- Crowning Simile of Awesome: "Old College Try."
In the way those eyes I've always loved illuminate this place
Like a trashcan fire in a prison cell
Like the searchlights in the parking lots of hell
- The end of "The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton."
When you punish a person for dreaming his dream
Don't expect him to thank or forgive you
The best ever death metal band out of Denton
Will in time both outpace and outlive you
HAIL SATAN, TONIGHT!
HAIL SATAN! HAIL, HAIL! HAIL, HAIL!
- "Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod?"
Held under these smothering waves
By your strong and thick-veined hand
But one of these days I'm going to wriggle up on dry land.
- The terminally ill narrator's refusal to feel sorry for himself in "Isaiah 45:23."
And I won't get better but someday I'll be free
'Cause I am not this body that imprisons me
- The declaration in "This Year":
I am gonna make it through this year, if it kills me.
- The final verse from "Up the Wolves":
I'm gonna bribe the officials
I'm gonna kill all the judges
It's gonna take you people years to recover from all of the damage
Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome
But there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home