Cybernetics Guardian (often shortened to Cyguard
) is a 1989 one-shot cyberpunk OVA, directed by Koichi Ohata, who is known for also directing MD Geist
and animated by AIC
(who also animated Genocyber
). Parts of its soundtrack was produced by the Japanese metal band Trash Gang
While mostly a Mecha OVA set in a futuristic city. It also has noticeable influences from classic horror films - mainly Frankenstein
and King Kong
It was dubbed into English by Central Park Media, and released under their US Manga Corps
label in 1996.
Cybernetics Guardian contains examples of the following tropes:
- Anime Hair - Adler's big up-swept purple haircut, and the Cyguard itself.
- Autobots, Rock Out! - The big climatic battle is almost entirely backed by metal music.
- Cyborg - Adler turns himself into one, to get revenge against John
- Dystopia - The futuristic city of Cyber-wood, host to a enormous violent slum named "Cancer". Subtle.
- Fun with Acronyms - SGC, which is supposed to stand for Central Guard Company. This error is kept in the english dub.
- Gorn - Plenty of it.
- Sliding Scaleof Idealism Versus Cynicism - Notably less cynical than Ohata's other works. The protagonist, while transformed into a monster and brainwashed into killing lots of people, eventually regains his own will and manages to return to normal.