Characters appearing in the Collectible Card Game
of Cardfight!! Vanguard
, which is set on "an Earth-like planet" known as Cray.
The anime and the flavour text of the cards depict an ongoing storyline unfolding on the surface of the Planet Cray:
Click here to return to the Characters index
- Booster Sets 1-5 introduces the various Clans, and centres upon a civil war unfolding between the Royal Paladins and the dissenting Shadow Paladins as they struggle for control over a unified Cray army.
- Booster Sets 6-9 continue the storyline as the leaders of the Royal Paladins, Shadow Paladins and Kagero clans are sealed away by a mysterious dark force, scattering the unified army and prompting new Clans to emerge and fill the power vacuum. The most prominent of these new Clans are the Gold Paladins, a youthful new band of heroes who must find and retrieve the Seven Sacred Beast Armours in order to break the seal and rescue their comrades.
- Booster Sets 10-15 concern the invasion of an extraterrestrial army known as "Link Joker", who seek to conquer the Planet Cray. This forces the various clans of Cray to band together to fight this new threat, and even unseal previously forbidden powers.
- Booster Sets 16-17 focuses upon a mysterious temporal anomaly that has excised the Royal Paladin "Blaster Blade" from history. As a pre-Civil-War Blaster Blade forms the "Seekers" to discover the truth behind an ominous prophecy, the forces of Cray in the modified present set out to discover the secrets lying within their missing memories.
- G-Booster Sets 1-Present documents the continuing effects of the "Space-Time Overlap Phenomenon", which is pulling mutually-exclusive Units from different timelines into a singular present. Amid this turmoil, two new powers have emerged: "Stride", the ability to summon Units from beyond the limits of time and space; and "Gear Chronicle", a mysterious new Clan with the power to manipulate time.
open/close all folders
A chivalrous order of knights
who act as the primary standing army of United Sanctuary. They are personally led by the ruler of United Sanctuary, the "King of Knights" Alfred.
As a clan, the Royal Paladins focus on using their search and call skills
to fill the Rearguard as quickly as possible, gaining power from the number of Royal Paladins in play
and using skills to support each other.
There was a prophecy which said that the hero of light, Blaster Blade, would one day disappear and his absence would bring disaster to Cray. To avert this crisis, in the past, Blaster Blade formed an alliance of warriors who would find the way to prevent his disappearance: the Seekers. Shown images of the future by the Sage of Time to inspire them, and joined by the Guardian Dragon from the past, Thing Saver Dragon, the Seekers now quest to save their planet's future by finding two hopes.
- Big Good
- Demoted to Extra: Justified in Asia Circuit, where the sealing of Blaster Blade has left their ranks in disarray but shown in the Link Joker arc after Aichi has switched from using Royal Paladin to Gold Paladins, taking with him a lot of the iconic units of the clan. After that, players think Royal Paladins are denied many supports as opposed to the other clans.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Most of the Royal Paladins prefer to use a sword in combat, ranging from traditional longswords and rapiers to beam sabers and BFS. Even some of the Hi-Dogs like to use swords and daggers in combat!
- No One Gets Left Behind / The Men First: Followed to the letter. The Royal Paladins try their best to keep friendly casualties as low as possible and make sure that no one is left behind. As was the case with Maiden of Darkness, Marha, anyone in the Royal Paladins who tries to pull a We Have Reserves is immediately dealt with appropriately.
- Shout-Out: The Royal Paladins definitely have big shoes to fill as they are basically a modern reincarnation of some of the most universally beloved and Bad Ass bunch of heroes ever known: King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
- The Power of Friendship: Their primary tactic is to swarm the field and fight together as one cohesive alliance, supporting each other to soundly obtain victory.
- Theme Naming: After characters in the Arthurian Legend.
- True Companions: The Royal Paladins would never think of abandoning or sacrificing their friends and allies.
- White Knight: The Royal Paladins are composed entirely of various beings who adhere to the codes of chivalry and honor.
King of Knights, Alfred / Alfred Early / Liberator of the Round Table, Alfred / Liberator, Monarch Sanctuary Alfred / Light Origin Seeker, Alfred XIV
I command you under the name of the King of Knights! Heed my call, my warriors!
To preserve the smiles of his people, the young King leads knights to battle.
Stand up again! Golden Absolution!
In order to rid the crisis from this world, we have to be the cornerstone of the sanctuary.
He is the light of hope that shines in the depths of despair.
- A Father To His Kingdom: He always cares about the welfare and happiness of everyone in the United Sanctuary, including his Royal Paladin subordinates. The relationship is mutual, with the populace loving their king and the Royal Paladins always ready to answer their beloved king's calls.
- The Ace: Was known as the strongest swordsman of the Royal Paladins until he became king, passing on his title of strongest swordsman to Blaster Blade.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: Can be quite fearsome when he is together with his nakama.
- Badass Cape
- BFS: Appropriately called the Great Sword.
- Big Good
- Bling of War: Liberator of the Round Table has a lot of gold adornment to his armor
- The Captain: He is the beloved leader of the Royal Paladins.
- Cool Horse: A big, flaming stallion.
- Epic Hail: He can call upon his knights to come forth if they are needed.
- Taken Up to Eleven with Monarch Sanctuary Alfred whose Limit Break can call up to five units from the deck at once.
- For Massive Damage: Liberator, Monarch Sanctuary Alfred and Light Origin Seeker, Alfred XIV can both gain an extra critical with their skills.
- Glory Days: A positive take on the trope, many remember Alfred's younger days very fondly much like a folk tale.
- The Good King: He is the living embodiment of the trope.
- The Idealist: His idealism sometimes leads to disagreements with others, such as with the case of Black Sage, Charon which did not end well.
- Limit Break: Liberator of the Round Table, Alfred has one while Liberator, Monarch Sanctuary Alfred has two, with one of them being an ultimate break.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Friends and allies rejoice and foes cower in fear whenever they hear the King of Knights has arrived.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He is presumably the King of United Sanctuary, judging from his title of King of Knights.
- Shoulder Cannon: Liberator, Monarch Sanctuary Alfred sports a pair on his shoulder, concealed by his armour.
- Shout-Out: To King Arthur and Alfred The Great.
- The Power of Friendship: With his friends and allies by his side, the King of Knights will not fail.
- Light Origin Seeker, Alfred XIV can perform Legion with his trusted friend Blaster Blade (Seeker). His King of Knights form on the other hand is the partner unit to the Vanguard of the King of Knights, Ezer.
- Warrior King: Magnificent, flaming steed in one hand, Great Sword in the other, he is ready to fight and lead his retinue of knights for the sake of his people.
- White Knight
- The Wise King: From Alfred Early's flavor text, it can be reasonably assumed that this is his character.
Courage is the sword of light. Shine forth, Blaster Blade!
Light and shadow, grant me power! Now is the time to turn despair into hope!
That light will change the world...
Reach out... my sword! To the leaders of the new generation!
Continue to grow, and change the world you know. Flash, Burst Blade!
The light of courage illuminates the future. Shine forth, Blaster Blade!
The call of a friend echoes from within the soul! Come forth, Blaster Blade!
- The Ace: Is known to be the strongest swordsman in the Royal Paladins.
- All There in the Manual: The Shining Swordsman manga has revealed that his real name is Armeth.
- Awesome but Temporary: Exculpate The Blaster returns back into Blaster Blade after he attacks.
- Back from the Dead: While technically he's not dead (Only sealed away), but he will be back in spirit/astral/ghost form in the latest booster. Though he now has paper thin armor and can be retired even by the weakest attack.
- Badass Cape: And what a Badass Cape it is◊
- BFS: His sword, the Blaster Blade. Is only overshadowed by Alfred's even bigger BFS.
- Bling of War: As a Liberator.
- The Captain: Leads his own unit of knights within the Royal Paladins.
- Cool Sword: His sword, the Blaster Blade, is a sword that turns courage into raw power, and he is the only one out of everyone in the Royal Paladins that can properly use it. Taken Up to Eleven when he becomes Majesty Lord Blaster and combines the Blaster Blade and Blaster Dark. The resulting sword can Screw Destiny.
- Dark Is Not Evil: As Majesty Lord Blaster, his armor is black, but if anything he's more heroic than ever.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Weaponized by Exculpate:
His light is so overwhelming that the shadow warriors who used to serve their country entrust their sword and light to the warrior of light.
- The Dreaded: Judging by the efforts they made to remove the possibility of his return, Blade's Majesty Lord Blaster form is this to Link Joker.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Majesty Lord Blaster's sword.
- The Lancer: Might be this to Alfred, judging from Alfred Early's card art.
- Light Is Good: Incredibly so.
- Loyal Phlebotinum: His sword, the Blaster Blade, is this.
- The Mentor: Is an unofficial mentor to Little Sage, Marron, who follows his unit of knights.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Exculpate The Blaster attacks your opponent's ENTIRE FIELD!
- Red Baron / Names to Run Away From Really Fast: His name is actually a nickname derived from his Cool Sword of the same name. As for his real name, it's either not revealed to us or nobody knows it. Furthermore, as Majesty Lord Blaster, he is known as the Ultimate Vanguard. The Shining Swordsman manga has finally revealed his true name as Armeth.
- Sealed Badass in a Can / Sealed Good in a Can: During the War of Liberation.
- Super Mode: Majesty Lord Blaster, and Exculpate the Blaster.
- Team Pet: Wingal is his trusted partner in combat.
- Screw Destiny: Majesty Lord Blaster's sword can 'put an end to the sorrowful cycle of fate and karma'.
- Tron Lines
- White Knight: Played as straight as it can be.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: As Majesty Lord Blaster he wields both the Blaster Blade and the Blaster Dark, combined into one sword. As summed up by Majesty's SP lore:
Light is shining shadow. Shadow is silent light. We are one!
Solitary Knight, Gancelot/Solitary Liberator, Gancelot/Bonds Liberator, Gancelot Zenith
White wings filled with pride. The solitary knight is the one who inherits courage.
Knight of Silence, Gallatin/Liberator of Silence, Gallatin
Silence, tells of everything. My sword, thou dedicate.
The King of Knights worked with his Elite troops to help the young people who are confused in their new positions and responsibilities.
Knight of Truth, Gordon
Unshakable, that is the truth.
Little Sage, Marron/Little Liberator, Marron
My dream is to experience all the mysteries of the world.
If you're talking about strategy, there are a lot. What if you try to use all of them?
Sage of Guidance, Zenon
Now, guided by the sage's wisdom, the hero of light comes forth!
Great Sage, Baron
Flash Shield, Iseult/Flashing Jewel Knight, Iseult
Chivalry will never be swayed as long as the Flash Shield is present.
No! I will not let you go any further!
Stardust Trumpeter/Star Call Trumpeter/Liberator, Star Rain Trumpeter
Sound the trumpets! Now the battle begins!
Soaring high on white wings, bringing along courage.
A star performer appears last! Ta-daaah!
When his roar sounds across the battlefield, the heroes will come running.
To fight alongside the legendary swordsman. That is the wish of all the knights.
- Bling of War: His golden armor as a Liberator.
- Epic Hail: As a Royal Paladin he can call forth either Flowgal or the Knight of the Future, Llew to come to his aid. As a Gold Paladin he can call a random Liberator unit.
- The Ace: He was the ace of the Royal Paladin High Dogs Unit. As a Gold Paladin he remains a veteran ace.
- We Can Rebuild Him: His flavor text depicts this.
Wingal/Wingal Brave/Wingal Liberator/Seeker, Sacred Wingal
I know it, you're more courageous than anyone else!
Courage is always within you.
The blade of courage that surpasses despair. Its value is equal to that of gold.
No matter how far apart we are, I will always be by your side.
- Bling of War
- Dare to Be Badass: His flavor text.
- The Power of Friendship: Sacred Wingal's 'Legion' ability allows him to become stronger by joining forces with Blaster Blade Seeker, represented in game terms by their two cards linking together to form one single piece of art.
- Reckless Sidekick: Subverted. His recklessness is his positive trait.
- Team Pet: Is always on the frontlines alongside Blaster Blade.
Soul Saver Dragon
Holy Charging Roar will rock the soul of the brave.
Sanctuary Guard Dragon
Begone, evil! I am the sword, the guardian dragon of this sanctuary!
Beast Knight, Garmore/Fang of Light, Garmore/Great Silver Wolf, Garmore/Wolf Fang Liberator, Garmore
The fighting spirit is the fang to pierce the enemy! Glorious Fang!
Roar, silver wolf of the Gods! Glorious Break!
The Wolf Fang knight is a living legend
, and what the young knights aspire to be someday.
- Ancient Artifact: His Silver Wolf Armor.
- Animal Motifs: Dogs at first, then wolves in his Gold Paladin form due to his Beast Armor.
- Badass Army: Was part of one, and then formed another one to go save the first one.
- Badass Cape
- Noble Wolf: What his armor represents; a wolf that is knight-like and empowered by its pack.
- The Big Guy: His skill when he was a Royal Paladin fits with Royal Paladin's consistency, and his calling skill when he started as a Gold Paladin is the most consistent one available. Even as a Liberator, his random calling skill can turn into something useful by filling the field.
- Bling of War: His Grade 3 forms all wear shiny gold armor.
- The Chosen One: Of the Silver Wolf Armor.
- Covers Always Lie: Is prominently featured in the openning for the second season, even though Aichi rarely use him(if at all) until his Liberator version makes a debut one season later.
- Epic Hail: All of his forms have the ability to call out his comrades, but especially Wolf Fang Liberator, whose Limit Break can cause your field to go from empty to full in one move.
- Four-Star Badass
- Knight in Shining Armor
- Limit Break: Great Silver Wolf and Wolf Fang Liberator.
- The Mentor: Great Silver Wolf, Garmore was this to the newly-founded Gold Paladins.
- The Power of Friendship: Fang of Light gets +1000 Power for each Snogal and Brugal on your field.
- Wolverine Claws: Attached to his gauntlets.
- Wolverine Publicity: As noted above, Garmore is prominently featured in the anime openning for the second season, yet he is upstaged by Ezel. He make a return in the third season, except this time, he actually appeared frequently in a fight. It helps that Garmore is one of the more popular Gold Paladin.
Pure Heart Jewel Knight, Ashlei/Broken Heart Jewel Knight, Ashlei Я
Become the cornerstone of the future! Pure Foundation!
Now, my resolution is firm...Lost Foundation!
- Bright Is Not Good: Ashlei Я wears primarily white and red, yet as a whole she looks closer to a Link Joker unit than a Royal Paladin one.
- Childhood Friends: She's been friends with Feerless Jewel Knight, Julia since childhood.
- Cool Shades: Ashlei Я. It even resembles Kamina's or Squirtle's shades.
- The Corruption: Ashlei Я.
- Dark Messiah: Ashlei Я. Her wish for ideal peace is still the same as Ashlei even after being reversed. The only thing that changed is that she will DO ANYTHING for that goal.
- Dual Wielding: Ashlei Я
- Gainaxing: Shown in a "Blink And You'll Miss It" moment in episode 157. Apparently Masami Obari has influence way beyond Daikaiser and Omega Glendios.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Implied as she does not doubt or suspect others so her entourage has to keep a close eye on her.
- I Have Your Comrades: The Link Joker force her to surrender to them in return for sparing the paladins they had captured.
- Laser Sword: Of a rapier variant. Ashlei Я later dual wields a pair of those.
- The Leader: She's the Grandmaster of the Jewel Knights.
- Limit Break
- Magic Knight: Like all Jewel Knights, her armor and weapons are embedded with magical jewels.
- Master Swordswoman: Her skills with the sword are said to rival Blaster Blade.
- Power of Trust: The source of Ashlei's strength is "Trust".
- The Power of Friendship:
- Ashlei can give your new Vanguard +10'000 Power and +1 Critical, and her lore says that "She fights by believing in her own power, as well as her companions'".
- Used against her when the Link Joker use captured paladins as leverage to force her to surrender and Reverse her.
- Ashlei Я uses this in a darker manner: She locks one rearguard to retire an opponent's rearguard and call another Jewel Knight to your field.
- Royal Rapier: BEAM rapier. Ashlei Я later dual wields a pair of those that looks similarly to the Star Swords with a physical hilt.
- Super Mode: Broken Heart Jewel Knight, Ashlei Я
- Tempting Fate: Ashlei's lore cited she wields the "Pure White Pearl Jewel" which can never be clouded nor tarnished. Guess what happened. The jewel transformed into a color of pathetic grey, which is neither white nor black after being reversed.
Seeker, Thing Saver Dragon
Life and hope are my wings! Flash, Eternal Wing!
Give your lives to the cursed dragon!
A breakaway faction formed by dissenters to the United Sanctuary.
Following the defeat of their first leader, Phantom Blaster Overlord
, the Shadow Paladins formed a truce with the Royal Paladins. However, they were temporarily disbanded when their new leader- Blaster Dark- was sealed away by a mysterious force seeking to conquer Cray. After Blaster Dark was released, he reformed the Shadow Paladins as the "Revengers", a covert organisation that would protect Planet Cray from the shadows by any means necessary
, under the command of the mysterious Mordred Phantom.
In the alternate timeline created by Blaster Blade's disappearance
, the civil war unfolded as in the regular timeline, but Phantom Blaster was struck down by Alfred, and Blaster Dark ended up saving him. The Revengers were still founded and became the Sanctuary's black ops under Alfred's personal command, serving the Sanctuary by undertaking the missions that the Sanctuary's other forces could not perform.
As a dark counterpart
to the Royal Paladins, they use the same swarming tactics
but focus on sacrificing their superior numbers
to fuel the skills of their primary Vanguards.
Blaster Dark/Blaster Dark Spirit/Blaster Dark Revenger/Blaster Dark Revenger "Abyss"/Blaster Dark "Diablo"
Determination is the sword of darkness. Thunder forth, Blaster Dark!
Let's go, comrades, further into the Abyss.
- The Atoner: Dark Revenger is attempting to make up for all that he did in the past by protecting the United Sanctuary.
- Back from the Dead: While technically he's not dead (Only sealed away), but he will be back in spirit/astral/ghost form in the latest booster. Though he now has paper thin armor and can be retired even by the weakest attack.
- Badass Cape: As Dark Revenger
- BFS: The Blaster Dark.
- Black Knight
- Dark Is Evil: At first
- Dark Is Not Evil: However, he has since become a hero, fighting alongside his rival to protect the United Sanctuary, and founding the Revengers to combat Link Joker.
- Determinator: His sword is powered by his resolve.
- Evil Counterpart: To Blaster Blade, at first.
- Face-Heel Turn
- Gratuitous Spanish: The "Diablo" in Blaster Dark "Diablo"'s name is Spanish for Devil.
- Green-Eyed Monster: His reason for defecting is his raging jealousy of Blaster Blade. Ironically, he actually has green eyes.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: In the alternate timeline, he can sense that the universe has changed due to Blaster Blade's absence, and resolves to set it right.
- The Rival: To Blaster Blade
- Save the Villain: In the alternate timeline, he saved Phantom Blaster from death.
- Sealed Badass in a Can / Sealed Good in a Can: During the War of Liberation.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: His motive in the alternate timeline is to restore Blaster Blade, fixing the timeline.
- Shoulders of Doom
- Take Up My Sword: After their final confrontation, he gives his sword to Blaster Blade, allowing him to become Majesty Lord Blaster.
- Tron Lines: The lines are spiky compared to Blaster Blade's straight lines.
Phantom Blaster Dragon/Phantom Blaster Overlord/Gust Blaster Dragon/Revenger, Phantom Blaster "Abyss"/Black Shadow Dragon, Phantom Blaster "Diablo"
Death and Despair are my blades! Shadow Erosion!
Abandon all hope! For I am blacker than darkness and a fate worse than death!
The original Big Bad
of the Vanguard lore, and founder of the Shadow Paladins. He was originally "Sin Saver Dragon", the Guardian Dragon of the Planet Cray. This position connected him to the hearts and minds of Cray's inhabitants, and over many centuries he became increasingly jaded by the selfish thoughts and wishes he was exposed to. Eventually, the darkness warped him body and soul into Phantom Blaster Dragon, a creature of pure malevolence who gathered an army of despair (the Shadow Paladins) by preying on the weaknesses of the heart and manipulating people to his side. It is eventually revealed that he had been influenced by the power of Void, who wished to cause dissent on Planet Cray and weaken it in preparation for invasion.
After its defeat, the corrupt soul of Phantom Blaster Dragon was left to wander Planet Cray. When the forces of Link Joker invaded and plunged Planet Cray into despair, this soul was able to absorb enough negative emotion to form a new body for itself, becoming Ghast Blaster Dragon. However, the righteous part of his soul that was once Sin Saver Dragon also remained, and eventually reincarnated as Mordred Phantom
In the alternate timeline created by Blaster Blade's disappearance
in the Set 16 onwards arc, the civil war unfolded with Phantom Blaster being mortally wounded by Alfred at the war's end. As he was not judged by Majesty Lord Blaster, his soul did not split as it did in the main timeline. To save him, Blaster Dark performed a ritual where he bound his soul to Phantom Blaster's, branding them both with the word 'Abyss'. In return, Phantom Blaster has become a part of the Revengers.
- All There in the Manual: We only know of his Sin Saver Dragon form from the Shining Swordsman manga.
- Anti-Hero: As Phantom Blaster "Abyss"
- Bad Boss
- Big Bad: He's the creator of the Shadow Paladins.
- Big Good: Implied to be this before he went over the Despair Event Horizon.
- Blade on a Stick: His weapon is a dual-ended lance.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: Gust Blaster's name has gained some notoriety for this, as it's quite likely supposed to be Ghast Blaster, fitting the established Theme Naming of Phantom Blaster and his related units, and also coming across as a much more ominous name.
- Casting a Shadow
- Dark Is Evil: In spades.
- Deadpan Snarker: As Phantom Blaster "Abyss", he adopts a mocking and sarcastic tone around Blaster Dark.
- Despair Event Horizon: Seeing the darkness in the people he wanted to protect drove him completely over the edge.
- Dual Wielding: Phantom Blaster Overlord dual-wields two massive swords.
- Evil Counterpart: To Soul Saver Dragon and King of Knights, Alfred.
- Fallen Hero: According to Phantom Blaster Overlord's Card of the Day profile, Phantom Blaster was once a guardian dragon who protected United Sanctuary, but was corrupted after witnessing the darkness of many thousands of people and became consumed by despair. He fell into an abyss, and rose in his current form.
- For Massive Damage: Damned Charging Lance adds ten-thousand Power and a Critical to Phantom Blaster for the turn. If that hits, it will hurt.
- Heroic Second Wind: As Phantom Blaster "Abyss", his skill allows him to stand and attack once more by sacrificing his allies.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Phantom Blaster "Diablo" literally means Phantom Blaster Devil.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Damned Charging Lance. Taken Up to Eleven with the same skill as used by Phantom Blaster Overlord.
- Omnicidal Maniac:
- After becoming Phantom Blaster Overlord, he wants to kill everything.
- Made even worse as Gust Blaster, where this is literally all he has left.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Gust Blaster consists of Phantom Blaster's raw malice, which endured after he was killed.
- Our Souls Are Different: Dragruler Phantom's lore reveals that Phantom Blaster had two souls, that of his darkness and malice, and the soul of light he possessed as a guardian dragon. After his death, the two separated, with the dark soul becoming Gust Blaster, and the soul of light merging with a wounded knight to become Dragruler Phantom.
- Apparently on Cray, souls can be joined together, as this is how Blaster Dark saved Phantom Blaster in the alternate timeline.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Spell My Name with an "S":
- His guardian dragon form's name has been variously translated as either Sin Saver Dragon or Sing Saver Dragon.
- Gust Blaster's name was initially translated as Ghast Blaster by fans.
- Super Mode: Phantom Blaster Overlord
- Tron Lines: Phantom Blaster Dragon has two colors, normally at white blue but when Damned/Corrupted Charging Lance is used, it turns red.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: His way of powering his ultimate attack is to eat members of the Shadow Paladins that have outlived their usefulness. Phantom Blaster Overlord however averts this, he powers Damned Charging Lance with a higher Counterblast and discarding a copy of himself from your hand.
- He carries on the theme as Ghast Blaster and Phantom Blaster "Abyss".
Origin Mage, Ildona
Nothing can escape from its "long arms".
Darkside Trumpeter/Revenger, Dark Bond Trumpeter
When the trumpet sounded, the fallen warrior rose to his feet.
Yes... I called you. Do your best.
A girl who served in the Royal Paladins who envied Stardust Trumpeter. Her lore was originally translated as her being a boy who was mistaken as a girl, but recent re-translation has said this was a mistake.
Darkness Maiden, Macha/Nightfall Maiden, Macha
We'll show them who's more powerful! All troops, charge!
- Epic Hail: When she's called to the field, she can call forth other Shadow Paladins to the field.
- Evil Counterpart: To Hi-Dog Breeder Akane. Also to Knight of Truth, Gordon, owing to their identical statistics and completely polar philosophies.
- Face-Heel Turn
- Spell My Name with an "S": Marha? Maaha? Macha? English printing of the card confirms it's Macha.
- The Neidermeyer: She is reputedly a skilled, cunning commander with the fatal flaw of having almost no care for her subordinates' lives if it will mean the difference between victory and defeat.
- Tron Lines
- We Have Reserves: She was placed under house arrest by the Royal Paladins for exercising this belief in her strategy. She defected to the Shadow Paladins soon after.
The Dark Dictator
My sword shall guide you into the dark abyss...
Illusionary Revenger, Mordred Phantom/ Revenger, Dragruler Phantom
Now is the time to show them our resolution! Revengers, follow me!
You have great endurance. Let's finish this with my sword.
The enigmatic new leader of the "Revengers". No-one knows who Mordred Phantom is or why Blaster Dark would choose to make him the leader of the reformed Shadow Paladins: there are only rumours that he has protected Planet Cray from the shadows for many decades, appearing on bloodstained battlefields like a ghost and disappearing just as swiftly. He is actually the reincarnation of Phantom Blaster Dragon, or at least the part of his soul that was once the righteous Sin Saver Dragon. While the dark half of his soul created a new body for itself by absorbing the negative emotions of the Planet Cray, the light half lingered until it came across a mortally-wounded knight. For the sake of their mutual survival, they merged into one being: a body of darkness with a soul of light
Knight of Nullity, Masquerade/Transient Revenger, Masquerade/Nullity Revenger, Masquerade
A shadow knight truly understands the vast uncertainty.
The knights take on the duties of shadows with pride.
- The Atoner: As a Revenger, he fights because he is ashamed he allowed himself to be manipulated.
- Badass Cape: As a Revenger, Nullity Revenger has a crimson one.
- BFS: Knight of Nullity and Nullity Revenger both wield one.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Knight of Nullity was brainwashed and controlled by Phantom Blaster Dragon.
- Dark Is Evil: As Knight of Nullity due to being Brainwashed and Crazy.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Transient Revenger and Nullity Revenger
- The Faceless: He keeps his face hidden behind his armor out of shame at allowing Phantom Blaster Dragon to control him.
- Fallen Hero: He was once the 'Knight of Transcience' among the Royal Paladins, until Phantom Blaster Dragon took control of him.
- Foreshadowing: From Knight of Nullity's lore:
resulting in there being rumors that he is a but a puppet controlled by the powers of darkness wielded by Phantom Blaster Dragon.
- Knight Templar: His former identity, the Knight of Transcience, is implied to be one:
His true identity is "Knight of Transcience", a famed warrior who exterminated the evil with his merciless heart and sword.
Revenger, Raging Form Dragon
We, the ones living in the shadows shall take you down with all our might!
Oracle Think Tank
A Mega Corp.
which primarily deals in fortune telling. Their ability to predict the future is so valued that even the king of United Sanctuary seeks their council when making important decisions. A Running Gag
is that their weather forecasts are never
They specialise in creating hand advantage by using effects that let them draw additional cards, as well as manipulate their regular draws by checking and reorganising cards from the top of the deck.
- Big Good: The Royal Paladins and the Oracle Think Tank share a close relationship, with the Royal Paladins frequently hiring the Oracle Think Tank's services to predict how their battles will turn out and adjust their strategy accordingly. Alfred himself frequently hires the Oracle Think Tank to advise him on administering over the United Sanctuary. Considering who Alfred is, it says a lot about the goodness of the Oracle Think Tanks.
- Demoted to Extra: From a clan that was used by a main character that was put to the side lines since Misaki switched over to using Genesis in the Link Joker Arc.
- Mega Corp.: Played with. The Oracle Think Tank is a mega corporation spanning all of Planet Cray, but they don't have any Corrupt Corporate Executives nor any plans for world domination. Instead, their specialty is in predicting the future, concerning everything from one's love life to tomorrow's weather forecast.
- Running Gag: Their weather forecasts are never accurate. If they predict tomorrow will be sunny, it's going to be raining cats and dogs.
- Shout-Out: Numerous references to various religions and fields of science are present in the Oracle Think Tank's members.
- Theme Naming: After Japanese and Greek gods and deities.
Shape my desire. Project it before me, Yata no Kagami!
The sun, strict but loving, lights the way to a shining future.
Heh, if you wanna catch me, you gotta bring a pretty lady along with ya.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Even after death, he still chases after beautiful women.
- Finger Gun: His anime incarnation has a literal Finger Gun. The TCG/OCG card uses a standard handgun.
- Silent Tom Is About to Shoot You: The Japanese and English art for the card from the 2nd booster. The Korean version changed it to the anime incarnation of the card.
- Unblockable Attack: His skill prevents the opponent from using Grade 0 Units as Guardians when he attacks.
My lord, ask me if you need anything.
An agent force of the Battle Order "Sanctuary Guardians" that was secretly set up by the Oracle Think Tank Corporation in order to capture or kill criminals and unscrupulous companies. The agents are usually dressed up as nuns because ostensibly they are affiliated to the "Church." While the members are all excellent combatants and magic users, there are unexpectedly a lot of members with a quirky personality because they were assigned there due to circumstances that cannot be made public.
A group of statues that come to life, revealing robots underneath.
You must go through me for any business with the CEO.
A new order of Paladins founded after the dissolution of the Royal Paladin and Shadow Paladin clans during the War of Liberation. Their original purpose was to restore the two Paladin clans to their former glory by freeing their leaders from a mysterious seal
After they successfully free the sealed leaders, the Gold Paladins are formally recognised by Alfred, who gives them the title of "Liberator" and integrates them into the second standing army of the United Sanctuary. Joined by many heroes from Royal Paladin, the creed of the "Liberators" is to protect the liberty of people across the world and free them from the clutches of evil.
In terms of playstyle, the Gold Paladins are similar to the Royal Paladins, but they sacrifice consistency for speed, prefering cheap abilities that randomly Call units from the top of the Deck and skills that activate when a unit is called this way.
- Aborted Arc: The seven Beast Armors seem to be this, as after we got four of them (Ezel, Garmore, Vortimer, Pellinore), the bearers of the Blue Falcon, Purple Elephant and Green Deer armors didn't appear. In fact, it took until Season 3's penultimate set for the Green Deer corps to be revealed.
- Animal Motifs: All of them, more or less. This is because most of them wear replicas of the Beast armors that the Gold Paladins have recovered.
- Five-Man Band: The revealed Armor Bearers:
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The Sacred Beast armors.
- Heel-Face Turn: Quite a few Gold Paladins used to be Shadow Paladins.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Initially they were accused of this because there was no significant difference between them and the Royal Paladins. As the clan was expanded and developed it became clear that the Gold Paladins rely on cheap but random calls from the top of the deck. A smaller difference is that some Gold Paladins can retire retire their own rear-guards as an additional cost to activate their skills, like the Shadow Paladins.
- Theme Naming: Most of their knights have Arthurian names, like the Royal Paladins.
- The Remnant: Initially (season 2) they were what was left of the two previous Paladin clans after the 'seal' happened (including Garmore who was originally a Royal Paladin). After the War of Liberation ended the Gold Paladins became the second regular army of the United Sanctuary, so they stopped being this.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Despite being a major plot element for most of the War of Liberation, the Beast Armors are barely mentioned once Platina Ezel appears. All they receive in Season 3's lore is a token mention of Garmore entrusting his armor to Genesis for safe-keeping, before reclaiming it to fight Link Joker.
Incandescent Lion, Blond Ezel/Blazing Lion, Platina Ezel/Salvation Lion, Grand Ezel Scissors/Purgation Lion Emperor, Mithril Ezel
Now, the chains of fate are broken! Awaken, sealed warriors!
Release, King of Beasts! Salvation Roar!
- Anime Hair: A great big lion-like mane.
- Animal Motifs: Lions
- Beyond the Impossible: Invoked. As seen in his quote, above, his Limit Break broke the limit. Platina Ezel is the first to reach Limit Break 5 skill.
- Diagonal Cut: Scissors' art features him delivering one to a Link Joker ring.
- Dual Wielding
- Epic Hail: His skill lets him call a Unit from the top of your Deck.
- Expy: Of King of Knights, Alfred.
- The Hero
- Limit Break: All of his forms have a Limit Break skill. Platina's is Up to Eleven, seeing as it has the first Limit Break 5 skill, requiring five Damage to activate.
- The Power of Friendship:
- One of his skills lets him gain strength from his allies, empowering him by 1000 Power per other Gold Paladin in play. Ezel Scissors has the same ability.
- And Platina Ezel can empower every Rearguard by 5000 Power.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: In the battle against Link Joker, he returns with the power of Unlock without any explanation.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Oh boy this guy got it hard. Zeyer, Eisele, Ezel... it doesn't help that there was a minor Flip Flop of God. Word of God finally confirmed it as Incandescent Lion, Blond Ezel via Card of the Day text.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Often accused of this due to the Beast Armors seeming to become an Aborted Arc right around when his Crossride appeared. Also occurs in Season 3, where the instant he returns, he eclipses the Liberators by virtue of being able to literally cut through Lock.
- Super Mode: Platina Ezel and Grand Ezel Scissors.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Grand Ezel Scissors
Knight of Endurance, Lucan
The gold paladins relieved people from their despair.
- The Big Guy: As a Gold Paladin, he's this.
- Blood Knight: During the war, he joined the Shadow Paladins because he loved battle.
- The Brute: When he was a Shadow Paladin
- Heel-Face Turn: He was a Shadow Paladin during the war, but reformed after hearing Majesty Lord Blaster's speech.
Grassland Breeze, Sagramore/Precipice Whirlwind, Sagramore/Battlefield Storm, Sagramore
A wind blows through the plains. It carries the scent of an unknown land.
A gentle wind gathers force to become a blade to slash the enemy.
When the whirling wind becomes a storm, the boy shall become a warrior.
- Dual Wielding: Battlefield Storm.
- Took a Level in Badass: So much so that he went from Grade 0 to Grade 3. And as a Grade 3, he generated an armor said to be on the level of the Sacred Beast armors.
Black Dragon Whelp, Vortimer/Scout of Darkness, Vortimer/Black Dragon Knight, Vortimer/Spectral Duke Dragon
- Art Shift: When Spectral Duke's art was revealed, comparisons were made to Magic: The Gathering artwork due to the sheer shift in style from usual Vanguard art.
- Black Knight: As Vortimer
- Blade on a Stick: Black Dragon Knight and Spectral Duke use halberds.
- Bling-Bling-BANG!: Though less obvious than Pellinore's, Black Dragon Knight and Spectral Duke have a lot of gold on their armor.
- Call Back: His skill requirements are the same as Phantom Blaster Dragon's skill requirements. They're also both Abyss Dragons wielding polearm-type weapons.
- Darker and Edgier: Very noticeable when you compare Spectral Duke Dragon and the other Extra Booster 3 Gold Paladins to their more mainstream counterparts. Both in art style, and in how Spectral Duke Dragon sacrifices his allies.
- Dark Is Not Evil: His unit setting specifically states so. "The Armour of Black Steed harbours the power of darkness, but this dark is not evil as his will determines the path of this unleashed power should be used."
- Due to the Dead: The difference between the Black Horse Corps and the Shadow Paladins under Phantom Blaster is that the former respect the sacrifices made to achieve victory, and honor the dead.
- Expy: Of Phantom Blaster Dragon.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Spectral Duke's Limit Break allows him to attack once more by sacrificing his allies, regardless of whether the previous attack hit or not.
- The Lancer
- Limit Break
- One-Winged Angel: He is this to Black Dragon Knight Vortimer.
- Reincarnation: He's implied to be one for either Phantom Blaster or another legendary black dragon.
- Shout-Out: To Vortimer, an ancient king of Britain.
- Unexpected Character: After Spectral Duke Dragon was announced to be a Gold Paladin, just about no-one predicted that he'd carry on the Shadow Paladin use of allies over the Royal Paladin use.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Scout of Darkness, Black Dragon Knight, and Spectral Duke retire their fellow Gold Paladins to power their skills.
White Hare in the Moon's Shadow, Pellinore
With the entrusted feelings in their hearts, the knights set off filled with fighting spirit
Bluish Flame Liberator, Percival/Bluish Flame Liberator, Prominence Core/Bluish Flame Liberator, Prominence Glare
A knight... has something he would stake everything in order to protect.
Let the bonds of the soul, flash forth in blue! Prominence Burst!
Dance forth, o blue flames that birth stars, Prominence Glare!
A mysterious warrior who joined the forces of the Liberators in Blaster Blade's absence, Percival and his fellows wield the power of blue flames which are actually concentrated mana, focused by Lost Technology
. In truth, he is the leader of the Blaze Paladins, an ancient order lost to history who were brought forward in time by Zenon to protect Cray in Blaster Blade's absence. With the power of the guardian dragon, Thing Saver Dragon, Percival is able to take on draconic forms, increasing his power.
- The Ace: He is an excellent leader and a mighty swordsman.
- Anime Hair: His hair is ridiculously long.
- Bling of War
- But Now I Must Go: After Blaster Blade is restored, he and the other Blaze Paladins return to their original era.
- The Captain: He is actually the leader of the Blaze Paladins, an ancient order of knights brought into the present day by Zenon to protect history.
- Epic Hail: His skill allows him to summon a Liberator from the top of the deck when he enters Legion. Prominence Core and Prominence Glare on the other hand sacrifice an ally to call forth a Liberator from the deck.
- Famed In-Story: After he and the Blaze Paladins return to their own time, they have been lifted from obscurity and gained a place in the Sanctuary's history books for their efforts.
- Flaming Sword: In the made of fire variant.
- For Massive Damage: When a unit with the same name as one of your vanguard is called from the deck, Prominence Core gains Power and a Critical.
- Prominence Glare's Legion Skill also lets him gain a critical and prevent the opponent from calling grade 1 or higher units from his or her hand to the guardian circle.
- It Has Been an Honor: Says this to Blaster Blade before returning to his own time, also saying that he hopes they can face each other one day.
- Mysterious Past: Much like Mordred, no one's entirely sure where he came from or who he is.
- Mysterious Stranger: He joined the Liberators in the altered timeline and secretly ordered Aglovale to keep watch over Alfred. No one's really sure who he is or what he wants.
- One-Winged Angel: Prominence Core is Percival transformed into a Cosmo Dragon after receiving power from Seeker, Thing Saver Dragon.
- Our Dragons Are Different: As Prominence Core and Prominence Glare.
- Playing with Fire
- The Power of Friendship: He can Legion with Oath Liberator, Aglovale to unleash his true power. As Prominence Glare, he can Legion with Regulation Liberator, Aglovale.
- Technicolor Fire: Blue, of course.
- Unperson: The records of the Blaze Paladins were deliberately wiped from history, as the technology they used was exploited by villains and the king at the time wished to prevent it from being abused further. This is why no one knew who they were when Zenon brought them forwards in time to protect the Sanctuary. However, when they return to the past, they have been entered into history and the Sanctuary knows of their existence.
- Vindicated by History: Due to the Blaze Paladins' efforts to preserve the timeline in the present day, their existence was restored to the Sanctuary's history books, meaning that everyone knows who they are.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Prominence Core and Prominence Glare's Epic Hail skills requires a rear-guard to be sacrificed so that it can be activated.
A clan of angelic Combat Medics
They manipulate the Damage Zone to their advantage by switching cards between it and the Hand or Deck. They can also activate certain skills from the Damage Zone.
Mobile Hospital, Feather Palace
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: It's a general hospital that can transform into a human-shaped robot.
- Awesome but Impractical: Of all Megablasts revealed so far this unit's is the most difficult to use, as it needs to be the Vanguard and needs to hit the opponent's Vanguard. If you manage to pull it off, though, you can heal 1 damage for each Angel Feather Rearguard you have (so with 5 Rearguards you can heal all of your damage).
Critical Hit Angel
Prophecy Celestial, Ramiel/Cleanup Celestial, Ramiel Я
For the love of all creation! Believe, this is the prophecy!
This is the last prophecy... all creation will be punished!
A company founded by the new CEO of Oracle Think Tank, created to help change the fate of the world after she prophesied a doomed future. Their members are inspired by Greek
, and Norse mythology
The clan employs an aggressive card-burn strategy, using skills that Soulcharge multiple cards at once to fuel expensive but powerful Soulblasts. Some of their cards also activate their effects when they are removed from the Soul.
Battle Deity of the Night, Artemis
At least, rest in peace. Moonlight Nocturne!
- Greek Mythology
- Limit Break
- Red Baron: "Artemis" actually refers to the name of the bow. Every warrior who wields an Artemis-series bow is referred to by that name, and distinguished by the product number (eg: Artemis de Un, Artemis de Deux, etc.)
Eternal Goddess, Iwanagahime
She's the princess of the rocks. The goddess who brings everlasting peace.
A goddess who rules over the concept of "Firmness", making any surface under her feet a solid foundation. She was once a deity of war who would return from battlefields without any wounds, until the day her face was grazed by a single stone thrown by the enemy. This changed her outlook on life, and now she devotes herself to peace as much as she did to war. At Genesis, she is in charge of creating protective barriers.
- Awesome but Impractical: Her "Everlasting Vanish" Limit Break retires all Rearguards on the opponent's front row regardless of Grade, but costs a staggering Soulblast 6. Fortunately, Genesis is very good at filling up the Soul.
- Barrier Maiden
- Beam Spam: Her Limit Break, Everlasting Vanish
Omniscience Regalia, Minerva
All-knowing...... that is her power, as well as her responsibility.
The Kagero are a group of fire dragons
that rule the roost in Dragon Empire.
They focus on nullifying the opponent's Rearguard, using skills that force Rearguards to retire or preventing Intercepts. In turn, they gain additional power when an opponent's Rearguard is successfully put into the Drop Zone.
Dragonic Overlord/Dragonic Overlord The End/Dragonic Overlord "the Яebirth"/Perdition Emperor Dragon, Dragonic Overlord The Great/Dragonic Overlord "The X"
Burn, flame of despair! Eternal Flame
We have arrived. The sought after destination on the road to become the strongest!
Put an end to all. Come forth, Eternal Apocalypse!
Burst, flame of perdition! Eternal Explosion!
But, to gain strength... means to cross each other's path once more.
The commander and strongest general of Kagero, and the dragon who stands above all the dragons, bearing the title of "Overlord". One of the three great heroes who fought in the war against Shadow Paladin, as well as one of the three generals who got captured by Void after it. Considers Blaster Blade his rival.
- Badass: Dragonic Overlord The End is created by Dragonic Overlord burning up his own life-force to have the power to face off with Phantom Blaster Overlord and Majesty Lord Blaster.
- Cemented by Dragonic Overlord "The Яebirth". Every other unit succumbed to the Power of Reverse, in its case, the Power of Reverse succumbs to it.
- Bling of War: The Яebirth is covered in gold armor.
- Blood Knight: Will do anything just to get stronger to settle things with its rivals.
- Cast from Hit Points: His Super Mode is generated by burning up his life-force.
- Deep Sleep: As an effect for burning up its life force to become The End, Dragonic Overlord falls into an unwakeable sleep after the events of Season 1.
- Disney Death: The upper echelons of the Empire think it is dead, and even devise a plan to "dispose" off its remains.
- Dual Wielding: The End is Up to Eleven, it has four arms. It dual-wields a pair of burning swords, and a pair of massive guns!
- Fan Nickname: Ji Endo for Dragonic Overlord The End, from the Japanese pronunciation of 'The End'.
- ZA RIBAASU for the Яebirth, from the same source.
- Coupled with Fun with Acronyms, Dragonic Overlord The Great was hilariously nicknamed DOGE, mere hours after the release of its skill. It's real.
- Flaming Sword: The End and the Яebirth wield two.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Link Joker wanted to try and Reverse Overlord, but they didn't count on him hijacking Void's power and using it for himself.
- Hand Cannon: The two guns The End and the Яebirth use.
- He's Back: The entire point of the Яebirth is this. After foiling Link Joker's attempt to Reverse him by taking their power for himself, Overlord returns to settle things with Blaster Blade.
- Hot Wings: In all of his forms
- Kill It with Fire: His skill, Eternal Flame, lets him wipe out the entire enemy frontline.
- Limit Break: In his Break Ride incarnation and the Яebirth.
- Lonely at the Top: Invoked symbolically by the cost of the Яebirth's Limit Break, which requires you to Lock all of your rear-guards.
- Lost in Translation: The Яebirth's name is a pun, as in Japanese phonetics, 'Reverse' and 'Rebirth' sound exactly the same (this means that the Яebirth counts as a Reverse for Glendios' skills). Obviously, this pun doesn't work in English.
- Morton's Fork: It seems that Dragonic Overlord "The Cross" took a lesson from Maelstrom Reverse and now gives one. Either the opponent let it hit to let its Legion Mate, Dragonic Overlord The End's persona blast go off and restand, or guard it to let it's own persona blast go off and retire 2 of their rear guards.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Overly Long Name: At 48 characters, Perdition Imperial Dragon, Dragonic Overlord the Great is the longest name of any card in Vanguard.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: To the point he burns out his own life just to be strong enough to fight one last battle against his greatest rivals.
- Red Baron: "The Crimson Reaper" and "The Wind of the Apocalypse".
- Sealed Badass in a Can: Was sealed away after his last battle as the End, until Link Joker's failed attempt to Reverse him caused him to return as the Яebirth.
- The Power of Friendship: Dragonic Overlord the Great can Legion with Perdition Dragon, Dragonic Neoflame.
- Dragonic Overlord "The X", meanwhile, Legions with Dragonic Overlord the End. That's right, he Legions with himself.
- Considering that Dragonic Neoflame was created from the excess of power overflowing from Dragonic Overlord "The Great", you could say that Overlord "The Great" legions with himself too.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Eternal Flame. Dragonic Overlord The End ups the ante with Eternal Apocalypse. One of only two cards in the game (at the time) capable of dealing 6 or more damage by itself.
- And then there's the Яebirth, which can literally guarantee itself two attacks at 21000 Power every single turn.
- Worf Effect: Despite its huge success in topping real life tournaments, The End has yet to win a fight in the anime.
- The Яebirth fully averts this by curbstomping Ren in its first appearance.
- Similarly, Dragonic Overlord the Great beats Gaillard in his first appearance.
Incarnation of Victory, Aleph
Hear the cry of my soul! Eat this, Diablo Buster!
Blazing Flare Dragon
Dragons are immortal and our breath, infinite. The demonic fire, Immortal Flame!
Vanishing Field! Begone, mere underlings!
This cursed magic will now break the seal and destroy the fiery prison!
- Power Limiter: But it's been broken to fight back against the invading 'Link Joker'.
- The Dreaded: The higher-ups were reluctant to break the seal for a reason.
- Super Mode
Even the largest mountain can be crushed by the thundering waterfall from the skies.
Transcendence Dragon, Dragonic Nouvelle Vague
The moment of calamity has arrived, Catastrophe Coagulation!
Dauntless Drive Dragon/ Dauntless Dominate Dragon Я
Overcome the despair! If you do, I shall bestow upon you the dragon's powers!
Enlighten the weak of their feebleness... that is the duty of the strong.
Vortex Dragon/Perdition Dragon, Vortex Dragonewt
The hellfire that whirls through the battlefield, Burning Hell!
The leader of the advance troop of Kagero and the special force "Perdition".
A clan of warmachine dinosaurs
who double as personnel carriers
They tend to sacrifice their own units
as a cost for their high-powered attacks, but compensate with skills that call replacement units
from the deck.
Tear it apart, Tyranno-Fang!
Military Dragon, Raptor Soldier/Military Dragon, Raptor Sergeant/Military Dragon, Raptor Captain/Military Dragon, Raptor Colonel
Destruction Dragon, Dark Rex
It's still not enough...... Let me eat you too!
Ancient Dragon, Tyrannolegend
In the distant past, there was a legendary dragon which devoured everything.
A group of ninja beasts and dragons
In their original incarnation, they gained additional power when you had more cards in your hand than your opponent, supplementing this tactic with skills that forced your opponent to discard. However, this build was discontinued due to balance concerns and superseded by the Murakumo clan
until they were reintroduced years later.
Their new speciality is using the Bind Zone to manipulate the opponent's field and hand.
Steath Dragon, Voidmaster
Turn to stone! Ninjitsu, Evil-Eye Prison!
of ninja beasts and dragons
, introduced as a sister clan to Nubatama.
They use a hit-and-run cloning tactic, calling copies of Units from the deck and then returning those Units at the end of the turn. This allows them to apply temporarily field pressure without actually having to waste their hand, leaving them with more options to defend with.
Dueling Dragon, ZANBAKU
No one escapes from my sword! Bakugeki Slash!
Fantasy Petal Storm, Shirayuki
Perish like a dream. Stealth arts, White Out!
Covert Demonic Dragon, Hyakki Vogue Reverse
A clan of lightning dragons
who rose to the top spot of the Empire after the Kagero were sealed.
After the sealed Kagero clan was freed, the Dragon Empire took steps to ensure the same thing would never happen again and incorporated certain members of the Narukami into a new secret fighting force
: the Eradicators
, whose mission is to literally "eradicate" any and all enemies of the Empire.
Following the end of the war against Link Joker in the alternate timeline, the Eradicators had taken massive casualties, reducing their effectiveness as a fighting force. To compensate, a lone warrior assembled troops from across the Empire to form a new special division within Narukami, the Brawlers, who exercise their considerable might to demonstrate the Empire's military power.
Like Gold Paladins, their initial gameplay mechanics were incredibly close to their predecessors
, deploying a high-power offensive game that specialised in targeting Rearguard units. Later, the clan distinguished themselves (to a limited extent) by focusing on abilities that increased their own Critical score.
I will take on all of you at once! Vermillion Thunderbolt!
This is the last thunder. Let's go, Vermillion Catastrophe!
- Cast from Hit Points: THE BLOOD is the result of Vermillion drinking the blood of the Dragon Emperor, which gives him great strength at the cost of his life.
- Expy: A blatant one of Dragonic Overlord: Leader of his respective part of the Dragon Empire's military, has a skill to wipe out the opposing front row, base 11000 Power, wings of the respective element, royal title, skills that requires a Counter Blast 3, sacrifices his own life to achieve a Super Mode...
- Foreshadowing: In Set 5 the wording for Perfect Guard Units was changed so that they only protected one Unit at a time. A set later, Vermillion has the power to attack multiple Units at once...
- Limit Break: One of the Units with the new mechanic.
- No Kill Like Overkill: His skill lets him attack the entire opposing frontline at once. Notable in that he's the first card with such an ability.
- The Power of Friendship: Becomes the Legion Mate to Dragonic Kaiser Crimson in the second G Booster Set.
- Shock and Awe
Thunder Break Dragon / Eradicator, Vowing Sword Dragon/ Eradicator, Vowing Saber Dragon Я
Break the dark clouds! Barbaric Thunder Break!
Go forth, lightning of destruction! Lightning Overbreak!
Looks like you are the ones... who should be eradicated.
- Ascended Extra: Game-wise, anime-wise and lore-wise. As Thunder Break, it was only seen in Kai's damage zone and was never even used at all, it didn't have much of a role during the War of Liberation wherein it was completely overshadowed by Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion. But as Vowing, not only does it have a prominent role in the game as the 1st Narukami Break Ride, but it has more appearances in the anime and a larger role the current official lore. It's even the first unit to gain a Crossbreak ride.
- Call Back: He greatly resembles Amber Dragon Eclipse.
- The Corruption: Vowing Saber Dragon Я has been corrupted by Link Joker.
- Dual Wielding: Saber Dragon Я
- Limit Break: Chronologically one of the first two Units to have this ability.
- Person of Mass Destruction: As Saber Dragon Я, he can retire all of the opponent's rear-guards just for being Crossbreak ridden and using his Limit Break twice.
- Shock and Awe
- Super Mode: Vowing Saber Dragon Я
- Up to Eleven: Vowing Saber Dragon Я is the first Crossbreak ride.
Vajra Thunder Emperor, Indra
- Fan Nickname: "Buddha"
- No Kill Like Overkill: His skill lets him gain an extra critical for every unit of the same name in the Rear Guard Circle. He can hit for critical 6 if you have 3 more Indras and checks into a double Critical Trigger.
- Shock and Awe
Eradicator, Dragonic Descendant
Sword of Apocalypse... I'll teach you what that means!
- Cool Sword: His sword is one of the two Swords of Apocalypse, mighty treasures of the Dragon Empire.
- Expy: Like Vermillion, one of Dragonic Overlord. He's even more blatant because his sword is very similar to Overlord's and he's the same color, along with having a skill to stand after attacking. Not to mention using his Especial Counterblast in addition to his Limit Break results in +5000 Power and standing for Counterblast 3, the same as Overlord.
- For Massive Damage: His Limit Break gives him an extra Critical in addition to standing him.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: If his attack fails to hit, he can discard three Eradicators to stand again with his Limit Break.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Eradicator. Sword of Apocalypse isn't exactly a non-threatening name either.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Shock and Awe
I'll show you! Even the followers cower in fear of the sealing powers!
My body feels light... shall I proceed to conquer the skies
Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Dragon/Brawler, Big Bang Knuckle Buster
The punch that rocks the heavens and earth! Howl, Big Bang Knuckle!
After we send these guys flying, you're next!
Dragonic Kaiser Crimson
Now is the time, to surge forth together, Crimson Thunderbolt!
- Boring but Practical: His skill at first doesn't seem like much since all he does, other than a small power up ability, is just make the cost for his Legion Mate's skill completely free. However said Legion Mate is Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion. Vermillion attacks the opponent's entire front row. This also isn't a one time ability. There Is No Kill Like Overkill indeed.
- Limit Break: The first Legion unit to have a Limit Break ability.
- The Power of Friendship: Being a Legion unit, he thrives on this. However, unlike most Legion Leaders, his own skill is meant to completely support his Legion Mate's skill, to the point it seems that he's the Mate instead.
- Shock and Awe
- True Companions: To Vermillion.
A no-holds-barred fighting league that attracts the toughest fighters in the galaxy, with a presentation halfway between Professional Wrestling
and Mixed Martial Arts
They focus on Standing during the Battle Phase to get multiple attacks in one turn
, as well as unflipping cards from the damage zone.
Asura Kaiser/Immortal, Asura Kaiser
The death blow! Kaiser Buster!
With those results, they began to refer to him as 'Immortal'
- Demoted to Extra: It was featured in the opening, depicted as Kamui's Ace. It was never seen again after Kamui's first fight with Aichi, where Kamui switched to riding Mr. Invincible then switched his deck into a Stern Blaukluger one. The second time we get to see it to shine in Season 1 is Kamui's fight against Tetsu, which is Kamui's last fight in the season. Taken a worse turn in Season 2 and Season 3 where Kamui uses a Beast Deity and Raizer centric deck.
- He's Back: It is getting a Cross Ride in Extra Booster 08.
- Super Mode
- Temporary Substitute: His skill essentially turns all of your Grade 3 Nova Grapplers into Stand Triggers.
- Weapon of Choice: Has a different weapon in each hand.
Evil will never prevail! Help the good and punish the evil! Finisher, HELL STAND!
Useless Rules! Genocide Blaster!
3 minutes! I'll defeat you in 3 minutes!
Beast Deity, Azure Dragon/Ultimate Beast Deity, Illuminal Dragon
Beasts of the ring, show your fangs! Trample our enemies!
Beast Deity, Ethics Buster/Strongest Beast Deity, Ethics Buster Extreme/ Deadliest Beast Deity, Ethics Buster Я
I'm strong and you're weak. How's that for simple reasoning?
It's easy. The one stronger than anyone else is the strongest.
We shall repeat this...... until we reach a conclusion!
An interdimensional police force filled with toku heroes
and Humongous Mecha
, and their arch-enemies
The good guys
focus on increasing the power
of their own units, and gain additional skills when their power is high enough. The bad guys
have skills that decrease the power of their opponent's Vanguard, and gain additional skills when their opponent's power is low enough.
Super Dimensional Combining! Daiyusha!!
Ultimate Dimensional Combination! Great...Daiyusha!!!
The void has come! Dark Dimensional Combination, Reverse Daiyusha!
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Combining Mecha
- Goyusha combines with a few other Dimensional Robos to form Dayuusha.
- Twisted by Reverse Daiyusha, which is formed when Goyusha uses Lock to force the other Dimensional Robos to combine with him.
- The Corruption: Daiyusha's second lore (released on the 9th of August 2013) hinted towards this. It has come true during episode 135 of the anime when Dark Dimensional Robo Я Daiyusha is rode.
- Depower: Reverse Daiyusha reduces the Power of the opponent’s Vanguard bu 10’000.
- Fallen Hero: Reverse Daiyusha. 'The hero who loves the stars, who protects Star Gate, who believes in his friends, no longer exists.'
- For Massive Damage: Both forms have Critical-boosting skills, turning their attacks into this.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Before Set 8, if Daiyusha was generally remembered at all, it was as that Grade 3 Blaster Dark stomped all over in his introduction. But now, he has a Crossride form, putting him as an equal to the three most notorious Units in the game, Phantom Blaster Overlord, Dragonic Overlord The End and Majesty Lord Blaster.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: It felt that it is not strong enough to protect its comrades after the "First Assault on the Major Division" incident, which led to its corruption.
- Kill It with Fire: Reverse Daiyusha's Judgment Flame.
- Paint It Black: Reverse Daiyusha
- The Power of Friendship: Normal Daiyusha can gain an extra Critical if his allies empower him enough, while Great Daiyusha gains 2000 Power and 1 Critical if he has 3 or more Dimensional Robots in the Soul.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Reverse Daiyusha.
- Shout-Out: To just about every Combining Mecha out there. Word of God specified it to be a Shout-Out of the Brave Series.
- Super Mode: Great Daiyusha and Reverse Daiyusha.
- Super Robot
- Took a Level in Badass / Up to Eleven: When Set 4 was released, Daiyusha was overshadowed by Enigman Storm, and then in Set 5 by the Enigman Rain-Miracle Beauty combo. But then in Set 8, he got a Crossride form.
- The Worf Effect: Infamous for this after it got beaten by Ren's Blaster Dark in the Nationals Final, despite Daiyusha being a Grade higher than Blaster Dark.
Enigman Flow/Enigman Ripple/Enigman Wave/Enigman Storm
A hero is justice. A hero is an eternal mystery.
A little bit of courage starts out as a ripple, and eventually grows to become a big wave.
At that moment, the prayers of the little ones reached the hero痴 heart.
Love and valor fuel my power, Enigman Buster!
Larva Beast, Zeal/Eye of Destruction, Zeal/Devourer of Planets, Zeal/Galactic Beast, Zeal
One day, in a corner of space, the strongest creature is born.
At that time, a certain dimension is thrown in despair.
That particular Ultra Beast absorbs energy on an astronomical scale.
Anything in front of it will be destroyed. That's the Galactic Beast.
There's no difference between oil and blood! This is the beat of my justice!
I will lend you a hand! Don't show me a sorry sight!
- Combining Mecha: Kaizard combine with Kaiser Grader to become Daikaiser.
- Daikaiser combine with Shadow Kaiser to form Great Daikaiser.
- For Massive Damage: His Break Ride skill gives the new Vanguard plus one Critical.
- Guns Akimbo: As Kaizard.
- Humongous Mecha
- Ineffectual Loner: Kaizard is this at first, but eventually he learned the importance of fighting alongside with its friends and unlocks the "Ultimate Dimensional Combination" with Shadow Kaiser.
- Limit Break
- Shields Are Useless: Daikaiser's Break Ride skill lets the new Vanguard retire one of the opponent's guardians if it checks a Grade 3, and if the retired unit was a Perfect Guard, its skill is nullified.
- Shout-Out: Along with Daiyusha, Kaizard and Daikaiser pays homage to the first installment of the Brave Series, Brave Exkaiser. Especially the part where Kaizard combines with an armored vehicle to become Daikaiser.The design of Daikaiser also pays homage to Gravion and Compatible Kaiser, all designed by Masami Obari.
- Super Mode: Great Daikaiser
- Super Robot
Original Saver, Zero
Before light and dark were split apart, the first hero of that world was born.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Especially since his abilities are in line with the dark elements of Dimension Police, but he is a hero who has defended Cray since ancient times.
- Depower: His Break Ride skill reduces the opposing Vanguard's Power by 5000 for a turn.
- Heroes Prefer Swords
- Limit Break
- My Hero Zero
- Shrouded in Myth: He has protected Cray since ancient times, but no one is sure exactly who he is or why he fights.
- Time Abyss: He has been around since before the continents of Cray separated.
A pure cameo
"Do you know? Blaster Blade is the name of the weapon."
A group of highly-advanced extraterrestrials who launch a full-scale invasion of Planet Cray, starting with the territory of Star Gate. Their arrival forces the various nations of Cray to band together and defend the planet. The units of Link Joker can be distinguished by their crimson-red Tron Lines
and the black rings that act as the source of their dark power.
Their key mechanic is the ability to "Lock" Units, turning them face-down so that they are no longer treated as "in-play" but continue to occupy a Rearguard circle. The "Deleter" subclan also uses the "Delete" skill, which reduces a Vanguard's power to 0 and nullifies their abilities.
- Apocalypse How: They specialise in Class 4 Planetary, having done it at least three times. Once by creating a world so covered in ice it doesn't know what 'melting' is, once by creating a world consumed in fire, and once by making a world where Time Stands Still permanently.
- The Assimilator: They attempt to assimilate the strongest into their ranks.
- Ironically, they are beaten by being assimilated themselves into Cray, becoming another one of its Clans.
- Big Bad: Of the Link Joker/Booster Set 10-Present arc.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: What happens to a Unit that gets taken over by one of their black rings.
- The Corruption: They can take control of Planet Cray's native Units, corrupting them into Я ("Reverse") Units.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: Hinted at by their unique races all having 'Cyber' in their names, and the circuitry patterns on some of their units.
- Hijacked by Ganon: The beings of Link Joker are said to be avatars of Void, the recurring Big Bad to the Planet Cray.
- Hostile Terraforming: Implied to be how they covered two planets in fire and ice respectively to kill all life on them.
- Insectoid Aliens: The "Deleter" subclan, as opposed to the cybernetic Star-vaders.
- Shout-Out: Their lore with regards to being cybernetically enhanced beings who aim to assimilate others into their ranks is very reminiscent of both the Borg and the Cybermen.
- Sigil Spam: Their black rings are on all of their units, as well as on the Reverse units.
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien
- Theme Naming: Some of their units are named after the elements of the periodic table.
- Tron Lines
Hollow Twin Blades, Binary Star/Twin Gunner of Binary Star
Link Joker is a mutated alien force, and their existence cannot be proved by magic or science.
Star-vader, Nebula Lord Dragon
Lock... Lock... Lock... you too.
Star-vader, Chaos Breaker Dragon
My declaration. You will request to be locked.
Star-vader, “Ω” Glendios
This is the final weapon
, created to destroy countless hundreds of millions of worlds.
- Awesome but Impractical: The Instant-Win Condition may be flashy, but it is very hard to pull off successfully. As an Ultimate Break, it requires you to be at five damage or above (which is dangerous). It requires five Locked Units, which means an opponent can shut it down by leaving one of their Rearguard circles open. Finally, a Glendios deck requires "Reverse" units to power its main skill: not only does this risk an uneven grade ratio in your deck, but the "Lord" skill prevents any Reverse unit from attacking unless Glendios is your Vanguard.
- Doomsday Device
- From Nobody to Nightmare:
- It went from being just a new model of Cyber Golem Chaos Breaker came up to 'the worst weapon ever created'.
- Meta example: new support was revealed that aid in addressing Glendios's flaws, such as forcing calls that then get locked, returning "Reverse" units to the hand, a First Vanguard that allows hand-swapping, etc.
- Expy: Appearance wise, it looks like the titular mech of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, painted in the anti-spiral colours, antagonist of said anime series. Skill-wise, the auto win condition make it an expy of Exodia.
- Instant-Win Condition: If your opponent have 5 or more locked units at the start of your main phase, you instantly win the game.
- Limit Break: It is the first unit to have both a Limit Break and Ultimate Break skill.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Omega can also means "the end", and one of its Limit Break is an Instant-Win Condition called World End in the anime.
- The Power of Hate: It is fuelled by the negative energy harvested from the Reverses.
- Super Prototype: It was originally intended to be just a prototype for a new form of Cyber Golem, before Chaos Breaker gave it power from the Reverse units.
- Super Robot
Star-vader, Blaster Joker
The knight of another world asks 'what is the meaning of bonds'.
This is the form of Blaster Blade after he was captured and corrupted by Link Joker. He has been placed under an advanced form of "Reverse" that has stripped him of his original emotions, driving him insane due to the dissonance within his memories.
Companion Star Star-vader, Photon
Now, you can return to the beginning like your comrades.
- Dual Wielding: Uses two swords in battle.
- Grew Beyond Their Programming: After his battle with Blaster Blade, he began to act on his own and to learn emotions.
- Klingon Promotion: He secretly murdered his superior, Garnet Star Dragon, and claimed success for the capture of Blaster Blade in his stead.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: Reported Garnet Star's death as an unfortunate accident and is implied to have caused the latter's death.
- Master Swordsman: Described as such. Blaster Blade himself agrees, comparing its skills to those of his country's generals.
- Meaningful Name: A companion star is the name given to the smaller star in a binary star pair. He's the grade 2 mate unit to both Star-vader, Garnet Star Dragon and Star-vader, Blaster Joker.
A clan of undead pirates
who haunt the high seas.
They dump units into the Drop Zone so that they can be "resurrected" back into play, bolstered by their ability to use skills from the Drop Zone.
King of Demonic Seas, Basskirk
This is the door to the Demonic Seas. Open, Bermuda Gate!
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's pretty much the strongest of the Grand Blue Clan.
- Awesome but Impractical: You're more likely to use your Counterblasts on Captain Nightmist and other units. Prior to Booster Set 6 they had no method of unflipping damage outside of healing it off, making it very unlikely to pull this off all too much. And even after Booster Set 6 you’re still more likely to use your Counterblasts and Soulblasts on other units than on his Megablast.
- Epic Hail: He has a powerful Megablast which allows him to fill the field with reinforcements from the Drop Zone.
- Shout-Out: He resembles Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Captain Nightmist/Lord of the Seven Seas, Nightmist
Pirates can be resurrected any number of times!
You scallywags, raise the sails! Don't you dare look down on pirates!
Ice Prison Necromancer, Cocytus/ Ice Prison Demonic Lord, Cocytus Я
You sinners of the Ice Prison, Lock... This is the name of the renewed Jail.
Pop idol mermaids
with a bit of Moe
Their main gimmick is returning their own units to the hand and calling them back to the field, allowing them to re-use their skills and gain additional attacks.
Top Idol, Flores
Let me give to you my voice! If you keep singing, surely you'll reach them!
Everyone, let's sing together! You will surely feel the greatest happiness!
That is an everlasting dream, an admiration that lasts forever.
She will continue to evolve as usual. That is why she is the eternal idol.
Angelic Star/Fresh Star/Shiny Star/Aurora Star, Coral/Shangri-La Star, Coral
I'm not perfect. But I can aspire to be.
It was said that one of the judges was replaced by a stuffed animal.
That performance went live all over the world, and became a legend.
Her new song will certainly hit more than 2 million copies.
Her albums, are all valued as best-sellers.
Costume Change, Alk/Costume Idol, Alk
The path to a top idol is to start laying the right foundations.
That's right, she is, indeed the famous star who can stylishly wear a thousand different costumes.
A legendary naval power that once ruled the world of Cray For Great Justice
, though at times to extremes
Their units gain additional power and skills depending on the order and number of their attacks. To support this tactic, they have skills that let them reposition or Stand their own units to gain additional attacks.
- Awesome but Impractical: The general consensus amongst the professional scene is that Aqua Force is incredibly powerful but very hard to use in high-level play, requiring precise timing and a very keen ability to read the board.
- Knight Templar: The admiral believes the only way to bring eternal peace to Cray is by conquering it.
- Shout-Out: In terms of the appearance of their humanoid units and their obession with justice, they appear to be based on the Marines from One Piece.
- Theme Naming: After ships and vessels in the US Navy.
Naval Gazer Dragon
Listen to the lament of the blue dragon, which even makes the oceans boil!
Drain the chaos! Judgement Maelstrom!
This is the final judgment. Terminal Maelstrom!
Sink into the surging void! Reverse Maelstrom!
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's a Vice Admiral of Aqua Force.
- Awesome Personnel Carrier: He can carry 'countless' numbers of troops into battle via the pods on his back.
- Breath Weapon: Dark purple flames for Glory Maelstrom.
- The Corruption:
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to Maelstrom's relatively light coloration, Glory Maelstrom has darker scales, a dark violet face, and a much more horrific and monstrous appearance.
- Dark Is Evil: Glory Maelstrom with his really dark purple scales.
- For Great Justice
- Four-Star Badass: The fact he's a dragon larger than a battleship might have something to do with it. But he's still a Vice Admiral.
- Identical Stranger:
- Played for laughs where players noticed how similar Glory Maelstrom's appearance is to of all things, Whiscash. Perhaps it's the whiskers/feelers...
- Maelstrom Я to Arcade Hecarim. Here's a pic◊ of it.
- Knight Templar
- Limit Break: Taken Up to Eleven by Glory Maelstrom, which is one of three Units to possess the Limit Break 5 skill, Ultimate Break.
- Macross Missile Massacre: The original Maelstrom's attack as depicted in the anime.
- Making a Splash
- Morton's Fork: Maelstrom Я's Limit Break is pretty much this, your opponent either don't guard its attack and take 2 damage, or guard it and have 1 of their rear guards retired and lets the player draw a card.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Maelstrom Я is a Winged Centaur Robot Dragon.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Super Mode: Glory Maelstrom
- Took a Level in Badass:
- Maelstrom was prone to being stonewalled by Perfect Guard Sentinel Units. And then he became Glory Maelstrom, whose Ultimate Break prevents such Units from even being called to protect against his attack.
- Maelstrom Я takes it to another level, it still allows Perfect Guard Sentinel Units to be called but its Limit Break will go off if it is stonewalled.
- Wave Motion Gun: Maelstrom Я uses one to attack.
Thundering Ripple, Genovious
For absolute justice! Arise, children of the blue dragon!
Blue Wave Dragon, Tetra Drive Dragon/Blue Storm Wave Dragon, Tetra Burst Dragon
The raging stream of battle spirit right back at you! Go wild, Storm Driver!
- Badass Army: Its entire squadron.
- BFG: The Dual H-Cannon mounted on its shoulder. Note that it was normally used as a shipboard artillery.
- Catchphrase: "Adversity is the best occasion for advance"
- Determinator: Its entire squadron will not back out even if they are forced to fight in a disadvantage situation.
- Fan Nickname: A water type and 2 shoulder mounted cannons, it just took a minute for fans to nickname it "Blastoise."
- Foreshadowing: In episode 94, Kyou stated that Leon's Vanguard, who has the Limit Break, can't stand anymore. Now Aqua Force gets their Vanguard that is able to restand itself.
- For Massive Damage: Tetra Burst's skill allow him to gain an extra critical.
- Four-Star Badass: It's a Rear Admiral, only a rank below Maelstrom, who is the Vice Admiral.
- Limit Break
- Heroic Second Wind: Its Limit Break allows it to stand again for another attack.
- Making a Splash
- Meaningful Name: Its Limit Break allows you to do 4 drive checks, hence the name Tetra Drive.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Like the other dragons in Aqua Force, he is a Tear Dragon.
- The Power of Friendship: Tetra Burst can perform legion with Blue Storm Marine General, Starrus.
A clan of demons and other dark beings.
Their tactic is to amass cards in the Soul, giving dramatic power boosts to certain units when enough cards have been stacked and using Soulblasts to power their skills.
Poet of Darkness, Amon/Demon of Aspiration, Amon/Demon World Marquis, Amon/ Demon Marquis, Amon Я
The whisper of the devil. A magical trap hidden behind sweet words.
These are true powers. But still, not enough.
This is the real power! Inferno Ritual!
Give it to me... your souls, your flesh, even the entire world.
Her beautiful black hair will prey even on the devil.
Learn it with your body! Black Downfall!
Let me dye you red! Scarlet Tear!
Imprisoned Fallen Angel, Sarael
There's no point... Asking me... ... If you don't free me... ...
One who approaches gets deprived of life, then turns to ice and shatters.
Hey, your life, can I taste it~?
March Rabbit of Nightmareland
Oh no, that won't do. It's not acceptable to disturb the tea party.
Dark Queen of Nightmareland
Yes, let the end begin!
King of Diptera, Beelzebub
Vanguard's own Circus of Fear
Like Dark Irregulars, they amass cards in the Soul, but instead use them to switch cards between the Soul and Rearguard to gain additional attacks.
Crimson Beast Tamer/Turquoise Beast Tamer
Twin sisters that are the backbone of the circus.
Nightmare Doll Alice
Silver Thorn Dragon Tamer, Luquier/ Silver Thorn Dragon Queen, Luquier Я/Silver Thorn Dragon Empress, Venus Luquier
Go forth, Silver Thorn Serpents!
Be Reversed. Soon, you, too, shall be my servant.
Come along with me, my Silver Thorn Servants!
Silver Thorn Hypnos, Lydia
Please sleep...... Deeper, yes, deeper......
A demonic American Football
They Zerg Rush
the opponent by calling additional Units from the hand or deck during the Battle Phase.
Smash to smithereens, Defensive Tackle!
Demonic Lord, Dudley Emperor
An enigmatic Clan who appeared from the ruins of an lost civilisation within Dark Zone. Gear Chronicle are comprised of the Gear Dragons and their allies, and harass temporal energies by using "Time Engines" to power their abilities. They seem to be working to counteract the effects of the "Space-Time Overlap Phenomenon" and "Stride" upon the Planet Cray.
They use cheap skills to send an opponent's Rearguards "back in time" to the bottom of their Deck. They can also "freeze time" to prevent Units from being called to the Guardian Circle, and send their low-Grade Units "forward in time" by returning them to the deck and replacing them with high-Grade Units.
Chrono Jet Dragon
The new future begins now.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Time Stands Still: Its ability to prevent Grade 1 or higher units from guarding its attack is it freezing time to stop the guardians from blocking it.
- Time Travel: One of his powers sends enemy units back in time, represented by his ability to send a rear-guard to the bottom of the deck.
Interdimensional Dragon, Mystery Flare Dragon
Now is the time to show it, the world that I truly wish for-!
- Awesome but Impractical: Its skill might be powerful but it requires Mystery Flare Dragon's attack hitting a Vanguard, the top four cards of your deck having different grades, and a counterblast of 4.
- Extra Turn: The first Vanguard unit to have the ability to grant one.
- Our Dragons Are Different: A Gear Dragon, just like the other dragons in Gear Chronicle.
- Time Master: His ability is described as accelerating time.
The insect mafia.
They forbid the opponent's Rearguard from Standing on your opponent's next Stand Phase, reducing the opponent's options and offensive power.
- Demoted to Extra: Megacolony was already one of the lesser clans before the introduction of the Link Joker clan, whose "Lock" ability basically does the exact same thing as Megacolony but better. Word of God has stated that Megacolony will receive additional support in future expansions to compensate for this.
- Took a Level in Badass: And they certainly did get support with the Infinite Rebirth expansion. Their Break Ride unit switches all of the opponent's Units (including the Vanguard) to Rest and prevents them from standing. This makes them the only clan that can lock down a Vanguard, at least if the opponent can't (or won't) Ride a new one during their next Ride Phase. Not even Link Joker can stop a Vanguard from attacking.
A university of highly intelligent animals
They specialise in Explosive Overclocking
of their own Units, granting incredible power boosts at the cost of being forced to retire those Units after battle.
Scientist Monkey, Rue
Filled with genius, filled with power! Mad medicine!
School Hunter, Leo-Pald/School Punisher, Leo-pald Я
Researchers run through the plains of knowledge hunting for the truth.
Yes, that "was" the ultimate truth. From now on, this is the truth!
Pencil Squire, Hammsuke/Pencil Knight, Hammsuke/Pencil Hero, Hammsuke
Battler of the Twin Brush, Polaris
Second Wind, let's show them the power that lies beyond the limits!
Omniscience Dragon, Managarmr
Omniscience, is to know the ignorance of eternity.
A clan of nature spirits
combined with La Résistance
They focus on consistent field advantage, "planting" their own units back into the Deck in order to Superior Call more powerful ones.
Knight of Harvest, Gene
- Epic Hail: Can call two younger versions of himself from the Deck by returning himself to the deck.
Arboros Dragon, Sephirot
Descend, Flower Blizzard! Blessings on all living creatures!
The Cray Elementals are primordial spirits that have existed on Planet Cray since the dawn of time, originally manifesting as formless concepts like "Energy" or "Magic". They have recently gained the ability to take on temporary physical forms by tapping into a mysterious power deep within the planet, responding to the wishes of those dwelling upon Planet Cray.
Cray Elementals belong to every Clan and Nation simultaneously, and can thus be included in any Deck without restriction. More importantly, they are Grade 4 "G Units" (as opposed to "Normal Units"), which can only be brought to the field by using the "Stride" skill to summon them from the "G Zone" for one turn.
Shining on the darkness of chaos, oh grand light of truth—-!
The third Grade 4 card in the game. In the Neon Messiah
film, it is the legendary Messiah which will be given to the winner of the Messiah Scramble tournament.
A mysterious dark force that acts as the Big Bad
to Cray, and by extension, the series itself. Void is described as "the power of nothingness
": a nihilistic force that spreads across the universe without cause or consciousness, robbing the planets it conquers of life and light. The "Link Joker" clan and their "Lock" ability are said to be physical manifestations of Void.
A being infected with the power of Void is granted incredible strength: unleashing their repressed desires, granting supernatural powers (such as telekinesis) and enhancing their existing abilities. This property of Void would later be refined into a process known as "Reverse", which does not grant additional powers but completely twists a victim's personality into one that unquestioningly follows the will of Void