Despera is an upcoming anime (and companion manga) by the creators of Serial Experiments Lain, and may possibly be a Spiritual Successor or even a prequel.The story set during the Taisho era will center around a 12-year-old girl named Ain with a familiar hairstyle. She lives in the cellar of the Ryōunkaku, Japan's first skyscraper and builds devices far ahead of the current time period. These include computers with cathode ray tube display monitors and type writer keyboardsHer inventions are funded through a myserious man called Takeshita, who claims he can see the future in Ain's computer screen's. Other people taking an interest in Ain and her inventions are a military officer called Enoshi, sent to investigate some unexplained electrical currents, and an aristocrat named Kimiyasu Fuenokōji. Living with the latter is Barbara Andrei, a Russian aristocratic refugee from Harbin.Expect excellent character designs and Mind Screw. Currently in Development Hell due to the health problems and later passing away of the director on June 29, 2013 (the news of his death was announced on July 25, 2013). As of 2015, A Be announced that they will proceed with a new director.
Despera contains examples of:
- Cyber Punk: Despite being set in a Diesel Punk setting, it looks like computers will play a large role.
- The Faceless: Takeshita's face isn't shown in any illustration.
- Imperial Japan: The setting. Specifically the Taisho era, the democratic Hope Spot before the country slided into military dictatorship.
- Ms. Fanservice /Sensual Slavs: Barbara Andrei. Ain is scared of her however because Europeans were a rare sight in Japan at the time and she has never seen one before.
- Shock and Awe: Seems this will be an ability of Ain.
- The Tower: Ain lives in the Ryounkaku, at the time Japan's tallest building.