The seven Beast Armors seem to be this, as after we got four of them (Ezel, Garmore, Vortimer, Pellinore), the bearers of the Blue Falcon, Purple Elephant and Green Deer armors didn't appear. In fact, it took until Season 3's penultimate set for the Green Deer corps to be revealed.
- Animal Motifs: All of them, more or less. This is because most of them wear replicas of the Beast armors that the Gold Paladins have recovered.
- Five-Man Band: The revealed Armor Bearers:
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The Sacred Beast armors.
- Heel–Face Turn: Quite a few Gold Paladins used to be Shadow Paladins.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Initially they were accused of this because there was no significant difference between them and the Royal Paladins. As the clan was expanded and developed it became clear that the Gold Paladins rely on cheap but random calls from the top of the deck. A smaller difference is that some Gold Paladins can retire retire their own rear-guards as an additional cost to activate their skills, like the Shadow Paladins.
- Theme Naming: Most of their knights have Arthurian names, like the Royal Paladins.
- The Remnant: Initially (season 2) they were what was left of the two previous Paladin clans after the 'seal' happened (including Garmore who was originally a Royal Paladin). After the War of Liberation ended the Gold Paladins became the second regular army of the United Sanctuary, so they stopped being this.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Despite being a major plot element for most of the War of Liberation, the Beast Armors are barely mentioned once Platina Ezel appears. All they receive in Season 3's lore is a token mention of Garmore entrusting his armor to Genesis for safe-keeping, before reclaiming it to fight Link Joker. Similarly, their bearers have never really been followed up on with the exception of Ezel and Garmore, though Vortimer did finally reappear as a Shadow Paladin a good four seasons later. Pellinore never appeared again, and the bearers of the Blue Falcon, Purple Elephant and Green Deer armors were never even mentioned.
Incandescent Lion, Blond Ezel/Blazing Lion, Platina Ezel/Salvation Lion, Grand Ezel Scissors/Absolution Lion Emperor, Mithril Ezel/Raven-Haired Ezel
Now, the chains of fate are broken! Awaken, sealed warriors!
Release, King of Beasts! Salvation Roar!
The time has come! Now, shall the cursed fate, become a blessing!
- Anime Hair: A great big lion-like mane.
- Animal Motifs: Lions
- Beyond the Impossible: Invoked. As seen in his quote, above, his Limit Break broke the limit. Platina Ezel is the first to reach Limit Break 5 skill.
- Diagonal Cut: Scissors' art features him delivering one to a Link Joker ring.
- Dual Wielding
- Epic Hail: His skill lets him call a Unit from the top of your Deck.
- Expy: Of King of Knights, Alfred.
- Famed In-Story: Most of what people know of the War of Liberation In-Universe consists of the tales of Ezel's heroism.
- The Hero
- Limit Break: All of his forms have a Limit Break skill. Platina's is Up to Eleven, seeing as it has the first Limit Break 5 skill, requiring five Damage to activate.
- The Power of Friendship:
- One of his skills lets him gain strength from his allies, empowering him by 1000 Power per other Gold Paladin in play. Ezel Scissors has the same ability.
- And Platina Ezel can empower every Rearguard by 5000 Power.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: In the battle against Link Joker, he returns with the power of Unlock without any explanation.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Oh boy this guy got it hard. Zeyer, Eisele, Ezel... it doesn't help that there was a minor Flip-Flop of God. Word of God finally confirmed it as Incandescent Lion, Blond Ezel via Card of the Day text.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Often accused of this due to the Beast Armors seeming to become an Aborted Arc right around when his Crossride appeared. Also occurs in Season 3, where the instant he returns, he eclipses the Liberators by virtue of being able to literally cut through Lock.
- Super Mode: Platina Ezel and Grand Ezel Scissors.
- The Worf Effect: We can tell that Glendios is serious business because he's noted as decisively defeating Ezel.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Grand Ezel Scissors
Knight of Endurance, Lucan
The gold paladins relieved people from their despair.
- The Big Guy: As a Gold Paladin, he's this.
- Blood Knight: During the war, he joined the Shadow Paladins because he loved battle.
- The Brute: When he was a Shadow Paladin
- Heel–Face Turn: He was a Shadow Paladin during the war, but reformed after hearing Majesty Lord Blaster's speech.
Grassland Breeze, Sagramore/Precipice Whirlwind, Sagramore/Battlefield Storm, Sagramore
A wind blows through the plains. It carries the scent of an unknown land.
A gentle wind gathers force to become a blade to slash the enemy.
When the whirling wind becomes a storm, the boy shall become a warrior.
- Dual Wielding: Battlefield Storm.
- Took a Level in Badass: So much so that he went from Grade 0 to Grade 3. And as a Grade 3, he generated an armor said to be on the level of the Sacred Beast armors.
Black Dragon Whelp, Vortimer/Scout of Darkness, Vortimer/Black Dragon Knight, Vortimer/Spectral Duke Dragon/Whirlwind of Darkness, Vortimer "Diablo"/Dark Dragon, Spectral Blaster "Diablo"
Do not take a dragon whelp lightly, because it will one day take to the skies.
Many heroes began to gather around the young dragon.
When a black knight's spear parts the heavens, the legend shall rise again.
He is a jet black whirlwind. A knight that bears the soul of a dragon.
Now, the legend of the dark, is further etched into history.
- Art Shift: When Spectral Duke's art was revealed, comparisons were made to Magic: The Gathering artwork due to the sheer shift in style from usual Vanguard art.
- Black Knight: As Vortimer.
- Blade on a Stick: Black Dragon Knight and Spectral Duke use halberds.
- Bling of War: Though less obvious than Pellinore's, Black Dragon Knight and Spectral Duke have a lot of gold on their armor.
- Whirlwind of Darkness and Spectral Blaster both avert this. To show their allegiance to the Shadow Paladins, the gold on their armor has been replaced by cold blue and black.
- Call Back: His skill requirements are the same as Phantom Blaster Dragon's skill requirements. They're also both Abyss Dragons wielding polearm-type weapons.
- Darker and Edgier: Very noticeable when you compare Spectral Duke Dragon and the other Extra Booster 3 Gold Paladins to their more mainstream counterparts. Both in art style, and in how Spectral Duke Dragon sacrifices his allies.
- Dark is Not Evil: His unit setting specifically states so. "The Armour of Black Steed harbours the power of darkness, but this dark is not evil as his will determines the path of this unleashed power should be used."
- After the fall of Claret Sword Dragon's rebellion, Vortimer and his allies in the Black Horse Corps join forces with Blaster Dark's forces, becoming part of the Shadow Paladins on the clear side of good.
- Due to the Dead: The difference between the Black Horse Corps and the Shadow Paladins under Phantom Blaster is that the former respect the sacrifices made to achieve victory, and honor the dead.
- Epic Hail: all of the Vortimers except Dragon Whelp can call allies from the deck, with the condition of sacrificing an ally, and Spectral Blaster "Diablo" can also summon an ally provided he Strides over a "Diablo" card.
- Expy: Of Phantom Blaster Dragon.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Spectral Duke's Limit Break allows him to attack once more by sacrificing his allies, regardless of whether the previous attack hit or not. Similarly, Spectral Blaster "Diablo" can also restand himself by sacrificing allies.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Spectral Blaster "Diablo" has these.
- I Was Never Here: He and the other members of the Black Horse Corps departed after the Gold Paladins fulfilled their original mission, vanishing into the shadows and not even leaving their names in the Sanctuary's records, before finally reappearing as Shadow Paladins at the side of Blaster Dark.
- Limit Break: Spectral Duke Dragon.
- One-Winged Angel: Spectral Duke is this to Black Dragon Knight Vortimer.
- Red Baron: Vortimer is known as the "Son of the Dragon" due to his heritage.
- Reincarnation: He's implied to be one for either Phantom Blaster or another legendary black dragon.
- Shout-Out: To Vortimer, an ancient king of Britain.
- Shrouded in Myth: Few even know that the Black Horse Corps ever existed and no one was certain where they went after the events of the War of Liberation because they left without ever becoming part of the records of events.
- Sinister Scythe: As Spectral Blaster "Diablo", his halberd is more like a scythe.
- Unexpected Character: After Spectral Duke Dragon was announced to be a Gold Paladin, just about no-one predicted that he'd carry on the Shadow Paladin use of allies over the Royal Paladin use.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Scout of Darkness, Black Dragon Knight, and Spectral Duke retire their fellow Gold Paladins to power their skills, while their Diablo forms also retire allies.
White Hare in the Moon's Shadow, Pellinore
With the entrusted feelings in their hearts, the knights set off filled with fighting spirit
- Bling of War: He wears very flashy golden armor.
- Dual Wielding
- Light is Good: Glowing golden armor, and he's one of the knights chosen by the seven Beast Armors.
- Limit Break
- Lunacy: Via his name.
- The Power of Friendship: He is able to power up his allies via his skill.
- The Smart Guy: He's in charge of the Troop that specializes in Recon and Intel.
Bluish Flame Liberator, Percival/Bluish Flame Liberator, Prominence Core/Bluish Flame Liberator, Prominence Glare
A knight... has something he would stake everything in order to protect.
The sacred knights respond to hails, while the sacred dragon spins the blue flames of bonds.
Dance forth, o blue flames that birth stars, Prominence Glare!A mysterious warrior who joined the forces of the Liberators in Blaster Blade's absence, Percival and his fellows wield the power of blue flames which are actually concentrated mana, focused by Lost Technology. In truth, he is the leader of the Blaze Paladins, an ancient order lost to history who were brought forward in time by Zenon to protect Cray in Blaster Blade's absence. With the power of the guardian dragon, Thing Saver Dragon, Percival is able to take on draconic forms, increasing his power.
- The Ace: He is an excellent leader and a mighty swordsman.
- Anime Hair: His hair is ridiculously long.
- Bling of War: Wears a golden armor, like most of his fellow Gold Paladins.
- But Now I Must Go: After Blaster Blade is restored, he and the other Blaze Paladins return to their original era.
- The Captain: He is actually the leader of the Blaze Paladins, an ancient order of knights brought into the present day by Zenon to protect history.
- Epic Hail: His skill allows him to summon a Liberator from the top of the deck when he enters Legion. Prominence Core and Prominence Glare on the other hand sacrifice an ally to call forth a Liberator from the deck.
- Famed In-Story: After he and the Blaze Paladins return to their own time, they have been lifted from obscurity and gained a place in the Sanctuary's history books for their efforts.
- Flaming Sword: In the made of fire variant.
- It Has Been an Honor: Says this to Blaster Blade before returning to his own time, also saying that he hopes they can face each other one day.
- Mysterious Past: Much like Mordred, no one's entirely sure where he came from or who he is. Turns out he was summoned from the past.
- Mysterious Stranger: He joined the Liberators in the altered timeline and secretly ordered Aglovale to keep watch over Alfred. No one's really sure who he is or what he wants.
- One-Winged Angel: Prominence Core is Percival transformed into a Cosmo Dragon after receiving power from Seeker, Thing Saver Dragon.
- Our Dragons Are Different: As Prominence Core and Prominence Glare.
- Playing with Fire: Using special armaments, he and the other Blaze Paladins can unleash their inner mana in the form of blue flames.
- The Power of Friendship: He can Legion with Oath Liberator, Aglovale to unleash his true power. As Prominence Glare, he can Legion with Regulation Liberator, Aglovale.
- Technicolor Fire: Blue, of course.
- Unperson: The records of the Blaze Paladins were deliberately wiped from history, as the technology they used was exploited by villains and the king at the time wished to prevent it from being abused further. This is why no one knew who they were when Zenon brought them forwards in time to protect the Sanctuary. However, when they return to the past, they have been entered into history and the Sanctuary knows of their existence.
- Vindicated by History: In-Universe exemple. Due to the Blaze Paladins' efforts to preserve the timeline in the present day, their existence was restored to the Sanctuary's history books, meaning that everyone knows who they are.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Prominence Core and Prominence Glare's Epic Hail skills requires a rear-guard to be sacrificed so that it can be activated.
Sunrise Ray Knight, Gurguit/Sunrise Ray Bright Sword, Gurguit
The sun will soon give light to all darkness.A knight of the Gold Paladins who was assigned to be the captain of an investigation unit looking into the actions of the Shadow Paladins, specifically the faction led by Claret Sword Dragon. Although he did manage to arrest several of them, his actions attracted the dragon's attention.
- Determinator: Despite being heavily injured, Gurguit still chased after Claret Sword Dragon, determined to kill him.
- Epic Hail: Gurguit can call forth an ally whenever a G Unit strides or to help defend from an attack.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Becomes this after dwelling on his failure to defeat Claret Sword Dragon. It takes a visit from Vortimer to snap him out of it.
- Magic Knight: Is equelly skilled in both swordmanship and magic.
- Off with His Head!: Averted. Gurguit nearly suffered this fate, had he not been saved in the nick of time.
A clan of angelic Combat Medics.They manipulate the Damage Zone to their advantage by switching cards between it and the Hand or Deck. They can also activate certain skills from the Damage Zone.Celestial units activate effects if a copy of the Vanguard is in the Damage Zone.The Angel Feather keyword is Rescue, which makes you take a Damage then heal one Damage.
- Combat Medic: the Angel Feather are just as capable when it comes to healing and defending themselves.
- The Medic: A whole clan of them. This is reflected in the card game with their units' ability tomanipulate the damage zone.
- Our Angels Are Different: Many of their units look like hospital staff
- Theme Naming: Quite a few are named after Angels and Fallen Angels.
Mobile Hospital, Feather Palace
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: It's a general hospital that can transform into a human-shaped robot.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Of all Megablasts revealed so far this unit's is the most difficult to use, as it needs to be the Vanguard and needs to hit the opponent's Vanguard. If you manage to pull it off, though, you can heal 1 damage for each Angel Feather Rearguard you have (so with 5 Rearguards you can heal all of your damage).
Critical Hit Angel
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her card art, her flavor text, and (especially) her card lore all make it clear that she痴 this
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: As her name suggests, she's a Critical Trigger
Prophecy Celestial, Ramiel/Cleanup Celestial, Ramiel Я
For the love of all creation! Believe, this is the prophecy!
This is the last prophecy... all creation will be punished!
- The Corruption: Ramiel Я.
- Improbable Weapon User: She wields two giant keys.
- The Power of Friendship:
- She can power up the new vanguard with her skill, as well as retrieving an ally from the Damage Zone.
- Takes on a darker tone as Ramiel Я, where she locks two of her allies to give the others 5000 Power and potentially send an opposing rear-guard to the Damage Zone.
- The Power of Love
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: When reversed.
- Sigil Spam: Ramiel Я is covered in Link Joker's black rings.
- Slasher Smile: Ramiel Я
- Super Mode: Cleanup Celestial, Ramiel Я
Black Shiver, Gavrail/Black Seraph, Gavrail
She is an angel, and a shiver.
She is an angel, and the supreme destroyer.
- Dark is Not Evil: Gavrail and the other members of the Black Gravers unit all wear primarily black outfits, but they are not evil.
- The Dreaded: Her presence on the battlefield is enough to scare enemies away.
- I Have Your Patients: Was forced to surrender because the rebels captured the hospital where her patients were.
- The Power of Friendship: Both of her skills give additional power to ally rearguards. The same is true of her Stride form.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grows: Her hair grows longer when becoming the Black Seraph.
- Red Baron: Gained the title of "Shiver" because of her reputation.
- Shear Menace: Wield a large pair of scissor as a weapon.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Berfore her official english name was revealed, her name had been written as Gavriel, Gabrie among others.
- Super Mode: Gavrail can perform Stride Fusion to become the Black Seraph, Gavrail.
A company founded by the new CEO of Oracle Think Tank, created to help change the fate of the world after she prophesied a doomed future. Their members are inspired by Greek, Japanese, and Norse mythology.The clan employs an aggressive card-burn strategy, using skills that Soulcharge multiple cards at once to fuel expensive but powerful Soulblasts. Some of their cards also activate their effects when they are removed from the Soul.Regalia units have additional means of soul charging, giving their Vanguard additional effects ultimately going for powerful skills.Witches of the Genesis clan focus on gaining advantage and powering up their allies.The Genesis keyword is Revelation, allowing you to check the top card of your deck and either leave it where it is or put it into the Soul. If the card is put into the Soul, you must rest one of your rear-guards.
- Theme Naming: Similarly to Oracle Think Tank, their units are named after deities from Greek and Japanese mythologies.
Battle Deity of the Night, Artemis
At least, rest in peace. Moonlight Nocturne!
- Greek Mythology
- Limit Break
- Red Baron: "Artemis" actually refers to the name of the bow. Every warrior who wields an Artemis-series bow is referred to by that name, and distinguished by the product number (eg: Artemis de Un, Artemis de Deux, etc.)
Eternal Goddess, Iwanagahime
She's the princess of the rocks. The goddess who brings everlasting peace.A goddess who rules over the concept of "Firmness", making any surface under her feet a solid foundation. She was once a deity of war who would return from battlefields without any wounds, until the day her face was grazed by a single stone thrown by the enemy. This changed her outlook on life, and now she devotes herself to peace as much as she did to war. At Genesis, she is in charge of creating protective barriers.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Her "Everlasting Vanish" Limit Break retires all Rearguards on the opponent's front row regardless of Grade, but costs a staggering Soulblast 6. Fortunately, Genesis is very good at filling up the Soul.
- Barrier Maiden
- Beam Spam: Her Limit Break, Everlasting Vanish
Omniscience Regalia, Minerva
All-knowing...... that is her power, as well as her responsibility.
- Badass Bookworm: She's a goddess of war and is described as Omniscient.
- Berserk Button: Try messing with the planet Cray...
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Her Limit Break allow her to re-stand herself.
- Lady of War
- Limit Break: Has the ability.
- Mama Bear: She treats the Planet Cray and its residents as her children. The first thing she did after awakened is to deliver a Death Glare to the Link Jokers.
- The Omniscient
- Sealed Badass in a Can: Sealed herself in a statue before being revived by Angelica.
- Super Mode: Averted when it comes to the lore, she and Angelica are not the same person. Played straight, however, in regards to the card game.
- War Goddess
- Winged Humanoid:
- Zettai Ryouiki
Mythic Beast, Fenrir/Mythical Destroyer Beast, Vanargandr/Mythical Hellsky Beast, Fenrir
The beautiful beast, devours even the souls, and makes them his captives.
I will smash you to pieces, in body and soul.
The beautiful beast, has gained power to contort even the deities' revelations.
- Face–Heel Turn: Joined hands with the rebel faction of the Shadow Paladins led by Claret Sword Dragon. Not that he was really good to begin with.
- Future Badass: Vanargand is a future form of Fenrir that the latter summoned with stride.
- Little Bit Beastly: Fenrir has wolf ears.
- Savage Wolf: Vanargand.
- Up to Eleven: Mythical Hellsky Beast, Fenrir is the first G-Unit revealed to have more than one skill that isn't a keyword. One of his skills however has to do WITH a keyword (Revelation).
The Kagero are a group of fire dragons that rule the roost in Dragon Empire. They function as the Aerial Assault Squad.They focus on nullifying the opponent's Rearguard, using skills that force Rearguards to retire or preventing Intercepts. In turn, they gain additional power when an opponent's Rearguard is successfully put into the Drop Zone.Seal Dragons focus much of their attention on anti Grade 2 tactics with preventing intercepts, retiring Grade 2s, Retiring other units and replace them with a Grade 2 in a position they would otherwise should not be.Perdition units associate the clan's retire focus with column-based effects.The Kagero keyword is Blaze: at the start of an attack on your turn, if you have more rear-guards than your opponent, your Vanguard becomes blazing for the rest of the turn, with other skills activating only if your Vanguard is blazing.
Dragonic Overlord/Dragonic Overlord The End/Dragonic Overlord "the Яebirth"/Perdition Emperor Dragon, Dragonic Overlord The Great/Dragonic Overlord "The X"/Supreme Heavenly Emperor Dragon, Dragonic Overlord "The Ace"/Dragonic Overlord "The Legend"
Burn, flame of despair! Eternal Flame
We have arrived. The sought after destination on the road to become the strongest!
Put an end to all. Come forth, Eternal Apocalypse!
Awaken, flames of apocalypse! Eternal Flame Rebirth!
Burst, flame of perdition! Eternal Explosion!
But, to gain strength... means to cross each other's path once more.
Now, the flame of apocalypse is resurrected.
This is the immortal apocalypse! Eternal Blaze!The commander and strongest general of Kagero, and the dragon who stands above all the dragons, bearing the title of "Overlord". One of the three great heroes who fought in the war against Shadow Paladin, as well as one of the three generals who got captured by Void after it. Considers Blaster Blade his rival.
- BFS: Has one in all of its forms. In some, he even has two of them.
- Bling of War: The Яebirth is covered in gold armor.
- Blood Knight: Will do anything just to get stronger to settle things with its rivals.
- Cast from Hit Points: His Super Mode is generated by burning up his life-force.
- Deep Sleep: As an effect for burning up its life force to become The End, Dragonic Overlord falls into an unwakeable sleep after the events of Season 1.
- Disney Death: The upper echelons of the Empire think it is dead, and even devise a plan to "dispose" off its remains.
- Dual Wielding:
- The End is Up to Eleven, it has four arms and it dual-wields a pair of burning swords, and a pair of massive guns!
- The same for the Яebirth
- Fan Nickname:
- Ji Endo for Dragonic Overlord The End, from the Japanese pronunciation of 'The End'.
- ZA RIBAASU for the Яebirth, from the same source.
- Coupled with Fun with Acronyms, Dragonic Overlord The Great was hilariously nicknamed DOGE, mere hours after the release of its skill. It's real.
- Flaming Sword: The End and the Яebirth wield two.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Link Joker wanted to try and Reverse Overlord, but they didn't count on him hijacking Void's power and using it for himself.
- Hand Cannon: The two guns The End and the Яebirth use.
- He's Back: The entire point of the Яebirth is this. After foiling Link Joker's attempt to Reverse him by taking their power for himself, Overlord returns to settle things with Blaster Blade.
- Hot Wings: In all of his forms
- Kill It with Fire: His skill, Eternal Flame, lets him wipe out the entire enemy frontline.
- Limit Break: In his Break Ride incarnation and the Яebirth.
- Lonely at the Top: Invoked symbolically by the cost of the Яebirth's Limit Break, which requires you to Lock all of your rear-guards.
- Lost in Translation: The Яebirth's name is a pun, as in Japanese phonetics, 'Reverse' and 'Rebirth' sound exactly the same. Obviously, this pun doesn't work in English.
- Morton's Fork: It seems that Dragonic Overlord "The Cross" took a lesson from Maelstrom Reverse and now gives one. Either the opponent let it hit to let its Legion Mate, Dragonic Overlord The End's persona blast go off and restand, or guard it to let it's own persona blast go off and retire 2 of their rear guards.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: As the End, the Яebirth, and the Great, Dragonic Overlord has four arms.
- Our Dragons Are Different: A flame dragon who has four arms in some of its forms.
- Overly Long Name: At 48 characters, Perdition Imperial Dragon, Dragonic Overlord the Great is the longest name of any card in Vanguard.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: To the point he burns out his own life just to be strong enough to fight one last battle against his greatest rivals.
- Red Baron: "The Crimson Reaper" and "The Wind of the Apocalypse".
- Sealed Badass in a Can: Was sealed away after his last battle as the End, until Link Joker's failed attempt to Reverse him caused him to return as the Яebirth.
- The Power of Friendship:
- Dragonic Overlord the Great can Legion with Perdition Dragon, Dragonic Neoflame.
- Dragonic Overlord "The X", meanwhile, Legions with Dragonic Overlord the End. That's right, he Legions with himself.
- Considering that Dragonic Neoflame was created from the excess of power overflowing from Dragonic Overlord "The Great", you could say that Overlord "The Great" legions with himself too.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Eternal Flame. Dragonic Overlord The End ups the ante with Eternal Apocalypse. One of only two cards in the game (at the time) capable of dealing 6 or more damage by itself. And then there's the Яebirth, which can literally guarantee itself two attacks at 21000 Power every single turn.
- Worf Effect:
- Despite its huge success in topping real life tournaments, The End has yet to win a fight in the anime.
- The Яebirth fully averts this by curbstomping Ren in its first appearance.
- Also averted with Dragonic Overlord the Great, who beats Gaillard in his first appearance.
Incarnation of Victory, Aleph
Hear the cry of my soul! Eat this, Diablo Buster!
- Demonic Possession
- No Kill Like Overkill: Can potentially deal 3 damage on its own without the help of Triggers.
Blazing Flare Dragon
Dragons are immortal and our breath, infinite. The demonic fire, Immortal Flame!
- BFG: One of his weapon is a gatling gun.
- BFS: Wields a sword and a gun!
- Dual Wielding
- Flaming Sword
- Sealed Badass in a Can: When the three confined dragons come together, the master of the explosive flames will revive.
Seal Dragon, Blockade/Hellfire Seal Dragon, Blockade Inferno
Vanishing Field! Begone, mere underlings!
This cursed magic will now break the seal and destroy the fiery prison!
- Power Limiter: But it's been broken to fight back against the invading 'Link Joker'.
- The Dreaded: The higher-ups were reluctant to break the seal for a reason.
- Super Mode
Even the largest mountain can be crushed by the thundering waterfall from the skies.
- Guardian Entity: The Guardian Dragon of the Dragon Empire.
- Making a Splash: And a unique one, in a clan where everyone uses fire as their weapon, it is the only one to attack using water.
Transcendence Dragon, Dragonic Nouvelle Vague/Transcendance Divine Dragon, Dragonic Nouvelle Vague L'Express
The moment of calamity has arrived, Catastrophe Coagulation!
The flame of calamity, signals the manifestation of a new age.
- Gratuitous French: "Nouvelle Vague" and "L'Express" are french for "New Wave" and "The Express" respectively.
- Limit Break: Transcendance Dragon, Dragonic Nouvelle Vague has the ability.
- Person of Mass Destruction: He can retire ALL of the opponent's rear-guards at once.
- Physical God: It's literally a god among dragons. Its stride form is even called
- Power Nullifier: He can negate your opponent's Triggers during your turn.
- L'Express does it as well, but only if the opponent has at least five damage.
- Shields Are Useless: When he attacks, your opponent can't defend with Grade 0s.
- L'Express prevents the opponent from blocking with Grade 1s instead.
- Shrouded in Myth: Even Cray's deities don't know if Nouvelle Vague still exists.
- Up to Eleven: He was the only playable Grade 4 in the game until the appearance of Stride. Even there, he's the only Grade 4 that can exist in the main deck.
Dauntless Drive Dragon/Dauntless Dominate Dragon Я
Overcome the despair! If you do, I shall bestow upon you the dragon's powers!
Enlighten the weak of their feebleness... that is the duty of the strong.
- Badass Armfold: It has the same pose with Gunbuster off all things.
- Cape Wings: Dauntless Dominate Dragon Я sports a pair of wings that look like a cape.
- The Corruption: Was corrupted by Link Joker, becoming Dauntless Dominate Dragon Я.
- Limit Break
- Really 4000 Years Old: Was 4000 years old when it retired.
- Retired Badass
- The Social Darwinist: Dauntless Я
- Super Mode: Dauntless Dominate Dragon Я
Vortex Dragon/Perdition Dragon, Vortex Dragonewt/Supreme Heavenly Emperor Dragon, Vortex Desire
The hellfire that whirls through the battlefield, Burning Hell!
The hellfire of Perdition that runs through the battlefield, Burning Purgatory!
The hell-fires of purgatory, will scorch the earth endlessly.The leader of the advance troop of Kagero and the special force "Perdition".
- Awesome, but Impractical: Vortex Dragon, like other megablast units.
- Kill It with Fire:
- Vortex Dragon's skill Burning Hell can retire three rearguards.
- Then there's Dragonewt's Trinity Crimson Flame which retires two grade 2 or lower rearguards and deals one damage to the opponent if they have four or less.
- The Leader: In the future it originated from, Vortex Desire became the leader of the "Perdition" Special Force after Dragonic Overlord got promoted.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His skill is called Burning Hell.
- The Power of Friendship: As Vortex Dragonewt, he can perform legion with Perdition Dragon, Whirlwind Dragon.
- Super Toughness: His scales are descibed as being hard enough to serve as heavy armor.
- Took a Level in Badass: As Perdition Dragon, Vortex Dragonewt.
Amber Dragon, Dawn/Amber Dragon, Daylight/Amber Dragon, Dusk/Amber Dragon, Eclipse/Amber Dragon, Midnight
The possibilities are infinite. Dragons can fly anywhere.
Who wants to be knocked out?
Congratulations. You seem worthy for me to fight with my full strength.
Banish all light. Eternal Eclipse!
- Awesome, but Impractical: Eclipse's skill lets him retire any two of the opponent's rearguards should its attack hits for a cost of two counterblast. The catch ? You have to pay the cost before attacking, thus if the attack fails, the cost will have been paid in vain.
- Blood Knight: Dusk volounteered to fight against the Royal Pladins in order to fight strong opponents.
- Kill It with Fire: The flames of his "Eternal Eclipse" burns his enemies until nothing is left of them.
- Meaningful Rename: Daylight renamed itself Dusk before going out to fight the Royal Paladins as Dusk is when light starts to fade.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Midnight has six arms and is a veteran warrior that shouldn't be taken lightly.
- Revenge: Eclipse's lore mentions that he seeks revenge against the Royal Paladins for all the hardships he has endured.
A clan of warmachine dinosaurs who double as personnel carriers. They act as the Ground Troops for the Dragon Empire.They tend to sacrifice their own units as a cost for their high-powered attacks, but compensate with skills that call replacement units from the deck.In addition to replacement units, Ancient Dragons call retired units back to the field.The Tachikaze keyword is Engorge: When a unit with Engorge attacks, you may retire one or more of your rear-guards to have the attacking unit become engorged for the rest of the turn, and like Blaze, certain skills activate if you have an engorged unit.
Tear it apart, Tyranno-Fang!
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Extreme Omnivore: The anime showcases his skill of retiring your own units as eating them.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: If his attack as Vanguard hits, he retires one of your Rearguards.
Military Dragon, Raptor Soldier/Military Dragon, Raptor Sergeant/Military Dragon, Raptor Captain/Military Dragon, Raptor Colonel
Destruction Dragon, Dark Rex
It's still not enough...... Let me eat you too!
- Extreme Omnivore: Will eat anything.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Can suddenly appear on the field during his user's battle phase.
- Limit Break
- Person of Mass Destruction: Its only purpose is destroying, it has blades all over its body and the fluids of its body are a lethal poison.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness
Ancient Dragon, Tyrannolegend
In the distant past, there was a legendary dragon which devoured everything.
A group of ninja beasts and dragons. They act as the Dragon Empire's Black Ops, using their stealth skills to carry out covert assassinations.In their original incarnation, they gained additional power when you had more cards in your hand than your opponent, supplementing this tactic with skills that forced your opponent to discard. However, this build was discontinued due to balance concerns and superseded by the Murakumo clan until they were reintroduced years later.Their new speciality is using the Bind Zone to manipulate the opponent's field and hand.The Nubatama keyword is Afterimage: When your opponent puts a card into their hand from the Bind Zone, if you have six or fewer cards in your hand, you may return a rear-guard with Afterimage to your hand.
Steath Dragon, Voidmaster
Turn to stone! Ninjitsu, Evil-Eye Prison!
Another group of ninja beasts and dragons, introduced as a sister clan to Nubatama. Unlike the Nubatama, their stealth skills are used for gathering intelligence and other spy work.They use a hit-and-run cloning tactic, calling copies of Units from the deck and then returning those Units at the end of the turn. This allows them to apply temporarily field pressure without actually having to waste their hand, leaving them with more options to defend with.The Murakumo keyword is Shadowstitch: skills which activate when your unit's attack fails to hit.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Calls copies of their units from the deck to attack with.
- Gratuitous Ninja: The second ninja clan in vanguard, after the Nubatama.
- Self-Duplication: Their main mechanic is to call multiple copies of their units from the deck for a turn.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: To the Nubatama, due to both being ninja clans. Their mechanics are different however.
Dueling Dragon, ZANBAKU
No one escapes from my sword! Bakugeki Slash!
Fantasy Petal Storm, Shirayuki/Cosmetic Snowfall, Shirayuki
Perish like a dream. Stealth arts, White Out!
A light dream. White snow that melts in the palms of the hand.
- An Ice Person: Possess a demonic aura that will freeze those who approaches her.
- Depower: Her Limit Break can decrease an attacking unit's power.
- Epic Hail: Cosmetic Snowfall, Shirayuki's skill lets the player a unit with the same name as the card serving as her heart.
- Future Badass: Shirayuki's future self is a mountain deity that not even the upper echelons of the Empire can control.
- Japanese Mythology: She is a yuki-onna.
- Kill It with Ice: Anyone who approaches her will be frozen to the bone.
- The Leader: Shirayuki is the chieftain of all Yuki-Onna belonging to the Dragon Empire.
- Limit Break: Fantasy Petal Storm has the ability.
- Master Of Illusions: Her appearance as a young girl is just an illusion.
- Mystical White Hair: Silver hair actually, but it fits otherwise.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: A yuki-onna who was born from the souls of mountain gods and dying dragons. She's also refered to as a demon in her lore.
- Physical God: Cosmetic Snowfall, Shirayuki is described as a deity in her lore.
- Woman in White: Shirayuki wears a white outfit.
Covert Demonic Dragon, Hyakki Vogue Reverse/Ambush Demon Stealth Dragon, Hyakki Vogue Nayuta
Assemble, horde of demons, Stealth Arts, Nightmare Trooper!
The number of clones, exceeded billions in a blink of an eye.
- The Ace: Nayuta is considered to be the most powerful ninja.
- The Corruption: Reverse.
- Face–Heel Turn: Unlike other reverse units, he willingly joined the Link Joker. Then again, that's what they made him for.
- Future Badass: Nayuta.
- Limit Break: Has the ability.
- The Mole: He is actually the result of the Link Joker's first successful attempt to clone Cray's inhabitants, and was planted in the Dragon Empire to spring into action when the invasion began.
- Reincarnation: After being defeated by Dauntless Drive Dragon, Hyakki Vogue melted into the ground and was eventually reborn as a baby dragon who, in the distant future, would end up becoming Hyakki Vogue Nayuta.
- Self-Duplication: He can call another copy of himself when called as the vanguard.
A clan of lightning dragons who rose to the top spot of the Empire after the Kagero were sealed.After the sealed Kagero clan was freed, the Dragon Empire took steps to ensure the same thing would never happen again and incorporated certain members of the Narukami into a new secret fighting force: the Eradicators, whose mission is to literally "eradicate" any and all enemies of the Empire.Following the end of the war against Link Joker in the alternate timeline, the Eradicators had taken massive casualties, reducing their effectiveness as a fighting force. To compensate, a lone warrior assembled troops from across the Empire to form a new special division within Narukami, the Brawlers, who exercise their considerable might to demonstrate the Empire's military power.Like Gold Paladins, their initial gameplay mechanics were incredibly close to their predecessors, deploying a high-power offensive game that specialised in targeting Rearguard units. Later, the clan distinguished themselves (to a limited extent) by focusing on abilities that increased their own Critical score. G-Booster Set 5 introduced a new tactic where Narukami units aimed to Bind enough opposing Units to activate their "Lightning Strike" ability and power up.Eradicators, at first, retired units to increase their power and critical scores setting up for powerful finishes. Later, they focus on mass retire strategies and gaining bonus power through that.Brawlers have a high retire rate as well not only through their own retire abilities but through heavy beatdown tactics as well allowing their Big Bang Knuckle legion to fight nearly the whole field.
Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion/Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion "THE BLOOD"
I will take on all of you at once! Vermillion Thunderbolt!
This is the last thunder. Let's go, Vermillion Catastrophe!
- Cast from Hit Points: THE BLOOD is the result of Vermillion drinking the blood of the Dragon Emperor, which gives him great strength at the cost of his life.
- Expy: A blatant one of Dragonic Overlord: Leader of his respective part of the Dragon Empire's military, has a skill to wipe out the opposing front row, base 11000 Power, wings of the respective element, royal title, skills that requires a Counter Blast 3, sacrifices his own life to achieve a Super Mode...
- Foreshadowing: In Set 5 the wording for Perfect Guard Units was changed so that they only protected one Unit at a time. A set later, Vermillion has the power to attack multiple Units at once...
- Limit Break: One of the Units with the new mechanic.
- No Kill Like Overkill: His skill lets him attack the entire opposing frontline at once. Notable in that he's the first card with such an ability.
- The Power of Friendship: Becomes the Legion Mate to Dragonic Kaiser Crimson in the second G Booster Set.
- Shock and Awe
Thunder Break Dragon / Eradicator, Vowing Sword Dragon/ Eradicator, Vowing Saber Dragon Я
Break the dark clouds! Barbaric Thunder Break!
Go forth, lightning of destruction! Lightning Overbreak!
Looks like you are the ones... who should be eradicated.
- Ascended Extra: Game-wise, anime-wise and lore-wise. As Thunder Break, it was only seen in Kai's damage zone and was never even used at all, it didn't have much of a role during the War of Liberation wherein it was completely overshadowed by Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion. But as Vowing, not only does it have a prominent role in the game as the 1st Narukami Break Ride, but it has more appearances in the anime and a larger role the current official lore. It's even the first unit to gain a Crossbreak ride.
- Call Back: He greatly resembles Amber Dragon Eclipse.
- The Corruption: Vowing Saber Dragon Я has been corrupted by Link Joker.
- Dual Wielding: Saber Dragon Я
- Limit Break: Chronologically one of the first two Units to have this ability.
- Person of Mass Destruction: As Saber Dragon Я, he can retire all of the opponent's rear-guards just for being Crossbreak ridden and using his Limit Break twice.
- Shock and Awe
- Super Mode: Vowing Saber Dragon Я
- Up to Eleven: Vowing Saber Dragon Я is the first Crossbreak ride.
Vajra Thunder Emperor, Indra
- Fan Nickname: "Buddha"
- No Kill Like Overkill: His skill lets him gain an extra critical for every unit of the same name in the Rear Guard Circle. He can hit for critical 6 if you have 3 more Indras and checks into a double Critical Trigger.
- Shock and Awe
Eradicator, Dragonic Descendant/True Eradicator, Dragonic Descendant "Zillion"
Sword of Apocalypse... I'll teach you what that means!
Take this... the absolute power that lies beyond the apocalyse!
- Cool Sword: His sword is one of the two Swords of Apocalypse, mighty treasures of the Dragon Empire.
- Expy: Like Vermillion, one of Dragonic Overlord. He's even more blatant because his sword is very similar to Overlord's and he's the same color, along with having a skill to stand after attacking. Not to mention using his Especial Counterblast in addition to his Limit Break results in +5000 Power and standing for Counterblast 3, the same as Overlord.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: If his attack fails to hit, he can discard three Eradicators to stand again with his Limit Break.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Eradicator. Sword of Apocalypse isn't exactly a non-threatening name either.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Shock and Awe
Sealed Demon Dragon, Dungaree/Demon Conquering Dragon, Dungaree "Unlimited"
I'll show you! Even the followers cower in fear of the sealing powers!
My body feels light... shall I proceed to conquer the skies
- The Dreaded: Was imprisoned underground by the ruler of the Dragon Empire out of fear of his power.
- Limit Break
- Power Incontinence: He had so much magic power coursing through his body that it would have poisoned him to death were it not for the seals.
- Power Limiter: The function of the seals on his body.
- Shock and Awe
- The Straight and Arrow Path
- Weaksauce Weakness: If you run out of bound cards, he weakens by 2000 power.
Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Dragon/Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Buster/True Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Turbo
The punch that rocks the heavens and earth! Howl, Big Bang Knuckle!
After we send these guys flying, you're next!
- Heroes Fight Barehanded
- Shock and Awe
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Like Vermillion, he can attack the entire frontrow in one attack. Big Bang Knuckle Buster can attack four units at once.
- The Powerof Friendship: To unlock his full power, he must Legion with Big Bang Slash Dragon.
- Super Mode: Big Bang Knuckle Buster
Dragonic Kaiser Crimson
Now is the time, to surge forth together, Crimson Thunderbolt!
- Boring but Practical: His skill at first doesn't seem like much since all he does, other than a small power up ability, is just make the cost for his Legion Mate's skill completely free. However said Legion Mate is Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion. Vermillion attacks the opponent's entire front row. This also isn't a one time ability. There Is No Kill Like Overkill indeed.
- Limit Break: The first Legion unit to have a Limit Break ability.
- The Power of Friendship: Being a Legion unit, he thrives on this. However, unlike most Legion Leaders, his own skill is meant to completely support his Legion Mate's skill, to the point it seems that he's the Mate instead.
- Shock and Awe
- True Companions: To Vermillion.
A no-holds-barred fighting league that attracts the toughest fighters in the galaxy, with a presentation halfway between Professional Wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts.They focus on Standing during the Battle Phase to get multiple attacks in one turn, as well as unflipping cards from the damage zone.It's various sub-clans focus on various ways to restand units and the effects that come with it. Beast Deity units stand up their front row and gain power when they do, Blau units apply aggro by restanding various units, including the Vanguard, when they hit.Raizers originally started off as units that would enhance the power of Perfect Raizer by stuffing them into the soul but the Raizers that came out during the Legion era switched the focus to column and Legion-based strategies while giving the series the ability to restand their units they previously lacked.Nova Grapplers keyword is Rush, which gives units new skills when they stand during the Battle Phase.
Asura Kaiser/Immortal, Asura Kaiser/Battle Deity, Asura Kaiser
The death blow! Kaiser Buster!
With those results, they began to refer to him as 'Immortal'
- Demoted to Extra: It was featured in the opening, depicted as Kamui's Ace. It was never seen again after Kamui's first fight with Aichi, where Kamui switched to riding Mr. Invincible then switched his deck into a Stern Blaukluger one. The second time we get to see it to shine in Season 1 is Kamui's fight against Tetsu, which is Kamui's last fight in the season. Taken a worse turn in Season 2 and Season 3 where Kamui uses a Beast Deity and Raizer centric deck.
- He's Back: It is getting a Cross Ride in Extra Booster 08.
- Super Mode
- Temporary Substitute: His skill essentially turns all of your Grade 3 Nova Grapplers into Stand Triggers.
- Weapon of Choice: Has a different weapon in each hand.
Evil will never prevail! Help the good and punish the evil! Finisher, HELL STAND!
Useless Rules! Genocide Blaster!
- Bowdlerize: His English name is Brutal Jack.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: He repeatedly loses matches on Cray because he's so damn unsporting.
- Weaksauce Weakness: You can't attack with it unless you Counterblast a card.
3 minutes! I'll defeat you in 3 minutes!
- Badass Boast: Just read his flavor text.
- Fish out of Water: The only Human in a clan filled with Aliens, Battleroids, and Workerloids.
Beast Deity, Azure Dragon/Ultimate Beast Deity, Illuminal Dragon
Do you want to suffer the Finish Hold of the four sacred beasts?
Beasts of the ring, show your fangs! Trample our enemies!
- Blade on a Stick: Azure Dragon has a naginata, while Illuminal has a more regular spear.
- Dual Wielding: Both of them, though Illuminal is wielding four weapons, two swords, a spear and a flaming whip.
- The Four Gods: Azure Dragon represents Seiryu, the azure dragon, while Illuminal represents the golden dragon.
- Heroic Second Wind: Both of them can give your rear-guards theirs, with Azure Dragon's Persona Blast and Illuminal Dragon's Limit Break.
- Kill It with Fire
- Limit Break: Illuminal Dragon has this.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Illuminal Dragon has four arms
- The Power of Friendship: Excels in Team Matches with its other Beast Deity teammates. His Super Mode emphasises this more.
- Shock and Awe: Uses lightning as a weapon as well as fire.
- Super Mode
Beast Deity, Ethics Buster/Strongest Beast Deity, Ethics Buster Extreme/ Deadliest Beast Deity, Ethics Buster Я/Ultimate Beast Deity, Ethics Buster Catastrophe
I'm strong and you're weak. How's that for simple reasoning?
It's easy. The one stronger than anyone else is the strongest.
We shall repeat this...... until we reach a conclusion!
More ferocious than the worst luck. More powerful than the strongest.
- Animal Motifs: Tigers, a Winged Tiger to be exact.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: It's implied that one of these ended in Ethics Buster escaping his Reverse and becoming Ethics Buster Extreme.
- The Berserker: Ethics Buster Я
- Blood Knight: [[spoiler: Ethics Buster Я
- The Corruption: Was reversed by Link Joker.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: It was approached by Chaos Breaker Dragon and offered power, but refused. Sadly, it didn't end well.
- Heroic Second Wind: Both of them can stand their rear-guard allies, either with Ethics Buster's Break Ride, or Extreme's Limit Break.
- Heroic Willpower: Nearly losing Battle in the Center of the Mind. Ethics Buster heard a voice mixed with ridicule and gentleness, asking him "Is this the way you wish?". This allow him to muster strength to not only expel the power of Reverse but also gave him access to his Extreme mode.
- Enemy Without: The separated power of "Reverse" ended up acting with its own mind becoming a new Ethics Buster Я
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Ethics Buster Я can use its Limit Break to stand itself.
- Limit Break
- Super Mode: Ethics Buster Extreme and Ethics Buster Я
- Up to Eleven: Ethics Buster Extreme is the second Crossbreak Ride and the first Crossbreak Ride which is not a Reverse. Ethics Buster is the second unit with two different Crossrides.
An interdimensional police force filled with toku heroes and Humongous Mecha, and their arch-enemies.The good guys focus on increasing the power of their own units, and gain additional skills when their power is high enough. The bad guys have skills that decrease the power of their opponent's Vanguard, and gain additional skills when their opponent's power is low enough.Dimensional Robo units typically go under two main Vanguards: The Daiyusha line is typical Dimension Police affair, gaining power to increase their critical score. The Daikaiser line breaks shield with their other units giving them additional methods to do so. The end result comes in the form of their Legion of True Great Daikaiser with Great Daiyusha giving attributes of both sides. They also place more focus on the soul with some of their units having skills that activate while there.Metalborgs are considered a vigilante group within the Dimensional Police. Their skills involve reaching a threshold of power while they are in Legion though reach it through easier means.Dimension Police's keyword is Burst: abilities which become active if your Vanguard is at a certain Power or greater, with an additional clause activating if your Vanguard also achieves a second level of Power.
Super Dimensional Robo, Daiyusha/Ultimate Dimensional Robo, Great Daiyusha/ Dark Dimensional Robo, Я" Daiyusha
Super Dimensional Combining! Daiyusha!!
Ultimate Dimensional Combination! Great...Daiyusha!!!
The void has come! Dark Dimensional Combination, Reverse Daiyusha!
Voiced by: Tetsu Inada
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Combining Mecha: Goyusha combines with a few other Dimensional Robos to form Daiyusha.
- Twisted by Reverse Daiyusha, which is formed when Goyusha uses Lock to force the other Dimensional Robos to combine with him.
- The Corruption: Daiyusha's second lore (released on the 9th of August 2013) hinted towards this. It has come true during episode 135 of the anime when Dark Dimensional Robo Я Daiyusha is rode.
- Depower: Reverse Daiyusha reduces the Power of the opponent’s Vanguard bu 10’000.
- Fallen Hero: Reverse Daiyusha. 'The hero who loves the stars, who protects Star Gate, who believes in his friends, no longer exists.'
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Before Set 8, if Daiyusha was generally remembered at all, it was as that Grade 3 Blaster Dark stomped all over in his introduction. But now, he has a Crossride form, putting him as an equal to the three most notorious Units in the game, Phantom Blaster Overlord, Dragonic Overlord The End and Majesty Lord Blaster.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: It felt that it is not strong enough to protect its comrades after the "First Assault on the Major Division" incident, which led to its corruption.
- Kill It with Fire: Reverse Daiyusha's Judgment Flame.
- Paint It Black: Reverse Daiyusha
- The Power of Friendship: Normal Daiyusha can gain an extra Critical if his allies empower him enough, while Great Daiyusha gains 2000 Power and 1 Critical if he has 3 or more Dimensional Robots in the Soul.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Reverse Daiyusha.
- Shout-Out: To just about every Combining Mecha out there. Word of God specified it to be a Shout-Out of the Brave Series.
- Super Mode: Great Daiyusha and Reverse Daiyusha.
- Super Robot
- Took a Level in Badass / Up to Eleven: When Set 4 was released, Daiyusha was overshadowed by Enigman Storm, and then in Set 5 by the Enigman Rain-Miracle Beauty combo. But then in Set 8, he got a Crossride form.
- The Worf Effect: Infamous for this after it got beaten by Ren's Blaster Dark in the Nationals Final, despite Daiyusha being a Grade higher than Blaster Dark.
Enigman Flow/Enigman Ripple/Enigman Wave/Enigman Storm
A hero is justice. A hero is an eternal mystery.
A little bit of courage starts out as a ripple, and eventually grows to become a big wave.
At that moment, the prayers of the little ones reached the hero痴 heart.
Love and valor fuel my power, Enigman Buster!
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- I Am Not Left-Handed: In classic Dimension Police style, both Wave and Storm gain additional skills when their power is increased enough before attacking.
- The Power of Friendship
- Shout-Out: To Ultraman.
- Winged Humanoid: Wave and Storm sport these, although Storm doesn't use them to fly.
Larva Beast, Zeal/Eye of Destruction, Zeal/Devourer of Planets, Zeal/Galactic Beast, Zeal/New Era Beast, Zeal
One day, in a corner of space, the strongest creature is born.
At that time, a certain dimension is thrown in despair.
That particular Ultra Beast absorbs energy on an astronomical scale.
Anything in front of it will be destroyed. That's the Galactic Beast.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Enemy Mine: Joins the Dimension Police to stop Void from destroying Cray.
- Eye Beams: As Eye of Destruction and Galactic Beast.
- Depower: All of Zeal's forms can reduce the power of the opponent's vanguard
- Kaiju: He and his fellow monsters are a clear homage to the genre.
- Limit Break
- Macross Missile Massacre: As Devourer of Planets.
- Multiple Head Case
- Mysterious Past: "A larvae of a Super Beast whom origin is not known to anyone in living memory."
- The Only One To Destroy Cray: The reason for the Enemy Mine.
- Person of Mass Destruction: As a larva, it managed to eliminate the party sent to capture it immediately. And it only got worse from there.
- Playing with Fire: Can fire off the massive heat its body creates as an energy beam.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: With some yellow and silver thrown in.
- Shout-Out: To the infamous Ultraman enemy Zetton
Dimensional Robo, Kaizard/Super Dimensional Robo, Daikaiser/Ultimate Dimensional Robo, Great Daikaiser/True Ultimate Dimensional Robo, Great Daikaizer
There's no difference between oil and blood! This is the beat of my justice!
I will lend you a hand! Don't show me a sorry sight!
And now, justice and justice have become one!
- Combining Mecha: Kaizard combine with Kaiser Grader to become Daikaiser.
- Daikaiser combine with Shadow Kaiser to form Great Daikaiser.
- Guns Akimbo: As Kaizard.
- Humongous Mecha
- Ineffectual Loner: Kaizard is this at first, but eventually he learned the importance of fighting alongside with its friends and unlocks the "Ultimate Dimensional Combination" with Shadow Kaiser.
- Limit Break
- The Power of Friendship: True Ultimate Dimensional Robo, Great Daikaizer can perform Legion with Great Daiyusha.
- Shields Are Useless: Daikaiser's Break Ride skill lets the new Vanguard retire one of the opponent's guardians if it checks a Grade 3, and if the retired unit was a Perfect Guard, its skill is nullified. Its True Ultimate Robo form has a similar skill.
- Shout-Out: Along with Daiyusha, Kaizard and Daikaiser pays homage to the first installment of the Brave Series, Brave Exkaiser. Especially the part where Kaizard combines with an armored vehicle to become Daikaiser.The design of Daikaiser also pays homage to Gravion and Compatible Kaiser, all designed by Masami Obari.
- Super Mode: Great Daikaiser
- Super Robot
Original Saver, Zero
Before light and dark were split apart, the first hero of that world was born.
- Dark is Not Evil: Especially since his abilities are in line with the dark elements of Dimension Police, but he is a hero who has defended Cray since ancient times.
- Depower: His Break Ride skill reduces the opposing Vanguard's Power by 5000 for a turn.
- Heroes Prefer Swords
- Limit Break
- My Hero Zero
- Shrouded in Myth: He has protected Cray since ancient times, but no one is sure exactly who he is or why he fights.
- Time Abyss: He has been around since before the continents of Cray separated.
Cosmic Hero, Grandseed/Great Cosmic Hero, Grandgallop/Super Cosmic Hero, X-gallop
Do you have a dream? To protect that, is my dream!
It's the hero of legend that gallops through the skies!
- Combining Mecha: Grandseed fuses with the support mecha Armor Horse to become Grandgallop.
- Cool Cape: Wears a red cape in both of its forms.
- Japanese Pronouns: Uses 'Watashi' as Grandgallop.
- The Leader: Of the Cosmic Heroes.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: X-gallop's apperance is that of a robot centaur.
A pure cameo clan.
- "Do you know? Blaster Blade is the name of the weapon."
- Anthropomorphic Food
- Cosplay: It's a Mameshiba cosplaying as Blaster Blade!
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Blaster Mameshiba is part-dog and part-bean.
- Shout-Out: To Mameshiba.
- The Cameo
A heretic that comes through the juncture of time and dimension... The end of an evolution that inherits a hundred million afternoons and nights, and casts away imagination... The destroyer that has obtained ultimate power... Its name is... Link Joker!A group of highly-advanced extraterrestrials who launch a full-scale invasion of Planet Cray, starting with the territory of Star Gate. Their arrival forces the various nations of Cray to band together and defend the planet. The units of Link Joker can be distinguished by their crimson-red Tron Lines and the black rings that act as the source of their dark power.Following the defeat of the "Star-Vaders", the eldritch Deleters of Planet Brandt descended upon Planet Cray in an attempt to assimilate Harmonics Messiah into their ranks and literally unmake the universe. Yet they were repelled by the very power they sought to capture, and in a twist of ironic fate, the remnants of Link Joker upon Planet Cray were reborn by Harmonics Messiah into a clan that could live in harmony with the planet. Now Link Joker exists in three distinct factions: the shattered remnants of the Star-Vader army, the remaining Deleters upon Planet Brandt, and the reborn members that live peacefully on Planet Cray under the care of Alter-Ego Messiah.Their key mechanic is the ability to "Lock" Units, turning them face-down so that they are no longer treated as "in-play" but continue to occupy a Rearguard circle. The "Deleter" subclan also uses the "Delete" skill, which reduces a Vanguard's power to 0 and nullifies their abilities, and "Banish Delete", which removes a card from play by sending it to the Bind Zone permanently. The Messiah faction can not only use "Lock", but activate skills by "Unlocking" Units. Both Lock and Delete are Link Joker's equivalents to the likes of Brave and Blaze.
- Apocalypse How: They specialise in Class 4 Planetary, having done it at least three times. Once by creating a world so covered in ice it doesn't know what 'melting' is, once by creating a world consumed in fire, and once by making a world where Time Stands Still permanently.
- The Assimilator: They attempt to assimilate the strongest into their ranks.
- Ironically, they are beaten by being assimilated themselves into Cray, becoming another one of its Clans.
- Big Bad: Of the Link Joker/Booster Set 10-Present arc.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: What happens to a Unit that gets taken over by one of their black rings.
- The Corruption: They can take control of Planet Cray's native Units, corrupting them into Я ("Reverse") Units.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: Hinted at by their unique races all having 'Cyber' in their names, and the circuitry patterns on some of their units.
- Death Equals Redemption: Technically the other way around, as other remnants of Link Joker after the clan's reformation had resumed its plans to destroy Cray, only for the Messiahs and a few others to take charge in stopping them. Several of the fallen have reincarnated into a new version of the clan by that time.
- Hijacked by Ganon: The beings of Link Joker are said to be avatars of Void, the recurring Big Bad to the Planet Cray.
- Hostile Terraforming: Implied to be how they covered two planets in fire and ice respectively to kill all life on them.
- Insectoid Aliens: The "Deleter" subclan, as opposed to the cybernetic Star-vaders.
- Instant-Win Condition: As a clan existing outside the normal laws of Cray, the most powerful Link Joker units can subvert the standard winning condition of six damage.
- Star-vader, "Omega" Glendios automatically wins the game if an opponent has five Locked cards at the beginning of your Main Phase and you have at least five damage.
- Original Deletor, Eigorg's main skill automatically wins the game if, at the end of its resolution, your opponent has at least four damage and thirteen face-down cards in their Bind Zone.
- Shout-Out: Their lore with regards to being cybernetically enhanced beings who aim to assimilate others into their ranks is very reminiscent of both the Borg and the Cybermen.
- Sigil Spam: Their black rings are on all of their units, as well as on the Reverse units.
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien
- Theme Naming: Some of their units are named after the elements of the periodic table.
- Tron Lines
Hollow Twin Blades, Binary Star/Twin Gunner of Binary Star
Link Joker is a mutated alien force, and their existence cannot be proved by magic or science.
- Bright Is Not Good: He wears white armor, but is a soldier for Link Joker.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul
- Cyber Cyclops: The gem on his helmet seems like an eye, especially since his visor covers his actual eyes.
- Dual Wielding
- Evil Counterpart:
- Invoked, he was created by combining genetic material from Blaster Blade, Blaster Dark, and Dragonic Overlord. Appearance-wise, he looks like an evil Blaster Blade.
- Twin Gunner of Binary Star incorporates more elements of Dragonic Overlord into its design.
- Sigil Spam
- Tron Lines
Star-vader, Nebula Lord Dragon
- Boring but Practical: His Limit Break isn't particularly flashy or complex, consisting of giving Power to your front row for each of your opponent's locked units.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul
- Limit Break
- Mercy Kill: Invoked in a twisted way by his SP flavor text:Draw your swords... We shall show mercy upon those in despair!
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Sigil Spam: He is surrounded by black rings.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Tron Lines
- Lock... Lock... Lock... you too.
- Despair Event Horizon: He wants to bring the residents of Cray to this by sealing anyone who would bring hope.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Has four arms.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Power of the Void: The strongest at manipulating this among the ranks of Link Joker.
- The Reveal: He was the one who sealed away Blade, Dark and Overlord and caused the War of Liberation.
- Revenge: Wants this on the warriors of Cray for ruining his plan and releasing the sealed heroes.
- The Strategist
Star-vader, Chaos Breaker Dragon
My declaration. You will request to be locked.
- The Ace: Heavily implied as it is said to be Kai's ace card.
- Breaking Speech: Specialises in using these to corrupt others.
- Break the Cutie: Did this to Ramiel.
- Break the Haughty: And this to Ethics Buster.
- Bright Is Not Good: Like all Link Joker units, he's clad in white, but he's basically an alien dragon grim reaper.
- Catch Phrase: 'Hope may exist, but it won't come to save you in the end.'
- The Corrupter: He's got a long rap sheet, being the corrupter for Daiyusha, Leo-pald, Ethics Buster, Ramiel, Ashlei, Maiden of Venus Trap Muse and Dauntless Drive. As well as his hobby.
- Despair Event Horizon: Loves inflicting this on people, to the point he goes out of his way to do so.
- Even Evil Has Standards: His nickname is given to him by his fellow commanders, who despise him for his malicious ways.
- Evil Laugh: From Glendios' lore: "All the while the Clown snickers to himself, as false wails and lamentations echo across the planet."
- Expy: His use of the Hope Spot is rather like Caster's use of it.
- Foreshadowing: Set 13's commercial featured Kai saying 'Lock... I won't let you escape!' right as Chaos Breaker was shown. It turns out that Chaos Breaker's Limit Break lets him retire a unit right as it's unlocked.
- Hope Crusher
- Hope Spot:
It's easy to break a man's heart. First, give it "Hope", then obliterate it.
- Gives his victims these because it is more effective for them to fall into despair from hope. It's even reflected in his Limit Break, giving a unit hope as they escape from Lock, only to snatch it away by immediately retiring them. As described by his SP flavor text:
- This went bizarrely meta when a mistranslation of a ruling made the community think that Chaos Breaker's Limit Break could only be used once per turn. Once the truth was straightened out, there were comments to the effect that 'Chaos Breaker did what he does best, gave us hope then snatched it away'.
- Karma Houdini: Even after his awful crimes and creation of Glendios, Chaos Breaker escaped the end of the Star-Vasion War, and in one potential future even creates another Cyber Golem weapon to spread chaos.
- Limit Break
- Mad Scientist: He created "Omega" Glendios by extracting energy from every ace unit he Reversed. It even has its own personal laboratory.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: His appearance makes him out to be an alien dragon grim reaper.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: The Link Joker rings and his scythe's blade are black and red.
- Red Baron: He is known as 'The Clown' for his malicious ways.
- Sigil Spam
- Sinister Scythe: Wields a colossal one.
- Slasher Smile: Mentioned in lore, and also present in his card art if one looks very closely.
Star-vader, "Omega" Glendios/Death Star-vader, "Omega Loop" Glendios.
That is a doomsday weapon conceived to obliterate billions of worlds.
An ending that never ends. The infinite omega.
- Awesome, but Impractical: The Instant-Win Condition may be flashy, but it is very hard to pull off successfully. As an Ultimate Break, it requires you to be at five damage or above (which is dangerous). It requires five Locked Units, which means an opponent can shut it down by leaving one of their Rearguard circles open. Finally, a Glendios deck requires "Reverse" units to power its main skill: not only does this risk an uneven grade ratio in your deck, but the "Lord" skill prevents any Reverse unit from attacking unless Glendios is your Vanguard.
- Doomsday Device
- From Nobody to Nightmare:
- It went from being just a new model of Cyber Golem Chaos Breaker came up to 'the worst weapon ever created'.
- Meta example: new support was revealed that aid in addressing Glendios's flaws, such as forcing calls that then get locked, returning "Reverse" units to the hand, a First Vanguard that allows hand-swapping, etc.
- Expy: Appearance wise, it looks like the titular mech of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, painted in the anti-spiral colours, antagonist of said anime series. Skill-wise, the auto win condition make it an expy of Exodia.
- Instant-Win Condition: If your opponent have 5 or more locked units at the start of your main phase, you instantly win the game.
- Limit Break: It is the first unit to have both a Limit Break and Ultimate Break skill.
- Meaningful Name: Omega is the last letter of the Greek alphabet.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Omega can also means "the end", and one of its Limit Break is an Instant-Win Condition called World End in the anime.
- The Power of Hate: It is fuelled by the negative energy harvested from the Reverses.
- Super Prototype: It was originally intended to be just a prototype for a new form of Cyber Golem, before Chaos Breaker gave it power from the Reverse units.
- Super Robot
Star-vader, Blaster Joker
Cut it down, Blaster Joker!This is the form of Blaster Blade after he was captured and corrupted by Link Joker. He has been placed under an advanced form of "Reverse" that has stripped him of his original emotions, driving him insane due to the dissonance within his memories.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: He is Blaster Blade, placed under an advanced form of Reverse that removed his emotions.
- Bright Is Not Good: He wears white armor, but he is insane and and dangerous.
- Call Back: To the "Reverse" units from the previous block. A character who has been corrupted and whose skill requires an unit to be locked as part of its cost.
- Cool Sword: He wields the Blaster Blade sword.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: His Legion Rare flavor textThe knights of the other world, question the meaning of bonds.
- Fallen Hero: He is Blaster Blade corrupted by Link Joker.
- Hunter Of His Ownkind: A Legion unit with a skill that destroys other Legion.
- Man of Kryptonite: Against Legion, he is the ultimate counter, as he can retire a Legion Mate.
- The Power of Friendship: Like all Legions, but his skill is based around destroying that power by stripping away the enemy's rearguard supporters and even their Legion Mate.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Shadow Archetype: To Blaster Blade, his former self. He and the emotion duplicates are each one to a Royal Paladin:
- Star-vader, Brave Fang is one to Wingal.
- Silence Star-vader, Dilaton is one to Gallatin.
- Minuscule Star-vader, Mayoron is one to Marron.
- Tron Lines: His are red as opposed to Blaster Blade's blue ones.
Companion Star Star-vader, Photon
Now, you can return to the beginning like your comrades.
- Dual Wielding: Uses two swords in battle.
- Grew Beyond Their Programming: After his battle with Blaster Blade, he began to act on his own and to learn emotions.
- Klingon Promotion: He secretly murdered his superior, Garnet Star Dragon, and claimed success for the capture of Blaster Blade in his stead.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: Reported Garnet Star's death as an unfortunate accident and is implied to have caused the latter's death.
- Master Swordsman: Described as such. Blaster Blade himself agrees, comparing its skills to those of his country's generals.
- Meaningful Name: A companion star is the name given to the smaller star in a binary star pair. He's the grade 2 mate unit to both Star-vader, Garnet Star Dragon and Star-vader, Blaster Joker.
Daunting Deleter, Oksizz
They are not invaders. They are Deletors.
It's over when you vanish... Delete End.
- The Leader: Of the Deletors.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Has four arms.
- Omnicidal Maniac: As implied by the name, the Deletors represent Void in a different way to that of the Star-Vaders, embodying it as destruction.
- Power Nullifier: The Delete ability allows Oksizz to neutralise an opposing vanguard's skills and reduce its Power to zero.
- Shout-Out: Its SP flavor text is a quote of Ibuki's Catch Phrase.
- Starfish Aliens: It's a weird centaurian insectoid creature with multiple sets of arms and legs from a parasitic planet.
Neon Messiah/Asleep Messiah/Awaking Messiah/Alter-Ego Messiah/Genesis Dragon, Judgment Messiah/Genesis Dragon, Amnesty Messiah/Genesis Dragon, Excelics Messiah/Genesis Dragon, Trans-else Messiah/Genesis Dragon, Flageolet Messiah
That is the faint light, that passes like a baby's first cry.
The world slumbers, and accepts.
The world awakens, and accepts.
The world is me. I am the world.
That is, the judgment the world has passed.
Those who fight against destiny, gain the power to cut through destiny.
Let all sins be forgiven, and paradise appear.
It's just the front becoming the back. There's no reason to fear it.
The irrational lightning from the sky, strikes and breaks the old world.The leader of the reborn Link Joker who live in harmony with Planet Cray. It was once known as "Harmonics Messiah", whose godly power was sought by the eldritch Deleters of Planet Brandt. The act of assimilating and remaking the remnants of Link Joker caused Harmonics Messiah to undergo a "rebirth" of its own, transforming into the embryonic Neon Messiah. This new being would eventually grow into Alter-Ego Messiah, who watches over its creations from a quiet corner of Star Gate.
- Adaptive Ability: The power of the Messiah allows it to take new forms to adapt to its environment.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Neon Messiah appeared at the end of the movie, several months before its card was released.
- Future Badass: Amnesty is implied to be a future form of Neon Messiah.
- The Leader: Of the new Link Joker
- Meaningful Name: Its name reflects that it is a new incarnation of Harmonics Messiah
- Amnesty's name reflects how its ability allows it to free units from Lock.
- Messianic Archetype: To the point that when it appears, it declares its intention to save the world.
- Mythology Gag: Its lore makes reference to the Messiah Scramble, implying that some version of the Neon Messiah film's events happened in the game lore.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Like its previous form Harmonics Messiah, they resemble dragons with Amnesty Messiah resembling the legendary ancestor of all dragons.
- Screw Destiny: Amnesty's flavor text.
A clan of undead pirates who haunt the high seas.They dump units into the Drop Zone so that they can be "resurrected" back into play, bolstered by their ability to use skills from the Drop Zone.Granblue's keyword is Hollow: when units are called from the Drop Zone, you may have them become hollowed until end of turn. While this unlocks additional skills, it also forcibly retires the hollowed unit at the end of the turn.
- Back from the Dead: The Ganblue's clan specialty is to call units from the drop zone.
- Ghost Pirate: Most of the Granblue units
- The Necromancer: There are some amongst the Granblue clan, Cocytus being the most prominent one.
King of Demonic Seas, Basskirk
This is the door to the Demonic Seas. Open, Bermuda Gate!
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's pretty much the strongest of the Grand Blue Clan.
- Awesome, but Impractical: You're more likely to use your Counterblasts on Captain Nightmist and other units. Prior to Booster Set 6 they had no method of unflipping damage outside of healing it off, making it very unlikely to pull this off all too much. And even after Booster Set 6 you’re still more likely to use your Counterblasts and Soulblasts on other units than on his Megablast.
- Epic Hail: He has a powerful Megablast which allows him to fill the field with reinforcements from the Drop Zone.
- Shout-Out: He resembles Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Captain Nightmist/Lord of the Seven Seas, Nightmist
Pirates can be resurrected any number of times!
You scallywags, raise the sails! Don't you dare look down on pirates!
- Back from the Dead:
- With a Counterblast and sacrificing a Grade 1 or higher Granblue, Nightmist can return himself to the field.
- His Break Ride form can resurrect his fellow Granblue.
- Badass Longcoat: Lord of the Seven Seas.
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Took a Level in Badass
Ice Prison Necromancer, Cocytus/Ice Prison Demonic Lord, Cocytus Я/Ice Prison Underworld God, Cocytus Negative
Awake, prisoners of Hades! Cocytus Servant!
You sinners of the Ice Prison, Lock... This is the name of the renewed Jail.
Pop idol mermaids with a bit of Moe mixed in.Their main gimmick is returning their own units to the hand and calling them back to the field, allowing them to re-use their skills and gain additional attacks. Later units have the Harmony key word that allows them to use abilities when called on the same column going well with their gimmick.PRISM units, when returning to the hand, often give power to another unit ultimately bringing them back for a stronger attack.Duo units are units that dress in both Black and White outfits though their name stays the same (except for Legion units). Their main goal is to return a unit back into the hand and then get another copy of the same card from the deck to build on hand advantage.Bermuda Δ's keyword is Harmony: when you call a unit in the same column as a unit with Harmony, both of those units enter Harmony state until end of turn, usually unlocking extra skills.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The Drive Quartet (trigger units)◊
- Idol Singer: All members are either idols or aiming to become idols.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: All known members of the clan belong to the Mermaid race.
- Theme Naming: Nearly all members are named after oceans, seas, lakes, rivers and large water bodies.
Top Idol, Flores
Let me give to you my voice! If you keep singing, surely you'll reach them!
Top Idol, Pacifica/Eternal Idol, Pacifica/Planet Idol, Pacifica/Twinkle Happiness, Pacifica
Everyone, let's sing together! You will surely feel the greatest happiness!
That is an everlasting dream, an admiration that lasts forever.
She will continue to evolve as usual. That is why she is the eternal idol.
- Catch Phrase: "The Greatest Happiness is in yourself."
- Cool Pet: The two penguins that follow her. According to her illustrator, Takuya Fujima, they're named Pen-kichi (The blue one) and Pen-mi (The pink one).
- Limit Break: Eternal Idol and Planet Idol.
- Mix and Match: Mermaid + Idol Singer + Magical Girl
- Tom Boy: Her nickname is the "Tomboyish Little Fairy of the Blue Sea."
- Super Mode : Eternal Idol, Pacifica.
- Theme Naming: After the largest oceanic division of Earth, the Pacific Ocean.
- Try to Fit THAT on a Business Card!: Eternal Idol, Pacifica - Not titles but she has accomplished so many deeds, the title of "Top Idol" doesn't suit her anymore.
Angelic Star, Coral/Fresh Star, Coral/Shiny Star, Coral/Aurora Star, Coral/Shangri-La Star, Coral
I'm not perfect. But I can aspire to be.
It was said that one of the judges was replaced by a stuffed animal.
That performance went live all over the world, and became a legend.
Her new song will certainly hit more than 2 million copies.
Her albums, are all valued as best-sellers.
- Big Eater: Fan artist like to portrait her as one.
- Breakthrough Hit: SHINY STAR
- Dare to Be Badass: Angelic Star.
- Face Your Fears: Done in a hilariously wrong way, by watching horror movies that is (To overcome her stage fright and crybaby nature).
- Fan Nickname: Burger-chan or Hamburger-chan, as depicted by another art drawn by her illustrator. Also a joke as the reason why she has a "well endowed" body, which can overlap with Hollywood Pudgy.
- Guinness Episode: Aurora Star. Her album's sales can only be broken by her and her alone.
- I Have Many Names: Aurora Star. She has many titles with the most famous ones "Aurora Star" and "Aurora Diva."
- Lethal Chef: According to Fresh Star's lore, for one of the things she did after getting over her crybaby nature, she made only one guest appearance on a cooking program. (Probably because of the "curry"/"stew" she made.)
- Limit Break: Aurora Star and Shangri-La Star.
- Name's the Same: With Coral Assault from the Aqua Force clan. Some fan artist even portrayed them as Childhood Friends. Bushiroad even clarify that Coral Assault can be use as the cost for Shangri-La Star's Limit Break...until Clan Fight format was implemented but there's also Extreme Fight format. Good luck trying to do that.
- Never a Self-Made Woman: Subverted, her rise to fame is actually cultimated from her hard work and sacrifice.
- Performance Anxiety: Angelic Star.
- Took a Level in Badass: From the newcomer Angelic Star who had stage fright, she became the Visionary Diva, Aurora Star.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Burgers.
- Up to Eleven: Her debut album sold 2.1 million copies on the first day!
Costume Change, Alk/Costume Idol, Alk
The path to a top idol is to start laying the right foundations.
That's right, she is, indeed the famous star who can stylishly wear a thousand different costumes.
- Awesome, but Impractical: The general consensus amongst the professional scene is that Aqua Force is incredibly powerful but very hard to use in high-level play, requiring precise timing and a very keen ability to read the board.
- Knight Templar: The admiral believes the only way to bring eternal peace to Cray is by conquering it.
- Shout-Out: In terms of the appearance of their humanoid units and their obession with justice, they appear to be based on the Marines from One Piece.
- Theme Naming: After ships and vessels in the US Navy.
Naval Gazer Dragon
Listen to the lament of the blue dragon, which even makes the oceans boil!
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: His Limit Break allows him to stand your Aqua Force Rearguards when his attack hits.
- Blade on a Stick: Wields some kind of harpoon.
- Heroic Second Wind: With his Limit Break, if his attack hits, he can stand up two Aqua Force rear-guards.
- Making a Splash
- Our Dragons Are Different: This one featuring a narwhal-like form, a massive finned tail, shoulder spikes, and massive fangs.
- Pun: His name with regards to Japanese phonetics. It can also be translated as Naval Geyser, emphasizing the water theme, or Navel Gazer.
- Spikes of Villainy: Perhaps the first indication of Aqua Force's true nature was Naval Gazer having massive spikes on his shoulders.
Blue Storm Dragon, Maelstrom/Blue Storm Supreme Dragon, Glory Maelstrom/Blue Storm Karma Dragon, Maelstrom Я/Blue Storm Marshal Dragon, Admiral Maelstrom
Drain the chaos! Judgement Maelstrom!
This is the final judgment. Terminal Maelstrom!
Sink into the surging void! Reverse Maelstrom!
To ensure a peaceful voyage, we sail for the stormy seas.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's a Vice Admiral of Aqua Force. Later promoted to Admiral.
- Awesome Personnel Carrier: He can carry 'countless' numbers of troops into battle via the pods on his back.
- Breath Weapon: Dark purple flames for Glory Maelstrom.
- The Corruption:
- Glory Maelstrom is created when Maelstrom taps into the power of the sealed Admiral of Aqua Force, which infects Maelstrom with the Admiral's ruthless desire to impose complete control on Cray.
- Maelstrom Я has been corrupted by Link Joker.
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to Maelstrom's relatively light coloration, Glory Maelstrom has darker scales, a dark violet face, and a much more horrific and monstrous appearance.
- Dark is Evil: Glory Maelstrom with his really dark purple scales.
- For Great Justice
- Four-Star Badass: The fact he's a dragon larger than a battleship might have something to do with it. But he's still a Vice Admiral.
- Identical Stranger:
- Knight Templar
- Limit Break: Taken Up to Eleven by Glory Maelstrom, which is one of three Units to possess the Limit Break 5 skill, Ultimate Break.
- Macross Missile Massacre: The original Maelstrom's attack as depicted in the anime.
- Making a Splash
- Morton's Fork: Maelstrom Я's Limit Break is pretty much this, your opponent either don't guard its attack and take 2 damage, or guard it and have 1 of their rear guards retired and lets the player draw a card.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Maelstrom Я is a Winged Centaur Robot Dragon.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Super Mode: Glory Maelstrom
- Took a Level in Badass:
- Maelstrom was prone to being stonewalled by Perfect Guard Sentinel Units. And then he became Glory Maelstrom, whose Ultimate Break prevents such Units from even being called to protect against his attack.
- Maelstrom Я takes it to another level, it still allows Perfect Guard Sentinel Units to be called but its Limit Break will go off if it is stonewalled.
- Unblockable Attack: Glory Maelstrom was the first unit to feature a skill that prevents perfect guards from being used. Later, it gains support in the form of a critical trigger that prevents the opponent from calling Grade 0s to the guardian circle from the hand when boosting Maelstrom, literally creating an unblockable attack.
- Now, combining the break ride incarnation of the original Maelstrom with Glory Maelstrom can produce the same result (The Breakride Skill stops Grade 0s, and Glory Maelstrom blocks all other grades).
- Wave Motion Gun: Maelstrom Я uses one to attack.
Thundering Ripple, Genovious
For absolute justice! Arise, children of the blue dragon!
Stand up for what's right, soldiers! Order of Justice!
- The Captain: His rank
- A Father to His Men
- For Great Justice: One of the few units in the Clan to entirely fit this and not Knight Templar.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: His weapon is a large sword.
- Heroic Second Wind: His Persona Blast lets him stand all of his allies.
- Honor Before Reason: 'Believing that doing the right thing is itself Justice, he doesn't follow the Navy's common belief that one must be cruel and ruthless.'
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He respects the individuality of his men, and only asks them about justice to give them the opportunity to find their own answer.
- Secret Test of Character: He asks his men what justice is so that they can discover their own answer.
- The Strategist: A famed one.
- Token Good Teammate: One of the member of Aqua Force that isn't a Knight Templar.
- Uriah Gambit: Attempted by his superiors, but he survived.
Blue Wave Dragon, Tetra Drive Dragon/Blue Storm Wave Dragon, Tetra Burst Dragon/Blue Wave Marshal Dragon, Tetra Boil Dragon
The raging stream of battle spirit right back at you! Go wild, Storm Driver!
Rage forth the twin-headed storm, Dual Storm Driver!
This is...... This is what Storm Driver is!
- Badass Army: Its entire squadron, the Blue Wave Squadron.
- BFG: The Dual H-Cannon mounted on its shoulder. Note that it was normally used as a shipboard artillery.
- Catchphrase: "Adversity is the best occasion for advance"
- Determinator: Its entire squadron will not back out even if they are forced to fight in a disadvantage situation.
- Fan Nickname: A water type and 2 shoulder mounted cannons, it just took a minute for fans to nickname it "Blastoise."
- After the morphology of Tetra Boil Dragon is released, it quickly earned the nickname of "Titanus"
- Foreshadowing: In episode 94, Kyou stated that Leon's Vanguard, who has the Limit Break, can't stand anymore. Now Aqua Force gets their Vanguard that is able to restand itself.
- Four-Star Badass: It's a Rear Admiral, only a rank below Maelstrom, who is the Vice Admiral.
- Limit Break
- Long Neck: Tetra Boil.
- Heroic Second Wind: Its Limit Break allows it to stand again for another attack. Tetra Boil does the same thing, albeit with different costs.
- Making a Splash
- Meaningful Name: Its Limit Break allows you to do 4 drive checks, hence the name Tetra Drive.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Like the other dragons in Aqua Force, he is a Tear Dragon.
- Shoulder Cannon
- The Power of Friendship: Tetra Burst can perform legion with Blue Storm Marine General, Starrus.
One Who Supasses the Storm, Thavas/Storm Dominator, Commander Thavas
The hero, has overcome the raging destiny.
One who rules the storm, that is, the ruler of the naval battle.
- Four-Star Badass: Thavas is a Rear Admiral like Tetra Drive, and is the first Aquaroid to hold such a rank.
- The So-Called Coward: Because he refuses to fight on the frontlines, he has been branded a coward. However, he started gaining more respect after revealing a portion of his true power.
- Super Prototype: Thavas is an experimental model of the 555th Generation of Aquaroid and his power supasses that of other Aquaroids.
Breaking Ripple, Militiades
The ripple roars out, and then it breaks.
A clan of demons and other dark beings.Their tactic is to amass cards in the Soul, giving dramatic power boosts to certain units when enough cards have been stacked and using Soulblasts to power their skills.The Dark Irregulars keyword is Darkness: skills which are active only if a card entered your Soul that turn.
Poet of Darkness, Amon/Demon of Aspiration, Amon/Demon World Marquis, Amon/ Demon Marquis, Amon Я
The whisper of the devil. A magical trap hidden behind sweet words.
These are true powers. But still, not enough.
This is the real power! Inferno Ritual!
Give it to me... your souls, your flesh, even the entire world.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Well, he is a Marquis.
- The Clan: Set 12 gives Amon an archtype called "House of Amon".
- The Corruption: Demon Marquis, Amon Я has been corrupted by Link Joker.
- Depower: After the defeat of Link Joker, Amon lost all of the power he gained from them.
- Eldritch Abomination: Demon Marquis, Amon Я, it's entire appearance looks like a demonic Christmas Tree.
- Evil Overlord
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Has one in his abdomen.
- Fan Nickname: Christmas Tree, for Demon Marquis, Amon Я
- Playing with Fire
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Demon World Marquis, Amon.
- Super Mode: Demon Marquis, Amon Я
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness:
- Adds your own Dark Irregulars to the Soul to not only retire an opponent's Rearguard, but power himself up as well.
- Plans to get rid of Astaroth once their conquest of Dark Zone is complete.
Her beautiful black hair will prey even on the devil.
Learn it with your body! Black Downfall!
- Awesome, but Impractical: His Megablast depends fully on your opponent's field. For maximum effect you have to hope they leave out a Grade 0 Unit for whatever reason.
- Depower: His skill weakens your opponent.
- Finishing Move: Black Downfall.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Wields a pair of them.
- Our Vampires Are Different
Let me dye you red! Scarlet Tear!
Imprisoned Fallen Angel, Sarael
There's no point... Asking me... ... If you don't free me... ...
- Distressed Damsel: She's clearly chained to something, which forbids her from attacking.
- Fallen Angel
One who approaches gets deprived of life, then turns to ice and shatters.
- An Ice Person
- Fish out of Water: The only Human among Demons, Succubi, and Elves. Later subverted, as he's no longer the only one.
- Kill It with Ice
Hey, your life, can I taste it~?
March Rabbit of Nightmareland
Oh no, that won't do. It's not acceptable to disturb the tea party.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Completely blocks an attack aimed at a Dark Irregulars.
- Shout-Out: To the March Hare from Alice in Wonderland.
- Spot of Tea
Dark Queen of Nightmareland
Yes, let the end begin!
King of Diptera, Beelzebub
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Despite being a demon, he has several insect features. Probably a reference to Beelzebub's most famous name: 'Lord of the Flies'
- Dark is Evil: Weeelll...Tetsu: Sinful king praying for dark prosperity... king who has embraced the despair of light in those wings...
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: He is the lord of the Dark Irregulars Clan.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He was mentioned as leader of the Dark Irregulars in English Clan Profiles several months before his release.
- Evil Overlord
- Greed: Mentioned in his Ride Chant in the anime, 'sinful king praying for dark prosperity'
- Religion of Evil: There are some overtones of this in his anime Ride Chant.
- Wave Motion Gun: In the anime, his 'Deepest Corruption' manifests as a blast of energy which sends a freaking shockwave across the Nationals arena. For the record, this was just a hologram. A non Hard Light hologram.
Amon's Leader, Astaroth
O wandering soul, I bid you welcome to your doom.
My "ingenious scheme" that it is in confusion to unify this country.
- Bad with the Bone / Chain Pain: His weapon is a chain made of bone called Cocytus Imprison.
- The Power of Friendship: Can perform legion with Amon. However, they are not friends, far from it.
- Soul Power: Can seal the soul of his victims and use their suffering to generate mana.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Plans to get rid of Amon once their conquest of Dark Zone is complete.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Thanks to the pattern on its abdomen, he can seal the souls of his victims.
Amon's Claw, Marchosias
It is said Amon has many fixers with overwhelming power.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: He and Amon's other fixers attempted this multiple times. It failed.
- Future Badass: Comes from the future.
- Red Baron: Was known as the "Duke of Hellish Claw". After being subjugated by Amon, his title became "Amon's Claw".
- Status Buff: His skill increases the power of two rearguards and himself by 3000 for each five cards in the soul.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Wants to be the one to eliminate Amon.
Vanguard's own Circus of Fear.Like Dark Irregulars, they amass cards in the Soul, but instead use them to switch cards between the Soul and Rearguard to gain additional attacks. They can utilize the Magia skill to attack with additional power and retreats to the soul afterwards.The Silver Thorn sub-clan allows them to call out several units from the soul and swarm the field with very little cost. They also have better control over the cards they soulcharge due to their skills allowing them to check the top cards of the deck.Pale Moon's keyword is Magia: skills which call a unit from your Soul, but return that unit to the Soul at the end of the turn.
- Circus of Fear: Averted, seemingly. A few card lores suggest it to be extreme, but not evil. Then again...
- I Fight for the Strongest Side: They're a covert team of assassins who seem to kill for whoever's in power.
Crimson Beast Tamer/Turquoise Beast Tamer
Twin sisters that are the backbone of the circus.
Nightmare Doll Alice
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blonde hair in Anime, but fanworks tend to depict her with green hair.
- Alice Allusion
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Robot Girl
- Uncanny Valley Girl: In the anime.
- Absolute Cleavage
- Cute Monster Girl: More like Sexy Monster Girl
- Dominatrix: At the very least, there are serious overtones of this in her overall design.
- Epic Hail: When she appears, she can summon a Pale Moon Unit from your Soul for a Counterblast.
- Ms. Fanservice: There's no reason at all for her cleavage to be prominently displayed in the anime. No reason at all.
- Whip It Good
- Winged Humanoid
Silver Thorn Dragon Tamer, Luquier/Silver Thorn Dragon Queen, Luquier Я/Silver Thorn Dragon Empress, Venus Luquier/Silver Thorn Dragon Master, Mystic Luquier
Go forth, Silver Thorn Serpents!
Be Reversed. Soon you too shall be my servant.
Come along with me, my Silver Thorn Servants!The enigmatic leader of the Pale Moon Circus. Her Evil Eye can hypnotise any creature into becoming her loyal servant. At the very start of the Star-Vasion War, she was caught by a surprise attack and forcefully infused with the power of Void, "Яeverse". Under its influence, she transformed into a cruel and capricious Baroness who used her empowered eye to dominate anyone who opposed her. She was one of the first to be returned to normal with the discovery of "Unlock", but her extensive time under Яeverse had tainted her soul to the point where her distinct raven-black hair had been turned silver. Far in the future, long after her hair had regained its colour, she would become known as the world-renowned "Mystic Luquier", a level of celebrity she appreciated aside from the inconvenience this added to her shadow life as an assassin.
- The Corruption: Silver Thorn Dragon Queen, Luquier Я has been corrupted by Link Joker.
- Epic Hail: All of her forms have a Limit Break that allows you to call units from the soul.
- Facial Markings
- Hypnotic Eyes
- Icy Blue Eyes: Luquier Я
- Limit Break
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Luquier Я
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Super Mode: Silver Thorn Dragon Queen, Luquier Я
- Took a Level in Kindness: After being freed, she became kinder to her Silver Thorn servants.
- Whip It Good: Is always carrying a whip.
- Woman in White: Venus Luquier.
Silver Thorn Hypnos, Lydia
Please sleep...... Deeper, yes, deeper......
- Undying Loyalty: To her Mistress, Luquier.
Masked Magician, Harri/Dragon Masquerade, Harri
Come, let the time of dreams begin!
I'm invincible! So long as I have my silk hat.
- Child Prodigy: A young prodigy.
- Cool Hat: A silk hat.
- Epic Hail:
- Both of Masked Magician's effect allows him to call a unit from the soul, although one is only temporary.
- Dragon Masquerade, Harri can call up to three units from the soul for a turn.
- Future Badass: Dragon Masquerade, Harri is Masked Magician, Harri's future self that was summoned to the present through use of Stride.
- Older and Wiser: His future self is less cheeky than the present Harri.
- Older Than They Look: Despite his child-like appearance, he is over thirty years old.
- Stage Magician: His occupation.
A demonic American Football team. Bloodball is the Dark Zone's sport of choice, and as far as rules go...well, if no-one can physically stop you, it must be allowed...They Zerg Rush the opponent by calling additional Units from the hand or deck during the Battle Phase.The Spike Brothers keyword is Charge: when units with Charge are called by a card effect, they become charging until end of turn, unlocking additional skills but returning them to your deck after they attack.
Smash to smithereens, Defensive Tackle!
Demonic Lord, Dudley Emperor
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Epic Hail: He can bring forth Spike Brothers Units from your deck, allowing you to either defend with Panzer Gale's S-Special Intercept, or go on a serious offensive with Units like Juggernaut Maximum.
- Limit Break
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: 'Dudley' is the In-Universe title for the most brutal and skilled Bloodball players. Anyone with that title is someone to be feared.
- Took a Level in Badass: No, not Dudley himself, since he's a different person to Dudley Dan. Dudley Emperor represents one for the entire Spike Brothers Clan, turning them from a bit of a joke into a serious threat overnight.
Great Villain, Dirty Picaro
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: He was badly injured by cheaters, and then returned to the game bribing the referees and breaking rules just as much as those who'd injured him.
- Bloodbath Villain Origin: He goes completely off the rails after learning of his ban from the game, killing several people before finally getting himself in a fight with a demon lord.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Not him himself, but after he descended into cheating and foul play, his antics got so bad that the officials behind Gallows Ball were forced to ban him from the game.
An enigmatic Clan who appeared from the ruins of an lost civilization within Dark Zone. Gear Chronicle are comprised of the Gear Dragons and their allies, and harass temporal energies by using "Time Engines" to power their abilities. They seem to be working to counteract the effects of the "Space-Time Overlap Phenomenon" and "Stride" upon the Planet Cray.They use cheap skills that send Rearguards to the Deck instead of retiring them, and rely upon Stride (and Generation Break) for a powerful endgame. From G-Booster Set 5 onwards, Gear Chronicle Units with the "Time Leap" ability can temporarily replace themselves with a Unit of one Grade higher from the Deck. Even later on, they gain the Ideal-drone and Deus Ex sub-group with the ability to permanently bind their own cards to power their abilities, as well as manipulate the Bind zone.
- The Atoner: Originally, Gear Chronicle was created by the inhabitants of a world who had mastered space-time technology. This world's inhabitants, Drunk with Power, had created a monstrous being to dominate all of existence, until a group among them rebelled and cast the being into a gap in space-time from which it could not escape, but only after it had already destroyed a countless number of worlds. In horror and shame at what their civilisation had tried to do, they founded an organisation that would work to harmonise space-time, this organisation being Gear Chronicle.
- Clockwork Creature: The gear beasts are mechanical creatures that resembles animals.
- Clock Punk: Clocks and gears are visible in many of their cards' artwork.
- Eastern Zodiac: They have a group of Grade 3's theme around this, Including Chrono Dran.
- My God, What Have I Done?: The founders of Gear Chronicle, upon seeing Demiurge wipe out countless worlds, had this reaction, sealing Demiurge away and creating Gear Chronicle as time's guardians in shame.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Gear Chronicle underestimated how damaged the spacetime of Cray was, and their arrival caused the outbreak of stride to occur.
- Steam Punk: Several of their units evoke this style, specifically those with "Steam" in their name.
- Time Master: Their powers allow them to control time itself.
- Time Travel: Due to their powers, they can travel through time. This is represented in-game by their ability to return units to the deck as well as the Time Leap mechanic.
Chronojet Dragon/Chronodragon Nextage/Chronojet Dragon G
The new future begins now.
Let's go...... to greater heights.
Shared bonds cross space and time, pointing the way to a new tomorrow.
- Godzilla Threshold: Claret Sword Dragon's actions causes Chronojet Dragon to release its power and become Chronodragon Nextage, even though it could interfere with the restoration of Cray.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Done uniquely by Nextage, who can revert back to Chronojet after his attack ends for a second attack.
- The Leader: Leads the force sent to restore Cray's spacetime
- Our Dragons Are Different: A high-ranking Gear Dragon.
- Shoulder Cannon: Chronodragon Nextage has cannons hidden in the armor covering its shoulders.
- Super Mode: Chronodragon Nextage
- Time Stands Still: Its ability to prevent Grade 1 or higher units from guarding its attack is it freezing time to stop the guardians from blocking it.
- Time Travel:
- One of his powers sends enemy units back in time, represented by his ability to send a rear-guard to the bottom of the deck.
- Nextage's skill could also be interpreted as this, going back in time to when he was Chronojet Dragon for a second attack.
Interdimensional Dragon, Mystery Flare Dragon
Now is the time to show it, the world that I truly wish for-!
- Awesome, but Impractical: Its skill might be powerful but it requires Mystery Flare Dragon's attack hitting a Vanguard, the top four cards of your deck having different grades, and a counterblast of 4.
- Extra Turn: The first Vanguard unit to have the ability to grant one.
- Our Dragons Are Different: A Gear Dragon, just like the other dragons in Gear Chronicle.
- Time Master: His ability is described as accelerating time.
Steam Maiden, Uluru/Retroactive Time Maiden, Uluru
Even hourglasses have times that they want to turn back the clock, you know?
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Her incarnation as a G Guardian.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Despite being a Chrono Doll, Uluru looks like a human and possess emotions.
- Robot Girl: Uluru is a Chrono Doll, a forbidden weapon created by a Mad Scientist of Gear Chronicle.
- Team Mom: Acts as a mother figure toward the younger members of gear Chronicle.
Interdimensional Dragon, Chronoscommand Dragon/Interdimensional Dragon, Chronoscommand Revolution
Ah, yes. Let us return everything to nothingness.
Revolution. That is, the opening act of a new era.
- Gone to the Future: Chronoscommand was sent to a future in a different time axis due to a teleportation accident which caused his disappearance in the present time.
- Mass Teleportation: Chronoscommand has the ability to return all of the opponent's rearguards to the deck if it hits and Chronoscommand Revolution can returns every rearguards on the field, except two of yours if you have its previous form face-up in the generation zone, to the deck if it strides.
- Meaningful Name: Named after Cronos, a god associated with time.
- Our Dragons Are Different: A time-traveling dragon.
- Super Mode: Chronoscommand Revolution.
Chronofang Tiger/Chronotiger Rebellion/Chronofang Tiger G
The likes of you, are not capable of bearing the fate of the world.
He has sharp fangs, so that he too can walk toward the future.
- Brainwashed: Chronofang's actions are not of his own will. He is being controlled by Bind Time Dragon.
- Eastern Zodiac: He represents the Tiger among the Zodiac Time Beasts.
- Power Fist: Chronofang uses a fist-type armament as his main weapon.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: He has this dynamic with Chronojet Dragon.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: If the flavor text above is any indication,
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: He sends your own cards to the bind zone permanently as costs for his skills. Flavor-wise, this is akin to stranding them in other times.
Interdimensional Dragon, Bind Time Dragon
Time is stopped. And the finale starts to move.
- Big Bad: Seems to be shaping up to be this.
- The Man Behind the Man: He's the one behind Chronofang Tiger's actions.
Deus Ex Machina, Demiurge
The deity removes pain. Through a future of happiness without freedom.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Demiurge's skill is almost certainly game-winning, but requires you to build your deck in a very precise manner to incorporate both twelve Zodiac Time Beasts and the support cards required to get them into the Bind Zone, leading to an inconsistent deck with a lot of elements involved.
- Deus ex Machina: In more than name. Demiurge's skill allows you to turn a desperate situation into certain victory, akin to a god suddenly appearing to give the story a good ending.
- Eastern Zodiac: To use Demiurge's skill, you have to have gathered all twelve Zodiac Time Beasts in your bind zone.
- Expy: Of Star-vader, Omega Glendios. Both are colossal artificial beings who require you to build your deck around a specific series of cards to unlock a game-winning effect once a certain condition is met. Meta-wise, they're also the final ace cards of the antagonists of the third series of each anime. Its lore cements it even more, with Demiurge being created to destroy worlds throughout space and time like how Glendios was Link Joker's ultimate world-destroying weapon. Lastly, both are illustrated by Masami Obari.
- Instant-Win Condition: Subverted in spite of its obvious status as a Glendios Expy. Demiurge's effect, while almost certainly game-ending, isn't actually an instant victory.
- Multiversal Conqueror: Demiurge was created with the intention of dominating all existing worlds throughout space and time.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The ones who would eventually found Gear Chronicle sealed Demiurge in a gap in space and time from which it couldn't escape alone.
- Winds of Destiny, Change: Its skill allows you to stack any twelve cards from your drop zone on top of your deck, effectively changing your future.
- World of Silence: His flavor text implies that this is what Demiurge would create, a world where everyone is happy because they have no free will and are forced to be happy.
The insect mafia.They forbid the opponent's Units from Standing on your opponent's next Stand Phase, reducing their options and offensive power.Machining units originally had a similar playstyle to Pale Moon with the ability to call units from there. Later units gave the sub-clan the ability to stun rear-guards it originally lacked while keeping the original focus.Megacolony's keyword is Dark Device: abilities which are active so long as your opponent has no standing units in the same column as the unit with Dark Device.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Megacolony units are all insects and they are all bigger than a normal insect.
- Demoted to Extra: Megacolony was already one of the lesser clans before the introduction of the Link Joker clan, whose "Lock" ability basically does the exact same thing as Megacolony but better. Word of God has stated that Megacolony will receive additional support in future expansions to compensate for this.
- Took a Level in Badass: And they certainly did get support with the Infinite Rebirth expansion. Their Break Ride unit switches all of the opponent's Units (including the Vanguard) to Rest and prevents them from standing. This makes them the only clan that can lock down a Vanguard, at least if the opponent can't (or won't) Ride a new one during their next Ride Phase.
- Newer cards even prevent the opponent from Riding a new Vanguard on their next Ride Phase. This locks out Stride as well, as Stride Units inherit the position (Stand or Rest) of the Heart.
Martial Arts Mutant, Master Beetle
Bow before my might! Gravity Aura!
I'll only fight those that can get back up, Gravity Aura!
- BFS: His swords are huge.
- Gravity Master: Possess an ability called Gravity Aura that increases gravity around those with weak hearts. It's apparently generated by his own fighting spirit.
- Dual Wielding: His weapons are two swords attached to his forearms.
Unrivaled Blade Rogue, Cyclomatooth
Become the rust of my blade. With you as a stepping stone, I shall rise even higher.
You think you are special because you are a hero? You stink of mud too.
- An Arm and a Leg: Lost both arms during his fight against the Link Joker squad. However, the mutations done to him by the syndicate seems to have given him new ones.
- Badass: Took on a squad of Link Joker alone and manged to defeat them.
- Dual Wielding: Uses two swords in combat.
- Limit Break: The Megacolony's breakride unit.
- Was Once a Man: He used to be a human but has been transformed by the Megacolony syndicate into an insectoid mutant.
Raging Spear Mutant Deity, Stun Beetle
Crawl. Such an unsightly form is perfect for you.
- Badass: Single-handedly defeated Neo Nectar's defence line and managed to stand up against the combined forces of the Dimension Police and the knights of the Sanctuary.
- Future Badass: Comes from a distant future.
- Died Standing Up: His body remained standing on the ground even after his death.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Was killed by his own laser weapon exploding.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Stun Beetle is a mutant that was modified with genes from multiple species.
A university of highly intelligent animals.They specialise in Explosive Overclocking of their own Units, granting incredible power boosts at the cost of being forced to retire those Units after battle.Great Nature's keyword is Success: When your rear-guard reaches or exceeds a stated amount of Power, the unit with Success becomes successful until end of turn, which unlocks additional skills.
- Civilized Animal
- Explosive Overclocking: The clan's mechanic in a nutshell. They increase the power of their own units, but they are retired when the turn ends.
- Intellectual Animal
Scientist Monkey, Rue
Filled with genius, filled with power! Mad medicine!
School Hunter, Leo-Pald/School Punisher, Leo-pald Я
Researchers run through the plains of knowledge hunting for the truth.
Yes, that "was" the ultimate truth. From now on, this is the truth!
- Back from the Dead:
- His Limit Break can return one of your rear-guard to the field but only if it was sent to the Drop Zone during the end phase.
- Leo-pald Я can do the same for two rear-guards.
- The Corruption: Leo-Pald Я has been corrupted by Link Joker.
- Limit Break
- Panthera Awesome
- Super Mode: School Punisher, Leo-Pald Я
Pencil Squire, Hammsuke/Pencil Knight, Hammsuke/Pencil Hero, Hammsuke
Battler of the Twin Brush, Polaris
Second Wind, let's show them the power that lies beyond the limits!
- Bears are Bad News
- Expy: Looks surprisingly similar to Volibear. Here's a comparison picture.◊
- Heroic Second Wind: Its Limit Break allows you to stand one of your rear guards with a power boost. Lampshaded in its flavour text.
- Limit Break
Omniscience Dragon, Managarmr
Omniscience, is to know the ignorance of eternity.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: A wolf dragon.
- Our Dragons Are Different: A wolf that turned into a dragon.
- Status Buff: His skill allows him to increase the power of two rear-guards and grant them additional skills.
- Unblockable Attack: Not really unblockable, but the skills he gives to rear-guards prevent the opponent from defending with grade 1 or higher cards from his hand.
A clan of sentient plants. They are responsible for managing almost all of the planet Cray's food supply.They focus on consistent field advantage, "planting" their own units back into the Deck in order to Superior Call more powerful ones. They also focus on calling copies of their own units and gain benefits from having multiple copies on the field.The Musketeers sub-clan uses a different approach, retiring their own units and replacing them to fill before returning cards from the drop zone to the deck as a cost for their vanguard's skills.Neo Nectar's keyword is Bloom: When you call a unit with the same name as a unit with Bloom, the Bloom ability activates.
- Green Thumb: Neo Nectar units have control over the flora.
- Me's a Crowd: One of their main mechanic is to copy their units.
- Nature Spirit: The dryads are spirits born from plants with mana stored inside them.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Neo Nectar's dragons are called forest dragons and comes into two types: the fairy dragons with insect-like wings, and the grass dragons with plant-like bodies.
- Planimal: Some of Neo Nectar's fauna is part vegetal.
- Plant Person: The bioroids, humanoid plants who were created through technology. Some of the dryads are also humanoid in appearance.
Knight of Harvest, Gene
- Epic Hail: Can call two younger versions of himself from the Deck by returning himself to the deck.
Aroros Dragon, Ratoon/Arboros Dragon, Branch/Arboso Dragon, Timber/Arboros Dragon, Sephirot/Arboros Dragon, Ein Soph Ohr
Small as it may be, it's still a magic wand.
Dragons are the closest clan to the source of all magic.
A dragon of the forest will raise magic, nurture it, and spread it all over the world.
Descend, Flower Drift! Blessings on all living creatures!
Where there are lives, I am. Where I am, there are praises!
- All-Loving Hero: He never hesitates to protect others, even being willing to sacrifice himself to save another.
- Big Good: He is the guardian dragon for the whole nation of Zoo.
- Genius Loci: He is practically an embodiment of Neo Nectar.
- Green Thumb
- Guardian Entity
- Limit Break
- Meaningful Name: The Sephirot is a concept from Judaism, also commonly known as the Tree of Life. Ein Soph Ohr is also a Judaic concept referring to the pure light of God.
- Our Dragons Are Different: A flower-dragon merged with a colossal tree, with a magical staff.
- The Power of Friendship: Sephirot's Limit Break allows him to power up his allies, so long as there are two or more copies of each in play.
White Lily Musketeer, Cecilia/White Lily Musketeer Captain, Cecilia
Now, for the prayer of life! Blessed Reincarnation!
I present to you a bouquet…… of pure white lilies.
Dignity, Chastity, Purity, and Sweetness.
- The Captain: Become the captain of the Musketeer in a possible future.
- Dual Wielding: As the White lily Musketeer Captain, she dual wields rapiers.
- Epic Hail: Has the ability to call oter units with her skills.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: With her brother Hermann. Out of the two, she's the responsible one.
- Future Badass: White Lily Musketeer Captain, Cecilia comes from the future.
- Limit Break: Her original incarnation has the ability.
- Magic Knight: In addition to her skill with swords and firearms, she is profficient in the use of magic.
- Me's a Crowd: Her Limit Break can call up to two copy of herself from the deck.
- The Musketeer: A Master swordswoman who is also skilled in the use of guns.
- Really 700 Years Old: White Lily Musketeer Captain, Cecilia is over a millenia old.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: In the future where she became the captain of the Musketeer, she has been alive for over a Millenia and has lost many of her friends.
Ranunculus Flower Maiden, Ahsha/Dream-spinning Ranunculus, Ahsha/Ranunculus in Glorious Bloom, Ahsha
And now, the future blooms.
If you continue spinning, the dream will never end.
The dream is now, in glorious bloom.
- Blue Blood: Ahsha is descended from the first Bioroid, making her akin to nobility in Neo Nectar.
- Epic Hail: Both of her cards have skills with the ability to call units.
- The Power of Friendship:
- Ahsha's skill grants all unit on the field 5000 Power for each other unit on the field that has the same name.
- Dream-spinning Ranunculus, Ahsha increases the power of units in the front row by 5000 if there are three or more unit with the same name on the field.
- Sinister Scythe: Ahsha's weapon is a scythe.
- Super Mode: In order to help Gavrail, Ahsha summoned and hosted her own future within herself though Stride Fusion, becoming Dream-spinning Ranunculus, Ahsha.
A special crossover clan featuring characters from Touken Ranbu, a game where you raise and train the handsome Anthropomorphic Personifications of historical Japanese swords.They have two unique abilities: Shinken Hissatsu ("True Sword Finisher") gives their Vanguards and Rearguards additional skills when the player has three or more damage. Homare ("Glory") skills are incredibly powerful, but you can only activate one Homare skill per turn. They later gained a third ability called Nitou Kaigan ("Two-Sword Enlightenment"), which activates when a Touken Danshi - Uchigatana unit is or was boosted by a Touken Danshi - Wakizashi unit.
The Cray Elementals are primordial spirits that have existed on Planet Cray since the dawn of time, originally manifesting as formless concepts like "Energy" or "Magic". They have recently gained the ability to take on temporary physical forms by tapping into a mysterious power deep within the planet, responding to the wishes of those dwelling upon Planet Cray.Cray Elementals belong to every Clan and Nation simultaneously, and can thus be included in any Deck without restriction. The majority of them are Grade 4 "G Units" (as opposed to "Normal Units"), which can only be brought to the field by using the "Stride" skill to summon them from the "G Zone" for one turn.
Shining on the darkness of chaos, oh grand light of truth—-!The third Grade 4 card in the game. In the Neon Messiah film, it is the legendary Messiah which will be given to the winner of the Messiah Scramble tournament.
- Deus ex Machina: Given Harmonics' incredible power and divine nature, it's likely that its appearance via Stride is meant to evoke this.
- Light is Good
- Meaningful Name: The Harmonics part of its name is clearly derived from 'Harmony', reflecting how it belongs to all Clans and Nations at once.
- Stride is written with kanji that literally mean 'transcendence', reflecting Harmonics Messiah's status as a divine entity.
- Messianic Archetype: In more than name, it is the first card in the game which is in every Clan at once.
- Olympus Mons
- Order Versus Chaos: Alluded to by its flavor text.
- Our Dragons Are Different: It possesses a draconic appearance.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Is shown to have long green hair.
A mysterious dark force that acts as the Big Bad to Cray, and by extension, the series itself. Void is described as "the power of nothingness": a nihilistic force that spreads across the universe without cause or consciousness, robbing the planets it conquers of life and light. The "Link Joker" clan and their "Lock" ability are said to be physical manifestations of Void.A being infected with the power of Void is granted incredible strength: unleashing their repressed desires, granting supernatural powers (such as telekinesis) and enhancing their existing abilities. This property of Void would later be refined into a process known as "Reverse", which does not grant additional powers but completely twists a victim's personality into one that unquestioningly follows the will of Void.
- Big Bad: It acts like this to Planet Cray, and by extension, the entire series.
- The Corruption: "Reverse".
- Eldritch Abomination
- Empty Eyes: In contrast to Psyqualia's Glowing Eyes of Doom, a Reversed fighter displays this.
- Hidden Agenda Villain
- Outside-Context Problem: In-Universe and in real life. In-Universe, Void simply appeared one day and began to threaten Planet Cray, inadvertently setting the anime's plot into motion. In real life, everyone expected Phantom Blaster Overlord to be the Big Bad on Cray (like in the card game lore), but instead the mysterious force took that role while Phantom Blaster Overlord didn't even appear.
- Not His Sled: Phantom Blaster Overlord isn't the Cray plot's Big Bad in the anime. The "Mysterious Force" is.
- Power of the Void: Literally.
- The Virus: "Reverse". When a Reverse Fighter defeats a normal Cardfighter, the loser becomes a Reverse Fighter as well.