Summer Days with Coo (Kappa no Kū to Natsuyasumi, Summer Vacation with Coo the Kappa) is a 2007 Japanese animated film directed by Keiichi Hara.Coo, a Kappa who, after witnessing the death of his father at the hands of a samurai, survives for 200 years trapped in the earth as a fossil before being found and resuscitated by a young boy named Koichi in modern day Tokyo.The story follows Coo’s friendship with Koichi and his family, the challenges he faces living in a drastically changed environment, his search for the remaining Kappas and his impact on the world around him.
This film provides examples of:
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Coo gets drunk very easily.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Coo's father at the beginning of the film is gruesomely killed by a samurai sword which also takes off his arm.
- Also there's the bird that Coo causes to explode.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Coo, though the fact that he's a Kappa probably causes more problems for him.
- Interspecies Friendship: Much of the film revolves around the friendship between a kappa and a human. Coo and the family dog Ossan also seem to have this.
- Japanese Politeness: Coo demonstrates this.
- Living Relic: Coo, possibly. He’s from the Edo period.
- Ocean Awe: Happens to Coo when Koichi brings him to the seaside.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Coo is very strong for his size, and is able to outwrestle both Koichi and his father, and toss Koichi’s sister across the room.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Coo’s father looked basically just like a taller version of his son.
- Telepathy: How Coo and the family dog communicate. Later, Coo does it with Koichi.
- Verbal Tic Name: Coo.
- Youkai: Aside from Coo, there’s also a Zashiki-warashi and a Kijimuna.